Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Pratt 3rd Downs
(12-15-2022, 04:57 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Sure, then you just need to tell Burrow that he should keep putting his body on the line without any long term security because he's not worth it like Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Hurts, Tua, Watson, and Murray. It'll do wonders for the relationship, I am sure.

they'll give him the extension this offseason like you say

but Mike and the rest of the front office could theoretically have a discussion with Burrow about the situation, and the options. Both have positives and negatives
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2022, 04:13 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Maybe. 

Williams has graded out better in previous years an played through a nasty injury this. Karras has been excellent lately. Collins is mauling people in the run game, but has struggled at times poss blocking. And Volson is improving. 

This year, I'd pick Cappa or Karras. But Volson's trajectory coukd catch both. I think OT is shakier than the interior at the moment, and that feels weird to say, given recent history. 

It is a nice argument to have, cannot disagree with any of this. Pretty awesome when you cannot figure out really which player is 
the best on our OL. For years it was always 1 guy who was clearly better than everyone else, Jonah and before him, Whit. Now we
have multiple talented OL in their prime and 1 guy who is a rookie with a very high ceiling. Might be the best rookie OL in the NFL
this year.

(12-15-2022, 04:43 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Cappa is undoubtedly 1, Karras is 2

I wouldn't say undoubtedly. I saw Cappa whiff on a couple blocks against the Stains.

Not the case with Karras who has played about perfect as of late.

(12-15-2022, 04:57 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Sure, then you just need to tell Burrow that he should keep putting his body on the line without any long term security because he's not worth it like Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Hurts, Tua, Watson, and Murray. It'll do wonders for the relationship, I am sure.

Yeah, just keep the guy happy as can be is my vote. They should give him the extension this Offseason no doubt.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2022, 05:01 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: they'll give him the extension this offseason like you say

but Mike and the rest of the front office could theoretically have a discussion with Burrow about the situation, and the options. Both have positives and negatives

And Burrow would likely theoretically say that a conversation about the situation isn't the same as getting a $30-50m signing bonus on the spot and $200m guaranteed that will protect him from the consequences of a career ending or ability debilitating injury, all of which could vanish into the wind if his already surgically rebuilt knee gets blown out in 2023 without an extension, or he gets a neck or spine injury. 

It's a business and he's in line to only make $5.5m next year and all his peers are getting financial security with contracts. You also want to keep him happy as you're going to want him around to be the face of the franchise for the next 12-15 years.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2022, 05:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I wouldn't say undoubtedly. I saw Cappa whiff on a couple blocks against the Stains.

Not the case with Karras who has played about perfect as of late.

just because Ted outplayed Cappa in that specific game doesnt mean Karras is as good as Cappa

Cappa is the best lineman cincy has. That's not a knock on Karras
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2022, 05:16 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: just because Ted outplayed Cappa in that specific game doesnt mean Karras is as good as Cappa

Cannot disagree, Cappa is a stud no doubt.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2022, 04:34 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: In the modern NFL, once a franchise QB is first available to get a contract extension, you have to give him one or you're showing you have zero commitment to that player and are likely going to move on from them. Look at starting QBs drafted the previous 5 years when they became eligible for an extension with their team...

Extension After Year 3:
Patrick Mahomes
Josh Allen
Deshaun Watson
Kyler Murray

No Extension After Year 3:
Mitchell Trubisky
Baker Mayfield
Sam Darnold
Lamar Jackson
Daniel Jones

...so next offseason Burrow needs to get an extension. Cap rising or not, you can't treat your franchise QB as a lesser of other franchise QBs and expect good things. You can be pretty positive that Herbert, Hurts, and Tua are all getting extensions this offseason. That'd make the situation even worse than Lamar's with Baltimore, even more so because Burrow showed he can actually win in the playoffs.

Same thing happening with Higgins and the WR position. Marquise Brown, Deebo, AJ Brown, Metcalf, and Renfrow all got extensions this offseason after their 3rd year. It's a matter of optics, commitment, and getting paid. It's why I think there's a decent-ish chance that Higgins gets traded this offseason, the go-to move right now is for a big time player to hold-in without a contract extension, hoping for one or for a trade to get one elsewhere. It's why we saw Devante, Tyreek, and AJ Brown all get traded. Going to be hard though to pay Higgins when Burrow is going to get a mountain of money this coming offseason and then the next offseason you're going to need to back up a brink trucks to Chase.

Yes, I get that, but what you, and a great many others don't seem to get, IS THAT EVEN IF YOU SIGN AN EXTENSION, IT MAY NOT KICK IN UNTIL YEAR 6. Unless something changed in the 2020 CBA of which I am unaware (which is certainly possible) regarding 5th year options and extensions. If that is the case, I am gonna feel (and look) like an enormous boob. But here goes anyway. Here is where I am coming from. 

Signing the extension does not necessarily mean the cap increases goes up in year 5 (which is 2024 for Burrow). Yes, you give them the extension ASAP to show them love, but you also exercise the 5th year option. The extension kicks in Year 6. One of the main benefits (for the teams) is the 5th year option. It's another year of tram control at a relatively controlled price, before the players gets bag with the extension. The teams do not forfeit that when the player signs an extension. Taking the examples you provided: 

Mahomes was drafted in 2017. 
Year 1 = 2017 
Year 2 = 2018 
Year 3 = 2019; extension signed July 2020
Year 4 = 2020 
Year 5 = 2021  
Year 6 = 2022; extension kicks in

His Year 5 cap number (2021, last year) was $7.4 mil. This year, year 6,the extension kicked in, cap hit of $35.8 mil. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/patrick-mahomes-21751/ 

Same exact thing with Allen. First year was 2018. 2019 year 2. 2020 year 3. 2021 year 4. 2022 (this year) is year 5. His cap hit (7th pick) for his 5th year option is $16.37 mil. NEXT YEAR, year 6, the extension kicks in, cap hit of $39.77 mil. Extension signed in August of 2021, after year 3. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/josh-allen-25102/ 

Same thing with Murray. Drafted in 2019. This is year 4. Signed his extension after year 3, BUT IT DOESN'T KICK IN UNTIL YEAR 6. Next year, 2024, year 5, the cap hit is $16 mil. In year 6, $51.8 mil. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/arizona-cardinals/kyler-murray-29036/

Watson is in a bit of a unique situation, but this is his 5th year, his cap hit is $9 mil this year. The extension kicks in in year 6, $54.9 mil.

So, for Burrow: 
2020: year 1 
2021: year 2 
2022: year 3; extension signed
2023: year 4 
2024: year 5 
2025: year 6, extension kicks in. 

Burrow was a #1 pick, and in a later year, so his 5th year # will be higher (as will the extension), but it won't hit the books until 2025, and Chase's not until 2026, no matter when he signs his extension. 

Again, unless something changed in the CBA between 2019 & 2020 (there was a new one in 2020), what holds true for Mahomes, Allen, Murray, and Watson will hold for Burrow. Year 6. 
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2022, 05:16 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: just because Ted outplayed Cappa in that specific game doesnt mean Karras is as good as Cappa

I’m going with the guy that hasn’t given up a sack yet

Unless he has and that’s an old stat

Cappa has been great tho

Jonah and La’el have even had their moments
-Housh
Reply/Quote
In Sunday's game, Germaine played 90% of the defensive snaps

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote