Poll: Pre-season poll on which rookie will have the biggest impact on the 2016 season?
CB William Jackson (1st round)
WR Tyler Boyd (2nd round)
LB Nick Vigil (3rd round)
NT Andrew Billings (4th round)
OG Christian Westerman (5th round)
WR Cody Core (6th round)
S Clayton Fejedelem (7th round)
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pre-season poll which rookie will have the biggest impact on the 2016 season? PICK 2
Every year we're all excited about the draft, and usually excited about the picks. It doesn't always work out the way we think it will.

A couple of years ago when Marvin Lewis said that Dennard was the best looking rookie corner he'd ever seen, I was certain that we'd be see more of Dennard, yet we really haven't and he's now heading into his 3rd year.

We also see guys come in and aren't sure quite what to think. Will they even last through training camp. Burfict was one of those guys that I just thought was going to burn his bridges and be gone.

So which two rookies are going to have the biggest impact in 2016?

I didn't include any undrafted free agents simply cause I don't know much about them.

I picked Boyd and Vigil. The only reason I didn't select Jackson was because we never seem to make use of a rookie corner, but this could be a year that changes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Boyd and Jackson are my picks. Billings was a close third. As much as I hope DreK can pull his crap together, I don't see Jackson allowing him to keep his job. Jackson's that much better in coverage. He can't be worse in missed tackles.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Went with Boyd and Vigil.

For some reason I think that Vigil will be able to contribute immediately since he has the size, speed etc along with working in a similar system.

I also think he could see some playing time with Burfict being suspended.
Reply/Quote
I voted for Billings, but really wanted to vote for Vigil for a few reasons. One was to piss off the Vigil haters. Also, I have a lot of confidence in our draft room and think his position and where he was drafted suggest he really can get playing time this year. He may also contribute on special teams.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
Naturally, I think Boyd will have far and away the most impact on the upcoming season. My other pick, I went with Jackson, as I see him getting reps on STs right away, and working into defensive sets as fast as his health and learning curve will allow.

I really wanted to vote Billings, but I just feel that his snap numbers will be relatively low, for at least the 1st half of the season.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Boyd and Core. Everyone else is a defender who will see limited rotational snaps at best (outside of special teams), while the two receivers will see plenty of opportunities to not only take the field, but make plays with Green and Eifert drawing so much attention.

EDIT: Oops, Westerman is not on D, but he will be buried on the depth chart and only take the field if something ugly has happened
Reply/Quote
Boyd is the obvious pick I think. Best chance to hit the lineup.

The other guy I went with is Vigil. This guy is growing on me lol. I have some fantasy that he is going to become a JJ Watt Luke Kuechly White Monster, chances are slim but here is to hoping lol.
Reply/Quote
I went with Billings and Boyd.

Billings might only rotate in with Peko, but I think he'll keep Peko fresh and productive, and I think that him occupying blockers and getting pressure will make our front four one of the best in the league (if not the best).

Boyd will have a big year with teams keying on AJ and Eifert.

Jackson could, but I think that Dennard sees the field more this year and I think Shaw could be a sleeper, and I also think that Dre doesn't leave the field much to make him earn an extension, which all that limits his PT, plus with Marvin's history of not rushing rookies onto the field if they're not absolutely needed. I hope that Jones is mostly a return guy just because I loathe Tate, but he'll probably see the field on defense a lot, further limiting Jackson.

I think that Core could surprise some people.
Reply/Quote
I went with Boyd and Vigil.

Boyd will probably be the slot WR and will have an opportunity to make an immediate impact. That was an easy pick.

I went with Vigil because he will probably spend a lot of time on special teams and I think he can make an impact there.

This team loves to draft 1st round corners and sit them for about 3 years. No matter how much better Jackson may be than Kirkpatrick or Dennard, I just don't see the team giving him any significant snaps this year.

Billings is going to need to work on his pass rush, but he could be playing run stuffer by the end of the year. Westerman is not cracking the line up at guard and even if he somehow were to wow with his play at center, Alexander is not letting anyone else ruin the middle of the line than Bodine.

Core and Fejedelem will only stick if they do well on teams. One or both my end up on the practice squad.
Reply/Quote
I went with Boyd and Jackson.  I figure Jackson will be one of the gunners and also play some snaps on defensive.
Reply/Quote
Boyd and Billings. Wr and Dt were probably the biggest predraft needs, hence i figure they have the best opportunities.
Reply/Quote
I went Boyd and Billings. I would like to say Jackson, but Marvin has a history of making first round cornerbacks sit the bench.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2016, 01:55 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I went Boyd and Billings.  I would like to say Jackson, but Marvin has a history of making first round cornerbacks sit the bench.

Prior to Jackson, there were four CBs  selected in the first round of the Lewis era.

Hall and Joseph both saw extensive action in their rookie seasons.

That's 50% of the selections, so that isn't a correct statement.
Reply/Quote
I'm saying Boyd and Jackson. Boyd will easily be the one who contributes the most, because he's going to see a lot of play time at day one. I think that Jackson will see a lot more play time and even take the starting spot away from Dre by the end of the year. I would have said Billings over Jackson if I didn't think that Jackson was going to be the starter by the end of the year. Billings will deferentially see the field pretty early as a rotational player, and I do think he's going to make a big impact too (probably be the starter by the end of the year). I just think Jackson will be a special player.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2016, 02:49 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Prior to Jackson, there were four CBs  selected in the first round of the Lewis era.

Hall and Joseph both saw extensive action in their rookie seasons.

That's 50% of the selections, so that isn't a correct statement.

More recently, both Dennard and Kirkpatrick played gunner on special teams.  Kirkpatrick finally started his fourth year, and maybe we'll see what Dennard can do this year.  Doing something "half" the time would mean you have a history of doing it, especially when we are talking about the last two first round corners.
Reply/Quote
Rookies don't see much time. Outside of an injury, bon't expect to see much of anyone. If everyone's healthy, Boyd will get about 5% of the targets, Billings might get a few snaps just because we're so thin. Without an injury, I doubt anyone else sees many snaps. Of the injury potential, Westerman has a ton. He's going to be a good lineman and could see some time this year.

And yes, that includes Cody Core. I get a lot of people are high on him, but he's going to be lucky not to be on the PS.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2016, 12:12 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Went with Boyd and Vigil.

For some reason I think that Vigil will be able to contribute immediately since he has the size, speed etc along with working in a similar system.

I also think he could see some playing time with Burfict being suspended.

That's who I went with although I hope we see production from all of them. I think Billings/Jackson/Core/Fed/Westerman will all have a chance of seeing a good amount of time as well, just not sure if they will be as impactful out of the gate.
Reply/Quote
Gotta be Boyd, in my mind. WR is the thinnest ranks, and there is kind of an immediate need to fill in that position group. If I were to pick another, I would go with Jackson. I think he may play on teams, and see some action at CB.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Definitely Boyd. The coaches are already talking about him being the starting slot WR. This is a passing league, so Boyd is going to see a lot of playing time.

With Thompson most likely on PUP, I see Billings getting extended time behind Peko. With the way we rotate our DL. I imagine the coaches will want to put Billings strength on the field on short yardage situations where his job will be to just push the OL back.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Well Boyd is the obvious pick. He's the only player who will most likely start, and the Bengals ran an offense that had 3 WRs on the field over 50% of the time.

Now, I threw Billings in the ring as well. Due to defensive line rotation and I believe he's easily going to beat out the competition around him.

Jackson won't see much playing time. I don't see Vigil getting much playing time either.

Westerman is the dark horse if he can SOMEHOW beat out Bodine for the starting center spot.

The rest I see as mainly ST players who won't do much this year besides that.

We may see Vigil or Jackson in some games where it's put away. Kind of like how we saw Dawson on the field last year.

But Boyd will have the biggest impact. Billings will also have an impact, but just don't see him starting day 1 sadly.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote