Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Premature Whistle? what the NFL says
(01-15-2022, 11:32 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'm glad we aren't Raiders fans or we'd probably have too many threads talking about this play. Who Dey! We won, so we have the pleasure of not giving a rats ass about this play other than knowing Joey B threw a TD to TB.

Let the play stand regardless, you don't make the Offense replay the play that was clearly a TD as the dumbasses were
saying, Mckauley and Dungy. The main ref was right to just call it a TD, he did well and deserves props not shit from the 
dippity doo das. You play the game on the field and as Reuben said, one whistle from a ref on the sideline cannot determine
games like they tried to act like they do. Made my Mom and Dad furious who aren't even fans of sports.

Was just crazy to make something out of a nothing eronious ref whistle.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2022, 11:21 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I would understand the fuss if players actually stopped because of the whistle, but the ball was already in the end zone when it was blown and not a single DB reacted to the whistle.

This!
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2022, 11:18 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Interesting but the whistle was done while ball was in the air right? It was about 0.5 seconds before Boyd caught it when I saw it on replay couple times lol. I definitely won't be watching NFL highlights this week to avoid all the whistle talk.

Listening to boomer and cowher talking about it right now at half time.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don’t feel the need to defend anything. I wouldn’t care if the refs flat out stole the game from them. 31 years is over and I don’t care how it happened
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Just a terrible decision by the ref to blow the whistle. Burrow clearly was going out of bounds when he threw. Even if Burrows foot was too close to call, which it wasnt, let the play happen as it would have to be reviewed regardless for a TD.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
We totally gotta break in whistle, about time we catch a break
Reply/Quote
Had ZERO affect on the play... anyone saying otherwise is just blowing smoke.

Joey B hell of a play and that's all you need to know.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Just watched the NFL Highlights vid of the game. The whistle is audible roughly when the passed ball enters the endzone I think. So a little before Boyd gets his hands on it, but in terms of seconds, not exactly long.

Tbh to me, whether it's the rules or not, the right call was made. Imagine if they had wiped that TD off? Burrow wasn't even close to being out. The whistle wasn't early enough to stop the defender making a play. It had no impact on the play at all. Boyd was open and would've made the catch. It would have been FAR worse a call to have said 'sorry guys, we made an appalling decision in calling Burrow OOB..no TD for you though'.

The shame is that they'll talk about this call, when all the words should simply be about the Bengals winning. We played really well and didn't falter at all. We're so used to watching these guys collapse in big games, but they played good and error-free football.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2022, 11:52 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: We totally gotta break in whistle, about time we catch a break

But it’s not a break. It only hurt the optics of an amazing play. That whistle had 0 reason to be blown. You can’t call that a break when there is absolutely no reason it should have happened.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2022, 11:47 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Listening to boomer and cowher talking about it right now at half time.

You hear the whistle after it has left Burow's hands and just a split second prior to Boyd catching it.  Meh, Bisaccia didn't seem to really have a problem with it, and he'd have the most reason to be upset.  Kudos to him for not whining.  

Also, loved Joe's ever-so-slight smirk when he said he heard no whistle LOL
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
The whistle was basically simultaneous with the catch so the call was correct. Meanwhile, in the same game the Raiders:

- Got away with an illegal pick play on a TD drive.

- Were gifted a timeout when the snap was clearly BEFORE the timeout call. At worst that should have been a flag on the D for 12 men on the field.

- Waved off a legit roughing the passer on the Raiders and hit us with a phantom one.

I agree that this ref crew was a joke but let's be real, the Raiders got a lot of zebra love.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2022, 11:59 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: But it’s not a break. It only hurt the optics of an amazing play. That whistle had 0 reason to be blown. You can’t call that a break when there is absolutely no reason it should have happened.

Look who you’re responding to…

Our resident Burrow hater isn’t going to give any credit for the amazing play #9 made. Not Taylor, not the defense - #9.

Reply/Quote
The official seemed to think Joe Burrow had stepped out of bounds before releasing the ball, but he never did, and the whistle clearly came before Boyd made the catch.

It's a non issue.
Reply/Quote
The zebras effed up royally with the premature whistle. They realized that properly applying the rule would totally screw us, so they made up a little story to justify what they did.

If the refs don't blow the whistle, it's a Bengals TD. The Raiders didn't really get screwed, though I can see them being salty about it.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2022, 11:54 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Had ZERO affect on the play... anyone saying otherwise is just blowing smoke.

Joey B hell of a play and that's all you need to know.

It had a ton of effect, it would have wiped off td and it was would have be a FG attempt,  we caught a break but about time....
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2022, 11:21 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I would understand the fuss if players actually stopped because of the whistle, but the ball was already in the end zone when it was blown and not a single DB reacted to the whistle.

I think the same. Refs sucked, but Burrow made a great play. If a single DB had any time to react to the whistle and the TD was made, I could see the argument. That TD was "made" before anything sounded. If the whistle never blew, it was exactly the same result. 
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 12:01 AM)Joelist Wrote: The whistle was basically simultaneous with the catch so the call was correct. Meanwhile, in the same game the Raiders:

- Got away with an illegal pick play on a TD drive.

- Were gifted a timeout when the snap was clearly BEFORE the timeout call. At worst that should have been a flag on the D for 12 men on the field.

- Waved off a legit roughing the passer on the Raiders and hit us with a phantom one.

I agree that this ref crew was a joke but let's be real, the Raiders got a lot of zebra love.

Truth, but I also saw the main ref hardly cough out the timeout play. He knew it was wrong.

Just outnumbered this needs to stop, that is a good ref, the main dude.

Get rid of those other suckers before they cost a team a game they should win. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 12:14 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: It had a ton of effect, it would have wiped off td and it was would have be a FG attempt,  we caught a break but about time....

Had the play been canceled out they would have replayed 3rd down. It wouldn’t necessarily have been only a FG.

Reply/Quote
Boger's ok. He gets some stuff wrong some stuff right, the 3rd quarter was odd from him as he usually isnt this flag happy
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2022, 11:59 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: But it’s not a break. It only hurt the optics of an amazing play. That whistle had 0 reason to be blown. You can’t call that a break when there is absolutely no reason it should have happened.

The rule is a whistle ends the play if it was a bad whistle I believe play would have been a do over, we caught a big break there,  if we had bern on other end, people would be bitching 
Reply/Quote