Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Premature Whistle? what the NFL says
(01-16-2022, 12:01 AM)Joelist Wrote: The whistle was basically simultaneous with the catch so the call was correct. Meanwhile, in the same game the Raiders:

- Got away with an illegal pick play on a TD drive.

- Were gifted a timeout when the snap was clearly BEFORE the timeout call. At worst that should have been a flag on the D for 12 men on the field.

- Waved off a legit roughing the passer on the Raiders and hit us with a phantom one.

I agree that this ref crew was a joke but let's be real, the Raiders got a lot of zebra love.

This so much. Raiders got some ridiculous calls, especially that timeout. We ran a play and got a long first down and then the refs are all like "Nah". Just terrible officiating that hurt us as much as it hurt them.

And of course even if that TD had been replayed and not made, we still would've kicked a field goal and won by 3.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
What a spectacular play by Joe !

May he who hasn't got excited and blown their whistle early be the first to cast a stone at the refs.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 10:24 AM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Easy to say, but I seriously wouldn't have been. It would have been absolutely ridiculous to call that TD back for that. If the rule would've done so, then the rule on that play needs amending. Burrow was clearly in, nobody was close to stopping Boyd grab the ball. The whistle did nothing to affect the play.

If they'd have called it back and we lost a close one, it would've been one of the worst playoff calls of all time. As it is, it's a load of bitching about a technicality rule.

I bet the rules committee takes a look at doing just that. The play should not be able to be blown dead while the ball is in the air.

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 10:39 AM)BoomerFan Wrote: This so much. Raiders got some ridiculous calls, especially that timeout. We ran a play and got a long first down and then the refs are all like "Nah". Gimme a break. 

Heyward panicked when he saw he was 1-on-1 with Chase on that play. LOL

Reply/Quote
The play was unaffected and would have happened regardless of the whistle. Anybody with common sense knows this.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2022, 11:23 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The roughing the passer on (was it Hubbard?) towards the end was laughable.

Number 90, Kareem was called for it which should have been 4th down, but it's all academic. We won.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Whistle shouldn’t have been blown. The only way it would’ve affected the play, would have been by screwing the Bengals by replaying the down. It was and would’ve been A touchdown whether it was blown or not. It’s unfortunate that it’s even a topic , because it was a great play by the offense and great throw by Joey B. Having said that, the refs did Blow though (ba dum tshhh )
Reply/Quote
So where's the enemy thread with all the complaints about how they were robbed of tying the game? I know I'd be complaining about it if I were them just because,  but I'm not so I won't. If anything I think that if refs were being any bit biased it was for us for a change. It's not like we've never been the victims of biased refereeing in the past. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
“I’m so mad we got screwed out of the bengals getting screwed” is quite an odd hill to die on
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 11:04 AM)basballguy Wrote: “I’m so mad we got screwed out of the bengals getting screwed” is quite an odd hill to die on

Right? Taking that amazing TD off the board would have been much more egregious.

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 12:21 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Had the play been canceled out they would have replayed 3rd down. It wouldn’t necessarily have been only a FG.

Nope.  If the play is blown dead the down counts, there would be no replay of 3rd down.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 12:31 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Yes they would have replayed play, we dont know if they would have scored look at replay 25 from raiders literally stop covering,  hey their mistake is our gain..who dey

This was my view (I actually recorded the touchdown). Nobody stopped.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 12:58 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You're wrong again. An inadvertent whistle is a dead ball. Down would have been replayed. 

I'm not sure they would have determined it to be an inadvertent whistle.  If the ref truly though the play was over it was not inadvertent.

Either way it would have been a shit-show.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 11:16 AM)basballguy Wrote:

This was my view (I actually recorded the touchdown).  Nobody stopped.

Man that is a great video. And completely proves the idea of the Raiders DB 'reacting' to break up that play as laughable. 
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2022, 11:20 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: The refs were the main thing on TV in the 3Q, it was a hard watch. Something's up with the NFL and the way they call penalties and when, lol

The whistle was before the pass was caught and I find that hard to deny, however, it's still the most accurate outcome in a situation completely caused by the officials.

The erroneous whistle was going to screw one of the teams either way for no reason.  I'd rather it screw the team that would have most definitely given up the TD anyway if the ref never made the mistake.  

Can you imagine the insanity here and everywhere if the whistle was correctly enforced, the TD was called back and the Bengals ended up losing the game for it?  To me, even if I wasn't an obviously heavily biased Bengals fan, that would have been far more egregious than what actually transpired.  

It would be nice if the play went off without controversy, but I don't quite get the uproar about the lack of enforcement.  In the end, the outcome that they came to was the best one possible if you wanted it to be fair.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 11:12 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Nope.  If the play is blown dead the down counts, there would be no replay of 3rd down.

Wrong.

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 11:17 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: I'm not sure they would have determined it to be an inadvertent whistle.  If the ref truly though the play was over it was not inadvertent.

Either way it would have been a shit-show.

The down would have been replayed had the TD not counted. Period.

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 11:04 AM)basballguy Wrote: “I’m so mad we got screwed out of the bengals getting screwed” is quite an odd hill to die on

Yeah, I didn't quite get the uproar until I got home from the game and actually watched it again, but in the end that's where I am with it.  People getting really upset about us not getting hosed.  F them.
Reply/Quote
I don’t care. The take that people are mad the Bengals didn’t get screwed is laughable is correct. But in the end I don’t care.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 10:12 AM)Memphis_Bengal Wrote: ^^THIS! I actually used my stopwatch to time it between the whistle and the catch and it is around .20 seconds. I did it about 5-6 times. 25 was around 4-5 feet away from Boyd when the whistle blew. It's not possible to cover that ground in .20 seconds ergo the whistle had ZERO effect on the outcome of the play.

Yep. When i froze the screen the instant i heard the whistle, it was approx 2 feet away from Boyd's hands. No time for any defender to react and "let up". 

No issue, no controversy, no replay. Touchdown.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote