Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pressure on Rookies
Zac said "Ja'Marr Chase can be one of the great receivers over the next 10-15 years" Pretty standard coaching line for a top 5 draft pick right?

ESPN NFL reporter Dianne Russini, using Zac's quote, tweeted "I never understand why any team would put pressure on ANY player who hasn’t played in one NFL game. It makes no sense to me. Nobody needs the extra pressure."

and when challenged on what she thinks Zac should have said responded “we expect him to come in here, work hard, be a great teammate, learn our system, and be a Bengal”

Now I am of the opinion that she is full of it. If your bosses aren't pushing you to your potential you either don't have it or your boss doesn't care.

Elite athletes EXPECT to be great. If they don't have that expectation they would never be at a professional level in the first place.

So, what do you think? Is too much pressure being put on Joe or Ja'Marr?

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 06:39 PM)pally Wrote: Zac said "Ja'Marr Chase can be one of the great receivers over the next 10-15 years"  Pretty standard coaching line for a top 5 draft pick right?

ESPN NFL reporter Dianne Russini, using Zac's quote, tweeted "I never understand why any team would put pressure on ANY player who hasn’t played in one NFL game. It makes no sense to me. Nobody needs the extra pressure."

and when challenged on what she thinks Zac should have said responded “we expect him to come in here, work hard, be a great teammate, learn our system, and be a Bengal”

Now I am of the opinion that she is full of it.  If your bosses aren't pushing you to your potential you either don't have it or your boss doesn't care.  

Elite athletes EXPECT to be great. If they don't have that expectation they would never be at a professional level in the first place.

So, what do you think?  Is too much pressure being put on Joe or Ja'Marr?

Sounds like Diane Russini needs to man up a bit..... just sayin Tongue

I think its time to stop coddling people emotions is what I think, but that's just my opinion and I'm only one person....
Reply/Quote
Yeah he should have said we think he’ll suck. That’s why we picked him in the top 5 picks....if you’re picking a player that high and DONT think they’re an elite player then you screwed up
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Zac - "We think he could possibly play some Special Teams and perhaps after hard work we can have him surpass Thomas or Tate on the depth chart"
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I'm pretty sure that Ja'Marr expects to be the best in Bengals history ("I'm going to break all those records").

I don't think Zac expecting that from him is all that intimidating to him.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 06:39 PM)pally Wrote: Zac said "Ja'Marr Chase can be one of the great receivers over the next 10-15 years"  Pretty standard coaching line for a top 5 draft pick right?

Now I am of the opinion that she is full of it.  If your bosses aren't pushing you to your potential you either don't have it or your boss doesn't care.  

Players who don't respond well to pressure usually wind up being busts anyway. Jerry
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I get what she is saying but I don't think Chase gives a damn about pressure.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 07:52 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I'm pretty sure that Ja'Marr expects to be the best in Bengals history ("I'm going to break all those records").

I don't think Zac expecting that from him is all that intimidating to him.

Yes exactly. Taylor said he THINKS Chase will be one of the greats over the next 10-15 years. Chase came out and said he is going to break every Bengals receiving record that exists. He didn’t say he THINKS he’s going to, he stated more as fact. The only pressure on Chase is the pressure he puts on himself, which is a good thing because he wants to be great.
Reply/Quote
I don’t think anyone of us or a reporter can imagine the amount of pressure some of these guys have endured. To keep LSU running on all cylinders the entire season would be nerve racking. To then go ball out against Clemson on the national stage to solidify the possibly greatest season in NCAA history had to have been enormous pressure for those guys.
Reply/Quote
I don't think it will bother Chase or put any more pressure on him at all. You don't draft someone at #5 and not think they're a long term high preforming answer.
Reply/Quote
Carman is stepping into pressure (no pun intended) whether the coaches say anything or not lol.
Reply/Quote
I mean for Chase and his pre draft stock plus his high draft position that is a reasonable explanation. Ja’Marr knows this whether Zac talks about it or not.
Reply/Quote
Didn't Chase say he was going to break every Bengal receiving record?

Sounds like she doesn't understand wideouts and their ego.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote

"We've selected you 5th overall, heres a 20+ million dollar contract and your replacing AJ Green. Absolutely no pressure though, take your time on being good"  Whatever

Reply/Quote
Coach comments aside, if the first receiver drafted is putting up garbage numbers in a couple years, she'll be asking why he's such a failure. No pressure there, either
Reply/Quote
If a guy in the first round can't handle the pressure of expectations, he won't last long in the NFL. Doesn't matter the position.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Dianne is a good reporter, but this was definitely a fail on her part. She clearly didn't read Chase's comments after he was drafted. Also, Zac isn't saying that Chase needs produce fast or he'll ride the bench. Players appreciate when their coaches build them up. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Evidently Karen (Dianne) does not understand elite athletes. They thrive on pressure instead of wilting under it. Winners want the ball when the game is on the line. Why? Because they love the pressure and the rewards
Reply/Quote
Eh, sounds like another journalist taking the easy route, perhaps deservedly so, of bashing the Bengals. When they make an on air appearances or have deadlines for web content, I'm sure it's easy to put together a quick take on the Bengals doing something wrong. They don't have to think it through or do their due diligence to consider different information.
Reply/Quote
Since Chase came out and Said hes gonna break every record here.... I dont think anyone has put more pressure on him than him..

But like other Said most these guys thrive under pressure
Reply/Quote