Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preston Brown getting cut
(11-12-2019, 12:23 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I like this move.  I also like black licorice, anchovies, and Ringo Starr's disco album so take that into consideration.

You had me right up until anchovies. I worked in a lot of pizza joints as a young man. Anchovies were always some afterthought kept suspiciously close to the trash cans. 
https://youtu.be/63yyMxlBhZs
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The funniest thing would be Brown signing with a contender who plugs him in the middle where he plays very well and helps their defense win.
Reply/Quote
Ah, I remember when I blamed our linebacking woes on starting dudes like Nickerson and Evans for a good chunk of 2018. Turns out the guy they were backing up wasn't worth a damn, either.

Totally fine with this move. Cap space in 2020 is a nice thing. They have to actually use it to get better players, which is the part I have to see to believe.

Also, still believe Lou needs fired at the end or the year (or tomorrow). If he's not the problem, then they're playing a lot of really bad veteran players a lot of money.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2019, 03:54 PM)J24 Wrote: Who was doing that? Guy was graded terribly in PFF last season.

Plus he only played a handful of games last year, most on a gimp ankle.

I'll admit I thought he'd be better than what he showed this year, but that came from seeing his numbers in Buffalo. He surely was not a good fit here.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Just saw that Brown had allowed 20 receptions on 21 targets this year. Ouch.
Reply/Quote
But, along with Bobby Hart, he was one of the Bengals’ Crown Jewels of free agency two seasons in a row!
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2019, 12:28 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Look at this stuff. As IF the Bengals were just so loaded at LB that LB's we cut are starters on other teams:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Pretty funny stuff right here.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2019, 12:28 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: brilliant to extend him and cut him all in the same season....

This is how you win folks

Definitely takes some skill from the FO. Well Done!
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2019, 01:15 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Probably clearing way to pay AJ WAY more than he's ever going to be worth and then draft an injured player in the first round then hope n pray he magically turns into a slightly less injured player..

..There ya go.. Nothing like a repaired post, huh?  ThumbsUp

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2019, 05:06 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Definitely takes some skill from the FO. Well Done!

Someone probably offered the next 5 years of first round draft picks, every decent player on their team and fans who actually give a rats ass as to whether they win or not..  So the only recourse was to cut him..  ThumbsUp

Reply/Quote
Hobson couldn’t even find any nice fluffy stats to post about his release.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2019, 04:40 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: But, along with Bobby Hart, he was one of the Bengals’ Crown Jewels of free agency two seasons in a row!

LOL, crown jewels is right! Road Apples as it turned out
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2019, 06:12 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Hobson couldn’t even find any nice fluffy stats to post about his release.

I think this has to do with Zach "calling out the LBs".  He was really just taking a cheap shot at Brown.

They needed another scape goat.

**EDIT** Not defending Browns play.  Just find it kind of funny they are cutting him now and not just benching him.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2019, 07:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I think this has to do with Zach "calling out the LBs".  He was really just taking a cheap shot at Brown.

They needed another scape goat.

**EDIT** Not defending Browns play.  Just find it kind of funny they are cutting him now and not just benching him.

I’m wondering if Brown saw the writing on the wall and requested it.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2019, 12:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I wonder IF he didn't react well to losing some snaps to Pratt and criticized the staff?

Maybe, they decided that Pratt can suck just as easily as Brown, but at a much cheaper price..

On another note, going from being the league leader in tackles, to being cut from the worst team in football must be a blow to the ego..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2019, 12:28 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: brilliant to extend him and cut him all in the same season....

This is how you win folks

Mistake was made, at least MB didn't insist that he play out the full contract.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2019, 12:30 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: maybe its not the player its the scheme....

He lead the league in tackles before he came here....   So he can play.   Injury might still be holding him back a little.

If he was successful before he came here...  and is successful after.. It says a lot.

Psssst
In my IDP leagues, I love to get Buff LB's. if they are even close to the play, the guys in the box there credit them with the tackle.
Reply/Quote
Maybe making room for Hargreaves...
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2019, 12:23 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I like this move.  I also like black licorice, anchovies, and Ringo Starr's disco album so take that into consideration.

Black licorice is awesome!
Reply/Quote
They are making the move so they can bring back Malik Jefferson, who just got let go by the Browns.
Reply/Quote