Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Preston Brown re-signed
I like this signing. Very productive player until injuries last year. With the exception of last year he has been a healthy player. Hopefully it was just a contagious thing with the injuries last year. And maybe the new strength staff can help that with new programs.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think it's a reasonable chance to take. They have basically nobody at linebacker and the guy has at least proven to be capable in the past.
Reply/Quote
These free agency contracts are bonkers.

Going by other recent LB contracts if it is a 7mil a year average we did pretty good getting a young guy who led the league in tackles two years ago.

He was the guy i wanted back most out of all our FAs
Reply/Quote
Brown is a good player and signed at a reasonable price. Glad that he didn't get poached in FA.
Reply/Quote
Nickle is the base defense in today’s game and Preston has no business being on the field in a nickle defense so again WHAT THE ************
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
The Front Office signed Bobby Hart first to make Preston Brown’s signing more palatable.
Reply/Quote
He was injured on the second series of the first game of the season and didn't have a healthy leg to stand on the rest of the season, then messed up his knee because of that ankle. I'm willing to give him another shot. Don't forget in the first series he played it ended when he intercepted Andrew Luck

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Re-signing Brown is fine - what we did see of him was not bad. He even did not look awful in coverage the few times we saw it before he got hurt. Also the price was not stupid.

Now Hart, that was basically the dumbest signing I have ever seen.
Reply/Quote
Laughable
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Nobody wants Preston Brown and Bobby Hart's kids to eat.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Another horrible signing. Jesus this is going to be a long couple of years. I think baker is way over hyped but the browns just sailed right past us easily in a year and a half with a real gm. Must be nice
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 08:59 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Laughable

I wouldn't call it laughable, Brown is a good player, and they got him at a decent price.  

What I WOULD call laughable, is the idea that fans of this team, knowing full and well how they like to operate, pouting over them just being themselves.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 08:11 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: I like this signing. Very productive player until injuries last year. With the exception of last year he has been a healthy player. Hopefully it was just a contagious thing with the injuries last year. And maybe the new strength staff can help that with new programs.

Brown is decent, but he’s a liability in pass coverage. It makes him a two down thumper. Paying 2m per year more for Jordan Hicks seems like a better move on the surface.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 09:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I wouldn't call it laughable, Brown is a good player, and they got him at a decent price.  

What I WOULD call laughable, is the idea that fans of this team, knowing full and well how they like to operate, pouting over them just being themselves.  

But he isn't good. Can't cover or stop the run.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 09:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I wouldn't call it laughable, Brown is a good player, and they got him at a decent price.  

Some people think he sucks, for some reason you think hes good.   The good news is that this front office is putting us in best position possible to get trevor lawrence in 2 years.  Bad news is trevor is going to refuse to play for us.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 09:39 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: But he isn't good. Can't cover or stop the run.

Bullshit.  In just seven games played, he matched his career bests in INTs and PDs.  Chances are, if he wasn't hobbled by injury, he would have had an otherwise fantastic season.  I'm willing to give him the chance, why aren't you?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BrowPr00.htm

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I don't have an issue with Brown being brought back, but we still need to get a LB that's good in coverage either in the draft or FA.
Reply/Quote
I'm cool with bringing Brown back. I think he was just hurt last year.

I'd still like to see us add a guy who can cover tight ends though.
Reply/Quote

Exactly. Would I have liked Hicks better? Yes. But Brown is adequate. He's definately our best LB when healthy.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 07:18 PM)Au165 Wrote: I just want to see the money.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Can't say I have a big problem with bringing back Preston. Depends on the money. Then again, it's not like we're going to sign any non-Bengals, so why not back up the Brink's truck? Preston is a solid LB, but he seems more of an old-school thumper and it seems those types are going the way of the dodo in this pass happy NFL.

Also, I find it curious that we're trying so hard to keep the 2018 roster together. Don't new regimes usually have a vision that's a little different? I was hoping Taylor had nothing in common with Marvin, but he wants to keep all of Marvin's guys? Jim Turner loves Bobby Hart? Anarumo, Duffner etc love Preston Brown and Burfict? 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote