Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Preston Brown re-signed
(03-12-2019, 07:46 PM)Au165 Wrote: If they could have had Hicks for 2 more per year they are fools.

In fairness, Hicks is getting $20 mil guaranteed.  

I do find it interesting that people are bemoaning us not signing Hicks.  I wouldn't be opposed, depending on the money.  However, Hicks has missed 21 games the last 4 years.  Burfict has missed 26 in that same span and most of us want him cut because he's not reliable.  Sounds like we'd probably be saying the same about Hicks in a year or two.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 10:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Exactly. Would I have liked Hicks better? Yes. But Brown is adequate. He's definately our best LB when healthy.

I can understand folks being salty about the Bobby Hart signing, but even that seems so less severe, after learning all of the contract details.  But, for fans to be outraged over signing Preston Brown back is a real head scratcher to me.  He can't help that he got injured, he played well when he was able.

Now, if the rumors that the Bengals are also interested in Brandon Marshall are true, we could have the makings of a dominant front seven.  Marshall is just what you want in the middle.  6'1" 250, can lay the wood with authority.  Put those two, even with a healthy, enthusiastic Burfict?  You have a deadly force on your hands.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 10:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

Can't say I have a big problem with bringing back Preston. Depends on the money. Then again, it's not like we're going to sign any non-Bengals, so why not back up the Brink's truck? Preston is a solid LB, but he seems more of an old-school thumper and it seems those types are going the way of the dodo in this pass happy NFL.

Also, I find it curious that we're trying so hard to keep the 2018 roster together. Don't new regimes usually have a vision that's a little different? I was hoping Taylor had nothing in common with Marvin, but he wants to keep all of Marvin's guys? Jim Turner loves Bobby Hart? Anarumo, Duffner etc love Preston Brown and Burfict? 

You’re assuming Taylor is getting to make the decisions. Mike Brown might be micromanaging again due to Taylor’s inexperience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 10:26 PM)Whatever Wrote: In fairness, Hicks is getting $20 mil guaranteed.  

I do find it interesting that people are bemoaning us not signing Hicks.  I wouldn't be opposed, depending on the money.  However, Hicks has missed 21 games the last 4 years.  Burfict has missed 26 in that same span and most of us want him cut because he's not reliable.  Sounds like we'd probably be saying the same about Hicks in a year or two.  

Agreed. Hicks is a high risk high reward signing.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 10:26 PM)Whatever Wrote: In fairness, Hicks is getting $20 mil guaranteed.  

I want Burfict cut because he’s a walking penalty waiting to happen who is out of shape half the time and can’t cover...injuries aside.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 10:31 PM)Au165 Wrote: I want Burfict cut because he’s a walking penalty waiting to happen who is out of shape half the time and can’t cover...injuries aside.

Agreed. That said, I dont know that they'll do it.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 10:31 PM)Au165 Wrote: I want Burfict cut because he’s a walking penalty waiting to happen who is out of shape half the time and can’t cover...injuries aside.

I don't agree with that.  He's proven that he can defend the pass.  He's got 5 career INTs and 28 PDs.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BurfVo00.htm

His major issues have been injuries and suspensions, and lack of being held accountable since the day Mike Zimmer went to coach the Vikings.  All the new DC needs to do is get his attention, and start holding him accountable to being the leader of the defense, again.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 10:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't agree with that.  He's proven that he can defend the pass.  He's got 5 career INTs and 28 PDs.

His major issues have been injuries and suspensions, and lack of being held accountable since the day Mike Zimmer went to coach the Vikings.  All the new DC needs to do is get his attention, and start holding him accountable to being the leader of the defense, again.

No, he can’t cover. Once upon a time his instincts made up for his physical limitations but that is gone. If you watch his tape the last two years his attempt at coverage is trying to grab on to guys and force them to drag him across the field. What he used to be and what he is today aren’t even in the same world.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 07:57 PM)jj22 Wrote: Well they "attacked" their weak spots in free agency. I'm sure Hobs would tell ya.

I'm sure he will, but he wont say the reason they were weak spots was because of guys like them.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 09:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Bullshit.  In just seven games played, he matched his career bests in INTs and PDs.  Chances are, if he wasn't hobbled by injury, he would have had an otherwise fantastic season.  I'm willing to give him the chance, why aren't you?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BrowPr00.htm

0 TFLs  and was a 75th rated PFF LB in the NFL. Maybe a one year contract at best but 3 give me a break. We had the worst LB crew in the NFL last season it would be best to fine new players.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 10:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

Can't say I have a big problem with bringing back Preston. Depends on the money. Then again, it's not like we're going to sign any non-Bengals, so why not back up the Brink's truck? Preston is a solid LB, but he seems more of an old-school thumper and it seems those types are going the way of the dodo in this pass happy NFL.

Also, I find it curious that we're trying so hard to keep the 2018 roster together. Don't new regimes usually have a vision that's a little different? I was hoping Taylor had nothing in common with Marvin, but he wants to keep all of Marvin's guys? Jim Turner loves Bobby Hart? Anarumo, Duffner etc love Preston Brown and Burfict? 

It's Dukes team not Taylors.  He is the defacto GM now.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 12:59 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: 0 TFLs  and was a 75th rated PFF LB in the NFL. Maybe a one year contract at best but 3 give me a break. We had the worst LB crew in the NFL last season it would be best to fine new players.

It was short lived, due to injury, but he was playing very well against Indy.  Then, the guy tried to come back early from his injury and gut it out, but was clearly not the same player.  I think he deserves a shot here again.  

Here is the article about him after his 2017 season...not quite the ranking he earned last year while injured.  While he may not be a splash player like CJ Mosely, he is a solid, reliable MLB and the Bengals need stability in the LB corps.  

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/6/25/17485370/bengals-lb-preston-brown-among-nfl-best-at-not-missing-tackles
Reply/Quote
LB may not be looked at as a need in the draft. Think about it.

Preston was the NFL's leading tackler 2 seasons ago with Buffalo. He's a starter.

Tez is a has been, but MB defended him last season. Not too often that happens. He's a starter.

Vigil was serviceable. He's a starter.

Hey, I don't like it either.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
Generally pretty pleased with this signing.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 10:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't agree with that.  He's proven that he can defend the pass.  He's got 5 career INTs and 28 PDs.

And there is no one more suited to do that than a guy who used to coach Merchant Marines and defensive backs. 
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote

He was really good before this past year.

I don't know what happened in 2018, but he looked like a shell of his former self. He was a half step behind every single pass that 2017 Burfict could have easily broken up.

It's really frustrating. I wonder if he'll rebound in 2019 (or if the coaches will even give him an opportunity to rebound with us at all.)
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 08:57 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: He was really good before this past year.

I don't know what happened in 2018, but he looked like a shell of his former self. He was a half step behind every single pass that 2017 Burfict could have easily broken up.

It's really frustrating. I wonder if he'll rebound in 2019 (or if the coaches will even give him an opportunity to rebound with us at all.)

Hopefully 'Taze took some time for introspection this offseason, and didn't like what he saw.  He may have gotten comfortable with his money, and allowed the lifestyle to make him go soft.  I'm hoping that he watched the game films of himself from this past year, and decided that he's not going out like that.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
There is a reason the Bills let Brown go and drafted his replacement in Tremaine Edmunds. Brown isn't great in coverage and he isn't athletic. He shouldn't see the field in nickel formation which is what the nfl runs the majority of the time now. If they don't add speed in the draft then it will be another long ass year of running backs and tight ends killing it over the middle.

You may argue that adding Hart/Brown doesn't hurt the Bengals but it sure as hell doesn't make them better.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 07:24 AM)Takedown Wrote: LB may not be looked at as a need in the draft. Think about it.

Preston was the NFL's leading tackler 2 seasons ago with Buffalo. He's a starter.

Tez is a has been, but MB defended him last season. Not too often that happens. He's a starter.

Vigil was serviceable. He's a starter.

Hey, I don't like it either.

No way.  We were historically bad as a whole because of this unit and counting on Burfict is like doing so for Eifert at this stage.  They need a WLB in the top 3 rounds and they know how bad they are in coverage.  
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 10:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I can understand folks being salty about the Bobby Hart signing, but even that seems so less severe, after learning all of the contract details.  But, for fans to be outraged over signing Preston Brown back is a real head scratcher to me.  He can't help that he got injured, he played well when he was able.

Now, if the rumors that the Bengals are also interested in Brandon Marshall are true, we could have the makings of a dominant front seven.  Marshall is just what you want in the middle.  6'1" 250, can lay the wood with authority.  Put those two, even with a healthy, enthusiastic Burfict?  You have a deadly force on your hands.

Marshall is also subpar in coverage. The exact problem that the Bengals LB corps has had since Owen Daniels terrorized the defense.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote