Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Preston Brown re-signed
(03-13-2019, 07:24 AM)Takedown Wrote: LB may not be looked at as a need in the draft. Think about it.

Preston was the NFL's leading tackler 2 seasons ago with Buffalo. He's a starter.

Tez is a has been, but MB defended him last season. Not too often that happens. He's a starter.

Vigil was serviceable. He's a starter.

Hey, I don't like it either.

If LB is not a need in the draft then the Bengals will continue to be embarrassed by their LB corps. Big slow LB’s are a liability that every team will exploit.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 07:19 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: It was short lived, due to injury, but he was playing very well against Indy.  Then, the guy tried to come back early from his injury and gut it out, but was clearly not the same player.  I think he deserves a shot here again.  

Here is the article about him after his 2017 season...not quite the ranking he earned last year while injured.  While he may not be a splash player like CJ Mosely, he is a solid, reliable MLB and the Bengals need stability in the LB corps.  

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/6/25/17485370/bengals-lb-preston-brown-among-nfl-best-at-not-missing-tackles

I can get behind this. I'd say Brown is atleast Average to Above Average and he's a solid tackler WHEN HEALTHY.

IF he can return to what he was in Buffalo...he'd be more than adequate.

That said, he's not the fastest guy and he did grade out at 55.3 this past season which was the #75 ranked LB. That's bad. IF he's that for upcoming seasons, then it's a bad signing.

So...it all depends what Brown we get.

Here was his PFF blurb. They had him ranked the #10 free agent LB:
Rounding out the list is Brown, who joined the Bengals on a one-year deal before the 2018 season. Unfortunately for Brown, after playing 1000-plus snaps in four seasons with the Buffalo Bills, the injury bug finally hit as he missed nine games. A career-worst 55.8 overall grade in the shortened season means he’ll need to prove he still deserves meaningful playing time in 2019.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 10:47 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I can get behind this. I'd say Brown is atleast Average to Above Average and he's a solid tackler WHEN HEALTHY.

IF he can return to what he was in Buffalo...he'd be more than adequate.

That said, he's not the fastest guy and he did grade out at 55.3 this past season which was the #75 ranked LB. That's bad. IF he's that for upcoming seasons, then it's a bad signing.

So...it all depends what Brown we get.

Here was his PFF blurb. They had him ranked the #10 free agent LB:
Rounding out the list is Brown, who joined the Bengals on a one-year deal before the 2018 season. Unfortunately for Brown, after playing 1000-plus snaps in four seasons with the Buffalo Bills, the injury bug finally hit as he missed nine games. A career-worst 55.8 overall grade in the shortened season means he’ll need to prove he still deserves meaningful playing time in 2019.

Absolutely.  Brown is still a young player.  He is a good MLB.  It's not a bad signing.  Injuries derailed him last season, and he still tried to battle through it.  Who knows, had he just sat out a while longer, he may have healed and came back and had a nice second half of the season.  However, with the way the backups played, we didn't have that luxury.  

Also, you never know, this signing could mark the end of Burfict's time here.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 10:57 AM)Wyche Wrote: Absolutely.  Brown is still a young player.  He is a good MLB.  It's not a bad signing.  Injuries derailed him last season, and he still tried to battle through it.  Who knows, had he just sat out a while longer, he may have healed and came back and had a nice second half of the season.  However, with the way the backups played, we didn't have that luxury.  

Yep. At 26 I won't say he's washed up either. He's been generally durable most of his career.

That said, we do need a LB who can cover. It's pretty imperative. Brown is basically a run stuffer. Can he cover some - yes. But he's not good to great at it.

IF we trop Brown, Burfict, and Vigil out there we're better than last year...but we're not going to be good in pass coverage which was the achilles heal of the LB's last year.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 11:00 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. At 26 I won't say he's washed up either. He's been generally durable most of his career.

That said, we do need a LB who can cover. It's pretty imperative. Brown is basically a run stuffer. Can he cover some - yes. But he's not good to great at it.

IF we trop Brown, Burfict, and Vigil out there we're better than last year...but we're not going to be good in pass coverage which was the achilles heal of the LB's last year.

I agree.  Although Preston did have more INTs than our entire CB corps. Mellow

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 11:08 AM)Wyche Wrote: I agree.  Although Preston did have more INTs than our entire CB corps. Mellow

That's a different issue. Dennard has like 3 ints in 5 years. Insane!

There's plenty to not like about this offseason, but the Brown signing isn't one of the things.

That said, I hope they atleast looked at some of the better LB's like KJ Wright. IF Wright signs for less...then it makes this signing worse.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 07:39 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: If he is getting 21 million like reported then they have lost their mind. 7 million per for a two down LB is just idiotic.

Wonder what LA would have given for a 2 down MLB last Super Bowl when NE put a fullback in and blasted the safeties LA had playing linebacker.....
Reply/Quote
I have not read the entire thread, but is this really a $21 million contract or is it like Harts $16.1 million deal with a few million in incentives?
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 01:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have not read the entire thread, but is this really a $21 million contract or is it like Harts $16.1 million deal with a few million in incentives?

It's similar.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 01:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have not read the entire thread, but is this really a $21 million contract or is it like Harts $16.1 million deal with a few million in incentives?

Same as Harts up to 21 mil with incentives the details aren't out yet.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 01:16 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Wonder what LA would have given for a 2 down MLB last Super Bowl when NE put a fullback in and blasted the safeties LA had playing linebacker.....

Or the Chiefs, whose defense was similarly blown off the ball because their LBers were too light.
Reply/Quote
I'm alright with bringing Brown back. He will be a starter.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 01:28 PM)Joelist Wrote: Or the Chiefs, whose defense was similarly blown off the ball because their LBers were too light.

Exactly!!! You have to have linebackers who can cover, but you still have to have thumpers. Especially in the AFCN...
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 10:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You’re assuming Taylor is getting to make the decisions. Mike Brown might be micromanaging again due to Taylor’s inexperience.

That's kinda what I was driving at. It doesn't feel like Taylor is getting to put his own stamp on the team. 

(03-13-2019, 01:01 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: It's Dukes team not Taylors.  He is the defacto GM now.

Duke has been the defacto GM for years. Coaches still have varying schemes and ideas though, and the GM should work with him to get some players in here that fit his vision for the team. That's how most teams work. You don't just hire a new coach and say "we like you, but you'll work with the players we throw at you". 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Interesting little read on Preston Brown:

https://www.bengals.com/news/brown-comes-home-for-comeback

Intends to get down to 240. Disputes the notion that he can't cover. Also says he hasn't given up a passing TD since his rookie year.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 10:57 AM)Wyche Wrote: Absolutely.  Brown is still a young player.  He is a good MLB.  It's not a bad signing.  Injuries derailed him last season, and he still tried to battle through it.  Who knows, had he just sat out a while longer, he may have healed and came back and had a nice second half of the season.  However, with the way the backups played, we didn't have that luxury.  

I think they would have to get another FA LB and still draft one early before they entertain parting ways with Burfict.  That being said, I hope that is exactly what they do.  Get a guy like Buchanon and draft a guy like White or Bush (or even David Long a bit later) and put the pressure on Burfict that his spot is not guaranteed.

A motivated Burfict might still be able to be a good Burfict, but I am sure not counting on him any longer.  It would just be an added benefit and if he doesn't show up with his head on straight and in great shape you could cut him before the season begins. 
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 07:39 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think they would have to get another FA LB and still draft one early before they entertain parting ways with Burfict.  That being said, I hope that is exactly what they do.  Get a guy like Buchanon and draft a guy like White or Bush (or even David Long a bit later) and put the pressure on Burfict that his spot is not guaranteed.

A motivated Burfict might still be able to be a good Burfict, but I am sure not counting on him any longer.  It would just be an added benefit and if he doesn't show up with his head on straight and in great shape you could cut him before the season begins. 

And we can grab White or Bush in the 1st if we have to..... why's that, you say? Because we now have a right tackle on the roster and can afford to wait till round 2 or 3 to take another one....
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 08:23 AM)Sled21 Wrote: And we can grab White or Bush in the 1st if we have to..... why's that, you say? Because we now have a right tackle on the roster and can afford to wait till round 2 or 3 to take another one....

I think since ZT M.O. is offense, first pick will be on that side of the ball. At least that's my hunch. If they're really high on a LB, they'll probably pull the trigger, but all things equal they probably take an offensive guy in the first round. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 10:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'm cool with bringing Brown back. I think he was just hurt last year.

I'd still like to see us add a guy who can cover tight ends though.

Not me. I love being able to ignore drafting TEs in fantasy football, knowing I can just stream whomever has the Bengals D that week and earn a spectacular score. 
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 09:27 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Not me. I love being able to ignore drafting TEs in fantasy football, knowing I can just stream whomever has the Bengals D that week and earn a spectacular score. 

You might wanna watch some tape on the guy prior to last season.  He played hurt basically after the second series of the season.

You don't lead the league with 144 tackles being a bum.  He hasn't given up a TD since his rookie season in coverage.

Reply/Quote