Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Price Vs Ragnow
OK, I posted a thread in Around the NFL concerning Ragnow last night.

To be fair, Ragnow is a rookie and could develop into a stud. He also was up against a tougher opponent in the Jets than what Price went up against with the Colts. So apples to apples comparisons aren't possible. However first impressions are not good.

Price only had 1 play that stood out as bad and that led to a Dalton INT. After settling down, Price had an overall decent game and just like Ragnow could develop into something special, he looks good now, wait until he gains experience.

Ragnow had many negative plays that stood out. Stafford was getting destroyed and to top it off throwing INTs because of the pressure. Ragnow unfortunately was the cause to a lot of the pressure and was missing blocks quite frequently. He did win some, but he lost more.

So in closing, we may have dodged a bullet by not having the opportunity to take Ragnow and getting "stuck" with Price. We may never really know who we would have taken if both were available but many would be upset if Ragnow was the selection and he performed for us the way he did last night the outrage would have been extensive.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 09:51 AM)YsCascadia Wrote: OK, I posted a thread in Around the NFL concerning Ragnow last night.

To be fair, Ragnow is a rookie and could develop into a stud.  He also was up against a tougher opponent in the Jets than what Price went up against with the Colts.  So apples to apples comparisons aren't possible.  However first impressions are not good.

Price only had 1 play that stood out as bad and that led to a Dalton INT.  After settling down, Price had an overall decent game and just like Ragnow could develop into something special, he looks good now, wait until he gains experience.

Ragnow had many negative plays that stood out.  Stafford was getting destroyed and to top it off throwing INTs because of the pressure.  Ragnow unfortunately was the cause to a lot of the pressure and was missing blocks quite frequently.  He did win some, but he lost more.

So in closing, we may have dodged a bullet by not having the opportunity to take Ragnow and getting "stuck" with Price.  We may never really know who we would have taken if both were available but many would be upset if Ragnow was the selection and he performed for us the way he did last night the outrage would have been extensive.

Will be interesting to compare further down the line I guess as with most draft reviews but too early now.

To be honest right now we just need Price to be better than Bodine was - there were some worrying moments against Indy which were Bodine like but he'll get better through season.  

If he at least improves on Bodine then we are better than last year and that is progress and means we can focus on other potentially bigger problem spots (hello, RT..)
Reply/Quote
I didn't Iso Ragnow, but either the Jets are for real or the Lions suck Rhinoceros balls...because I would imagine they are really big.

I took the Jets plus 7 in that game...what a laugher.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Ragnow was always a prospect I was suspicious of. He went from a 2nd/3rd round prospect to a top 20 prospect almost over night. If his game tape were good enough he would have never fallen out of the first round discussion to begin with.

As for Price, he was considered a top 20 lock until he got injured and only then did people start questioning his draft stock.

So he and Ragnow were going in opposite directions, "stock wise" heading into the draft so I think it was natural that Bengals fans were upset that they got the "cold prospect" rather than the "hot prospect."

The problem with hot prospects is...there was a reason they were so low to begin with. And we'll see how this pans out over the course of the year, but I'm always weary of workout warriors or off-season champions. And Ragnow was certainly one of those.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 10:15 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Ragnow was always a prospect I was suspicious of. He went from a 2nd/3rd round prospect to a top 20 prospect almost over night. If his game tape were good enough he would have never fallen out of the first round discussion to begin with.

As for Price, he was considered a top 20 lock until he got injured and only then did people start questioning his draft stock.

So he and Ragnow were going in opposite directions, "stock wise" heading into the draft so I think it was natural that Bengals fans were upset that they got the "cold prospect" rather than the "hot prospect."

The problem with hot prospects is...there was a reason they were so low to begin with. And we'll see how this pans out over the course of the year, but I'm always weary of workout warriors or off-season champions. And Ragnow was certainly one of those.

Yeah, I kept hearing nothing but rave reviews of Ragnow and how he is performing.  So I wanted to see him in action and he wasn't all that good.  It would be one thing if it was only a few times during the game, but it was way more than a few times.  The worst was on Stafford's pick 6, the defender ran right by him without being touched.  
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 09:51 AM)YsCascadia Wrote: Price only had 1 play that stood out as bad and that led to a Dalton INT.  After settling down, Price had an overall decent game and just like Ragnow could develop into something special, he looks good now, wait until he gains experience.

That was a bad play by Price on the INT anyway you look at it, but he may have been able to recover from getting pushed back on the DT's initial push if he didn't get his foot tangled up with Mixon.

https://www.colts.com/video/highlight-kenny-moore-intercepts-andy-dalton-to-open-the-game

Still a bad play, but maybe not quite as bad as it initially looked.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 10:13 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I didn't Iso Ragnow, but either the Jets are for real or the Lions suck Rhinoceros balls...because I would imagine they are really big.

Quite the imagination you have there. I never really gave the size of rinoceros balls much thought, but then gay beastiality really isn't my thing. ..not that I'm saying it's yours either, but you did bring up the idea .  Be honest now. How many videos of rinoceroses running away from the camera do you have qued up and ready to view late at night? 
I just had a thought.. Think of the schear bravery required to do such an act with a male rinoceros? It's definitely not for the faint of heart . That's for sure. 
"Well hello there big guy . Care for some fun?"  I'm guessing that line probably wouldn't work with too many rino's.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 10:13 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I didn't Iso Ragnow, but either the Jets are for real or the Lions suck Rhinoceros balls...because I would imagine they are really big.

I don't know if I'd call the Jets "for real" just yet. If Darnold stays within himself they may make some waves ?

The Lions are the NFC's Bengals ! They spit the bit at random moments. They may come out next week and wax the Eagles, not sure who they play ? Then blow chunks against Cleveland the following week. What did Stafford end up with 5 pics ? You can't win any NFL game like that unless you're playing Cleveland.

Ragnow vs. Price - way to early to tell
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 10:15 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Ragnow was always a prospect I was suspicious of. He went from a 2nd/3rd round prospect to a top 20 prospect almost over night. If his game tape were good enough he would have never fallen out of the first round discussion to begin with.

Exactly. I was going to point out the same thing so Im so glad someone else realized that Ragnow was a 3rd to 4th rd prospect in nearly every mock until a few days before the draft. All of a sudden people were upset the Lions took him before us when Price was clearly the higher rated player. Who says the rest of the league let alone the Bengals were considering him in the 1st round?
Reply/Quote

Eh, that's a little over-kill to call him a workout warrior. He NEVER allowed a sack in 42 games. That's a tad more than a "workout warrior".

[Image: Top-Graded-centers-all-time-768x432.jpg]
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
Billy had a good game, outside of that one Bodine of a looking play. I wanted him over Ragnow anyways. Give me more Buckeyes in the future while we are at it. I want players here from the big time winning schools. Especially Haskins in a few short years! Smirk

I think that game was one of those where everything that could go right for the JETS did, and everything that could go wrong for the Lions did.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
For what its worth.

Price Week 1 PFF - Overall Grade : 58.1 Pass Block : 68.1 Run Block : 55.0 - 20th Overall Centre out of 32
Ragnow Week 1 PFF - Overall Grade : 41.2 Pass Block : 31.5 Run Block : 45.6 - 62nd Overall Guard out of 65
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 12:12 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Billy had a good game, outside of that one Bodine of a looking play. I wanted him over Ragnow anyways. Give me more Buckeyes in the future while we are at it. I want players here from the big time winning schools. Especially Haskins in a few short years!  Smirk

I think that game was one of those where everything that could go right for the JETS did, and everything that could go wrong for the Lions did.

You have been reading my mind, Haskins in 2 more years!!

To the OP, both players are going to be beast for years to come. There really wasn't that much difference between the 2. I wanted Billy, happier than hell when we took him, but would have been just as happy if Detroit had taken him and we took Ragnow. 
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 12:15 PM)Bengalboy Wrote: For what its worth.

Price Week 1 PFF       - Overall Grade : 58.1  Pass Block : 68.1  Run Block : 55.0  - 20th Overall Centre out of 32
Ragnow Week 1 PFF   - Overall Grade : 41.2  Pass Block : 31.5  Run Block : 45.6  - 62nd Overall Guard out of 65

Rookies will be rookies! Come to think of it, I wanted to keep an eye on Nelson during our game and completely forgot about him...... Damn you father time!!
Reply/Quote
Price had the open spectacular flub but then he cleaned it up and the rest of the way was solid. I liked that he adjusted in game to what happened.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 12:12 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Billy had a good game, outside of that one Bodine of a looking play. I wanted him over Ragnow anyways. Give me more Buckeyes in the future while we are at it. I want players here from the big time winning schools. Especially Haskins in a few short years!  Smirk

(09-11-2018, 12:18 PM)sandwedge Wrote: You have been reading my mind, Haskins in 2 more years!!

To the OP, both players are going to be beast for years to come. There really wasn't that much difference between the 2. I wanted Billy, happier than hell when we took him, but would have been just as happy if Detroit had taken him and we took Ragnow. 

Haskins looks like he has "it" ! It's early but I'm tagging him as the one that breaks the Ohio State mold of not producing NFL QB's. Martel is very interesting as well.

I wanted Price more because I'd seen his play.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 12:20 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Rookies will be rookies! Come to think of it, I wanted to keep an eye on Nelson during our game and completely forgot about him...... Damn you father time!!

Just from watching i think Price did pretty well. 

Good point re Nelson, again from just watching the game as a whole i assumed he did well due to Luck having a decent amount of time. I do remember 2 specific plays. One where Nelson got Geno to the ground and was a nice play. The other when Geno returned the favour and bull rushed LG/LT and got a sack on Luck.

for the record : 

Nelson Week 1 PFF       - Overall Grade : 62.9  Pass Block : 70.3  Run Block : 56.8  - 27th Overall Guard out of 65
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 12:49 PM)Bengalboy Wrote: Just from watching i think Price did pretty well. 

Good point re Nelson, again from just watching the game as a whole i assumed he did well due to Luck having a decent amount of time. I do remember 2 specific plays. One where Nelson got Geno to the ground and was a nice play. The other when Geno returned the favour and bull rushed LG/LT and got a sack on Luck.

for the record : 

Nelson Week 1 PFF       - Overall Grade : 62.9  Pass Block : 70.3  Run Block : 56.8  - 27th Overall Guard out of 65

Was watching Nelson a fair bit at the start as I was a big fan of his. Think he's the real deal and he held up well.

Geno when he was fresh was the only one moving him backwards but he held his own. Glasgow - amongst others - was going into him and stopping dead.  
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 11:59 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Eh, that's a little over-kill to call him a workout warrior. He NEVER allowed a sack in 42 games. That's a tad more than a "workout warrior".

[Image: Top-Graded-centers-all-time-768x432.jpg]

By now we all know the dubiousness of PFF, but I did add the term "off-season champion" simply because, based on the initial reviews of his tape, he was graded as a 2nd-3rd rounder. I forget what triggered his ascent to a 1st round pick but it was very sudden and very immediate. And those kinds of rises are always suspicious. Reminded me of Jason Smith in 2009 (on a smaller scale, of course, as he went from a late 1st-early 2nd round pick to a top 2 pick).
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 01:25 PM)sonofstat Wrote: Was watching Nelson a fair bit at the start as I was a big fan of his. Think he's the real deal and he held up well.

Geno when he was fresh was the only one moving him backwards but he held his own. Glasgow - amongst others - was going into him and stopping dead.  

Not sure if it was Nelson he was going against, but Billings seemed to get zero push this game....
Reply/Quote