Poll: Better Center for the Bengals
Billy Price
James Daniels
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Price vs Daniels
(03-17-2018, 06:25 PM)jj22 Wrote: I go with Daniels. Price will miss too much mini/mandatory camp and maybe even some training camp. He won't be ready to start and we need a starter ready from day one. One that will take every rep once drafted and camp starts.

I would go with Daniels if they plan to do more zone blocking, Price if they plan to do more man blocking. Even if Price were to miss half his rookie season recovering from injury, if he better fits what they want to do scheme wise it would be better to have him starting for 3.5 years or possibly longer if re-signed than to draft a guy who might not fit as well, but won't miss the half of his first season.

Basically, if Price would be better for 3.5 years than Daniels for 4 years I would go with Price.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2018, 02:39 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I agree Daniels is better suited for a zone blocking scheme and Price is better suited for a man blocking scheme. I'm not familiar enough with the new O line coach to know which type of player he prefers or which scheme him, Lazor, and Marvin plan to utilize this season.

As far as Price's injury; who knows. His agent may be telling him to delay surgery until after the draft so he doesn't slide. Or it could be minor like he says. Teams are going to need to see the MRI for themselves to determine the severity. If it were a complete tear he would be out for the season and I doubt they would defer surgery. Which leads me to believe it is a partial tear that most likely wouldn't need surgery. Yes, it would affect upper body lifting, but he would be able to continue lower body weight training. He wouldn't be  to perform personal bests, but he would be able to continue to lift so when he is cleared his strength should return relatively quickly.

Bottom line, if you prefer Price to Daniels his injury isn't severe enough to change that (if what is being reported is true.)
He had surgery a week ago after the second medical opinion recommended surgery... Expected to miss 3-4 months but will be back in timetfor start of training camp.
(03-17-2018, 06:25 PM)jj22 Wrote: I go with Daniels. Price will miss too much mini/mandatory camp and maybe even some training camp. He won't be ready to start and we need a starter ready from day one. One that will take every rep once drafted and camp starts.

He's a day one starter. And he's reliable as hell. Most starts ever. Worst injury he's ever had in his career was a mcl sprain that didn't even cause him to miss practice. Price had surgery and will be ready for training camp. He dosent need much time to get adjusted as osu players are extremely NFL ready. He will be ready to roll day 1.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 01:36 AM)Jpoore Wrote: He had surgery a week ago after the second medical opinion recommended surgery... Expected to miss 3-4 months but will be back in timetfor start of training camp.

He's a day one starter. And he's reliable as hell. Most starts ever. Worst injury he's ever had in his career was a mcl sprain that didn't even cause him to miss practice. Price had surgery and will be ready for training camp. He dosent need much time to get adjusted as osu players are extremely NFL ready. He will be ready to roll day 1.

Well, little more serious than initially reported.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 01:04 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I would go with Daniels if they plan to do more zone blocking, Price if they plan to do more man blocking. Even if Price were to miss half his rookie season recovering from injury, if he better fits what they want to do scheme wise it would be better to have him starting for 3.5 years or possibly longer if re-signed than to draft a guy who might not fit as well, but won't miss the half of his first season.

Basically, if Price would be better for 3.5 years than Daniels for 4 years I would go with Price.

Who's our starting center week one?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 01:36 AM)Jpoore Wrote: He had surgery a week ago after the second medical opinion recommended surgery... Expected to miss 3-4 months but will be back in timetfor start of training camp.

Olines need time to gel. Bodine took every snap starting minicamps in order to be ready. This is needed for a rookie at that position. I'd hesitate to think a center coming off of major surgery and not in football shape can come in training camp and be ready week one. Maybe if we had a bridge center, but we won't. We will need the rookie to start.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 03:32 PM)jj22 Wrote: Who's our starting center week one?

Good question.

It seems un-Bengal-like to go into the draft having to find the next C in the draft or be screwed.  I can't help thinking that maybe Westerman or Redmond  will be converted.  It's also looking more and more obvious they don't want Bodine back, at least not as a starter.  Are they ready to roll with TJ if the draft doesn't fall right?  Or will they be content to take the fifth or eighth or tenth best C in the draft and hand him the job if it comes to that? 

Could end up some seeing some draft day maneuvering by the Bengals out of necessity.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 03:32 PM)jj22 Wrote: Who's our starting center week one?

I'd say almost undoubtedly TJ.  He's done it before and was signed to be the guy that fills in should that scenario come up.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 01:04 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote:
I would go with Daniels if they plan to do more zone blocking
, Price if they plan to do more man blocking. Even if Price were to miss half his rookie season recovering from injury, if he better fits what they want to do scheme wise it would be better to have him starting for 3.5 years or possibly longer if re-signed than to draft a guy who might not fit as well, but won't miss the half of his first season.

Does the scheme really matter all that much, when you play in a division featuring defenses with very large NTs lined up directly over the Center's face?

To compete with that, you need a man that can handle that NT one on one.  From everything that I've read about Daniels, he isn't that man.  For the Bengals, playing in the AFCN, I go with Price or Ragnow 10/10 times.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 08:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Does the scheme really matter all that much, when you play in a division featuring defenses with very large NTs lined up directly over the Center's face?

To compete with that, you need a man that can handle that NT one on one.  From everything that I've read about Daniels, he isn't that man.  For the Bengals, playing in the AFCN, I go with Price or Ragnow 10/10 times.

Scheme does matter. What will be interesting is of the Bengals overall positional requirements push Price above, which will be the case if they feel he can do what Daniels does enough.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 10:34 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Scheme does matter.   What will be interesting is of the Bengals overall positional requirements push Price above, which will be the case if they feel he can do what Daniels does enough.

Which scheme favors a quick, athletic, finesse technician, versus a #340 NT?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 10:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Which scheme favors a quick, athletic, finesse technician, versus a #340 NT?

Running the zone your guards matter. But isn’t Daniels and price almost the exact same size?

I’m all for either. It comes down to what is the best first and second round package we can get.

Daniels/Brown
Wynn/Price
Hernandez/Price
McGlinchy/Price
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 10:34 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Scheme does matter.   What will be interesting is of the Bengals overall positional requirements push Price above, which will be the case if they feel he can do what Daniels does enough.

Does it matter in pass protection?  Not being a smart-ass, just curious.  All I ever hear about are run blocking schemes.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2018, 12:20 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Does it matter in pass protection?  Not being a smart-ass, just curious.  All I ever hear about are run blocking schemes.

Depends on protections. Some always give help to the center some don’t. Depends on if they can anchor. I haven’t watched either enough to see one way or another but playing in the big ten at least both see size.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 03:33 PM)jj22 Wrote: Olines need time to gel. Bodine took every snap starting minicamps in order to be ready. This is needed for a rookie at that position. I'd hesitate to think a center coming off of major surgery and not in football shape can come in training camp and be ready week one. Maybe if we had a bridge center, but we won't. We will need the rookie to start.
With price camp is all he needs... Osu players are the most NFL ready players. And yes olines do need time to gel. And the center is .the captain of the oline. But I promise u he will be getting the oline people together studying tape, doing whatever they can to get on the ssem ssem before he's healthy, so that when he's healthy it's just play sytle that needs ironed out. And price will start, not to mention getting an all pro guard next to him and a pro bowl caliber guard on the other side the first week or 2 while they gel will help him. Daniels will have a rougher transition bc he comes from.iowa. even with all that extra time, he'll struggle the first half of season while price only first game or 2. All centers struggle. The question is how much.
(03-19-2018, 12:11 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Running the zone your guards matter.  But isn’t Daniels and price almost the exact same size?

I’m all for either.   It comes down to what is the best first and second round package we can get.  

Daniels/Brown
Wynn/Price
Hernandez/Price
McGlinchy/Price
Same size, but Daniels has the same problem that ogbuehi had coming out. Lack of core strength. Can't hold up to bull rush. Ogbuehi has tried his hardest to build up his core but still dosent have adequate core strength. Same problem with Daniels. Meanwhile price has amazing lower body and core strength along with an eagerness to hit people. Add in the fact he used to be a Dt, so he knows the moves. As far as best combo? Easily Hernandez price.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 10:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Gimme the one that didn't hurt himself lifting weights.

That was really a flukey thing, but I see Price as much stronger and that can only help in our scheme.  He was expected to blow the doors off the 225 reps and was probably a little jerky early as he wanted to reach 40 reps.  Lucky it was only a partial tear and he will be ready for camp.  

What I like best about Price is his attitude.  I think the offensive line needs a vocal guy that can will some nastiness out of his line mates.  Everyone at OSU adored the guy.  I see a guy with a nasty motor like his and I think there is no way the NFL will be too big for him.  His determination makes him special.  No more quiet finesse guys.  Give me a Krumrie on the offensive side of the ball.  
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 11:27 AM)Au165 Wrote: 21 is still relatively high for a center, I think fans overvalue them more than GM's as far as when you take them in the draft. Since 2015 there have been two Centers taken in the 1st Ryan Kelly at 18 and Travis Frederick at 31. I think realistically you could slide back one more time from 21 and still get one of these guys in the late 20's.

Too much risk with Bodine unsigned.  If both are available and they truly see both as near-equals (which I doubt), then they could slide at most two picks.  I think some teams may be trying to slide back in around 21 and get Lamar Jackson, so who knows?

Your examples of centers taken in Rd 1 is two huge difference makers.  Our line really will improve with a solid talent at Center.  
Reply/Quote
I like Price's demeanor better. He is nasty and can handle bull rush. I do not know if Bengals use zone blocking much but Daniels with Wynn would be good combo with zone blocking. I also think Daniels can pull better but he is still quite young and I question his demeanor.

I think with Westerman who was compared to Mack coming out of college can at least be tried at center if Price is not ready. I am a little concern as to the seriousness of the injury and it may take longer than 6 months to psychologically feel strong and competent. The good news is: if Price is their guy, the injury may drop him to 2nd round which means the Bengals could draft OT or Guard in round 1 which in my opinion is equally important draft piece.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I would take Daniels. He started his freshman year at right guard, and every since then has been at center.

Price just moved to center last year. Also, from 2016 to 2017 OSUs rushing numbers took a small hit from 5.8 to 5.5, 245.2 a game to 243.4, etc. Iowa's kinda stayed the same at 4.5 save for last year when they were 3.8.

The one thing I also noticed from watching the few Iowa games is his ability to call out a blitz. His recognition is remarkable at identifying the blitz and communicating it to the rest of the line. I am not confident that Price is as good at that.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 10:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Which scheme favors a quick, athletic, finesse technician, versus a #340 NT?

Zone, which I believe Pollack likes to run more of? Price would be a better power/gap blocker. But if Daniels can add some core and functional strength, well, he would be able to do it all then. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 02:17 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Zone, which I believe Pollack likes to run more of? Price would be a better power/gap blocker. But if Daniels can add some core and functional strength, well, he would be able to do it all then. 

False.  If a guy struggles with power and bull rushers in college, how do you think he's going to fare with a #340 NT in his face, all game long?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote