Poll: Better Center for the Bengals
Billy Price
James Daniels
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Price vs Daniels
(03-15-2018, 03:58 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I won't argue that history shows that it's unlikely, but when was the last time we have had 2 centers in a draft class that carry a first round grade?

As the draft sits now, I would not be surprised to see Daniels and Price off the board in the first round.  Then, the next one will come off at 45, because any team looking to draft one knows they need to get in front of Cincy.

Price falls because of his injury I think. Not far, but into the second round. I get that he said he should be healthy by TC, but he's going to miss rookie mini-camp, OTAs, and full mini-camp. A team might not want to take a gamble on someone with a partial pec tear in the first round who suffered the injury just under two months before the draft.

We'll have to wait and see I guess, but history is not on your side.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 12:02 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: True, but having issues being pushed back on bull rushes is not ideal.

I think Daniels is the better athlete, but I think Price is a better fit here.

That is what I'm talking about.  In order to rule this division, and have a legit shot at the big dance, you have to have a Center that can handle a 3-4 NT one on one.  

Even when this team had a really good OL (let's just use 2015, for arguments' sake), stout front sevens knew where to put the pressure, right up the middle.  Why?  Because the quickest route to blowing up a play is right up the gut.  When you need that critical 3rd or 4th and short, where are you wanting to go for that yard?  Right up the gut.  Hell, your Guards and Tackles can't even form a pocket around a guy that gets shoved straight back into the QB's lap, time after time again.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 03:10 PM)Au165 Wrote: If Travis Frederick then was Travis Frederick now he would have went earlier than 31. In fact A lot of analyst had Frederick graded far lower than a 1st round going into that draft. Most pundits hated the pick, Mayock had him graded as a 3rd rounder and Matt Miller hated the pick.

Travis Frederick actually thought he was a 2nd round guy heading into that draft himself as he said after he was picked. Below are some tweets from right after the pick...

@AlbertBreer

Text from one AFC personnel man when I told him the Cowboys took Frederick: "Yuck".

@ArmenWilliams

Talked to a guy on #Cowboys staff who knows what he's talking about re: draft. He was baffled beyond belief, to put it lightly.

Maybe si but many fans on here including myself wanted him with our first pick way earlier. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 04:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Price falls because of his injury I think. Not far, but into the second round. I get that he said he should be healthy by TC, but he's going to miss rookie mini-camp, OTAs, and full mini-camp. A team might not want to take a gamble on someone with a partial pec tear in the first round who suffered the injury just under two months before the draft.

We'll have to wait and see I guess, but history is not on your side.

(03-15-2018, 05:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That is what I'm talking about.  In order to rule this division, and have a legit shot at the big dance, you have to have a Center that can handle a 3-4 NT one on one.  

Even when this team had a really good OL (let's just use 2015, for arguments' sake), stout front sevens knew where to put the pressure, right up the middle.  Why?  Because the quickest route to blowing up a play is right up the gut.  When you need that critical 3rd or 4th and short, where are you wanting to go for that yard?  Right up the gut.  Hell, your Guards and Tackles can't even form a pocket around a guy that gets shoved straight back into the QB's lap, time after time again.

The thing about Price right now is...He Cannot Lift...which is huge.

Anyone that does any kinda weight training will tell you if you stop lifting that strength goes away quickly. Like I said I would take both Daniels and Ragnow over Price because you can get them into a NFL conditioning program right after they are drafted.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I'm an OSU fan and probably prejudiced in that direction, no doubt. But therefore I know a lot about Price. Top shelf in every way, and by saying that, I'm not saying anything negative about the other centers. Stand up guy, and can play all inside positions.

People who think centers should be relegated to later rounds, do not understand football in my opinion. Ask Paul Brown. Well that might be a little tough, but when did he draft Bob Johnson? What do you think Bodine has done to our offensive line for the last few seasons. Maybe not quite the detriment that Ogbuehi was, but it's close.

And yes, I still want another tackle, too. McGlinchey, Kolton Miller, O'Neil from Pitt are all worthy. But if we fix the line and Eifert can get healthy, the offense is back.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 09:29 PM)Synric Wrote: The thing about Price right now is...He Cannot Lift...which is huge.

Anyone that does any kinda weight training will tell you if you stop lifting that strength goes away quickly. Like I said I would take both Daniels and Ragnow over Price because you can get them into a NFL conditioning program right after they are drafted.

Blah, I guess you don't lift.  Have you ever heard of this thing called muscle memory?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 01:33 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: That's hard to say.  If the Bills keep their picks, #22 will more than likely be a Center.

The Bills already have a starting center. The talking heads who keep repeating that they need a center don't follow the team very closely.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 09:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Blah, I guess you don't lift.  Have you ever heard of this thing called muscle memory?

I don't I use a total gym but you cannot tell me that if you stop lifting for over 5 months you keep the same mass. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 09:40 PM)Synric Wrote: I don't I use a total gym but you cannot tell me that if you stop lifting for over 5 months you keep the same mass. 

Sorry man, you lose all credibility, when it comes to speaking about lifting and injuries.  

#1.  You honestly think that the bench press is the only lifting that man does?

#2.  He's likely already began a rehab program.

#3.  When he is cleared to perform pectoral centric exercises, his power/mass will come back faster than you could imagine.

#4. What is a "total gym"? Is that anything like a tug toner?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 09:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Blah, I guess you don't lift.  Have you ever heard of this thing called muscle memory?

I lift and I can say not lifting is huge; regardless what my muscles remember. You do realize muscle memory occurs in your brain and not actually in your muscles don't you? So I doubt he will forget how to lift, but it will affect his body. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 10:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I lift and I can say not lifting is huge; regardless what my muscles remember. You do realize muscle memory occurs in your brain and not actually in your muscles don't you? So I doubt he will forget how to lift, but it will affect his body. 

Well perhaps for you, that is the case.  However, I had my shoulder completely rebuilt at age 47.  Within 12 weeks of being cleared for "full training", I was back to 90% of my lifetime best in overhead press.  Now, if an old man can do that, and I eat and drink way too much, I think a more disciplined individual could do much better than I.

Now, Billy Price is a 21 year old, highly conditioned athlete, with the greatest in medical and rehabilitative resources at his disposal.

I'm not worried about him not being ready to play football this season.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 10:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sorry man, you lose all credibility, when it comes to speaking about lifting and injuries.  

#1.  You honestly think that the bench press is the only lifting that man does?

#2.  He's likely already began a rehab program.

#3.  When he is cleared to perform pectoral centric exercises, his power/mass will come back faster than you could imagine.

#4.  What is a "total gym"?  Is that anything like a tug toner?

1. No

2. Rehab is not lifting and gaining mass.

3. Yes it will come back and quicker but that does not mean it won't take a month or 2 it could be Nov. before he's lifting what he was before his injury. 

4. Come on don't lie man you know what a Total Gym is lol.

Not lifting is huge. There is no dispute.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 10:23 PM)Synric Wrote: 1. No

2. Rehab is not lifting and gaining mass.

3. Yes it will come back and quicker but that does not mean it won't take a month or 2 it could be Nov. before he's lifting what he was before his injury. 

4. Come on don't lie man you know what a Total Gym is lol.

Not lifting is huge. There is no dispute.

A tug toner?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 10:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: A tug toner?

Lol no no a Total Gym.

[Image: Total-Gym-XLS.jpg]

Honestly I prefer to run. Military habit that's hard to get out of...

Reply/Quote
I thought Price's injury wasn't serious, as in, he wouldn't miss much time at all?
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2018, 12:40 AM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: I thought Price's injury wasn't serious, as in, he wouldn't miss much time at all?

As I understand, the injury isn't serious, and he should be back to full go well before training camp begins.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 10:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I lift and I can say not lifting is huge; regardless what my muscles remember. You do realize muscle memory occurs in your brain and not actually in your muscles don't you? So I doubt he will forget how to lift, but it will affect his body. 

Agree

In my old age became a pool player where muscle memory is very important but one has to practice often to keep it sharp. Long layoffs will cause my stroke to be off (hate when that happens lol) and my engilshes to not take properly. Only get it back from many repetitions in practice. 

That being said am not afraid to draft him in second round or trading back for extra pick in first still. Had same injury and it took me about 6 months to recoup without round the clock Dr's and trainers helping. But do not see him lifting, snapping, or doing blocking drills for a minute to keep muscle memory sharp. 

But he will get it back quick enough if healing properly.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 10:05 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote:

Thanks, really would like to see Billy in stripes next season!!
Reply/Quote
The issue with the torn peck is where the tear is, a lot of times it effects that bicep too. I tore mine in college and while you can do some lifts you probably aren't doing any dead lifts or squats for the first couple months post injury so your limited to leg presses and other machines that don't require upper body usage. Redeveloping the chest takes some time, but it'll come back. I think his strength will be down a bit but my guess is by the time season starts he will be back to mostly normal.
Reply/Quote