Poll: Better Center for the Bengals
Billy Price
James Daniels
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Price vs Daniels
(03-15-2018, 10:53 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Jensen all day over both of them!

I'd go with Price, though, just because (1) I'm an OSU Homer and (2) the Big Ten is the NCAA's AFC North.

You do know that both players being voted on are from the Big 10 conference 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 12:35 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree and really do not want a Center in first round unless they draft Wynn to play Center. 

Want whoever is there in second round out of the top Centers ideally. 

I think these top guys are gone in the 2nd and I am not drafting Wynn to play center. I think a late 1st is ideal because you gain the 5th year option so somewhere between 28-32 on one of these two guys would be ideal to me.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 12:35 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree and really do not want a Center in first round unless they draft Wynn to play Center. 

Want whoever is there in second round out of the top Centers ideally. 

After 4 years of Bodine, I would gladly take a center in round 1.

Both of those guys are in the 20-30 range as far as prospects go, so I'm ok taking one there.

I don't think Wynn is there.

There is no way in the world I want to wait and take a center.  It's been too much of a sore thumb.  It's the biggest need on the team.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 12:41 PM)Au165 Wrote: I think these top guys are gone in the 2nd and I am not drafting Wynn to play center. I think a late 1st is ideal because you gain the 5th year option so somewhere between 28-32 on one of these two guys would be ideal to me.

We will have to agree to disagree then and there are multiple Centers in draft that can help. 

Many scouts say Wynn may be drafted to play Center. Which means he can play every spot on OL. Hard not to like that, his size, and athleticism.   

Ragnow, Bozeman, Quessenberry, Price, and Daniels would all be upgrades at Center if not going with Wynn. One or more will be there in 2nd round and suspecting at least one will be there in 3rd round even. 

Would not panic in first on a Center and would grab the versatile Wynn or best LBer if gone and no Tackles of interest are there such as a McGlinchey.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 12:50 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: After 4 years of Bodine, I would gladly take a center in round 1.

Both of those guys are in the 20-30 range as far as prospects go, so I'm ok taking one there.

I don't think Wynn is there.

There is no way in the world I want to wait and take a center.  It's been too much of a sore thumb.  It's the biggest need on the team.

Should have grabbed Richburg in FA if that is your stance. Did not see many people saying that though.

Agree that Bodine is weak link but do not see any Travis Frederick's in draft who many of us wanted in first round unless it is Wynn. 

Plus Price's injury benching will drop him some.

Just my opinion though. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 12:54 PM)Go Cards Wrote: We will have to agree to disagree then and there are multiple Centers in draft that can help. 

Many scouts say Wynn may be drafted to play Center. Which means he can play every spot on OL. Hard not to like that, his size, and athleticism.   

Ragnow, Bozeman, Quessenberry, Price, and Daniels would all be upgrades at Center if not going with Wynn. One or more will be there in 2nd round and suspecting at least one will be there in 3rd round even. 

Would not panic in first on a Center and would grab the versatile Wynn or best LBer if gone and no Tackles of interest are there such as a McGlinchey.

I didn't say there weren't ones that could help, when your at the bottom everything is an upgrade. I said all the top ones, meaning the two guys specifically referenced here, would be gone. Wynn never played center in college (got a tryout before sophomore year and they chose to put him somewhere else), I am not drafting a center in the 1st round who has never taken a meaningful snap at center. 

I'd take Wynn at 21 if the plan is he is replacing Redmond/Hopkins, but not if it's to replace Bodine.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 12:54 PM)Go Cards Wrote: We will have to agree to disagree then and there are multiple Centers in draft that can help. 

One of Daniels, Price, or Ragnow will be available at 46. That's where I'm looking (or rather hoping) at C to be drafted.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 01:02 PM)Au165 Wrote: I didn't say there weren't ones that could help, when your at the bottom everything is an upgrade. I said all the top ones, meaning the two guys specifically referenced here, would be gone. Wynn never played center in college (got a tryout before sophomore year and they chose to put him somewhere else), I am not drafting a center in the 1st round who has never taken a meaningful snap at center. 

I'd take Wynn at 21 if the plan is he is replacing Redmond/Hopkins, but not if it's to replace Bodine.

Agree would draft Wynn as a Guard or Tackle but if he can make the move as scouts say then even better. 

The order I listed the Centers in were straight from Draftek rankings which had 3 listed before Price and Daniels just for the record. 

Had Wynn listed right behind Price and Daniels as Center. Just do not think we have to panic at 21 to get a solid Center. 

But if Pollack is in love with one like he clearly was when drafting Travis Frederick in 1st round then am certainly fine with it.  

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 01:12 PM)ochocincos Wrote: One of Daniels, Price, or Ragnow will be available at 46. That's where I'm looking (or rather hoping) at C to be drafted.

Agree 100% 

Just do not see a big run on Centers. Sure a couple will go but not all. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 01:15 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree 100% 

I get a little worried about round 2 with the Dolphins now probably parting with Pouncey. They and the Giants definitely have needs and a few others could find themselves in the market based on age of their current starter. As far as 1st round goes I think the Chargers could take one as they need to protect Rivers. I will say Price's injury makes me feel better he could fall to the 2nd where we sit. 

If we have a willingness to trade up a few spots in the 2nd if there is a run I'd feel better. To me a great center is a seriously under rated part of the team.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 12:58 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Should have grabbed Richburg in FA if that is your stance. Did not see many people saying that though.

Agree that Bodine is weak link but do not see any Travis Frederick's in draft who many of us wanted in first round unless it is Wynn. 

Plus Price's injury benching will drop him some.

Just my opinion though. 

You and I both knew that was never going to happen.  That's why it was never brought up.  The Bengals aren't going to pay that kind of scratch for a Center in FA (or any player for that matter)

(03-15-2018, 01:12 PM)ochocincos Wrote: One of Daniels, Price, or Ragnow will be available at 46. That's where I'm looking (or rather hoping) at C to be drafted.

That's hard to say.  If the Bills keep their picks, #22 will more than likely be a Center.

(03-15-2018, 01:15 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree 100% 

It only takes one team to take one to start the run.  IF Buffalo takes one, then it wouldn't be a shock to see them all gone by 46.  Especially with everyone knowing that the Bengals need one, some team will jump to 45 to take one.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 01:33 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: You and I both knew that was never going to happen.  That's why it was never brought up.  The Bengals aren't going to pay that kind of scratch for a Center in FA (or any player for that matter)

That's hard to say.  If the Bills keep their picks, #22 will more than likely be a Center.

It only takes one team to take one to start the run.  IF Buffalo takes one, then it wouldn't be a shock to see them all gone by 46.  Especially with everyone knowing that the Bengals need one, some team will jump to 45 to take one.

Hard to say that all three of those guys will be gone by 46? I disagree. I think there's a good chance one is gone. MAYBE two. Not all three.

Going back through the past five years, here's how many centers have been drafted in the top 45:
2017 - 0
2016 - 1 (Ryan Kelly)
2015 - 1 (Cam Erving)
2014 - 1 (Weston Richburg)
2013 - 1 (Travis Frederick)
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 01:24 PM)Au165 Wrote: I get a little worried about round 2 with the Dolphins now probably parting with Pouncey. They and the Giants definitely have needs and a few others could find themselves in the market based on age of their current starter. As far as 1st round goes I think the Chargers could take one as they need to protect Rivers. I will say Price's injury makes me feel better he could fall to the 2nd where we sit. 

If we have a willingness to trade up a few spots in the 2nd if there is a run I'd feel better. To me a great center is a seriously under rated part of the team.

Agree completely just do not see a lock to be great one out there but see several that could be.

If there was a clear cut Travis Frederick I would be all in and mocked him that year as well. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 01:33 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: You and I both knew that was never going to happen.  That's why it was never brought up.  The Bengals aren't going to pay that kind of scratch for a Center in FA (or any player for that matter)

Well I brought it up plenty when others were saying there were no OL FA even worthy. But after signing Glenn knew there was no chance at that anymore. 

But the Bengals have already done several moves that I thought would never happen.

Plus it was not about what I thought the Bengals would do, it was about what I thought the Bengals needed to do.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 12:38 PM)Go Cards Wrote: You do know that both players being voted on are from the Big 10 conference 

Yes but OSU just seems to exemplify it more than Iowa.
Reply/Quote
Anyway, no need to argue because I agree that the Center position is very important like you.

But Tackles are as well as all spots on the line. Just disagree on where to take this years crop of Centers.

Think there are better Tackles, Guards or LBers available that will not be there next round if skipped over.

Want best available of those three spots personally but understand those who are scared to gamble here.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 02:04 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Yes but OSU just seems to exemplify it more than Iowa.

Do not hate OSU and have had cousins play there (special teams) and cheer there. 

Just was pointing it out. 

Actually smoked a joint in the open end of end zone during school hours by myself while doing work on campus for a week, Sex there was on bucket list but settled for that instead. Thought someone would say something about me jumping fence and going in but everybody just walked on by like it was normal to see someone in stadium alone.  

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 02:04 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Yes but OSU just seems to exemplify it more than Iowa.

Hawkeyes are known for their talented well coached offensive lines.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 02:01 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree completely just do not see a lock to be great one out there but see several that could be.

If there was a clear cut Travis Frederick I would be all in and mocked him that year as well. 

If Travis Frederick then was Travis Frederick now he would have went earlier than 31. In fact A lot of analyst had Frederick graded far lower than a 1st round going into that draft. Most pundits hated the pick, Mayock had him graded as a 3rd rounder and Matt Miller hated the pick.

Travis Frederick actually thought he was a 2nd round guy heading into that draft himself as he said after he was picked. Below are some tweets from right after the pick...

@AlbertBreer

Text from one AFC personnel man when I told him the Cowboys took Frederick: "Yuck".

@ArmenWilliams

Talked to a guy on #Cowboys staff who knows what he's talking about re: draft. He was baffled beyond belief, to put it lightly.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 01:42 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Hard to say that all three of those guys will be gone by 46? I disagree. I think there's a good chance one is gone. MAYBE two. Not all three.

Going back through the past five years, here's how many centers have been drafted in the top 45:
2017 - 0
2016 - 1 (Ryan Kelly)
2015 - 1 (Cam Erving)
2014 - 1 (Weston Richburg)
2013 - 1 (Travis Frederick)

I won't argue that history shows that it's unlikely, but when was the last time we have had 2 centers in a draft class that carry a first round grade?

As the draft sits now, I would not be surprised to see Daniels and Price off the board in the first round.  Then, the next one will come off at 45, because any team looking to draft one knows they need to get in front of Cincy.
Reply/Quote