Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Pro Bowl talent all across roster except for Oline and maybe Punter
You Got Burrow at QB, Mixon at RB, Chase and Tee at WR .Reader and Tre On the DL. Logan at LB Awuzie at CB, Bates at S Along with Mcpherson at K. Totally obvious we can be 2006 Pats type of dominant if we fix the Oline. Lets fix the mfing line and tell all these super teams in the AFC to hold our beer
Reply/Quote
The Bengals will be focused on improving the team where it truly needs it. Bates is the only one of the free agents that’s more solely focused on getting lots of money. I think after him we have more agreeable FA’s.First order is resigning Uzomah. He had a great season and plenty worth the amount he was paid this year. His locker room presence important. Don’t discount the organization wanting to keep that culture. Bates and C J were a huge part. The next part in keeping there own free agents is at minimum either Ugonjobi or Hill. I think they resign one. Then they need Apple but only a very cap friendly deal. Draft a rookie corner at 63.

Now new free agents. I’d draft a top center but I’d keep Hopkins. Hopkins if he gets beat out could play center or guard as a reserve in case of injury. I’d keep Prince as a reserve at tackle with his friendly cost. Then I’d get either a guard or tackle that’s a solid performer.

In the draft I’d get a guard or tackle at 31 depending on who you get in FA. At #63 get a corner. At #95 get a DT and in the 4th round a safety. From there it’s best player available.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 12:03 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: You Got Burrow at QB, Mixon at RB, Chase and Tee at WR .Reader and Tre On the DL. Logan at LB Awuzie at CB, Bates at S Along with Mcpherson at K. Totally obvious we can be 2006 Pats type of dominant if we fix the Oline. Lets fix the  mfing line and tell all these super teams in the AFC to hold our beer

Last year our defense was in the bottom half of the league in both yards and points allowed.

Right now that defense is losing a starting CB, a starting DT (who was top 7 in the league among DTs in sacks, tackles for loss, and QB hits) plus two other DTs who combined to play as many snaps a a starter.

We have more problems than just the O-line to address.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 12:32 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: The Bengals will be focused on improving the team where it truly needs it. Bates is the only one of the free agents that’s more solely focused on getting lots of money. I think after him we have more agreeable FA’s.First order is resigning Uzomah. He had a great season and plenty worth the amount he was paid this year. His locker room presence important. Don’t discount the organization wanting to keep that culture. Bates and C J were a huge part. The next part in keeping there own free agents is at minimum either Ugonjobi or Hill. I think they resign one. Then they need Apple but only a very cap friendly deal. Draft a rookie corner at 63.

Now new free agents. I’d draft a top center but I’d keep Hopkins. Hopkins if he gets beat out could play center or guard as a reserve in case of injury. I’d keep Prince as a reserve at tackle with his friendly cost. Then I’d get either a guard or tackle that’s a solid performer.

In the draft I’d get a guard or tackle at 31 depending on who you get in FA. At #63 get a corner. At #95 get a DT and in the 4th round a safety. From there it’s best player available.

Will be interesting. Because ….we are a more of a desired landing spot or staying spot and what they leverage will bring. Kinda an unknown. I think it factors. Especially anxious to see the results with Uzomah, Ogunjobi, Hill, Apple, Spain, and Reiff. I think they re-sign Reiff but 2 years for 8 million range.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 12:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Last year our defense was in the bottom half of the league in both yards and points allowed.

Right now that defense is losing a starting CB, a starting DT (who was top 7 in the league among DTs in sacks, tackles for loss, and QB hits) plus two other DTs who combined to play as many snaps a a starter.

Yes - The defense isn't exactly the Steel Curtain.

Now in the playoffs, the defense stepped up and made timely plays. For most of the regular season, the offense carried the team mainly. The defense did have good games at times though.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 12:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Last year our defense was in the bottom half of the league in both yards and points allowed.

Look, the D was far better than you're making this out to be. They were 17th overall/17th in ppg allowed/18th in yards allowed so you could have easily said that as in middle-of-the-pack to make it look a bit better. Is the fat lady really too fat or just a bit to short.

They were 5th in the NFL against the run last season and of the 4 teams ahead of them (TB,Balt.,Tennessee and NO) only one of them (NO) was better than the Bengals in pass D. How did NO do last season? What's that really tell you?

Teams threw a boatload against them because, mainly A) they could not run the ball, and B) The offense was a quick scoring offense and the D was out there alot. I don't have time of possession stats., etc. but the D was also put either in some terrible situations in a few games (SF, Chargers) or just started slowly only to play well the rest of the game giving the offense several chances to take the lead/win the game.

Were there some clunkers? Absolutely but other than "maybe" a couple teams who doesn't have a few games alot of points are given up? They put in several new defensive starters and I'd bet there weren't too many teams, if any, that plugged in more new starters. Do they need to get better? Sure they do because they'd really like to become a top ten D and, naturally, they're going to have to replace some starters.

With everything being said, the defensive performance this team put on in the playoffs tells far more who they were both last season and probably going into next season.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 12:03 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: You Got Burrow at QB, Mixon at RB, Chase and Tee at WR .Reader and Tre On the DL. Logan at LB Awuzie at CB, Bates at S Along with Mcpherson at K. Totally obvious we can be 2006 Pats type of dominant if we fix the Oline. Lets fix the  mfing line and tell all these super teams in the AFC to hold our beer

Damn rights. Mellow

We fix this OL and bring back our own we are head and shoulders the best team in the AFC for years IMO.

We need to still see if we can beat the Bills but I think we can with a much better OL.
Reply/Quote
in the 8 games the Bengals lost, 6 of them were by 3 points and 2 of those went to overtime.

Bears .........20-23
Packers......17-20 OT
Jets............31-34
Browns......41-16
Chargers....22-41
49ers.........23-26 OT
Browns ....16-21
Rams .......20-23

They did this with a QB getting pummeled and not being able to pick up crucial short yardage run plays even.

Got to think with a solid O-line five of these losses are wins easily and could be six. Yet not counting the season finale against Browns since neither starting QB played. The only losses that may have remained would be the Browns and Chargers and the LA game was closer than the score indicates imo. Yet will still call it a loss.

So I believe with a good decent O-line the Bengals would have been 18-2 and SB Champions with the defense they already had on field.

Not to mention most of these 3 point losses was before Bates was playing good.

Just believe that with a solid O-line many of these games are not even close since Bengals are playing really good teams GB, SF, and Rams already to the wire while getting sacked at a record pace and rarely being able to pick up crucial short yardage 1st downs by running the ball.

Yet have always been in the camp of fixing O-line in FA if possible and giving the defense the lions share of the draft picks to bolster them as well. Could go other way but believe its harder to draft a OL ready to go starter in draft than a defensive player at pick 31 in each round personally.

This window is small to achieve this before Burrow is paid though.

Hate speculating though and just waiting for Bengals to show their cards by what moves they make in FA.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 12:32 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: The Bengals will be focused on improving the team where it truly needs it. Bates is the only one of the free agents that’s more solely focused on getting lots of money. I think after him we have more agreeable FA’s.First order is resigning Uzomah. He had a great season and plenty worth the amount he was paid this year. His locker room presence important. Don’t discount the organization wanting to keep that culture. Bates and C J were a huge part. The next part in keeping there own free agents is at minimum either Ugonjobi or Hill. I think they resign one. Then they need Apple but only a very cap friendly deal. Draft a rookie corner at 63.

I dont know Sooner...

CJ would by my last priority.  I like him, the team likes him, but I think fans overplay the locker room stuff. These guys are professionals, Burrow, Mixon, Chase none of these guys need CJ to motivate them.  And to be honest these guys play with a different roster every single year. I think he comes back but not the top priority by any means.

Oline is my 1st and foremost priority. Signing Jensen and trading for Collins helps every other move we make.

We must sign a DT - Hill seems to be the most economical between he and Ogunjobi.  

CB - It seems the Bengals would like to find another Awuzie type of deal 3 yrs 21M.  But since we saved cash with the Collins trade I would use it here to bump just a little bit and grab Deonte Jackson for 2 yrs at 10M and draft a CB this and next draft.

TE - If we could get CJ to a friendly deal I have no issue, but just because he is a fan fav doesnt change the fact he is a very average TE - not a knock to him, there are just several good ones.  Conklin is a guy I like and Mo Alie-Cox is very good as well and both are under CJ's projected price with higher PFF scores.

Other key pieces:

G - Norwell if he comes with a hometown discount, or Spain on vet minimum, or Hobson mentioned C Williams - any of the 3 help. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't sign a guard to be honest, but would be thrilled.

DT - a guy like Tim Settle at Washington would be a great pairing with BJ - he played behind tremendous defenders but is set to breakout and will be a bargain.

CB - Eli Apple or Witherspoon from the Steelers as CB4 adds solid depth at a low price.

Compared to the SB Team:

Upgraded the oline tremendously
DT is wait and see on upgrade.
CB is a large upgrade
TE is same or wait and see.

The oline and CB are serious priority positions and we should be a better team with this lineup.

I would draft BPA as much as possible.

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 03:48 PM)higgy100 Wrote: With everything being said, the defensive performance this team put on in the playoffs tells far more who they were both last season and probably going into next season.

You have to be careful with that assumption.  NFL history is full of great postseason performances that never equated to regular season success.

You old enough to remember Bengal safety Dexter Jackson?
Reply/Quote

Best starting positions going into FA:
- QB
- WR
- Safety
- K
- 1T

Good positions:
- DE (another good pass rusher would help)
- CB (need to get new starting outside CB)
- RB

OK positions:
- LB

Bad/unknown positions:
- OL (duh)
- TE (since Uzomah hitting FA)
- 3T (since both Ogunjobi and Hill hitting FA)
- P
- LS
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2022, 01:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You have to be careful with that assumption.  NFL history is full of great postseason performances that never equated to regular season success.

You old enough to remember Bengal safety Dexter Jackson?

Was Dexter Jackson a stud through that whole playoff run, or just in the Super Bowl? But, oh man do I remember people being hyped when we signed him. 'We go a super bowl MVP!'
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2022, 02:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Best starting positions going into FA:
- QB
- WR
- Safety
- K
- 1T

Good positions:
- RB

OK positions:
- LB

Bad/unknown positions:
- OL (duh)
- P
- LS
I agree with the exception of LB Logan was playing this well with a bum shoulder. Pratt while no pro bowler is decent.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2022, 04:33 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: I agree with the exception of LB Logan was playing this well with a bum shoulder. Pratt while no pro bowler is decent.

Plus we got Bettcher here to coach them and they are young and talented. Agree, LB is good could be great.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2022, 02:07 AM)Go Cards Wrote: in the 8 games the Bengals lost, 6 of them were by 3 points and 2 of those went to overtime.

Bears .........20-23
Packers......17-20 OT
Jets............31-34
Browns......41-16
Chargers....22-41
49ers.........23-26 OT
Browns ....16-21
Rams .......20-23

They did this with a QB getting pummeled and not being able to pick up crucial short yardage run plays even.

Got to think with a solid O-line five of these losses are wins easily and could be six. Yet not counting the season finale against Browns since neither starting QB played. The only losses  that may have remained would be the Browns and Chargers and the LA game was closer than the score indicates imo. Yet will still call it a loss.

So I believe with a good decent O-line the Bengals would have been 18-2 and SB Champions with the defense they already had on field.

Just believe that with a solid O-line many of these games are not even close since Bengals are playing really good teams GB, SF, and Rams already to the wire while getting sacked at a record pace and rarely being able to pick up crucial short yardage 1st downs by running the ball.

Yet have always been in the camp of fixing O-line in FA if possible and giving the defense the lions share of the draft picks to bolster them as well. Could go other way but believe its harder to draft a OL ready to go starter in draft than a defensive player at pick 31 in each round personally.

Hate speculating though and just waiting for Bengals to show their cards by what moves they make in FA.

Not so sure I'd go as far as not even close ? But I do believe we'd have had 3 or 4 more wins including the Super Bowl with a decent Oline.

You can't have all all pro bowler team, it's just impossible. So you have to build around your strength, ours is Joe Burrow. Get him a real line and watch it unfold.

I'm not saying totally ignore the D. However you basically have to choose one or the other ( O od D ) it's hard to have both be top 10 units.

Get an Oline, a real Oline and things will change.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2022, 02:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Best starting positions going into FA:
- QB
- WR
- Safety
- K
- 1T

Good positions:
- RB

OK positions:
- LB

Bad/unknown positions:
- OL (duh)
- P
- LS

I would move Jonah down to Good and MLB up to Good, Keep Pratt at ok.   Good stuff though.

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2022, 04:57 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Not so sure I'd go as far as not even close ? But I do believe we'd have had 3 or 4 more wins including the Super Bowl with a decent Oline.

You can't have all all pro bowler team, it's just impossible. So you have to build around your strength, ours is Joe Burrow. Get him a real line and watch it unfold.

I'm not saying totally ignore the D. However you basically have to choose one or the other ( O od D ) it's hard to have both be top 10 units.

Get an Oline, a real Oline and things will change.

Excellent take.

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2022, 05:04 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I would move Jonah down to Good and MLB up to Good, Keep Pratt at ok.   Good stuff though.

I wasn't going to break down each specific OL or LB position. I only did it for DT because Reader is a great 1T but there's nothing next to him right now. Didn't want to make it sound like I was discounting him.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2022, 02:07 AM)Go Cards Wrote: in the 8 games the Bengals lost, 6 of them were by 3 points and 2 of those went to overtime.

Bears .........20-23
Packers......17-20 OT
Jets............31-34
Browns......41-16
Chargers....22-41
49ers.........23-26 OT
Browns ....16-21
Rams .......20-23

Got to think with a solid O-line five of these losses are wins easily and could be six. Yet not counting the season finale against Browns since neither starting QB played. The only losses that may have remained would be the Browns and Chargers and the LA game was closer than the score indicates imo. Yet will still call it a loss.

14-2? Your premise is correct. A better OL and we definitely win several more games. Really if we can add a running game to this offense it’s going to be ridiculous to defend. Mixon is dynamic in the open field. Just being able to convert third and fourth downs with ease will do wonders. But teams are going to play a lot more dropping 8 against us. We have to respond with punishing them in the run game consequently
Reply/Quote

Doesn't mean there isn't PB talent.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote