Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Mixon-mystery tweet
(08-09-2020, 01:35 PM)jason Wrote:  I'm starting to come around to the belief that teams should just run a running back hard on his rookie deal, and then move on. Just like in dating... There's always another train coming.

But this is just not true.  People like to point to a handful of middle/late round picks and a couple of UDFA and act like good RBs are a dime a dozen.  The fact is that those handful of decent RBs are out of dozens of RBs drafted in the middle late rounds and iundreds signed as UDFA.  The odds are against being able to consistently find NFL quality RBs without using a first or second round pick every other year or so.   For every success story you can point to I can find two failures.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2020, 01:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But this is just not true.  People like to point to a handful of middle/late round picks and a couple of UDFA and act like good RBs are a dime a dozen.  The fact is that those handful of decent RBs are out of dozens of RBs drafted in the middle late rounds and iundreds signed as UDFA.  The odds are against being able to consistently find NFL quality RBs without using a first or second round pick every other year or so.   For every success story you can point to I can find two failures.

I think what hurts RB value (from a fans perspective) is that there are some amazing running backs on very bad teams. Mccaffrey and saquon are generational talents but they aren’t carrying their teams to wins currently. Mixon is awesome, but the Bengals were still 2-14...

On the flip side, think of last years super bowl. 2 castoff dolphins UDFAs tore it up for those teams last year.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2020, 01:35 PM)jason Wrote: I'm just glad he's not challenging us to do better than his one yard per carry vs San Francisco...

I have mixed feelings on Joe Mixon. He's done his best to make people forget his lil incident in college, and he's a nice talent. The guy's known nothing but losing in the NFL, and still walks with his head high talking about nobody being able to stop him, and his teammates. That's gotta  be good for the locker room... But... I'm starting to come around to the belief that teams should just run a running back hard on his rookie deal, and then move on. Just like in dating... There's always another train coming.

Barry Sanders..... where have I heard that name before....  the one and only.... Barry Sanders.

This reply is endorsed by Joe emote.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2020, 03:55 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I think what hurts RB value (from a fans perspective) is that there are some amazing running backs on very bad teams. Mccaffrey and saquon are generational talents but they aren’t carrying their teams to wins currently. Mixon is awesome, but the Bengals were still 2-14...

On the flip side, think of last years super bowl. 2 castoff dolphins UDFAs tore it up for those teams last year.

It's almost like running back is the last piece of the puzzle. Which again points to not paying for the position.  Build everything else up and almost any RB can have success. 
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Like Mixon, but he can stop posting like an attention seeking 14 year old any day now.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2020, 06:49 PM)Destro Wrote: Like Mixon, but he can stop posting like an attention seeking 14 year old any day now.

I’m probably one of the biggest Mixon fans on this board, and even I’m starting to roll my eyes a bit. I actually had a bad feeling from the very first tweet.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-09-2020, 08:26 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m probably one of the biggest Mixon fans on this board, and even I’m starting to roll my eyes a bit. I actually had a bad feeling from the very first tweet.

Bad feeling about what???
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2020, 08:37 PM)jason Wrote: Bad feeling about what???

Well, a bunch of people instantly interpreted that initial tweet as him getting ready to sign an extension, and that wasn’t the feeling I got from it at all.

Reply/Quote
(08-09-2020, 08:39 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well, a bunch of people instantly interpreted that initial tweet as him getting ready to sign an extension, and that wasn’t the feeling I got from it at all.

Yeah... I kinda thought he was too, then it seemed to have shifted to him playing this year out. That's a gamble for both sides I suppose. I'd like to know what they offered him. I'm not on Twitter or any similar platform, but it seems folks close to him in age like to belt out every thought that pops into their heads looking for validation. If he puts up a big season (Sports Illustrated predicts he makes the pro bowl) he's gonna have a big asking price.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2020, 08:39 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well, a bunch of people instantly interpreted that initial tweet as him getting ready to sign an extension, and that wasn’t the feeling I got from it at all.

To bad people can't communicate like adults anymore instead of playing these little "Guess what I mean" 
games.

And after Shawn Willimas comment it was pretty clear tome he was talking about a contract offer.

What was the feeling you got from it?  May be you speak twitter better than I.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2020, 08:39 AM)fredtoast Wrote: To bad people can't communicate like adults anymore instead of playing these little "Guess what I mean" 
games.

And after Shawn Willimas comment it was pretty clear tome he was talking about a contract offer.

What was the feeling you got from it?  May be you speak twitter better than I.

I don’t even do Twitter, but the feeling I got was he was unsure about signing an extension. And probably leaning towards not.

Reply/Quote