Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proposed KO rules....
(05-04-2018, 05:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That is why it needs to be exactly like a punt.

Give the team 4th and 10 (or 15) at their own 35.  They can either punt or go for it.

What??  That is preposterous.  4th down can only result from playing the first 3 downs preceding.  So, you want to propose taking away a perfectly exciting way to initiate play, and replace it with some hypothetical fairy tale?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 05:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What??  That is preposterous.  4th down can only result from playing the first 3 downs preceding.  So, you want to propose taking away a perfectly exciting way to initiate play, and replace it with some hypothetical fairy tale?

A punt is just as exciting as a kick off.  Just fewer serious injuries.
Reply/Quote
I've always thought the count to 10 was the fairest way to determine a KO
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 05:39 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Avg. NFL punt is 45yds and it takes around 20 yds for a player reach full speed. Players are still going to be running at full speed when they hit the ball carrier.

But not all 11 guys on each team.  Basically just the gunners on the cover team.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 05:36 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: But even if 1 kickoff return in 5 years changed the outcome of a game in the teams favor its worth it...   its exciting to watch.

You can't call a play the results in excitement one time in five years "the most exciting part of the game"

Replace it with a punt and you lose zero excitement but reduce injuries.
Reply/Quote
I seem to recall Adam Jones having quite a few exciting returns in the last 5 years. I mean other then him we had Brandon Tate who was never an exciting returner. But now it looks like we drafted a good one. Don't be taking it away now.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 06:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: A punt is just as exciting as a kick off.  Just fewer serious injuries.

Maybe in your opinion..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Devin Hester sure wasn't exciting in his time, neither was Deion Sanders or any of those Kickoff Returns.

Adam wasn't exciting either. Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
Hoping to see Phillips return some kicks.

Anyway Ive thought about this and I think the more this direction they should go the cheaper it should be to see the games and the less money players should make. They get paid multimillions to take those risks. Its a choice. They could have a college degree and earn their way closer to what normal people do, or they could be football players and sacrifice their bodies in exchange for millions of dollars and retire by age 35. If they keep taking the risk and the fun out of it, the value goes down. I think its pretty fair anyway. Its not like these guys are risking actual their lives working 50 hours per week a mile deep, 52 weeks per year for 60k per year like coal minors or something. They are football players and a lot of good people pay serious money to watch these guys play and support them.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 09:36 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Hoping to see Phillips return some kicks.

Anyway Ive thought about this and I think the more this direction they should go the cheaper it should be to see the games and the less money players should make. They get paid multimillions to take those risks. Its a choice. They could have a college degree and earn their way closer to what normal people do, or they could be football players and sacrifice their bodies in exchange for millions of dollars and retire by age 35. If they keep taking the risk and the fun out of it, the value goes down. I think its pretty fair anyway. Its not like these guys are risking actual their lives working 50 hours per week a mile deep, 52 weeks per year for 60k per year like coal minors or something. They are football players and a lot of good people pay serious money to watch these guys play and support them.

My perspective is pretty much the same as yours.  Every time they amend the rules of the game in the name of safety, they take another piece of the excitement away from the entertainment aspect of the game.  If we wanted to watch non-stop scoring, where people rarely get seriously injured, we would all be watching arena ball.  Is it any wonder that arena ball players only make 100K or less?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 05:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Please show me this top ten list that I asked for.

You don't need a top ten. You only need 1. The possibility of changing a L to a W. Drop the sippy cup and get off the high chair. This is what it's all about. Hope, chance, last ditch effort. Change the game, be a man and win. Take that away? Let's just watch fishing with Grampohol (no offense Gramps).

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 08:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Devin Hester sure wasn't exciting in his time, neither was Deion Sanders or any of those Kickoff Returns.

Adam wasn't exciting either. Sarcasm

How bout don't kick the ball to Dante Hall aka the human joystick.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 02:25 PM)grampahol Wrote:  ...the league will go on without you..  

If enough people say "f**k it,"  - no, it won't.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2018, 04:29 AM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: Alex Erickson thinking he was a fast black guy 

Seriously?
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2018, 02:10 PM)Tomkat Wrote: If enough people say "f**k it,"  - no, it won't.

They won't.

The kick off is a very minor part of the game.  Fans do not even knpow what players are on the kick off anf cover teams

People who love football will not quit watching just because of a rule change like this.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 11:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Anyone knows the answer is Soccer.

Give blood. Play Rugby.  Ninja
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2018, 05:27 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Give blood. Play Rugby.  Ninja

If someone would have shown me Rugby, about the time we all started playing football?  I might have went for Rugby.  Kind of reminded me of a game we played on the playground, in recess.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2018, 06:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If someone would have shown me Rugby, about the time we all started playing football?  I might have went for Rugby.  Kind of reminded me of a game we played on the playground, in recess.

If you're going to play in shorts and knee socks, you gotta be tough !!

Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2018, 06:18 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: If you're going to play in shorts and knee socks, you gotta be tough !!

I don't often stumble upon full team games.  However, I do catch some of the Sevens league games.  Quite exciting and fast paced.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 11:51 PM)grampahol Wrote: Full contact ping pong golfing chess.  

That's the one i was going with. Soccer schmoccer. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote