Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proposed KO rules....
(05-04-2018, 04:57 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: You can blame that on coaching.

However, what does the KO give you? Think of the posabilities? The KO has changed the outcome of many, I repeat, Many games.

And it's one of the most penalized plays in football.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2018, 07:58 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It's not really that irrational. It's simply work place safety. Everyone who works should be entitled to that. 

You would have to ban boxing, Professional Wrestling, MMA..... basically ANY sport who's sole purpose is to knock his/her opponent out or hurt them so they can't continue. Imagine Boxing/MMA without head punches. MAKE NO MISTAKE, football players are still trying to knock guys out of the game......even with the rule changes.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2018, 08:11 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: You would have to ban boxing, Professional Wrestling, MMA..... basically ANY sport who's sole purpose is to knock his/her opponent out or hurt them so they can't continue. Imagine Boxing/MMA without head punches. MAKE NO MISTAKE, football players are still trying to knock guys out of the game......even with the rule changes.

All of those sports do the same thing the NFL is trying to do. Mitigate serious injuries. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2018, 08:15 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: All of those sports do the same thing the NFL is trying to do. Mitigate serious injuries. 

How do you mitigate someone trying to knock you out? It's literally the whole point of the sport.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2018, 08:17 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: How do you mitigate someone trying to knock you out? It's literally the whole point of the sport.

Quality gloves, in some cases headgear, and good qualified refs and doctors. And then throw in the inability to fight again until you're cleared by doctors. 

Reply/Quote
(05-06-2018, 08:21 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Quality gloves, in some cases headgear, and good qualified refs and doctors. And then throw in the inability to fight again until you're cleared by doctors. 

A person is still getting his head bashed in from blunt force trauma! None of those things you mentioned change that.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2018, 08:26 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: A person is still getting his head bashed in from blunt force trauma! None of those things you mentioned change that.

And the kickoff is not going to be eliminated. They're just tweaking it so that the collisions are a bit more bearable and less apt to lead to a head injury. 

Reply/Quote
(05-06-2018, 08:21 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Quality gloves, in some cases headgear, and good qualified refs and doctors. And then throw in the inability to fight again until you're cleared by doctors. 

Lol, alright, sure.   LOL   

How about we just decide that athletes that choose to participate in violent sports do so knowing full well the possible dangers involved?  Playing a professional sport is much more financially rewarding than average jobs, in part because of the inherent danger involved.  It's much different than being a miner or a tower climber, or even say a Surveyor working in a high traffic area.  Those are all career choices where the applicant fully expects to be able to work their entire working life, unlike an athlete who works as an entertainer until their physical skills no longer afford them the ability to keep their job.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The funny thing is that if you, as a fan, ever read the back of your ticket. It basically says that by attending the game you take on all risk and that the organization is not liable for any injuries/death that may occur while attending the event. AND WE PAY TO GO! Maybe the fans need to start wearing helmets to the games. #fansafety!
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2018, 08:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Lol, alright, sure.   LOL   

How about we just decide that athletes that choose to participate in violent sports do so knowing full well the possible dangers involved?  Playing a professional sport is much more financially rewarding than average jobs, in part because of the inherent danger involved.  It's much different than being a miner or a tower climber, or even say a Surveyor working in a high traffic area.  Those are all career choices where the applicant fully expects to be able to work their entire working life, unlike an athlete who works as an entertainer until their physical skills no longer afford them the ability to keep their job.

But why should a person with the skills to make money playing professional sports have to risk his life more than necessary.

I don't go to a football game for the injuries.  I go to see great players make great plays.  The game is still ultraviolent.  There are hundreds of serious injuries every year.  So what is wrong with making it safer so that the great players we want to watch have a better chance of staying on the field to entertain us?

Players are getting bigger and faster.  The collisions are much more powerful than they were 30 years ago.  I have no problem with making it a little safer.  I want to see the best players on the field performing instead of in a hospital.
Reply/Quote
The athletic commissions that oversee boxing and MMA are so far ahead of the NFL in protecting their athletes there really isn't even a comparison. In the UFC/Boxing for instance you are mandatorily suspended for a knock out or TKO for 45 days with no contact at all for 30, this can also be applied if the fight physician deems to much head trauma occurred in a fight. Also to come back you must have a CT scan and it's compared to the baseline information they keep on every fighter from before every fight. A neurologist reviews the scans and decides if you have returned to pre fight condition and if not your suspension can be expanded for another 45 days.

Could you imagine Tom Brady getting knocked out and the NFL saying he is automatically out a quarter of the year with a chance it could become half? No, because they wouldn't make hard and fast rules like that because it's bad for their business.
Reply/Quote
I'd like to see the whiners here tell Ryan Shazier that football today is "pussified".
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 10:03 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: You don't need a top ten. You only need 1. The possibility of changing a L to a W. Drop the sippy cup and get off the high chair. This is what it's all about. Hope, chance, last ditch effort. Change the game, be a man and win. Take that away? Let's just watch fishing with Grampohol (no offense Gramps).

Yeah, if Fred gets no excitement from Kickoff who knows what gets him excited lol

Don't want to know. Mellow

(05-04-2018, 10:39 PM)mallorian69 Wrote: How bout don't kick the ball to Dante Hall aka the human joystick.

Yeah, that dude was great as well on the Chiefs.

Returners are fun to watch, too bad the NFL is trying to get rid of them.

Was hoping to see Wilson or Phillips be that jaw dropping Returner for us but who knows if that will happen now.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2018, 02:07 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, if Fred gets no excitement from Kickoff who knows what gets him excited lol

Plump chicks in overalls with lobster toe?  Hilarious

[Image: e7c61f2fc881ec11a40d5ea76cd5da97.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Yeah, football is becoming more and more of a joke. But it still has a long way to go before they're wearing flags on their hips.

They're gladiators. They get money and fame in return for a shorter life. These are the guys that got free college, took classes that you can't fail, then exit not knowing which direction the sun sets or rises. Some believe that the Earth is flat and that mermaids exist or that dinosaurs didn't. Granted they're not all idiots like that, but enough are. Or in other words, what would a lot of these guys be doing if not for football? Flipping burgers? In prison?

Even with changes and alterations to the rules, you're only lowering the concussion cases by a small percentage. You can't make a real dent in it unless you removed tackling. I mean how many times do you see a guy get concussed by the ground, or by his own teammate trying to assist on a tackle? Every game almost. At some point you have to realize that regardless, people are going to get CTE from Football. Changing it from nine out of ten to eight, or even seven out of ten winding up with CTE, doesn't really cut it. That's still hundreds of players a year.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2018, 03:56 PM)Older Than You Too Wrote: Yeah, football is becoming more and more of a joke. But it still has a long way to go before they're wearing flags on their hips.

They're gladiators. They get money and fame in return for a shorter life. It's not like we're losing our best and brightest here. These are the guys that got free college, took classes that you can't fail, then exit not knowing which direction the sun sets or rises. Some believe that the Earth is flat and that mermaids exist or that dinosaurs didn't. Granted they're not all idiots like that, but enough are. Or in other words, what would a lot of these guys be doing if not for football? Flipping burgers? In prison?

Been through this a ton of times. As an employer the NFL has a duty to make their work environment as safe as possible. They can't just say we pay you a lot so good luck. If it is feasible they must work to improve the safety of it's employees or face the eventual lawsuits that any employer would face who refused to protect their employees. 
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2018, 04:05 PM)Au165 Wrote: Been through this a ton of times. As an employer the NFL has a duty to make their work environment as safe as possible. They can't just say we pay you a lot so good luck. If it is feasible they must work to improve the safety of it's employees or face the eventual lawsuits that any employer would face who refused to protect their employees. 

Of course, but that's the owners, I'm talking from my perspective as a fan. At some point, I just want my bread and circuses.
Reply/Quote
I guess, I will go back to my original question, does this remove the on side kick? Nobody can move til the ball is kicked...
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2018, 03:23 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Plump chicks in overalls with lobster toe?  Hilarious

[Image: e7c61f2fc881ec11a40d5ea76cd5da97.jpg]

Hit!  She's cute, close to 30 years younger than me, and we can work that weight off of her...  Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2018, 04:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hit!  She's cute, close to 30 years younger than me, and we can work that weight off of her...  Ninja

What size is that wrench? Hilarious
Reply/Quote