Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Props to the old guys
(01-05-2021, 02:11 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'm only a couple years older, but I started playing football at age 7, so I was a little more into football at an earlier age than most. I have vague recollection of the first SB, but I remember 88 rather vividly.

As for the 90s, not only were the ladies more interesting, but most of the games were blacked out anyway. LOL

Im 55 now (born and raised in Los Angeles) and I got the Bengals Virus around age 9 (lets call it "BENVID 74") as I watched  them and them and their "WEBB"(Wilson, Edwards, Browner and Burley)  D line beat the mighty Steelers in the snow. Being a LB in pee wee football I was enamored with the team from that point on....and then on top of that figuring out a Bengal was at Tiger ...LOL  how cool was that?!  I used to ride my bike to the news stand every week to pick up a  "newspaper" (some of us recall these right?) so I could look up the player moves under the tiny "transaction" sections on the very back ...then I discovered the draft and I was all in!   I've  gone through all the temper tantrums imaginable through the the yrs and my mom used be really worried about how pissed I would get! and now after all these yrs have managed to have settled onto a "Pink Floyd comfortably numb "mode now....I try to not let it get to me as wife and kids and other more important matters at play as an adult. Yrs ago (late 90s) I ran into a Bengals fan out here in Los Angeles (where I grew up) at a sports bar....we were the no only 2 guys there watching this pitiful team on the smallest TV in the place in the corner of the bar . Well we are good friends now and have spent many days watching this team and you know the guy was on blood pressure meds and would take them during the game ...as he cursed at the TV. Its like I tell him, being a Bengals fan is like a bad drug habit...dont let it kill you.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 02:39 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Im 55 now (born and raised in Los Angeles) and I got the Bengals Virus around age 9 (lets call it "BENVID 74") as I watched  them and them and their "WEBB"(Wilson, Edwards, Browner and Burley)  D line beat the mighty Steelers in the snow. Being a LB in pee wee football I was enamored with the team from that point on....and then on top of that figuring out a Bengal was at Tiger ...LOL  how cool was that?!  I used to ride my bike to the news stand every week to pick up a  "newspaper" (some of us recall these right?) so I could look up the player moves under the tiny "transaction" sections on the very back ...then I discovered the draft and I was all in!   I've  gone through all the temper tantrums imaginable through the the yrs and my mom used be really worried about how pissed I would get! and now after all these yrs have managed to have settled onto a "Pink Floyd comfortably numb "mode now....I try to not let it get to me as wife and kids and other more important matters at play as an adult. Yrs ago (late 90s) I ran into a Bengals fan out here in Los Angeles (where I grew up) at a sports bar....we were the no only 2 guys there watching this pitiful team on the smallest TV in the place in the corner of the bar . Well we are good friends now and have spent many days watching this team and you know the guy was on blood pressure meds and would take them during the game ...as he cursed at the TV. Its like I tell him, being a Bengals fan is like a bad drug habit...dont let it kill you.

I hear you on the comfortably numb part...
I've finally gotten there myself. It started with the 2016 season. I still watch them, and follow, but I don't get too worked up about it. I must admit, I got a little fired up during the Stooler game. First time in a few years I've left my seat...lol.

That's an awesome story, BTW.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 10:17 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: I would like to just give some props to you older guys on this board. I am 43 and been a fan since the late 80s. I remember the 90s but in high school girls were way more interesting than Bengals football at the time even though I still cheered for them. I started watching pretty close the year before we drafted Levi Jones. Man I was pissed when they drafted him. I have zero clue how some of you have followed this team religiously for some of you since the late 60s and 70s. Props to you all because I am tired boys. Just plain tired and out of hope.

I think it's easier to stay a Bengals fan if you're in the local market for games.
You get the games for free on TV regardless of record, so it's all you're going to see week after week.

If you're out of market (like myself), the likelihood of seeing the Bengals when they aren't good greatly diminishes.
The worse they are, the fewer primetime games get televised. If the local team isn't playing the same time as the Bengals, the Bengals still likely won't get televised locally unless they are winning.
So you either have to pay (much) more money just to watch them or you basically hardly ever get to see them. Becomes more difficult keeping up with them.

I think that when you're out of market, it makes it easier and more logical to switch teams or pick a team (or teams) to root for when the Bengals are bad. Personally, I was born and raised in Cincy, which is why I'm a Bengals fan. I wouldn't have chosen them as my team if I wasn't. 
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 03:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think it's easier to stay a Bengals fan if you're in the local market for games.
You get the games for free on TV regardless of record, so it's all you're going to see week after week.

If you're out of market (like myself), the likelihood of seeing the Bengals when they aren't good greatly diminishes.
The worse they are, the fewer primetime games get televised. If the local team isn't playing the same time as the Bengals, the Bengals still likely won't get televised locally unless they are winning.
So you either have to pay (much) more money just to watch them or you basically hardly ever get to see them. Becomes more difficult keeping up with them.

I think that when you're out of market, it makes it easier and more logical to switch teams or pick a team (or teams) to root for when the Bengals are bad. Personally, I was born and raised in Cincy, which is why I'm a Bengals fan. I wouldn't have chosen them as my team if I wasn't. 
In Toledo we dont get a lot of Bengals games here either. Its always the Lions and Browns so I am not even sure what real football is. Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 10:17 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: I would like to just give some props to you older guys on this board. I am 43 and been a fan since the late 80s. I remember the 90s but in high school girls were way more interesting than Bengals football at the time even though I still cheered for them. I started watching pretty close the year before we drafted Levi Jones. Man I was pissed when they drafted him. I have zero clue how some of you have followed this team religiously for some of you since the late 60s and 70s. Props to you all because I am tired boys. Just plain tired and out of hope.

I am 38 so not an old guy really. I have to echo your sentiment to the Bengal fans that have been around forever. I became a
fan when I was 7 years old when we played the 49ers and Montana the second time. Been a rough go ever since. Have to say 
though that with Burrow I still have hope even with Taylor and company. He is THAT good, Burrow.

If we protect him and the D improves big time we still have a shot even with Taylor and company.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 02:11 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I'm only a couple years older, but I started playing football at age 7, so I was a little more into football at an earlier age than most. I have vague recollection of the first SB, but I remember 88 rather vividly.

As for the 90s, not only were the ladies more interesting, but most of the games were blacked out anyway. LOL

I lived in Columbus during the 90s... The only reason I got to see any Bengals games was because the Browns went bye bye for a while.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 07:16 PM)jason Wrote: I lived in Columbus during the 90s... The only reason I got to see any Bengals games was because the Browns went bye bye for a while.

Man....between that and the lost decade, you really didn't see much professional football.

Little fun story, when I was in college, a professor asked to see who all were professional football fans with a show of hands. I left my hand down. He was also my advisor, so he knew I played thru high school, and watched a lot of football. He said "I thought you were a big fan Mr. *****..." I quipped back, "Hell no, I'm a Bengals fan!" The whole class laughs....and he's like "hard to argue with that!"

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 07:42 PM)Wyche Wrote: Man....between that and the lost decade, you really didn't see much professional football.

Little fun story, when I was in college, a professor asked to see who all were professional football fans with a show of hands. I left my hand down. He was also my advisor, so he knew I played thru high school, and watched a lot of football. He said "I thought you were a big fan Mr. *****..." I quipped back, "Hell no, I'm a Bengals fan!" The whole class laughs....and he's like "hard to argue with that!"

[Image: lhagUI.gif]

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 07:42 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Man....between that and the lost decade, you really didn't see much professional football.

I mean it's funny, but it's basically true. Watch one of our games this season, then watch Green Bay play Arizona or something. It doesn't even look like we belong in the same league. In our defense... I do believe I watched the worst NFL game I've ever seen this year, and it didn't involve the Bengals. Dallas vs Philly was brutal.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 07:50 PM)jason Wrote: I mean it's funny, but it's basically true. Watch one of our games this season, then watch Green Bay play Arizona or something. It doesn't even look like we belong in the same league. In our defense... I do believe I watched the worst NFL game I've ever seen this year, and it didn't involve the Bengals. Dallas vs Philly was brutal.

I watched part of that one myself, didn't take long to change the channel.

Yeah, we aren't much to watch either, but the 90s and early 00s were unbearable when you could actually watch.

Reply/Quote

As a resident "old guy" of 52 years (same age as the Bengals), I can tell you that I have never been more excited about a QB than I am with Burrow.  I can't believe the stuff he was doing in his rookie season.  Fine, he was 23 years old, but still.  He alone gives me hope that anything can happen.  If they protect him better and surround him with a couple more weapons, it could be really fun. 

The defense has a ways to go, but I am optimistic that returning injured guys, maybe a FA, and a solid draft will put them at least close to mid-pack.  

Combine a mid-pack defense with a lethal offense and you have the Cincinnati version of the Packers.  I would take that.  

Hope you can find some positives to look forward to...It is so much more fun than dwelling on the negatives.  
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 08:52 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: As a resident "old guy" of 52 years (same age as the Bengals), I can tell you that I have never been more excited about a QB than I am with Burrow.  I can't believe the stuff he was doing in his rookie season.  Fine, he was 23 years old, but still.  He alone gives me hope that anything can happen.  If they protect him better and surround him with a couple more weapons, it could be really fun. 

The defense has a ways to go, but I am optimistic that returning injured guys, maybe a FA, and a solid draft will put them at least close to mid-pack.  

Combine a mid-pack defense with a lethal offense and you have the Cincinnati version of the Packers.  I would take that.  

Hope you can find some positives to look forward to...It is so much more fun than dwelling on the negatives.  

If they actually do what they say, and shore up the offensive line in FA, and draft a WR like Chase, an Edge Rusher, this team could be scary good. Burrow will be in his 2nd year, with actually some time to throw. Plus, a better Oline means the RB's should be able to eat on the ground. If we get Reader and Waynes back the defense will be much better than the defense with Bledsoe and Sims. 
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2021, 10:11 AM)Sled21 Wrote: If they actually do what they say, and shore up the offensive line in FA, and draft a WR like Chase, an Edge Rusher, this team could be scary good. Burrow will be in his 2nd year, with actually some time to throw. Plus, a better Oline means the RB's should be able to eat on the ground. If we get Reader and Waynes back the defense will be much better than the defense with Bledsoe and Sims. 

having tools and knowing how to use them arent the same thing.
Reply/Quote
I guess one positive is that during the '90s you didn't have to watch every defeat. There were many local blackouts.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2021, 10:26 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I guess one positive is that during the '90s you didn't have to watch every defeat. There were many local blackouts.

Ok, that was funny.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 08:52 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: As a resident "old guy" of 52 years (same age as the Bengals), I can tell you that I have never been more excited about a QB than I am with Burrow.  I can't believe the stuff he was doing in his rookie season.  Fine, he was 23 years old, but still.  He alone gives me hope that anything can happen.  If they protect him better and surround him with a couple more weapons, it could be really fun. 

I became a fan in 2005. I was young, had just turned 12 and didn't know much about football. I was aware that Cincinnati was good, but I didn't know much about the up-and-comers on the team. What was the excitement like around Palmer? I have to imagine it was similar to Burrow this year. He blew up that year and the offense was high-flying. 
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2021, 11:27 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: What was the excitement like around Palmer? I have to imagine it was similar to Burrow this year. He blew up that year and the offense was high-flying. 

Palmer, Chad, and Marvin brought excitement back to the city and Bengals fandom. Having suffered through the '90s, the thing that jumped out at me as being cool was that if you went out in public to malls, grocery stores, restaurants, or wherever you actually noticed people wearing Palmer & Johnson jerseys or other Bengals gear. Palmer throwing to Chad, Housh, and Henry was fun and it made being a Bengals fan fun again for the first time since the late '80s.

Of course, the Bungles curse kicked in and Palmer got Kimo Von Oelhoffen'ed.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2021, 10:26 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I guess one positive is that during the '90s you didn't have to watch every defeat. There were many local blackouts.

I don't remember anyone ever coming to my house and twisting my arm to make me watch them at any time...... Smirk
Some of you act like you're so miserable being a fan and you're being forced at gunpoint. If you don't want to follow the team, don't. It's really pretty simple.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2021, 01:30 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't remember anyone ever coming to my house and twisting my arm to make me watch them at any time...... Smirk
Some of you act like you're so miserable being a fan and you're being forced at gunpoint. If you don't want to follow the team, don't. It's really pretty simple.

I was raised with the Bengals as my home town team.  I can't quit them if I wanted to.  I have lived in Denver where they have a well respected organization and I lived in Nashville and attended a Titans game the year they went to the Super Bowl.  But I could never adopt one of those teams over the Bengals.

It is like saying "No one is forcing you to be emotionally invested in your family."  Even when you write a family member out of your life because they are a loser it still hurts.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2021, 11:34 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Palmer, Chad, and Marvin brought excitement back to the city and Bengals fandom. Having suffered through the '90s, the thing that jumped out at me as being cool was that if you went out in public to malls, grocery stores, restaurants, or wherever you actually noticed people wearing Palmer & Johnson jerseys or other Bengals gear. Palmer throwing to Chad, Housh, and Henry was fun and it made being a Bengals fan fun again for the first time since the late '80s.

Of course, the Bungles curse kicked in and Palmer got Kimo Von Oelhoffen'ed.

Why oh why do Bengals fans themselves say Bungles.  It’s literally like the C word to a female.  

I don’t understand.  
Reply/Quote