Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pump The Brakes
(12-07-2021, 07:50 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: My bad. 30.5.  

Do I hear 31?
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 07:51 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Do I hear 31?

I want to believe it ends this year, but then I witness a game like Sunday's and I'm forced to temper my expectations a bit.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Playoffs were nowhere in my thoughts this year. Just looked at it as a year for the young guys to get better v
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 07:51 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Do I hear 31?

Still a lazy take... none of the coaches or players were here for all of those 31 years.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2021, 01:14 AM)Tomkat Wrote: Still a lazy take... none of the coaches or players were here for all of those 31 years.

MANY coaches and players have changed in 31 years!  The ONLY constant . .  MB.

You want to hang your hat on THESE coaches and players just like we did in 2005 and 2015?

That's your preference.  

For me, I'll wait until the game clock in February reaches 00:00, with the Bengals ahead by at least one point, and no yellow flags on the field!

THEN AND ONLY THEN will history rewrite itself with this franchise!  Wink
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 07:59 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: I want to believe it ends this year, but then I witness a game like Sunday's and I'm forced to temper my expectations a bit.  

You were in both gameday threads with the Browns and Chargers.  Did you give your opinion there to the ones calling this team the Bungles over 20 times in each thread?????
Reply/Quote
Just a friendly reminder to keep posts aimed at the topic of the thread, and not aimed at individual posters for their differences in opinion or fanhood style.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2021, 01:29 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Just a friendly reminder to keep posts aimed at the topic of the thread, and not aimed at individual posters for their differences in opinion or fanhood style.

THIS!  But just know this SB, I will stand for my position when I express it and it's attacked, hoping for no 'double standards'!
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2021, 01:15 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: MANY coaches and players have changed in 31 years!  The ONLY constant . .  MB.

You want to hang your hat on THESE coaches and players just like we did in 2005 and 2015?

That's your preference.  

For me, I'll wait until the game clock in February reaches 00:00, with the Bengals ahead by at least one point, and no yellow flags on the field!

THEN AND ONLY THEN will history rewrite itself with this franchise!  Wink

I prefer not to "hang my hat" on ANYTHING.  All I can do is root for the current team and season.
I have no control over the coaches or players, nor does the Bengals "franchise history" have any bearing on my self-worth or life, unlike some other "fans" that I know of.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2021, 01:33 PM)Tomkat Wrote: I prefer not to "hang my hat" on ANYTHING.  All I can do is root for the current team and season.
I have no control over the coaches or players, nor does the Bengals "franchise history" have any bearing on my self-worth or life, unlike some other "fans" that I know of.

Football, for me, believe it or not, is a little further down on my priority list than most might think.

This sport and franchise can do nothing for me but provide entertainment.

That's all it will ever be, just like this forum is for me . . entertainment! 
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2021, 01:15 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: You want to hang your hat on THESE coaches and players just like we did in 2005 and 2015?

*MY RESPONSE TO THIS DIRECTLY-ADDRESSED QUESTION WAS DELETED*

(12-08-2021, 01:29 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Just a friendly reminder to keep posts aimed at the topic of the thread, and not aimed at individual posters for their differences in opinion or fanhood style.

Ummmm. so someone can make a direct statement towards ME ("YOU want to hang your hat..." etc)
but I'm not allowed to reply, in kind?  Wow, ok... got it.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2021, 01:37 PM)Tomkat Wrote: *MY RESPONSE TO THIS DIRECTLY-ADDRESSED QUESTION WAS DELETED*

Ummmm. so someone can make a direct statement towards ME ("YOU want to hang your hat..." etc)
but I'm not allowed to reply, in kind?  Wow, ok... got it.

You want to hang your hat on THESE coaches and players just like WE did in 2005 and 2015?

I'm not an English major but I believe we is a first person plural pronoun . . meaning myself included!  Wink
Reply/Quote
So, I'll get back to the more important things in my life, now that I've made my cameo!
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2021, 01:37 PM)Tomkat Wrote: but I'm not allowed to reply, in kind?  Wow, ok... got it.

Which is why I simply issued a friendly reminder to ALL the participants of this thread, in general.  While little jabs at one another are small and petty in nature, they do tend to add up and often lead to more heated exchanges.  I want everyone to just calm down, remember that we're all pulling for the same team, and just try to get along despite personal differences of opinion.  Hell, ignore one another if you can't communicate in a more civil fashion.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2021, 02:06 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Which is why I simply issued a friendly reminder to ALL the participants of this thread, in general.  While little jabs at one another are small and petty in nature, they do tend to add up and often lead to more heated exchanges.  I want everyone to just calm down, remember that we're all pulling for the same team, and just try to get along despite personal differences of opinion.  Hell, ignore one another if you can't communicate in a more civil fashion.

That's fine. My post being deleted just caught me off guard because it was a response to a post that was directly addressed to me.
It's not like I just responded out of the blue.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 07:26 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: 30 years should be long enough.

Do we even have that many 30 year olds?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 03:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The claim that the rebuild did not start until last year is BS.  In 2018 our defense was DEAD LAST in yards allowed and we fired our head coach.  Why the hell would they not start rebuilding in 2019?

I now Taylor had to rebuild the roster.  But three years is plenty.  That is pretty much what any other NFL team would say.

Ok, so he's in his 3rd year, with a 2nd year QB coming off a devastating injury. We are currently 7-5, one game out of 1st in the Division. 3-1 in the division with a sweep of the Stealers and a probably sweep of the Ravens coming up. This whole conversation surrounding Taylor reminds me we live in a day where people want things immediately and can't see progress because they're temper tantruming they aren't getting what they want right now. It would be comical if it wasn't so sad.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2021, 04:17 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Ok, so he's in his 3rd year, with a 2nd year QB coming off a devastating injury. We are currently 7-5, one game out of 1st in the Division. 3-1 in the division with a sweep of the Stealers and a probably sweep of the Ravens coming up. This whole conversation surrounding Taylor reminds me we live in a day where people want things immediately and can't see progress because they're temper tantruming they aren't getting what they want right now. It would be comical if it wasn't so sad.

It has nothing to do with immediate gratification.  It has to do with seeing other NFL teams re-build in 2-3 years.  Many free agent contracts are 3 years or less.  If you can't re-build a team that quickly then you end up being in "constant" rebuild mode.

The only thing that would be comical if it wasn't sad is the amount of people willing to give Zac another year if this year falls apart.

Personally I think we have a good shot at a winning record and making the playoffs this year.  If that happens then the argument will be moot.  Let's hope that is what happens.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2021, 04:17 PM)Sled21 Wrote: ...with a 2nd year QB coming off a devastating injury...

Let's not forget that in terms of number of games played, Burrow just recently finished his first year.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2021, 01:22 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: You were in both gameday threads with the Browns and Chargers.  Did you give your opinion there to the ones calling this team the Bungles over 20 times in each thread?????

No, I was at the Chargers game and not in the gameday thread.  And, I have no clue what this response has to do with my comment about tempering my expectations, which is what you were replying to. 

I have stated on both this board and (more so) back on the mothership that I find the B-word reprehensible. I explained then, and even just yesterday (it may have even been to you), why I feel that way.  But that fell on deaf ears and the usage continued, so I stopped haranguing people about that. 

I'll be at the 49ers game Sunday and not in the gameday thread, so if you want to take up the mantle and tilt at that particular windmill, please be my guest.   
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote