Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pump The Brakes
(12-08-2021, 06:10 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: No, I was at the Chargers game and not in the gameday thread.  And, I have no clue what this response has to do with my comment about tempering my expectations, which is what you were replying to. 

I have stated on both this board and (more so) back on the mothership that I find the B-word reprehensible. I explained then, and even just yesterday (it may have even been to you), why I feel that way.  But that fell on deaf ears and the usage continued, so I stopped haranguing people about that. 

I'll be at the 49ers game Sunday and not in the gameday thread, so if you want to take up the mantle and tilt at that particular windmill, please be my guest.   

I saw your posts in BOTH Browns and Chargers game day threads!  Would you like me to paste them here to prove your forgetfulness?

Dance around it if you'd like, but you called me out for using it, I responded and called you out, making reference to the 20+ times it was used in the Browns game day thread and got suspended for calling you out in response.  

Just calling out the double standards that's all AL.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2021, 02:49 PM)jason Wrote: Do we even have that many 30 year olds?

Cool
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2021, 02:12 PM)Tomkat Wrote: . . . it was a response to a post that was directly addressed to me.
It's not like I just responded out of the blue.

Quote:You want to hang your hat on THESE coaches and players just like we did in 2005 and 2015?

Again, not true.  It was a response to you about us!  Wink
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2021, 01:15 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: You want to hang your hat on THESE coaches and players just like we did in 2005 and 2015?

Ummmm, that's literally asking ME the direct question - "do I want to hang my hat..." etc.
There's no need to go back-and-forth over this.  Just know that when you use the word "you" and the sentence ends with "?"
that means you're expecting an answer/reply. 
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2021, 10:36 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I saw your posts in BOTH Browns and Chargers game day threads!  Would you like me to paste them here to prove your forgetfulness?

Dance around it if you'd like, but you called me out for using it, I responded and called you out, making reference to the 20+ times it was used in the Browns game day thread and got suspended for calling you out in response.  

Just calling out the double standards that's all AL.

As I said before, I admitted I was in the Browns gameday thread, but when you kept insisting I was in the Charger gameday thread, I went back to see what was posted since I was at the game and I knew I wasn't posting during the game.  You were right, I did post, at 8:43 Sunday morning.  It's post #4, and for the record, no one had used the B-word by that point:

Quote:Glad to see there will be no rain today, sitting in that is miserable.

Everyone have a good day and enjoy the game.

Your second point says I called you out for using the B-word.  I didn't recall scolding you or anyone else, but I know we did have a discussion about that.  The first instance of me referring to that occurred in the "Will the real Bengals please stand up" thread.  In your post #69, you told Sunset that you thought using the B-word was punishable in the CoC, to which I replied:

Quote:You can use it as a verb, just not as a proper noun.  

Maybe this is where I made a mistake.  See, there is nothing in the Coc about using it as a verb as opposed to a proper noun.  That was just a little joke on my part.  Maybe I should have inserted a  Smirk or something.  Anyway, as I'm now learning, this is where you believe I "scolded" you for use of that word.

Anyway, in your post #72 you then ask if members were "scolded" for 20+posts using the b-word in the Chargers gameday thread.  Now, at this point, I missed your inference to me not scolding people for using it, and further I was not aware that you believe I was scolding you.  To the contrary, I thought we were just having a convo about people using that word in general, so I expounded a bit on why I feel that way I do about the usage of that word:

Quote:Mine is but a mere suggestion and not legally binding.

I won't use that word because it was the parlance of that idiot Stealer announcer Myron Cope, who looked like a weasel and sounded like a shrill Grandpa Munster.  No true Bengal fan would ever use that term, to my way of thinking.  Others clearly disagree.

So, please allow me to clear up a few things. 

1) I will not personally scold you or anyone else for using that word.  If in fact, if you used that word, I was not aware at the time that you did.  I used to care about that many years ago, but people kept using it and I just gave up.  The closest I'll come to admonishing anyone is what I said in my quote directly above.  But, I won't even do that going forward since this will be my last post on the topic.  So, bottom line, you or anyone else can use it all you want but I won't call you or anyone else out personally in a thread.  

2) In my reply "You can use it as a verb, just not as a proper noun," it was certainly not my intent to scold you, as I explained above.  However, since that might not have been entirely clear, I apologize.  

Hopefully my explanation above has cleared up any miscommunication between you and you'll accept my sincere apology for said miscommunication and no further discourse will be necessary.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
It's just a word... It's really not that big of a deal.. Reminds me of Beavis and Butthead everytime I hear it... Lol .. Shutup, Bunghole!
Reply/Quote
I guess is depends on what you consider a rebuild. A majority of the rebuild was done when they drafted Burrow, Higgins and Chase. We only need to fill in a few holes and this team is ready to compete. Hell, they are competing with the elites this year already (Green Bay, Balitmore etc.)
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 04:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I know every team has injuries, but we got killed by multiple injuries in three crucial areas, DT, DB, O-line.  We lost our top 3 DTs.  Every single one of our top three CBs missed multiple game.  We started 11 different guys on our O-line in something like ten different combinations.  

As much as I rip on Taylor I realize no coach would have had much success with these problems.  Good teams have better guys at #2, but we were playing third string guys and no one in the league has good players that deep on the roster.

Plus, we were extremely weak in the trenches. No HC, not even Belichick can win many games with terrible play in the trenches.

We need Reiff and Hopkins back and we will be right back in the thick of it. Thankfully the Steelers beat the Ravens to help us out a
bit. I couldn't root for the Steelers to win but after we lost, it helped us, have to admit. We just need to get healthy on the OL. Our 
DL dang near got us a win against the Chargers before the Mixon fumble. They were imposing their will, too bad it didn't matter 
after the Defensive TD and the following 2 series.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2021, 11:09 AM)Tomkat Wrote: Ummmm, that's literally asking ME the direct question - "do I want to hang my hat..." etc.
There's no need to go back-and-forth over this.  Just know that when you use the word "you" and the sentence ends with "?"
that means you're expecting an answer/reply. 

Yes there is a reason because I ALSO used we, which means EVERYONE including myself that thought those seasonal teams were the ones to turn it around and win a playoff game!

Did you fail grammar in grade school?
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2021, 11:50 AM)Awful Llama Wrote: As I said before, I admitted I was in the Browns gameday thread, but when you kept insisting I was in the Charger gameday thread, I went back to see what was posted since I was at the game and I knew I wasn't posting during the game.  You were right, I did post, at 8:43 Sunday morning.  It's post #4, and for the record, no one had used the B-word by that point:

Your second point says I called you out for using the B-word.  I didn't recall scolding you or anyone else, but I know we did have a discussion about that.  The first instance of me referring to that occurred in the "Will the real Bengals please stand up" thread.  In your post #69, you told Sunset that you thought using the B-word was punishable in the CoC, to which I replied:

Maybe this is where I made a mistake.  See, there is nothing in the Coc about using it as a verb as opposed to a proper noun.  That was just a little joke on my part.  Maybe I should have inserted a  Smirk or something.  Anyway, as I'm now learning, this is where you believe I "scolded" you for use of that word.

Anyway, in your post #72 you then ask if members were "scolded" for 20+posts using the b-word in the Chargers gameday thread.  Now, at this point, I missed your inference to me not scolding people for using it, and further I was not aware that you believe I was scolding you.  To the contrary, I thought we were just having a convo about people using that word in general, so I expounded a bit on why I feel that way I do about the usage of that word:

So, please allow me to clear up a few things. 

1) I will not personally scold you or anyone else for using that word.  If in fact, if you used that word, I was not aware at the time that you did.  I used to care about that many years ago, but people kept using it and I just gave up.  The closest I'll come to admonishing anyone is what I said in my quote directly above.  But, I won't even do that going forward since this will be my last post on the topic.  So, bottom line, you or anyone else can use it all you want but I won't call you or anyone else out personally in a thread.  

2) In my reply "You can use it as a verb, just not as a proper noun," it was certainly not my intent to scold you, as I explained above.  However, since that might not have been entirely clear, I apologize.  

Hopefully my explanation above has cleared up any miscommunication between you and you'll accept my sincere apology for said miscommunication and no further discourse will be necessary.

You are again way off point.

Here's what happened.

AFTER the Browns game, I made the statement, 'I was hoping the groundskeeper kept the Bungles locked up in the PBS basement to keep them off the field, but apparently, he forgot to secure that lock!'

Which you responded, paraphrasing, "True fans don't use that word in here!'

I went to Browns game day thread, searched Bungles and found 20+ posts IN the thread and also saw your posts as well.

I started a thread asking if all these members were also not a true fan, because I didn't see you call anyone out for using it.

THAT'S when I got suspended.

Capiche?
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2021, 12:05 PM)Tony Wrote: It's just a word... It's really not that big of a deal.. Reminds me of Beavis and Butthead everytime I hear it... Lol .. Shutup, Bunghole!

Thank you Tony! ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 04:00 PM)Tomkat Wrote: But wasn't 2020 pretty much a "throw-away" year with Covid and then Burrow's knee injury?

It became a throwaway year when the Bengals kept trotting out their franchise QB behind the league’s worst line and throwing it 35 times a game. The Front Office wasted 2020.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2021, 10:50 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: It became a throwaway year when the Bengals kept trotting out their franchise QB behind the league’s worst line and throwing it 35 times a game. The Front Office wasted 2020.

2020 was a repeat of 2019 with a different quarterback.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I have several problems with this article, but the biggest are these:

1. His primary evidence that we're destined to miss the playoffs is SOS...but this needs some context. The toughest team left of our schedule is probably the Ravens, who we pounded in their building. None of these teams are world beaters. Most of them have a worse record than we do...and we face the majority of them at home.

So I think way too much is being made over the SOS.

2. This part:

"But their inconsistencies – whether along the offensive line, from the quarterback, a rookie wide receiver or the defense – were predictable. A symptom of a team in transition learning how to be winners."

The entire AFC has been inconsistent. Especially the teams left on our supposedly daunting schedule. Yet he's impressed with them and our inconsistency is a "symptom of a team learning how to be winners"?

I think this take is a symptom of pulling-narratives-out-of-your-butt-itis.

We might have inconsistencies and various struggles (as do many teams this year), but it has nothing to do with not knowing how to win.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 03:54 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I’m with Fred on this.  Marvin Lewis went 11-5 in his third season while Carson Palmer was in his second season.  Don’t forget the Bengals drafted Carson in 2003 but he sat behind Jon Kitna his entire rookie year.  Did that make Carson more successful in 2004 and 2005?  Oh yes it did!

Agree and it also helped having a veteran QB mind to mentor him and had to be beneficial as well. 

Wouldn't mind signing Dalton next year as a mentor to Burrow.

Or another seasoned vet

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2021, 03:54 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I’m with Fred on this.  Marvin Lewis went 11-5 in his third season while Carson Palmer was in his second season.  Don’t forget the Bengals drafted Carson in 2003 but he sat behind Jon Kitna his entire rookie year.  Did that make Carson more successful in 2004 and 2005?  Oh yes it did!

Having rookie QBs sit and be mentored for at least a year used to be the norm.

Even Brady was sitting behind Bledsoe until he got hurt.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2021, 11:59 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree and it also helped having a veteran QB mind to mentor him and had to be beneficial as well. 

Or another seasoned vet

You think Dalton would wanna come back and play for Taylor again? I don't. Time heals all, but quite frankly the fans were never all that great to him, and Zac handled the situation with Andy about as poorly as it could've been handled.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2021, 12:20 AM)jason Wrote: You think Dalton would wanna come back and play for Taylor again? I don't. Time heals all, but quite frankly the fans were never all that great to him, and Zac handled the situation with Andy about as poorly as it could've been handled.

Very doubtful but not ruling out

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2021, 11:59 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree and it also helped having a veteran QB mind to mentor him and had to be beneficial as well. 

Or another seasoned vet

Hell no... I never wanna see the red BB gun in a Bengals uniform again. Burrow doesn't need him, He's already better than Andy ever was..
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2021, 02:07 PM)Tony Wrote: Hell no... I never wanna see the red BB gun in a Bengals uniform again. Burrow doesn't need him, He's already better than Andy ever was..

Um, no. Joe Burrow has the potential to become an elite NFL quarterback and we’ve all seen bursts of spectacular play from him. Burrow’s ceiling is the highest we’ve seen since Ken Anderson but he hasn’t reached it yet.

However — and we must be honest — Burrow is not yet where Andy Dalton was at his absolute peak. Sometimes we forget Dalton’s best was extremely impressive; memories are short I know. What I remember were games where Dalton ran off the field to chants of, “MVP!”

Both Burrow and Dalton have had interception issues as well. Joe needs to fix this before he can realize his potential.

Andy Dalton was never going to be elite and even he knew it. Comparing him to Joe Burrow is ludicrous. However, we sometimes forget Dalton went 52-27-1 from 2011-2015. That’s pretty sick. I hope Joe Burrow can go on a run like that too.

Joe Burrow does need mentoring and having an experienced backup quarterback on the roster might be a smart idea. It doesn’t have to be Andy Dalton.
Reply/Quote