Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pump The Brakes
Meh. Tired of this timeless refrain. This group has enough experience to win. And in today’s NFL, a team’s window starts when it gets a quality QB under a rookie deal, which gives the franchise enough time to strengthen the weaker periphery via FA and by drafting other positions well. Once the team’s core outlives the rookie contracts and deservedly gets paid mega buxxxxxxx, the franchise can’t or won’t spend the money to improve the periphery around the core, and sometimes the team can’t even afford all the young guys and they walk (we may see that with Jessie Bates).

This window will close for us in 2-3 years. Burrow, Chase, Higgins, maybe Wilson, etc will be due their first non-rookie deal within 2-3 years of each other. Any payflex the Executive Of The Century and Best Woman at Financial Business Leadership and Bossy Behavior Katie Blackburn might previously have had goes bye bye.

This group could win if it had a better line, a better HC and one more quality interior pass-rusher. But we don’t, and we still have The Curious Case of Joseph Burrow simultaneously keeping us in games and putting us in inexplicable and oftentimes whimsical holes. And Drew Sample is always out there, on the field, providing us with the essence of big, white, clumsy and non-descript 2nd round value.

The AFC-N was there for the taking. That’s why this season is going to be even tougher to stomach in retrospect. Thing is, this is the Bengals, and this is what the Bengals do.

I’m still digesting that LA-C game and the majesty of our incompetence. We’re hungover and possibly half asleep in the beginning and go down 24-0 almost immediately. Then they miraculously start making some plays, allowed fortune to favor them slightly and fought back. They almost convinced us they were going to finish the incredible comeback. Then Paul Brown’s Ghost strips Joe Mixon and places it in a LA-C defender, who floats on a fluffy pink cloud into the EZ, and the game was over. Just to ensure there would be no comeback, TCCOJB floated a duck into LA’s defensive backfield that looked like a pagan offering up a pasta sacrifice to Benevolent Italian Overlord Mario Batali, who received it with satisfaction and promised to let us know where the rest of the tomatoes are.

It’s going to be fun tomorrow. SF is going to ritualistically dry hump these guys tomorrow, and we’ll likely see new and exciting acts of incompetence that will live forever with us in a place we will only reveal to our therapists when we pass 55.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2021, 02:29 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Um, no.  Joe Burrow has the potential to become an elite NFL quarterback and we’ve all seen bursts of spectacular play from him.  Burrow’s ceiling is the highest we’ve seen since Ken Anderson but he hasn’t reached it yet.

However — and we must be honest — Burrow is not yet where Andy Dalton was at his absolute peak.  Sometimes we forget Dalton’s best was extremely impressive; memories are short I know.  What I remember were games where Dalton ran off the field to chants of, “MVP!”

Both Burrow and Dalton have had interception issues as well.  Joe needs to fix this before he can realize his potential.

Andy Dalton was never going to be elite and even he knew it.  Comparing him to Joe Burrow is ludicrous.  However, we sometimes forget Dalton went 52-27-1 from 2011-2015. That’s pretty sick.  I hope Joe Burrow can go on a run like that too.

Joe Burrow does need mentoring and having an experienced backup quarterback on the roster might be a smart idea.  It doesn’t have to be Andy Dalton.

I seem to remember him getting boo'd at a softball game.. Burrow doesn't need Andy.. This is Burrows team and their is nothing Reds has to offer him. What's he gonna do? Teach him how to choke in big games?
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2021, 02:29 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Um, no.  Joe Burrow has the potential to become an elite NFL quarterback and we’ve all seen bursts of spectacular play from him.  Burrow’s ceiling is the highest we’ve seen since Ken Anderson but he hasn’t reached it yet.

However — and we must be honest — Burrow is not yet where Andy Dalton was at his absolute peak.  Sometimes we forget Dalton’s best was extremely impressive; memories are short I know.  What I remember were games where Dalton ran off the field to chants of, “MVP!”

Both Burrow and Dalton have had interception issues as well.  Joe needs to fix this before he can realize his potential.

Andy Dalton was never going to be elite and even he knew it.  Comparing him to Joe Burrow is ludicrous.  However, we sometimes forget Dalton went 52-27-1 from 2011-2015. That’s pretty sick.  I hope Joe Burrow can go on a run like that too.

Joe Burrow does need mentoring and having an experienced backup quarterback on the roster might be a smart idea.  It doesn’t have to be Andy Dalton.

A few things here:

1.  Carson Palmer had a ceiling higher than any QB we've seen other than Cook.

2 & 3 are confusing to me.  If Dalton was never going to be elite, then that means he was a solid QB.  Burrow is already there.  Sure he has some issues that he needs to fix, but there are some metrics that rate Burrow as the top QB in the NFL, Dalton was never in those discussions.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2021, 02:29 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Um, no. Joe Burrow has the potential to become an elite NFL quarterback and we’ve all seen bursts of spectacular play from him. Burrow’s ceiling is the highest we’ve seen since Ken Anderson but he hasn’t reached it yet.

However — and we must be honest — Burrow is not yet where Andy Dalton was at his absolute peak. Sometimes we forget Dalton’s best was extremely impressive; memories are short I know. What I remember were games where Dalton ran off the field to chants of, “MVP!”

Both Burrow and Dalton have had interception issues as well. Joe needs to fix this before he can realize his potential.

Andy Dalton was never going to be elite and even he knew it. Comparing him to Joe Burrow is ludicrous. However, we sometimes forget Dalton went 52-27-1 from 2011-2015. That’s pretty sick. I hope Joe Burrow can go on a run like that too.

Joe Burrow does need mentoring and having an experienced backup quarterback on the roster might be a smart idea. It doesn’t have to be Andy Dalton.

You'll get flamed for mentioning the red-head, but this is true.

2015 Dalton: 255-386-3250-25-7 (106.3 rating)
2021 Burrow: 259-379-3135-23-14 (98.3 rating)

Both played 12 games, with Dalton obviously only playing one drive of the last game. Dalton was just as electric that year, with half the picks.

Before people smash their keyboards in a fit of rage, yes Dalton was in year 5 while Burrow is in year 2. No, I wouldn't take Andy. Just saying that Burrow has a ways to go before he surpasses peak Dalton.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Andy Dalton had the ability to be elite.  He finished 2nd in passer rating in 2015.  From '12 through '17 Dalton had 19 games with a passer rating over 120.  Only 4 QBs had more (Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Wilson).

But Dalton was wildly inconsistent.  While he had more great games than most other QBs he also had more really bad ones.  Only 2 QBs had more games with a passer rating under 70 than Dalton's 23 over that same stretch from '12 through '17.

I was a huge fan of Dalton, and still defend him.  But it is clear why Burrow was selected #1 overall while Andy was a 2nd round pick.  Joe should be a significant step up from Dalton.
Reply/Quote