Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quebec mosque shooting: 'Lone wolf' kills 6
More on the shooter.

http://www.salon.com/2017/01/31/classmates-say-suspected-quebec-mosque-shooter-loved-trump_partner/

Quote:Quebec mosque shooter Alexandre Bissonnette’s classmates say he was a white nationalist who loved President Trump

Alexandre Bissonnette "really liked Trump and had a permanent grudge against the left"

[Image: canada_mosque_shooting_51905.jpg-620x412.jpg](Credit: Jacques Boissinot/The Canadian Press via AP)

The suspected shooter who carried out a massacre of Muslims praying at a mosque in Quebec, Canada, is a strong supporter of far-right U.S. President Donald Trump and a right-wing extremist, according to his former classmates, acquaintances, and social media accounts.

During evening prayers on Sunday, January 29, a gunman opened fire in the Quebec Islamic Cultural Center, killing six worshipers and injuring 19 more. Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau condemned the shooting as a “terrorist attack on Muslims.”

The suspected assailant, 27-year-old Alexandre Bissonnette, is a white Canadian who has expressed far-right, anti-Muslim, anti-immigrant, anti-feminist, and pro-Israel views.

“He really liked Trump and had a permanent grudge against the left,” explained Éric Debroise, who knew Bissonnette and contacted the police after the attack. (Quotes are original translations from French.)

The suspected shooter’s politics are “very right-wing and ultra-nationalist white supremacist,” Debroise told the local newspaper Le Journal de Quebec.

“He has right-wing, pro-Israel, anti-immigration political ideas,” Jean-Michel Allard-Pru, another classmate, said of Bissonnette, who was a student at Laval University.

Canadian newspaper The Globe and Mail reported that the suspected shooter “was known in the city’s activist circles as a right-wing troll who frequently took anti-foreigner and anti-feminist positions and stood up for U.S. President Donald Trump.”

François Deschamps, who runs a refugee support page on Facebook, told the publication that Bissonnette was an abusive far-right internet troll “who made frequent extreme comments in social media denigrating refugees and feminism.”

Multiple people who knew Bissonnette linked him to the far-right, nationalist, racist “Identitarian” movement, which is on the rise in Europe and North America.

Bissonnette’s extreme right-wing views were similarly inspired by Marine Le Pen, the far-right politician who may become the next president of France. Like
Trump, Le Pen campaigns on racist, anti-Muslim, white nationalist policies.

On his personal Facebook page, Bissonnette liked the pages of both Trump and Le Pen. (Bissonnette’s Facebook profile was taken down after the attack, but it is archived here.)

A pro-refugee group in Quebec City wrote on Facebook that activists knew of the suspected shooter because of his extreme “Identitarian, pro-Le Pen, and anti-feminist positions.”

Bissonnette also liked the Facebook pages of the Israel Defense Forces and the pro-Israel group United with Israel. The Israeli government is extremely right-wing, and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has expressed staunch support for President Trump and his anti-Muslim, anti-immigrant policies.

After the massacre at the Quebec Islamic Cultural Center, police initially detained two people — Bissonnette and Mohamed Khadir, who is Muslim. Khadir was widely reported to be another suspect, but he was quickly released and police made it clear that he was a witness, not an assailant. This, however, did not stop anti-Muslim, anti-immigrant groups from distorting the facts surrounding the events.

President Trump’s far-right administration and right-wing news sources jumped on the opportunity to misleadingly blame the attack on a Muslim. White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer tried to use the rumor to justify President Trump’s racist ban on Muslim refugees and migrants. But in reality the opposite is true: the suspected shooter is a white Canadian who massacred Muslim migrants. The victims were largely from North Africa.

As if often the case with terrorist attacks carried out by white right-wing extremists, media reports and government officials claimed the shooting was a “lone wolf” attack, and gave very sympathetic coverage to the suspected shooter, portraying him as “timid,” “lonely,” and “kind.”

Far-right terrorism is on the rise
 in North America. In the U.S., residents are significantly more likely to be killed by right-wing extremists than they are Islamist extremists.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(02-01-2017, 03:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Perhaps once we start having an influx of refugees from canada we'll concern ourselves more.

More Canadians cross our borders each year than people from the 7 countries affected by the EO combined, I'd be willing to wager.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(02-01-2017, 05:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Lucie was perhaps the most civil person in this forum; I never seen him with a cross word for anyone; regardless how often he was attacked (sorta the opposite of me). Hell, I even suggested he be a mod in the forum (they can't All be liberal) His views just rubbed many here the wrong way.

It is my suspecion that he was banned because he was discovered to be an alt. Outside of that I never saw anything from him that suggested he should; of course we are not privy to PMs, ect...

Thanks for the info.  I never saw him angry either.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-01-2017, 06:01 PM)GMDino Wrote: Rather not discuss it here. 

1) It's off topic
2) They don't like talking about folks who can't defend themselves.

Okey doke. Just wondrin' don't want to stir things up.
(02-01-2017, 06:05 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: More Canadians cross our borders each year than people from the 7 countries affected by the EO combined, I'd be willing to wager.

Permanently though?
(02-01-2017, 06:08 PM)GMDino Wrote: Permanently though?

No, the number of Canadians seeking permanent residence each year is on par with the numbers we see from Egypt or Iran. However, one needs not be seeking permanent residence in order to perform an act of terrorism. One could argue that just getting across the border for a visit to cause destruction would be much easier than seeking residence.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Extremists are going to do extreme things. I think the point that many on the right would make would be that importing potential extremists makes far less sense than dealing with the ones already here. People are always going to be more upset by the actions of an immigrant/refugee than a home grown extremist simply by dint of the former being an, unfortunately, inexorable part of society. Personally, I'd rather focus on the gang members that account for around 80% plus of our firearms related fatalities in this country. Unfortunately, again, that's a wholly separate politicized issue.
(02-01-2017, 06:15 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: No, the number of Canadians seeking permanent residence each year is on par with the numbers we see from Egypt or Iran. However, one needs not be seeking permanent residence in order to perform an act of terrorism. One could argue that just getting across the border for a visit to cause destruction would be much easier than seeking residence.

Got it.  

And I agree.

We don't need extremists from anywhere.
(02-01-2017, 06:21 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Extremists are going to do extreme things.  I think the point that many on the right would make would be that importing potential extremists makes far less sense than dealing with the ones already here.  People are always going to be more upset by the actions of an immigrant/refugee than a home grown extremist simply by dint of the former being an, unfortunately, inexorable part of society.  Personally, I'd rather focus on the gang members that account for around 80% plus of our firearms related fatalities in this country.  Unfortunately, again, that's a wholly separate politicized issue.

Damn straight.  Unfortunately that would require spending money on education and general community resources.  Ain't going to happen.  

Much easier to sell increased HSA / TSA activities and hand millions to the companies that staff those ***** abortions of security theatre.
Sorry to go off topic here (if there was one to begin with), but sympathies for the loved ones of those murdered. And going through this thread, I guess this is the first post to do so..
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(02-01-2017, 06:46 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Sorry to go off topic here (if there was one to begin with), but sympathies for the loved ones of those murdered. And going through this thread, I guess this is the first post to do so..

Thanks, yeah.  It's usually assumed while we focus on the killer and their motivations.
(02-01-2017, 06:05 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: More Canadians cross our borders each year than people from the 7 countries affected by the EO combined, I'd be willing to wager.

I should have said refugees. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(02-01-2017, 08:39 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I should have said refugees. 

You did, I just figured that since refugees make up a small percentage of international travel to our country it is silly to focus only on that group.

(02-01-2017, 10:45 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: You did, I just figured that since refugees make up a small percentage of international travel to our country it is silly to focus only on that group.

I think it's sillier to bring up tourists. Do we have a rash of tourists coming to a country and participating in acts of terror or trying to implement their cultural norms?

Seems to me the focus should be on those that plan on coming and staying a while, but to each his own.  

(02-01-2017, 10:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think it's sillier to bring up tourists. Do we have a rash of tourists coming to a country and participating in acts of terror or trying to implement their cultural norms?

Seems to me the focus should be on those that plan on coming and staying a while, but to each his own.  

Nope, but we haven't had the refugee issue, either. Our terrorists have been predominantly homegrown.

(02-02-2017, 12:38 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Nope, but we haven't had the refugee issue, either. Our terrorists have been predominantly homegrown.

At least 3 terrorist attacks on US soil in 2016 were carried out (suspected) by refugees. No report of how many folks on vacation committed acts of terror  

(02-01-2017, 05:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Lucie was perhaps the most civil person in this forum; I never seen him with a cross word for anyone; regardless how often he was attacked (sorta the opposite of me). Hell, I even suggested he be a mod in the forum (they can't All be liberal) His views just rubbed many here the wrong way.

It is my suspecion that he was banned because he was discovered to be an alt. Outside of that I never saw anything from him that suggested he should; of course we are not privy to PMs, ect...

dude was anything but civil

he was probably completely banned because he had multiple mini bans in a short time frame, and then when he goes around calling people homosexual slurs i guess that was the final straw
People suck
(02-02-2017, 01:12 AM)bfine32 Wrote: At least 3 terrorist attacks on US soil in 2016 were carried out (suspected) by refugees. No report of how many folks on vacation committed acts of terror  

what were they?
People suck
(02-02-2017, 01:12 AM)bfine32 Wrote: At least 3 terrorist attacks on US soil in 2016 were carried out (suspected) by refugees. No report of how many folks on vacation committed acts of terror  

Which three?  I'm genuinely curious about them.
Can we suspend visas for the Quebecois? This is awful. I can't imagine feeling like you're under attack for the actions of a minority thousands of miles away.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]