Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Quentin Spain wants to come back to Cincinnati
(01-21-2022, 05:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sure, we could do better.  However, I'm going to note that Williams and Spain have developed a pretty good chemistry on the Left side, and I feel like they can be even better by continuing to play next to each other.  Continuity is key, when it comes to it comes to establishing solidarity of an OL.

I feel like the most improvement from a serious upgrade from current starter on this OL is at the Center position.  Sure, a healthy Hopkins has been better than last few before him, but there is definitely a reason that interior heat seems to always come through him and the short yardage rushing attack has been impotent.

I guess what I'm alluding to is that if we put a better Center out there, Spain is likely going to perform even better than he has this season.

I still wonder if Hopkins will be better next year being a another year removed from his ACL injury. I remember when Geno tore his he wasn't the same player the next year but then bounced back the following year.
Reply/Quote
This is good news.

I think it proves the Burrow effect is real. I mean, that is why Hilton said he came. And if guys want to come here, we won't have to overpay guys to sign anymore (Waynes).

As for Spain himself, I think he is an above average LG. The right side if our line is a much bigger problem right now. Ink Spain for 2-3 years (he is 30), see if Carman or Smith or Adeniji develop into players.

Go get a plug & play guy for the right side in FA/draft, maybe 2.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 06:02 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think the topic is about signing Spain for next year.
So the $7 mill would be a rollover to next year, and there's expected to be ~$60 mill in cap space.
A lot of players hitting FA though, so it's not as much as it seems given all the people who have to be (re) signed.

People talk about that 60 mil like it's on top of the current roster.  That $60 mill has to cover resigning or replacing somewhere around 25 free agents.   Their current salaries add up to somewhere around $50 million.  Bates, Uzomah, and Apple are going to be looking for significant raises.  Other significant contributors are making about market rate so there's not a lot of savings there to be found.
Reply/Quote
Spain is in the next tier below a guy like Brandon Scherff who will be in FA. Since I see no way we pay a guy like Scherff I think we resign him and worry about RT. I’m not sold Reiff is the move and would rather investigate someone like Morgan Moses.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 07:03 PM)Roland Wrote: People talk about that 60 mil like it's on top of the current roster.  That $60 mill has to cover resigning or replacing somewhere around 25 free agents.   Their current salaries add up to somewhere around $50 million.  Bates, Uzomah, and Apple are going to be looking for significant raises.  Other significant contributors are making about market rate so there's not a lot of savings there to be found.

Uzomah already makes $6 mill APY.

I like Uzomah, but I don't think he's worth more than that. Not significantly more anyway.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 05:39 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: We can do better.

LOL, seriously?  He and Jonah have been outstanding on the left side.  Sometimes it's more about the overall being greater than the sum of the parts.

If we're replacing somebody, it's not him or Williams.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 05:51 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I’m fine with re-signing Spain

Carmen starts and develops at RG next season

It’s the Center and Right tackle that need addressing. Either or need to be upgraded next season

Center hasn't been the problem now that Hopkins is healthy.
Reply/Quote
Sign the best C available and hell even get creative and trade picks if we need to. RT sign the best available. Re-sign Spain, he's no world beater but he if he can become 4th or 5th best on the line next year we won't have to worry about Burrow getting assaulted every game. Draft BPA in round 1 (Sauce Gardner please) and draft a developmental tackle and a developmental iOL in round 2 and 3.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 07:03 PM)Roland Wrote: People talk about that 60 mil like it's on top of the current roster.  That $60 mill has to cover resigning or replacing somewhere around 25 free agents.   Their current salaries add up to somewhere around $50 million.  Bates, Uzomah, and Apple are going to be looking for significant raises.  Other significant contributors are making about market rate so there's not a lot of savings there to be found.

We have 36 under contract for next year.  That's 14 contracts that we need to worry about.

We also will have 7-8 draft picks, so in reality that's 6-7 free agents that need to be re-signed.  There should be plenty to sign everyone - especially if they cut Waynes and save $11 million.
Reply/Quote
Jesus guys. I know we aren't used to still being in a football season and clearly some are ready to move on to Hobspins funny math free agency talk.

We should tag Bates, resign CJ, resign a hurt OB (or maybe not and replace him with health Hill whoever will be cheapest). And that is all that have to be resigned. We can cut Waynes to cover Apple's contract if we re-sign him. But it's a gamble to bank on a repeat from him. And we can go CB in the 1st round and just have that extra cap space. Spain shouldn't break the bank, so I'd think he is a priority if they can't find better, but I don't consider him a lock.

Who am I missing?

What Hobspin and many other seem to forget is that the bottom of the roster doesn't even count towards the cap, so some of these vet minimum contracts (the burrow effect) won't even hurt when we re-sign or replace those at the fringe of the roster with other fringe players on "prove it deals".

Can we hold off on "Model Model" until another month at least. Sheesh.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 05:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I guess what I'm alluding to is that if we put a better Center out there, Spain is likely going to perform even better than he has this season.

Now I can buy this explanation for letting him comeback. However, hope it's a team friendly deal. Which, when noting that players want to play with Burrow, that may be possible.

Reply/Quote
I am ok with the left side of the OL.Hopkins is playing better,getting healthier,so I’d be ok with him coming back as well.Spain has been a solid left Guard for us this year at a cheap price.I’d bring him back as well,then see if Reiff would do a one year deal.RG? Well,that’s where I’d probably spend the money and try and go after an expensive top FA if possible.I sure wouldn’t risk taking an O-lineman in the draft.Of course we have some younger prospects,but at that position I’d try the FA market and get a sure thing.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 07:18 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Center hasn't been the problem now that Hopkins is healthy.

He’s still not good. We know Carmen is there at RG, he needs to develop. So just cross RG off the needs list

It’s C and RT that are the problems.

If a great center is available and falls into our lap before a RT does, then that’s a giant win and would make a HUGE improvement to the o-line

I’d also be happy with getting a really good RT and keeping Hopkins.
Reply/Quote
I want to resign both Spain and Rieff.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 08:04 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: We know Carmen is there at RG, he needs to develop. So just cross RG off the needs list

I’d also be happy with getting a really good RT and keeping Hopkins.

So... basically just swapping out Reiff for a different RT and keeping the exact same OL that had Burrow lead the league in sacks while also having a pretty sad run game?

[Image: thatsa-bold-strategy-cotton-lets-see-if-...218531.png]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 08:07 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: So... basically just swapping out Reiff for a different RT and keeping the exact same OL that had Burrow lead the league in sacks while also having a pretty sad run game?

[Image: thatsa-bold-strategy-cotton-lets-see-if-...218531.png]

Would you like to give up on Carmen? What’s your strategy? Replace Hopkins Carmen and Reiff? Only 1 is going to be replaced. Best scenario is both Hopkins and Reiff are replaced
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 08:10 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Would you like to give up on Carmen? What’s your strategy? Replace Hopkins Carmen and Reiff? Only 1 is going to be replaced. Best scenario is both Hopkins and Reiff are replaced

Why? Why are we immediately having a starting point of not being able to actually fix the problem that's been a problem for 6 straight years?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 08:13 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Why? Why are we immediately having a starting point of not being able to actually fix the problem that's been a problem for 6 straight years?

I’m trying to be realistic with the front office moves. It’s possible both Hopkins and Reiff can be replaced. I just think only 1 of them will be.

Even if one of them gets upgraded, it’s a good step. Now, Carmen has to not stink. If he improves, with either the Center or RT getting an upgrade, then the line is fine
Reply/Quote
Hopkins has one year left on his deal so unless Linderbaum falls to them he’ll most likely be back.

What they do at RT is the biggest question.

Reply/Quote
I'm not sure what decisions a prior poster(Fred) has been charged with making about the OL but I hope he decides to bring Mr. Spain back. Q seems well-priced , is invested in the Bengals' new culture, and there's a lot to be said for continuity on the line and chemistry on and off the gridiron.
Reply/Quote