Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Quentin Spain wants to come back to Cincinnati
Hopefully Q is in a Bengals uniform next year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Wow. I'm fairly surprised at how easily some want to let a guy like Spain walk. We watched guys like Redmond, Price, and Jordan fill starting spots on the interior for years and we got pretty much the worst outcome possible from it, predictably. Carman has flashed some promise, but his work ethic and consistency are yet to be proven. Quentin Spain is the best thing to happen to the Bengals at OG since Boling retired, and he's a good leader for the position group to boot.

If they decide not to sign Spain, then what do people think the alternative will be? Are they suddenly going to pay an outside guard comparable money? Highly unlikely. They wouldn't cough up a halfway decent deal to an established and familiar Zeitler last year and Thuney was a pipe dream from the start.

Are you relying on drafting a new starting left guard? What of their history of drafting interior OL in the last 5 years makes that seem like a good idea? Jackson Carman? Carman is a giant of a man with mobility that they couldn't pull out of the starting lineup fast enough when Adenji came back. Then Reiff gets hurt and he still sits on the bench. Then Spain sat the Cleveland game and he finally got in. It took THREE injuries to starters for coaches to decide that Carman, a second round pick, was their best replacement option. That's piss poor. A second rounder with multi-position versatility should be a plug-and-play starter on a line as weak as this one, yet he wasn't even close. How bout Billy Price? There is no example of an interior lineman that they've drafted being ready to start in the last 5 years. None.

So, in summation, we a have a demonstrably capable, enthusiastic, and perhaps even pretty good LG with 2 years in the system. He's done nothing but exceed expectations and carry water for what the staff wants to do since he got here. People want to balk over paying him 8-10 mil a year? Screw that. Unless you're signing an elite, no-doubt replacement for huge money, that's a big negative for me. In fact, he's the first guy that's up for an extension that I'd pay, and I wouldn't think twice about it.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2022, 11:52 AM)samhain Wrote: Wow.  I'm fairly surprised at how easily some want to let a guy like Spain walk.  We watched guys like Redmond, Price, and Jordan fill starting spots on the interior for years and we got pretty much the worst outcome possible from it, predictably.  Carman has flashed some promise, but his work ethic and consistency are yet to be proven.  Quentin Spain is the best thing to happen to the Bengals at OG since Boling retired, and he's a good leader for the position group to boot.  

If they decide not to sign Spain, then what do people think the alternative will be?  Are they suddenly going to pay an outside guard comparable money?  Highly unlikely.  They wouldn't cough up a halfway decent deal to an established and familiar Zeitler last year and Thuney was a pipe dream from the start.  

Are you relying on drafting a new starting left guard?  What of their history of drafting interior OL in the last 5 years makes that seem like a good idea?  Jackson Carman?  Carman is a giant of a man with mobility that they couldn't pull out of the starting lineup fast enough when Adenji came back.  Then Reiff gets hurt and he still sits on the bench.  Then Spain sat the Cleveland game and he finally got in.  It took THREE injuries to starters for coaches to decide that Carman, a second round pick, was their best replacement option.  That's piss poor.  A second rounder with multi-position versatility should be a plug-and-play starter on a line as weak as this one, yet he wasn't even close.  How bout Billy Price?  There is no example of an interior lineman that they've drafted being ready to start in the last 5 years.  None.

So, in summation, we a have a demonstrably capable, enthusiastic, and perhaps even pretty good LG with 2 years in the system.  He's done nothing but exceed expectations and carry water for what the staff wants to do since he got here.  People want to balk over paying him 8-10 mil a year?  Screw that.  Unless you're signing an elite, no-doubt replacement for huge money, that's a big negative for me.  In fact, he's the first guy that's up for an extension that I'd pay, and I wouldn't think twice about it.

All true but Price did net us Hill who has had a fantastic season.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2022, 11:03 AM)M.W. Wrote: Bring the hate but I'd let Bates walk to make vast improvements on the OL.  

They should sign him to a friendlier contract than they would have this past offseason. Next year is his "up" year, as he's been good/meh/great/meh is first 4 seasons. 

He's never been bad, so if they can get him under contract for his value, then that's a roster +.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Most everything I am about to say has been touched on in some way in this thread already, but maybe not stated this way.

Spain has been the LEAST of our worries on the line (except when he got hurt!), has played very well for us, and should return. Hands down he has been our best lineman. I'm still not sold on Jonah, but Spain has at least allowed him to not be a weak link, so keep those two together and target the rest of the line.

Hopkins can get the job done, so he should stay. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't try and upgrade at the position and make Hopkins the backup.

Reif has played very well for us, but he is a stop gap who was only available to us because he can't stay healthy. Keep him around for depth and as a mentor to whatever young RT we sign or draft.

RG needs to be figured out. Carman struggled there as a rookie, but he played well at LG when he stepped in for Spain (his only issues at LG were the false starts when he entered the lineup). I would think Carman should be backing up Spain and ignore him at RG.

Getting back to Spain, the conversation at hand, we keep him here. Remember John Thornton? Another guy who came here after a successful career in TN to help stabilize a line as the sun set on his career and the remainder of it got built up. That is what Spain is doing for us now and we should do it the same way. Keep bringing in better talent so Spain goes from the strength of the line to the weakest link, at which point he can be a mentor and depth in the twilight of his career.
Reply/Quote
Whether we like it or not we are going to need to have young rookies on the off line for salsry cap purposes.
When Burrow re-ups in 2 more years at 40 mil we cannot afford everybody.

I honestly don't know how KC does it.
Reply/Quote
Spain is a solid tier 2 Offensive Guard. He will be hard to "upgrade" unless the team is willing to spend 10m+.

As for people talking about letting Bates walk you will have to find his replacement. That has to be someone with range to play a ton of single high in a cover 1 shell.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2022, 01:02 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: Whether we like it or not we are going to need to have young rookies on the off line for salsry cap purposes.
When Burrow re-ups in 2 more years at 40 mil we cannot afford everybody.

I honestly don't know how KC does it.

Cap manipulation. Something the Bengals don’t really do. If a team really wants somebody, they can get him if they are creative enough.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2022, 01:47 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Cap manipulation. Something the Bengals don’t really do. If a team really wants somebody, they can get him if they are creative enough.

Pretty much. It’s the same in some other sports, too. Anyone that follows the NHL is familiar with what the Tampa Bay Lightning have been getting away with the last couple years.

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 05:39 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: We can do better.

Pff has Spain rated at 9th overall. Ur right we could do better but it’s this mentality that hurts this team. We have top 10 guard at his spot already and u want to make a new hole for no reason and try n fill it when we have massive glaring bottom of the barrel needs elsewhere...cmon man smh
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2022, 01:07 PM)Synric Wrote: Spain is a solid tier 2 Offensive Guard. He will be hard to "upgrade" unless the team is willing to spend 10m+.

As for people talking about letting Bates walk you will have to find his replacement. That has to be someone with range to play a ton of single high in a cover 1 shell.

Daxton Hill. Next...
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2022, 04:23 PM)JoyrideJoe15 Wrote: Daxton Hill.  Next...

I would much rather have Bates back who is a proven veteran single high safety that plays at a high level.

To me upgrade poor spots lock up the young veterans. Rather use that 1st to get a Offensive Tackle or Corner (possibly a center). Instead of using that 1st the make a lateral move at best.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I like Spain at LG. Would like to see him back, but C and RG has to improve. Reiff at RT is good if he can stay healthy. OL free agents doesn't look good unless you're going to pay big dollars.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 05:35 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Dan Hoard was just on the radio interviewing Spain and he was adamant that he wants to come back to Cincinnati next year and finish his career here.

That's all good and Spain is a nice piece, but what's more important is that people actually WANT to play in Cincinnati now.

The Burrow effect is real. I really think we are going to see a change in FA this year and players are really going to want to play here.

Yes, bring back Spain and a bunch of top tier FA's this Offseason. Like you said, they will WANT to come here now.

Doesn't matter how much money you offer a player that doesn't want to come here.
Reply/Quote
I was at the Titans game.
I wasn't very close, but from what I could see, Adeniji was the worst blocker.
PFF backs up what I saw, giving him a 21.2 pass blocking grade (4 pressures, 3 sacks).

Jonah also had a difficult game, allowing 4 pressures and 2 sacks. 57 grade.
I give Jonah more of a pass though because he's been consistently better this year.

Spain only allowed 2 pressures and 1 sack, according to PFF. 67.8 grade.

Hopkins and Prince (surprisingly) had the best grades.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 10:58 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I was at the Titans game.
I wasn't very close, but from what I could see, Adeniji was the worst blocker.
PFF backs up what I saw, giving him a 21.2 pass blocking grade (4 pressures, 3 sacks).

Jonah also had a difficult game, allowing 4 pressures and 2 sacks. 57 grade.
I give Jonah more of a pass though because he's been consistently better this year.

Spain only allowed 2 pressures and 1 sack, according to PFF. 67.8 grade.

Hopkins and Prince (surprisingly) had the best grades.

Hell, I was ten beers deep by the half, and I could tell Adeniji was the worst.... LMAO

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Well after Saturday I want to Completely Overhaul this OL again..... we are still 3 quality starters away it seems
Reply/Quote
Would be more than happy to bring back Spain at the right price. Do have a feeling he might be asking for bigger money than what we would all expecting. Seems to have a very high opinion of his own ability (called himself most underrated player in league and thinks he was a pro bowl snub). Have no problem with players thinking like that but it does often factor in to contract demands
Reply/Quote
I don't think they'll be able to upgrade Q for a reasonable cost. I'd keep him, try to solidify RG and RT. If the Linderbaum kid slides, draft him.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Have to re-sign Big Spain. He and Williams are pretty solid on the left side of the line. We need to spend the money to upgrade from Center down the right side of the line.
Reply/Quote