Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about "reporting" posts
Have you ever done it?

It has been cast as the Scarlet Letter around here lately and I was wondering what would lead someone to actually report a post short of obvious spam advertising?

I have several pages on Facebook I have to run and in general there are very, VERY few times something has to be taken down that isn't, again, obvious spam.

You don't have to say who it was or give specific details.  I'm just curious if this happens as much as is thought or if the mods are just good at catching stuff and people who think things are always getting "reported" are just misinformed on that.

I know one time around 2006 or 2007, right after Tomlin was hired I saw a post in Smack that, to me, was borderline racist so I flagged it with the question if it passed the smell test.  Turns out a moderator had made the original post.  He informed me that not only was it not racist but that I was a stupid Steelers fan for even suggesting it and nothing would ever be done about it.

Interestingly he was perma-banned from the site eventually.   Smirk

But I never reported anything after that.  Unless (and I honestly do not remember) it was one of those "work from home and get $100 sunglasses for free" posts that slipped in occasionally over the years.

Anyone else?  
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
I have reported posts a few times. Mostly it has been the result of blatantly racist remarks or egregious personal attacks. Most of the time I ignore the idiocy, but sometimes there are things are are so harmful to the community that they need to be addressed, plain and simple.
(03-09-2016, 04:34 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I have reported posts a few times. Mostly it has been the result of blatantly racist remarks or egregious personal attacks. Most of the time I ignore the idiocy, but sometimes there are things are are so harmful to the community that they need to be addressed, plain and simple.

Did you get a reasonable resolution?

The definition of what is "blatantly racist", for example, has also been debated.  

I tend to see an evenhandedness with the bans, but I also miss a few and don't even know they are gone until they come back.  So I don't know if their behavior changed or not.
never done it, never would. either don't care enough or am 100x more juvenile than matt, take the bait and fire back. neither of those are the right way to go about things, but its the truth.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-09-2016, 04:42 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: never done it, never would.  either don't care enough or am 100x more juvenile than matt, take the bait and fire back.  neither of those are the right way to go about things, but its the truth.

At least you're honest about it!   Smirk
I've never reported anyone here or on the old board. I did get a warning once on the old board a loooong time ago but I don't remember what it was for.

I don't report anyone and I hardly give out Rep as well so, if you get Rep from me, it's something I really REALLY agree with.

Oh, I do remember once, I think it was SSF or SCS or one of the Steelers fans on this board who gave me Neg Rep once. I thought it was funny because in the comment section was something about "Word Olympics", lol. I still can't figure out what he meant by it though since I know I'm no wordsmith or anything.

People have to remember, I am constantly in an opiate induced fog everyday and on days like today, with the rain, I take a little extra to help with the pain.

By the way, when will Indiana legalize Marijuana? It would be so much better than taking opiates to deal with the pain.

EDIT: Whoa! WAY OFF TRACK HERE!
Reported...

No. There are things I would snitch about. Getting my feelings hurt on an internet message board is not one. I did get uncomfortable with fred and SN i think getting to know each other too well. But whatevs.
(03-09-2016, 04:46 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I've never reported anyone here or on the old board. I did get a warning once on the old board a loooong time ago but I don't remember what it was for.

I don't report anyone and I hardly give out Rep as well so, if you get Rep from me, it's something I really REALLY agree with.

Oh, I do remember once, I think it was SSF or SCS or one of the Steelers fans on this board who gave me Neg Rep once. I thought it was funny because in the comment section was something about "Word Olympics", lol. I still can't figure out what he meant by it though since I know I'm no wordsmith or anything.

People have to remember, I am constantly in an opiate induced fog everyday and on days like today, with the rain, I take a little extra to help with the pain.

By the way, when will Indiana legalize Marijuana? It would be so much better than taking opiates to deal with the pain.

You're probably correct.
(03-09-2016, 04:39 PM)GMDino Wrote: Did you get a reasonable resolution?

The definition of what is "blatantly racist", for example, has also been debated.  

I tend to see an evenhandedness with the bans, but I also miss a few and don't even know they are gone until they come back.  So I don't know if their behavior changed or not.

So I often approach posts that I find to be too far in one of three ways: ignore it and move on with life, report the post, or tell the person that made the post in a PM that they ought to reconsider their words. What I see as a reasonable resolution is the post removed or edited. If they are being intentionally belligerent, especially repeatedly, then I could see suspending/banning, but I would rather just see the post changed or removed and everyone moves on. Either way, every time I have said something here or on the old board the moderator has taken action. I don't think any of my reports have resulted in a "timeout", though.

(03-09-2016, 04:42 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: never done it, never would. either don't care enough or am 100x more juvenile than matt, take the bait and fire back. neither of those are the right way to go about things, but its the truth.

Oh, sometimes I fire back. Trying not to these days, and honestly the level of the discourse around here as of late has made me not want to post much at all, to be completely honest.

(03-09-2016, 04:46 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I don't report anyone and I hardly give out Rep as well so, if you get Rep from me, it's something I really REALLY agree with.

I'm not one that's very free with the rep, either. It's funny, some days I will get in a mood to give some out, usually it is some rep reciprocity that starts the ball rolling. But usually I'm pretty stingy with the rep points.
(03-09-2016, 04:46 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I've never reported anyone here or on the old board. I did get a warning once on the old board a loooong time ago but I don't remember what it was for.

I got a negative from the mods for an animated picture of Palmer eating that hotdog in the old ad he did.   Smirk

What bugged me was that someone else also posted it and it was left up.

I think the only member who gave me negative back in the day that I can remember was the guy "who didn't say that".  I was riding his comments pretty hard and he didn't like it.

Might have been another but it was rare...or at least rare enough that it bothered me so little I don't recall it.

Oh, and I'm with you on the marijuana. I've never used and don't care too but I can't see why there is such a fight over it other than drug manufacturers don't like it.
(03-09-2016, 04:54 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Reported...

No. There are things I would snitch about. Getting my feelings hurt on an internet message board is not one. I did get uncomfortable with fred and SN i think getting to know each other too well. But whatevs.

That's where I fall with it too.  Too many real things to care about!   ThumbsUp
(03-09-2016, 05:07 PM)GMDino Wrote: I got a negative from the mods for an animated picture of Palmer eating that hotdog in the old ad he did.   Smirk

What bugged me was that someone else also posted it and it was left up.

I think the only member who gave me negative back in the day that I can remember was the guy "who didn't say that".  I was riding his comments pretty hard and he didn't like it.

Might have been another but it was rare...or at least rare enough that it bothered me so little I don't recall it.

I received one negative from the mods on the old boards the whole time there. It was for this picture:
[Image: The-Meaning-of-Life-monty-python-17864715-852-480.jpg]

They said it was inappropriate content.
(03-09-2016, 05:09 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I received one negative on the old boards the whole time there. It was for this picture:
[Image: The-Meaning-of-Life-monty-python-17864715-852-480.jpg]

They said it was inappropriate content.

Hilarious

Someone had a very shallow sense of humor!

Monty Python all the way!

Edit: Although is today's climate on the boards a crossdressing gay man might start a fight! Ninja
(03-09-2016, 05:08 PM)GMDino Wrote: That's where I fall with it too.  Too many real things to care about!   ThumbsUp

It's funny, I don't report things that offend me, because honestly, I'm a lifelong fat nerd, it's hard to offend me these days. I just try to take the approach of this is a community and there are some things that are harmful to it. They need to be addressed.
The fact that half of you guys still remain is proof my report button is broken or just worn out.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(03-09-2016, 05:17 PM)michaelsean Wrote: The fact  that half of you guys still remain is proof my report button is broken or just worn out.

I was told* that your button never worked.

*No I wasn't. 
(03-09-2016, 04:54 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Reported...

I really wanted to see that play out more.  
(03-09-2016, 05:15 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: It's funny, I don't report things that offend me, because honestly, I'm a lifelong fat nerd, it's hard to offend me these days. I just try to take the approach of this is a community and there are some things that are harmful to it. They need to be addressed.

I think fat guys handle that stuff better than most.

I stole a joke from someone about when I was called fat I'd look shocked and say "When did this happen?!?!  I was thin last night!!!"

Or I'd respond with "Really?  That's all you got?  I KNOW I'm fat....you wanna make fun of my hairy back too?"

Really throws them off when you can't be offended.  Smirk
I've reported, once.
It did not involve me, but someone made physical threats toward another.

Myself, I can take whatever you turkeys can dish out.
Mooning
(03-09-2016, 06:01 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I've reported,  once.
It did not involve me, but someone made physical threats toward another.

Myself,  I can take whatever you turkeys  can dish out.
Mooning

Wow...physical threats?!?!

Even then I'd hesitate as a lot of internet tough guys make threats.

But why drop to that level in the first place?!?!