Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Quinton Flowers - an interesting addition to the rookie class
I'll admit: I was a bit skeptical when I saw the team signed him as a priority free agent. I had some people in the organization tell me, well, it won't be to play QB. Currently listed as a running back, he told me today he's getting some looks to throw the ball and Marvin came out today to say they're going to let him do it all through camp to see if he can make the 53. It's quite a thing for Marvin to say about a UDFA, in my opinion, especially with 11 draft picks in this class and Mason Schreck basically being added to that as well.

Anyway, Flowers has a great back story and his journey to this point has been pretty incredible. Here it is, in case y'all haven't seen it. He was a hot topic today so I'm sure you'll see more than a few articles pop up on him.

As always, thanks in advance for reading and any shares out in the social / email world. And, of course, drop any questions about him or anyone else here and I'll make sure to get to it.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/05/11/quinton-flowers-cincinnati-bengals-opportunity/602948002/
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2018, 10:00 PM)jowczarski Wrote: I'll admit: I was a bit skeptical when I saw the team signed him as a priority free agent. I had some people in the organization tell me, well, it won't be to play QB. Currently listed as a running back, he told me today he's getting some looks to throw the ball and Marvin came out today to say they're going to let him do it all through camp to see if he can make the 53. It's quite a thing for Marvin to say about a UDFA, in my opinion, especially with 11 draft picks in this class and Mason Schreck basically being added to that as well.

Anyway, Flowers has a great back story and his journey to this point has been pretty incredible. Here it is, in case y'all haven't seen it. He was a hot topic today so I'm sure you'll see more than a few articles pop up on him.

As always, thanks in advance for reading and any shares out in the social / email world. And, of course, drop any questions about him or anyone else here and I'll make sure to get to it.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/05/11/quinton-flowers-cincinnati-bengals-opportunity/602948002/

Thanks, I was really surprised to hear marvin speak up for him. That was almost as interesting to hear him just crush the German.
Reply/Quote
You gotta root for guys like that. I’m glad to hear he’s willing to do whatever and play whatever to be on the team. You can’t show anybody anything if you’re sitting at home.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2018, 10:37 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Thanks,  I was really surprised to hear marvin speak up for him.  That was almost as interesting to hear him just crush the German.

Yeah, it was surprising to hear him say that -- especially since he's basically a free body to practice with. But then again, if Marvin thinks the dude really can't play, well...

As for Flowers - me, too. He really doesn't ever get that effusive about a UDFA. And to kind of dismiss his poor throws on Friday as nerves. I mean, it was bad. But when he believes in a guy like that, he expects that dude to be good, so Flowers kind of has some pressure now, IMO, more so than say Jordan Franks.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
Here's a lengthy article on him from si.com from last November - https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/11/21/quinton-flowers-south-florida-bulls-family

This was the first I had heard of him.  Definitely a good story.  Couldn't find a harder worker IMO.
Reply/Quote
bengals.com article was mostly about Flowers, seems like he is the talk of the team for now.
Reply/Quote
I'd be interested in finding out what position the Bengals mainly see Flowers playing at: QB, RB, WR, returner, etc?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2018, 11:36 AM)Stewy Wrote: Here's a lengthy article on him from si.com from last November - https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/11/21/quinton-flowers-south-florida-bulls-family

This was the first I had heard of him.  Definitely a good story.  Couldn't find a harder worker IMO.

He went blow for blow with Central Florida last year (leading South Florida) and gave them every bit as good a game as Auburn.  The kid has skills.  Call him a poor man's Lemar Jackson.  
Reply/Quote
Seems like a guy with a lot of potential. I'm glad to hear that he'll do whatever it takes, including playing whatever position will get him on the team, and hopefully on the field. Good luck Quinton.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2018, 11:40 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I'd be interested in finding out what position the Bengals mainly see Flowers playing at: QB, RB, WR, returner, etc?

If he is put as a returner, it will be a waste a talent.  QB, RB & WR should be the 3 places he should play or have plays made for him to keep opponent's D and coaches confused, frustrated and exasperated.
Reply/Quote
Great article Jim O. Honestly didn't know anything about Quinton Flowers except he was a running QB at Southern Florida.

This sheds a lot of light with the fight in the man and his big time class after going through so much.

Between Flowers and Mark Walton those are some great young men with crazy heart. Going to be quite the fight for those
last two RB spots. I liked Brian Hill before we added these two guys. The thing that Flowers brings is he looks like he could
be one of those trick players that we could use in the RPO sometimes.

Thanks for this Jim, great stuff.
Reply/Quote
Thanks for sharing JimO

It will be an interesting story to watch, I'm pulling for him !
Reply/Quote
Maybe he can become what Reggie McNeal never could. Marvin always wanted an Antwan Randle El-type player... Maye he finally has one?

Here's hoping Cheers
Reply/Quote
I guess the fact that he is trying out as a RB makes it an even longer shot, with a 4th round pick slotted behind Gio and Mixon. I could see packages where he would run jet sweeps, screens, and the aforementioned gadget plays, but NFL rosters are so damn small that I can't see him getting a spot (maybe the PS?) unless there are injuries.

I mean, I still like Brian Hill, also.

He was a stud at SF and I would love to see him succeed, but I just don't see where he would fit here.
Reply/Quote
One thing Flowers has going for him, if he makes the roster as the 4th running back, it makes it easier for the team to run with 2 QB's instead of 3 and Flowers can be the emergency 3rd option....which means we can carry an extra WR, DL, LB etc...
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2018, 08:42 AM)Sled21 Wrote: One thing Flowers has going for him, if he makes the roster as the 4th running back, it makes it easier for the team to run with 2 QB's instead of 3 and Flowers can be the emergency 3rd option....which means we can carry an extra WR, DL, LB etc...

Are you insinuating that we might have another Brooks/Woodsp-esque Super Bowl team again? Dancing
Reply/Quote
Flowers seems ideal on jet sweeps,direct snaps, bubble screens
package him Gio and Ross on the field at the same time
direct snap to him fake jet sweep to Ross then let Flowers get outside hashmarks with RPO
make him the 3rd QB and cut Barkley
Reply/Quote
A 5’10 QB lol no thanks
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(05-13-2018, 12:58 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: A 5’10 QB lol no thanks

He's not a QB anymore, so...
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-13-2018, 01:01 PM)McC Wrote: He's not a QB anymore, so...

Best case Practice squad

Could def use him in wild cat formations but i just don’t see how he makes the 53
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote