Poll: What do you want to see happen at RB?
Keep Mixon sign Perine and Trayveon
Keep Mixon and draft
Keep Mixon sign Perine and draft late
Keep Mixon sign Trayveon and draft late
Cut Mixon and draft
Cut Mixon sign Perine and draft
Cut Mixon sign Trayveon and draft
Cut Mixon sign Trayveon and Perine and maybe draft
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
RB Decision
(02-03-2023, 12:48 PM)Sled21 Wrote: He sucks?

Not really, he was the only guy that showed any explosion when he was playing.  He's perfect for the offense.  He can catch out of the backfield.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 11:14 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Was in the cut Mixon camp after this year for monetary reasons before this season even started, and am still in that camp.  

Voted cut Mix, keep Perine, and draft.

Yet would have voted this way if it were worded like this

Cut Mix, keep Perine and Trayveon, plus draft one instead of "maybe draft"

Same thoughts.  I like Trayveon and hope he is back at a reasonable salary.  Not sure what that would mean for Chris Evans
Reply/Quote
I just can’t condone paying a RB that can’t pass block 12M. Keep Perine for pass pro, draft RB by 3rd round and just fully accept that we are a passing team.

A lot of ppl want speed at RB after years of Mixon but i want a bruiser. He just has to hit holes hard and really needs to understand that since we won’t run a lot, every single run is important. Maybe look at scouting backs from college teams that have poor o lines but they still did good.

Honestly he doesn’t fit the played behind a bad o line criteria but Miyan Williams is a guy i like. Decent speed but is a bruiser. If we need 3 yards he’s going to get you the 3 yards. He’s not going to try and LaDanian Tomlinson that shit, he’s just going to try for that 3 yards. We need consistency at that position.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
What do you guys think about moving
On from Mixon and looking at Kareem Hunt.?
He is looking for a fresh start after being
Under used by the Browns the last couple years
Not alot of wear and tear on his body.
He is alot more explosive and quicker than Mixon
For a fraction of the cost .
Reply/Quote
Definitely re-sign Perine. He's very dependable and a good vet presence in the room.
Cut Mixon. He's far too inconsistent as a runner and inept as a blocker for the money he's making.
Look at a guy like Roschon Johnson in the draft. His ability in pass pro and blitz pickup would be valuable.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 12:27 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I think the guy we should start is already here - Chris Evans.  I just can't figure out why he seems to be in the doghouse.

I am going to guess that Evans is being kept on the shelf for developmental reasons.  He flashed some exciting athleticism in limited action this season, I'm guessing that they want his blocking to be up to par, prior to giving him any extended reps.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I liked what I saw from Perine and Trayveon Williams this season.
Perine still isn't stud RB1, but he's ok in a stable.
We should be concerned, however, with Chris Evans.
Dude basically got demoted from not only RB3 duties but also KR duties.
He didn't see a single RB carry all year.

I don't mind Mixon as a RB, but $12 mill a year is too much for a passing offense. I'd much rather that money get repurposed into the OL and pass catchers.

So I voted to cut Mixon, re-sign Perine and Williams, and draft a guy.
Perine, Williams, and the draft pick can form a RBBC.
Evans can either make the team as RB4 or be cut, don't care honestly.
I don't think he's trending in the right direction though to become a factor on this team.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 03:58 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Definitely re-sign Perine. He's very dependable and a good vet presence in the room.
Cut Mixon. He's far too inconsistent as a runner and inept as a blocker for the money he's making.
Look at a guy like Roschon Johnson in the draft. His ability in pass pro and blitz pickup would be valuable.

I hadn't really looked into Roschon Johnson, and it's easy to overlook him given his production doesn't jump off the page.
But it's good when you realize he was having to spell arguably the best RB in the draft in Bijan Robinson.
He could be a Perine clone, but maybe more bursty. The vids I just watched of him showed he can get downhill fast.
A weird potential perk with Johnson too...he came to Texas as a QB, so he could very occasionally do some wildcat.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I've been in the cut Mixon and stick with Perine since earlier this year when Mixon was hurt. Perine is a more decisive runner and is a better blocker in pass protection. I've just gotten tired of watching Mixon dance behind the line vs. putting his head down and getting the yardage that is there since he tends to lose a few yards more often then not when he tries to make a cut behind the line anymore.

Before the warrent story broke, I'd of been more in favor of trading him vs. just cutting him, but I don't know what value he would have given the recent negative attention he has received.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 05:54 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I hadn't really looked into Roschon Johnson, and it's easy to overlook him given his production doesn't jump off the page.
But it's good when you realize he was having to spell arguably the best RB in the draft in Bijan Robinson.
He could be a Perine clone, but maybe more bursty. The vids I just watched of him showed he can get downhill fast.
A weird potential perk with Johnson too...he came to Texas as a QB, so he could very occasionally do some wildcat.

Remember in 2019 when the Texas RB room all got hurt and Roschon just switched there on the fly and was actually kinda good lol. Jim Nagy invited him to the Senior Bowl as a Red Star guy.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Cut Mixon, sign perine, and draft. Mixon is far too expensive for not being able to block and very lackluster production. Even last year his best statistical year was more about volume. Don't watch CFB so don't know the prospects but would like a faster pass catching back to pair with perine.
Reply/Quote
If they move on from Mixon they need to make sure the replacement is capable in pass pro. This is a passing team as long as Burrow is the quarterback, and and running back that sucks in pass pro is a major liability.

McKinnon in KC isn't a superstar, but he's a capable back and a good receiver. His main role is Mahomes' personal protector. Maybe Perine can get that done. If he can't, find another dude that can. They aren't expensive and they are a necessity when you have a quarterback of this caliber.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 02:03 PM)impactplaya Wrote: What do you guys think about moving
On from Mixon and looking at Kareem Hunt.?
He is looking for a fresh start after being
Under used by the Browns the last couple years
Not alot of wear and tear on his body.
He is alot more explosive and quicker than Mixon
For a fraction of the cost .

Heck yeah, if he can block better than Mixon.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
6 8
Reply/Quote
I went with 6 and 8 as well.

I expected a few more votes for keeping Mixon. But it's not too surprising. I was going to make an option about restructuring Mixon and giving Perine some of his money but figured that would be the run away winner. Mixon had 1470 combined rushing and receiving yards and 10 TDs on 317 touches regular and post season. Averaging a TD every 31.7 touches and 4.6 yards a touch.

Perine had 774 combined rushing and receiving and 7 TDs on 155 touches regular and post season. Averaging a TD every 22 touches and 4.9 yards a touch.

He got out performed.

Mixon having only 8 rushing TDs on the year when he had a 4 TD game really grinds my gears. He is a great player and still has it. So just cutting him would really suck. We had the luxury of handing out a top RB contract and Mixon has made a lot of money the last few years. It would be nice if he would restructure and we could keep him and his boy Perine playing together again.

If not it's kind of a sad ending.
Reply/Quote
Moving on from Joe is the right thing to do. Keeping guys past their useful time here is the sad part. We had a few that should have been let go on the roster last year. We cannot carry people to get them a shot at a ring if we continue to then our team may never see one. It is not written in stone the Bengals will win a Superbowl just because we have Burrow, we need all to contribute. Most of us know we got to blow teams out to win if we let the refs decide our fate, we will never make it to the top.

Joe had 2 yards per carry in our last game Perine had 4 yards per.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2023, 07:59 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: Moving on from Joe is the right thing to do. Keeping guys past their useful time here is the sad part. We had a few that should have been let go on the roster last year. We cannot carry people to get them a shot at a ring if we continue to then our team may never see one. It is not written in stone the Bengals will win a Superbowl just because we have Burrow, we need all to contribute. Most of us know we got to blow teams out to win if we let the refs decide our fate, we will never make it to the top.

Joe had 2 yards per carry in our last game Perine had 4 yards per.

Right.  Nostalgia and past love for certain players needs to be set aside for current production and cost.

I don't want to waste anything on this time with Burrow at QB.

Make the team better and pay the players that are performing at a high level NOW.

Free agency/draft can be a tool to improve, or at least lateral move to a cheaper option.

It's one of those "what have you done for us lately" that are a harsh NFL reality.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 01:18 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Not really, he was the only guy that showed any explosion when he was playing.  He's perfect for the offense.  He can catch out of the backfield.

Mixon blows. I’d rather have a guy who is consistent and not explosive + can pass protect, than a guy who is explosive yet inconsistent and can’t pass protect
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2023, 10:44 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Mixon blows. I’d rather have a guy who is consistent and not explosive + can pass protect, than a guy who is explosive yet inconsistent and can’t pass protect

I want a RB that does not go down at first contact Joe is way to easy to bring down as well.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2023, 10:44 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Mixon blows. I’d rather have a guy who is consistent and not explosive + can pass protect, than a guy who is explosive yet inconsistent and can’t pass protect

I'll probably get flamed for this but I'd rather have an explosive TE in this offense that lacks blocking skills than a RB of that nature.

Of course I'd like a complete athlete at both positions but that would be my preference in this offense.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote