Poll: What do you want to see happen at RB?
Keep Mixon sign Perine and Trayveon
Keep Mixon and draft
Keep Mixon sign Perine and draft late
Keep Mixon sign Trayveon and draft late
Cut Mixon and draft
Cut Mixon sign Perine and draft
Cut Mixon sign Trayveon and draft
Cut Mixon sign Trayveon and Perine and maybe draft
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
RB Decision
(02-04-2023, 10:55 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: I want a RB that does not go down at first contact Joe is way to easy to bring down as well.

He almost always gets caught, if he isn't falling or tripping on his own. 
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2023, 10:57 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I'll probably get flamed for this but I'd rather have an explosive TE in this offense that lacks blocking skills than a RB of that nature.

Of course I'd like a complete athlete at both positions but that would be my preference in this offense.

Bengals need a consistent run game more than anything. The past 2 years the running attack has been piss poor. It has to change. No more 3.6-4.1 yards per carry. It’s a complete hindrance
Reply/Quote
I didn't think of it earlier, but what are the thoughts on trading for say CEH from KC? If we could get him for cheap 5th or later, he gets to reunite with Burrow/Chase to try and salvage his career and if it doesn't work out, picks that late get cut all the time? This idea only works with Mixon gone though otherwise you have too much money in the RB room (assuming Perine back).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2023, 11:10 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Bengals need a consistent run game more than anything. The past 2 years the running attack has been piss poor. It has to change. No more 3.6-4.1 yards per carry. It’s a complete hindrance

I agree.  My point was that I'd rather have a RB that is capable of blocking well and being consistent.  

However, I would compromise for an explosive TE that might lack blocking skills.  Which might be unpopular to some.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2023, 11:28 AM)WVUHomer Wrote: I didn't think of it earlier, but what are the thoughts on trading for say CEH from KC? If we could get him for cheap 5th or later, he gets to reunite with Burrow/Chase to try and salvage his career and if it doesn't work out, picks that late get cut all the time? This idea only works with Mixon gone though otherwise you have too much money in the RB room (assuming Perine back).

Im not sure KC is as happy with him as they are their 7th rounder. 

There are so many good backs we can get in this draft.

If we keep Perine; Achane and Sean Tucker are incredible. Spears is pretty awesome.

Zach Evans, Tank Bigsby and Roschon Johnson are very good every down backs.

Others that are solid:
Gray OU
Mitchell ECU
Miller TCU (not a speedster but can run, catch and block)

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2023, 12:34 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Im not sure KC is as happy with him as they are their 7th rounder. 

There are so many good backs we can get in this draft.

If we keep Perine; Achane and Sean Tucker are incredible. Spears is pretty awesome.

Zach Evans, Tank Bigsby and Roschon Johnson are very good every down backs.

Others that are solid:
Gray OU
Mitchell ECU
Miller TCU (not a speedster but can run, catch and block)

Thats the reason. They have Pacheco and McKinnon so thats why I could feel you could get CEH for low value.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2023, 01:04 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Thats the reason. They have Pacheco and McKinnon so thats why I could feel you could get CEH for low value.

I get it and like the guy, but he would be in year 4 and doubtful that KC, or us, would pick up that 5th year option at 6M, whereas a rookie is way lower for 4 straight years.

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2023, 01:11 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I get it and like the guy, but he would be in year 4 and doubtful that KC, or us, would pick up that 5th year option at 6M, whereas a rookie is way lower for 4 straight years.

Fair enough. I forgot he was in year 4. For some reason I was thinking he was in 3.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 03:58 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Definitely re-sign Perine. He's very dependable and a good vet presence in the room.
Cut Mixon. He's far too inconsistent as a runner and inept as a blocker for the money he's making.
Look at a guy like Roschon Johnson in the draft. His ability in pass pro and blitz pickup would be valuable.

Personally, i'd lean toward ignoring RB in FA and the draft this year. I think they can afford it if they re-sign Perine and Williams and then Belichick it and go with the 3 headed monster of Perine, Williams and Evans. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Right now, until I see a better option, I am re-signing Perine for RB and Williams for kick returner. I haven't been overly impressed with Williams actually running the ball and I don't think he is the receiver we want our runners to be so if he can be adequately replaced then he can be released at final cuts

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Let Mixon finish his contract. He's got Chase money reserved. Draft/Develop a replacement this year for next year.

Not sure why sooo many of you want to keep blowing up a team that has already proven it can get to the SB. Just needs OL to be healthy for post-season
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2023, 11:10 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Bengals need a consistent run game more than anything. The past 2 years the running attack has been piss poor. It has to change. No more 3.6-4.1 yards per carry. It’s a complete hindrance

You can go longer than that. The entire Taylor era has been about the worst rushing performance you'll ever see from a team. 

2022: 29th overall, 29th per carry
2021: 23rd overall, 26th per carry
2020: 24th overall, 27th per carry
2019: 25th overall, 24th per carry

It's actually why I am shocked so many people want to re-sign Perine. Maybe it's just because they're judging him against Mixon rather than the NFL? He's a 240+ pound RB who is averaging just 1.7 yards per carry after contact. It's better than Mixon's 1.5 (34th among 41 qualified RBs) but it's still bad. If he had enough carries to qualify, it would be in the 25th-31st range.

Again, Perine's 4.1 YPC is better than Mixon's 3.9 (32nd of 41 qualified RBs) but even if he qualified he would still be between 28th and 31st. 

Neither of them do anything that you can't get from younger, cheaper, and likely better rookies.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 09:16 AM)WVUHomer Wrote: I was always in the draft RB round to replace Mixons salary. There is 6-7 starting caliber RBs (Bijan, Gibbs, McBride, Charbonnet, Spears, etc.) and all could rotate with Perine for what we pay Mix. That 4-6M cap savings could be huge for us going forward.

No need to waste a draft pick on an RB, we have 3 that are more than capable.  Cut or trade Mixon AFTER JUNE 1st. Keep Perine, Williams, and have Evans as the 3rd down back or when we want to go 5-wide.  Evans could play slot so he's more than capable to be a receiving RB.  That catch he had up in Cleveland on the first drive really had me scratching my head about why we don't throw the ball to him more. 
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2023, 04:54 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You can go longer than that. The entire Taylor era has been about the worst rushing performance you'll ever see from a team. 

2022: 29th overall, 29th per carry
2021: 23rd overall, 26th per carry
2020: 24th overall, 27th per carry
2019: 25th overall, 24th per carry

It's actually why I am shocked so many people want to re-sign Perine. Maybe it's just because they're judging him against Mixon rather than the NFL? He's a 240+ pound RB who is averaging just 1.7 yards per carry after contact. It's better than Mixon's 1.5 (34th among 41 qualified RBs) but it's still bad. If he had enough carries to qualify, it would be in the 25th-31st range.

Again, Perine's 4.1 YPC is better than Mixon's 3.9 (32nd of 41 qualified RBs) but even if he qualified he would still be between 28th and 31st. 

Neither of them do anything that you can't get from younger, cheaper, and likely better rookies.

Honestly, it started even before the Taylor era.  

Jeremy Hill looked like he was going to terrorize the league for years when he broke out in 2014.  

The 2015 came and he just wasn't the same guy despite his youth and a line that we'd all kill for today.  

Ever since then, for whatever reason, the line has been meh at run blocking.  I blame the odd shift to smaller more athletic tackles in the disastrous 2015 draft.  

Now, when Collins and Cappa were healthy, they were crushing guys in the run game. It's no coincidence that the team was probably at it's best during that stretch in November/December.  Collins has his problems, but there's no doubt that he was an absolute mauler in the run game.  I think losing him hurt more than some think.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2023, 04:34 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Personally, i'd lean toward ignoring RB in FA and the draft this year. I think they can afford it if they re-sign Perine and Williams and then Belichick it and go with the 3 headed monster of Perine, Williams and Evans. 

I think they need to add a back that is capable of pass protecting / blitz pickups, to go along with Perine. Mixon and Evans are useless in that department. That has to be a priority, IMO. If they do cut Mixon (which I think they should)...they'll have to add someone that gives them another competent option besides just Perine in terms of protection.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2023, 04:52 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Let Mixon finish his contract. He's got Chase money reserved. Draft/Develop a replacement this year for next year.

Not sure why sooo many of you want to keep blowing up a team that has already proven it can get to the SB. Just needs OL to be healthy for post-season

because the team that stays the same usually doesn't make the Super Bowl again.  EVERY team needs to replace aging or inconsistent players.  Every team needs to make cap decisions.  Mixon's biggest negative is his contract.  RB is just not the position you need to sink a lot of money into in today's NFL. Rookies and newer players are more effective at that position

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2023, 05:40 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I think they need to add a back that is capable of pass protecting / blitz pickups, to go along with Perine. Mixon and Evans are useless in that department. That has to be a priority, IMO. If they do cut Mixon (which I think they should)...they'll have to add someone that gives them another competent option besides just Perine in terms of protection.

I'm not up on who would fit best. What round and who?

As long as the focus is on the Oline first, i'm kind of apathetic right now on the rest. It can't be overstated how important it is to get the line right. Certainly, a good blocking RB is necessary but blocking up front is paramount.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2023, 05:45 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'm not up on who would fit best. What round and who?

As long as the focus is on the Oline first, i'm kind of apathetic right now on the rest. It can't be overstated how important it is to get the line right. Certainly, a good blocking RB is necessary but blocking up front is paramount.

I mentioned Roschon Johnson earlier. He might be the best back in the draft as far as pass pro / blitz pickup...and he's a hard nosed runner with some burst. Right now, he's probably a day 3 guy. Basically, that's where I would look...round 4 or later, for any back that is also a decent pass catcher and won't be a turnstile in protection. 
Reply/Quote
It may be time to move on from Mixon. Considering the production dip and the off field stuff. Tbh, I don't think it's necessary to take a RB early in the draft. Running doesn't seem to be a big priority for us, and a lot of teams find productive runners in the later rounds.

I'd feel fine with Perine and say, a 5th round pick. If that doesn't work out the best, we could probably find a 4 ypc back on the open market whenever. Tbh, I don't think what Mixon was doing was all that special anymore.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Perine,with Treyveon as a backup would be fine with me.I wouldn’t waste a draft pick unless a really good RB just happened to fall into my lap.

I think Mixon is as good as gone.

Next up?? Jonah Williams,Jesse Bates,and Tyler Boyd.
Reply/Quote