Poll: What do you want to see happen at RB?
Keep Mixon sign Perine and Trayveon
Keep Mixon and draft
Keep Mixon sign Perine and draft late
Keep Mixon sign Trayveon and draft late
Cut Mixon and draft
Cut Mixon sign Perine and draft
Cut Mixon sign Trayveon and draft
Cut Mixon sign Trayveon and Perine and maybe draft
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
RB Decision
(02-04-2023, 05:55 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I mentioned Roschon Johnson earlier. He might be the best back in the draft as far as pass pro / blitz pickup...and he's a hard nosed runner with some burst. Right now, he's probably a day 3 guy. Basically, that's where I would look...round 4 or later, for any back that is also a decent pass catcher and won't be a turnstile in protection. 

That's a plan i can get behind. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2023, 05:44 PM)pally Wrote: because the team that stays the same usually doesn't make the Super Bowl again.  EVERY team needs to replace aging or inconsistent players.  Every team needs to make cap decisions.  Mixon's biggest negative is his contract.  RB is just not the position you need to sink a lot of money into in today's NFL.  Rookies and newer players are more effective at that position

and we likely have some setbacks on Defense, so instead of keeping the O at it's best and getting more D help in draft there, you want to set the O back as well?
Mixon can catch and needs to be more of a threat there.
Reply/Quote
Drop Mixon and Evans, build around Perine. If you're drafting a RB get one whose scouting says they are a good pass protector.
Reply/Quote
Dump Mixon. Even before this incident I was on team cut him. He hasn't been that good, and I'd rather use the money towards more important players. We have to pay Bell, Wilson, Higgins, and Burrow. Perine is good enough to get a good number of snaps, plus he's MUCH better in pass protection. There's a salary cap, best to put the money to better uses.
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2023, 06:01 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: and we likely have some setbacks on Defense, so instead of keeping the O at it's best and getting more D help in draft there, you want to set the O back as well?
Mixon can catch and needs to be more of a threat there.

but to do what we need to do on defense we may need to dump Mixon's contract

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
we already have a draft forum on the board. But, the discussion around Tee involves his contract and potential trades, though a trade may involve draft picks, really isn't a specific draft topic

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I'd try to sign Barkley. Totally serious.

4 years 48 million.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2023, 10:08 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'd try to sign Barkley. Totally serious.

4 years 48 million.

I'd veto that move.  Plenty of quality backs in this draft.  KC just showed how to get in the SB with a 7th rounder.

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2023, 10:14 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I'd veto that move.  Plenty of quality backs in this draft.  KC just showed how to get in the SB with a 7th rounder.

Eagles just showed you can get to the SB with a 7th Round Left Tackle. 

I agree its easier to find running backs but that whole "you can get any position later round because of this guy" line is crap.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Cut Mixon, keep Perine, and pick up Saquon Barkley in free agency.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2023, 10:21 PM)Synric Wrote: Eagles just showed you can get to the SB with a 7th Round Left Tackle. 

I agree its easier to find running backs but that whole "you can get any position later round because of this guy" line is crap.

Lol, we cant evaluate oline players within a 200 mile radius.  No way we have the insight or eye for talent to grab a professional rugby player in Australia that has never played a down of football.  I think it is safe to assume Mailata is a rare but interesting case... the guy can sing too.

The RB group is quite deep this year in my opinion (not 7th round).  Roschon Johnson could be a decent replacement for Mixon, or if we resign Perine one of the very fast scat backs may work.

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2023, 10:30 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Cut Mixon, keep Perine, and pick up Saquon Barkley in free agency.

I like Saquon and wouldn't be pissed if they signed him.  Still, I kind of doubt they unburden themselves ion a 12 mil per running back to go out and sing another one.  

After Joe Mixon is gone, I think the days of running backs on big money deals in Cincy are over until the Burrow era concludes.  

I'd keep Perine to be the personal protector for Burrow a-la McKinnon.  After that I look to the draft.
Reply/Quote
For me to be ok with keeping Mixon you’d have to tell me Perine is pure ass and Perine is not pure ass. Perine is actually very good and likely gives you the same production Mixon gave us last year.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 04:31 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: So what do you want to do with Perine and Trayveon being FAs and Mixon being very expensive?

1. Keep Mixon sign Perine and Trayveon
2. Keep Mixon and draft
3. Keep Mixon sign Perine and draft late
4. Keep Mixon sign Trayveon and draft late
5. Cut Mixon and draft 
6. Cut Mixon sign Perine and draft
7. Cut Mixon sign Trayveon and draft  
8. Cut Mixon sign Trayveon and Perine and maybe draft

You get two votes. So a backup plan too

Easy for me, cut Mixon, sign Perine and draft a blitz picking up RB with good vision and hands.

I like Trayveon and he came on a bit this year so would also be for bringing him back, didn't see 8 when I voted.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2023, 05:40 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I think they need to add a back that is capable of pass protecting / blitz pickups, to go along with Perine. Mixon and Evans are useless in that department. That has to be a priority, IMO. If they do cut Mixon (which I think they should)...they'll have to add someone that gives them another competent option besides just Perine in terms of protection.

(02-04-2023, 05:55 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I mentioned Roschon Johnson earlier. He might be the best back in the draft as far as pass pro / blitz pickup...and he's a hard nosed runner with some burst. Right now, he's probably a day 3 guy. Basically, that's where I would look...round 4 or later, for any back that is also a decent pass catcher and won't be a turnstile in protection. 

Spot on as usual Holic. What team was Roschon Johnson on again?
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2023, 03:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Spot on as usual Holic. What team was Roschon Johnson on again?

Texas. Ran for 554, 5 TD's and 6 ypc behind Bijan Robinson this season.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2023, 04:02 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Texas. Ran for 554, 5 TD's and 6 ypc behind Bijan Robinson this season.

Oh yeah, saw him play a few times. Would be a nice grab in the mid rounds. Bijan is a beast but sometimes the guy behind the 
beast ends up being the better prospect. Blitz pickup is essential.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2023, 04:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Oh yeah, saw him play a few times. Would be a nice grab in the mid rounds. Bijan is a beast but sometimes the guy behind the 
beast ends up being the better prospect. Blitz pickup is essential.

Speaking of Bijan...imagining him in this offense would be wild, with his skills both running and receiving.  Mellow

It'll be interesting to see where he lands. The guy is a special player.
Reply/Quote
The only reason I’d be against Barkley would be because it would create a weird situation where you are a passing team but you have a back that realistically needs 20+ carries a game and no way in hell he’d get that here as Burrow is about to get PAID and Burrow loves to pass and if Saquon and Burrow both want the ball, Burrow is winning that argument 10/10 times.

So might as well get a bargain bin RB and use that money on TE or o line
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Seems pretty clear cut to me. Cut Mixon, designate him as post June 1, this will allow him the dignity of having maximum time to find a new home before the market is flooded. You sign Perine to a 2-3 year contract, get Evans more involved in the game plan, and plan on either signing a value free agent or spending a draft pick on your next featured back.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote