• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RB Stable with Mixon Gone
(05-20-2024, 03:28 PM)kevin Wrote: Chase Brown
Noah Cain
Elijah Collins
Chris Evans
Zack Moss
Trayveon Williams

I'll add that Bengals do not have a FB listed on team. Some NFL teams still like to have a FB.  Elijah Collins last week was listed by Bengals,com as a HB, and this week is only one listed as a RB.  Could the 6 foot, 220 pound rookie from Oklahoma State be the guy they might be looking at as a possible blocking back at goal line or 3rd and short.

Mixon is gone and he was a workhorse.  None of these names would be Fantasy Football early draft picks, but some have to step up, because the void left by Mixon gone needs filled.  It is an opportunity for somebody to be a #1 rusher on an NFL team.  Chase Brown showed flashes of promise. Moss can catch. It can't be all Joe Burrow every play, one of these dudes has to tear up NFL defenses a little.

To win in the AFC North, all 4 teams lean heavy on a running game.  The frozen North is not fast track West Coast sunshine states. The opportunity is there for one of these players to be a 1,000 yard rusher for Bengals in 2024.  A Star Is Born.

GO BENGALS

Tiger

- I have ZERO issues with the RB room. NONE. In fact, I actually really love what the Bengals did as far as salary allocation with the position. I think there's a ton of talent in that room that just needs put through a rotation to keep it fresh and opponents off balance. I also think they are much better now in pass pro, which - let's be honest - is what the Bengals are looking to do. Pass.

- On X there was a graph going around after the Bengals signed Moss. It showed the salary cap allocation % for the entire RB group of the last 15, or 18, or however many SB winners (it was a long enough list to be compelling). All but maybe 2 exceptions (Saints & Seahawks, IIRC) were under 3% of their salary cap spent for their ENTIRE RB room. Modern NFL games and championships are NOT won with big time RBs. They are won by running schemes and blocking.

Data over the last 20 years proves the above to be true. The Ravens got DESTROYED being a running team... IN THE COLD... AT HOME... when it mattered most... by a team with ZERO big name or emerging stud RBs - with an absolute master at QB. Not at RB.... at QB.

The Bengals season will go exactly how Joe Burrow goes.

^ THIS has been the NFL over the last 25 years. Manning & Brady were Magic & Bird to the league in terms of revolutionizing rules, play styles, etc. The league blew up MASSIVELY bigger than it already had under those Manning/Brady rivalries - the league knows this is the best way. It's all about star QBs now just like the NBA is all about their stars and has been for the last 40+ years.

- Sample is going to be a hybrid H-Back/TE. I have no issues with his position being a versatile blocking TE that can move into different spots on the LOS & behind the QB.

- Fantasy Football? Ummmmm.... huh? The Bengals don't NEED a #1 running back to win REAL football games. They need a RB scheme and blocking for that scheme. If those 2 things are good, any of the guys on your list can pick up the needed yards in any situation, even goal line.

- Only, this idea of AFCN football isn't actually true. Your description of the division is from 2008, 09, 10.

Recent history....

- Bengals back to back won the division throwing all over people.

- The Browns don't want to be a running team as evidenced by the HC (former pass heavy OC), their drafting, signings, & trades for non-RBs. It just looks that way because they've had to run because of their INSANE QB situation. But that's not how they are trying to build their roster. They threw Mayfield out of town not because he couldn't manage games... but because their HC/OC wants to throw the ball a ton and they didn't think he could do it.

- The Steelers had been throwing the ball all over people for YEARS with Ben and loading up non-RB skill spots. They recently just refused to 5th year option their "star #1" RB and will instead platoon that spot and go younger, non-name players moving forward.

- Ravens run the ball from the QB spot - totally NOT what you're describing in terms of needing a #1 RB. They run from the QB position because they HAVE TO due to Jackson A: Being AMAZING at it & B: NOT being able to throw as well as he would need to..... look at the NON-RB weapons the Ravens have signed, traded for, drafted since Lamar has been there.... NOTHING about that says RUN.

^ They signed Henry, sure, but that fell into their lap. I am not saying the Ravens aren't trying to go RB or run the ball heavy. I'm saying they they have to due to their QB, NOT because of their division.
Reply/Quote
didnt the ravens pass more than run that game they got destroyed?
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2024, 10:21 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: didnt the ravens pass more than run that game they got destroyed?

Which game are you talking about?
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2024, 10:24 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Which game are you talking about?

when they got beat down by the chiefs in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
I’m not that worried about the running back group. I’ll change my tune if moss or brown miss much time.

I do believe there will be decent running backs available after cuts for us to bring in a decent veteran or swing a trade around final cuts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2024, 10:36 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: when they got beat down by the chiefs in the playoffs.

Did they get beat down? They lost by seven, unless I am thinking of the wrong game. To answer your question, though, yes they did pass more than run. 37 passes to 16 rushes. 
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2024, 08:56 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Exactly, they would keep Joe Burrow much healthier and increase the effectiveness of the passing attack by forcing teams to respect the run.

For sure

That's my big thing. Get joe Burrow where he understands he doesn't have to put on the superman cape all game long every game. We don't have to run it 30 times a game. Just run more effectively and set up some play action. Convert more of those 3rd and 2-3 yards. Keep offense on field.

And a strong running game in the red zone changes everything.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2024, 10:21 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: didnt the ravens pass more than run that game they got destroyed?

Only 8 rushing attempts by their RBs.

(05-21-2024, 10:46 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Did they get beat down? They lost by seven, unless I am thinking of the wrong game.

Not a blowout, but they scored a TD with 5 minutes to go in the 1st quarter and then didn't score again until 2:30 left in the 4th quarter. They spent the first 27:30 of the second half down 17-7 despite being the 4th scoring offense in the NFL. I'd say that's a bit of a beatdown.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2024, 08:27 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The final 5 games of the season Chase Brown had 3.4ypc and in none of those games was he >4.0ypc.

Brown is explosive, but he's not that good.  His vision is terrible, he takes a lot of negative plays dancing in the backfield, and he hasn't earned trust as a blocker, either.  

He's certainly worth giving some touches to to see if he can break one, as he is a monster in the open field.  If he can develop as a blocker and someone can get into his head that every play isn't going to be a home run and sometimes you've just gotta cram it into the LoS and try to get a yard or two instead of dancing around and losing three, he might be something.  Time will tell.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2024, 12:55 PM)Whatever Wrote: Brown is explosive, but he's not that good.  His vision is terrible, he takes a lot of negative plays dancing in the backfield, and he hasn't earned trust as a blocker, either.  

He's certainly worth giving some touches to to see if he can break one, as he is a monster in the open field.  If he can develop as a blocker and someone can get into his head that every play isn't going to be a home run and sometimes you've just gotta cram it into the LoS and try to get a yard or two instead of dancing around and losing three, he might be something.  Time will tell.

Wow, you're extrapolating a lot, from a guy who was given a whopping 44 carries last season.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2024, 01:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Wow, you're extrapolating a lot, from a guy who was given a whopping 44 carries last season.

I mean, Tanner Hudson had 50 targets last year and folks penciled him in as the starting TE.  Not to mention Yoshi and Jones.

My observations are based on what he was given opportunity to show last year.  It's possible he may dance less in the backfield next year with more carries, or he may not.  It's also very possible that he doesn't have as many explosive plays per touch due to fatigue and defenses keying on him more.  
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2024, 03:56 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Still can't believe they didn't draft a RB. That's a bad RB room.

Whose are better? Leave out the ones because of an All-Pro or obvious ones like SF.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(05-21-2024, 02:16 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Whose are better? Leave out the ones because of an All-Pro or obvious ones like SF.

So you're asking minus all the ones who are better, who is better?     Hilarious

- - - - -
EDIT:
Probably...
Everyone in the AFC besides the Patriots, Texans, Raiders, and Broncos.
Everyone in the NFC besides the Cowboys, Giants, Buccaneers, Saints, and Panthers (the NFCS is so bad).

...so 10th worst RB room?

Reply/Quote
(05-21-2024, 02:16 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Whose are better? Leave out the ones because of an All-Pro or obvious ones like SF.

How much time you got?

We can save a lot of time just by naming teams the Bengals have a better RB room than.
Reply/Quote

We have an unproven guy, a ST guy, and Zach Moss. They might be ok, but I can't say I feel great about that room. Looks like the worst RB room in our division if nothing else. I think we're banking on Brown taking the next step.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2024, 01:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Wow, you're extrapolating a lot, from a guy who was given a whopping 44 carries last season.

Yup

C. Brown showed some promise last season for sure. And how he got that much out of his limited snaps ??? I'm hoping there's more untapped potential. And Z. Moss is solid but not a game changer.

But put me in the camp with the guys that wish we'd have drafted a mid round RB. After those two and one is unproven, we don't have much.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2024, 12:55 PM)Whatever Wrote: Brown is explosive, but he's not that good.  His vision is terrible, he takes a lot of negative plays dancing in the backfield, and he hasn't earned trust as a blocker, either.  

Brown is better than you say, especially with his vision and so called dancing in the backfield when poor blocking is the problem.

If there is a complaint I have about Brown's game it is that he isn't strong enough to break that many tackles. It isn't his vision or dancing 
in the backfield, that was Mixon's problem. Brown gets up to speed very quickly, great acceleration and when he sees a hole and hits it he 
could be gone at any moment as long as he doesn't encounter a good tackler.

Like Sunset said, 44 carries is like a couple games for Mixon, need to see more than that to say he isn't that good lol
Reply/Quote
The RB room was in dire need of an overhaul and it got one.

Mixon had reached the end of his rope here. Not just the inability to pass block but the constant failure to either make the first defender miss or break the first tackle. He left a goodly large amount of yards and points on the field courtesy to going down easily to solo tackle attempts. And his running style which favors the edge is not compatible with the OL strengths which point to inside running.

Enter Zack Moss. Upper Tier in pass protection, Upper Tier also in Yards After Contact. Actually hard to bring down and churns out extra yards. I'll GLADLY trade a bit of top end speed for those traits. His running style also aligns well with our offense. Chase Brown meanwhile is our "lightning" and this season I am hoping they blend him in better to the scheme.

Not sure about Trayveon Williams if he sticks but I think Chris Evans may be the cut. My long odds special is Noah Cain makes the team - he is basically a hammer and a good compliment to the others.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2024, 04:09 PM)Joelist Wrote: The RB room was in dire need of an overhaul and it got one.

Is changing 1 guy in the group considered an overhaul?

Reply/Quote
(05-21-2024, 04:28 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Is changing 1 guy in the group considered an overhaul?

One so far. We could easily see Chase Brown being the only holdover from last season. And the one they changed had the lions share of the snaps. 
Reply/Quote