Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
REDS MAY GAME THREAD
(05-23-2022, 09:03 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Votto is definitely key, it changes how the opposing pitchers throws to the whole lineup. Even though we aren't a playoff team, I'll be rooting for Votto to duplicate what he did last season. I want to see the guy secure a HoF career.

As much as I've bitched about Votto I too would still love to see him go on a mini tear and get back up to a respectable BA and 25-30 HR's, knock in 85 or so. If he goes back to 2018/19 form for next two years it's gonna put a large damper on his HOF chances.

Like you say he's really the key.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I am going to predict a Reds win tonight against the Cubs. Look for that sea of blue in the stands as Chicago fans will take over GABP.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Hey Nick Senzel is back for a 3 game stint before going back on the 10 day IL again.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2022, 08:18 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Hey Nick Senzel is back for a 3 game stint before going back on the 10 day IL again.

Repped. I chuckled.

In Senzel's defense, most of his injuries appear to come from slamming into the outfield wall chasing a lot of very hard hit balls. It's kind of sad because they moved him into the outfield because *ahem* "Suarez isn't going anywhere" at Senzel's natural position of 3B. I believe India played his first ever year at 2B because of that same reason. Now they're there because of Moustakis, I guess.

After they escape Votto's contract, they can try building a team again, but until then, they're being drug down by that albatross.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2022, 11:17 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Repped. I chuckled.

In Senzel's defense, most of his injuries appear to come from slamming into the outfield wall chasing a lot of very hard hit balls. It's kind of sad because they moved him into the outfield because *ahem* "Suarez isn't going anywhere" at Senzel's natural position of 3B. I believe India played his first ever year at 2B because of that same reason. Now they're there because of Moustakis, I guess.

After they escape Votto's contract, they can try building a team again, but until then, they're being drug down by that albatross.

I'm probably a little rough on the guy but wow he goes on the IL every time you look up. I'd love it if the guy could stay on the field and be what we all thought he was gonna be 3 or 4 years ago.

But I highly doubt that's gonna happen.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2022, 11:23 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm probably a little rough on the guy but wow he goes on the IL every time you look up. I'd love it if the guy could stay on the field and be what we all thought he was gonna be 3 or 4 years ago.

But I highly doubt that's gonna happen.

Oh, shit no. Rip away at him. He was their minor league savior that they played small club politic BS with the "bring him up after a certain date to keep one more year of control" . . . Well, Reds. Are you glad you went through that BS with fans, player and agent for this? A player struggling to stay on the field and that's just to play as a slightly below average major leaguer.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2022, 09:32 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The younger pitchers are the only reason I can talk myself into watching them. 

LOL

I had this called up to respond while working in my home studio a few days and got a phone call "Dude. Your station is off the air." I just took off. Went downstairs to get back to more editing and when I woke up the computer, this quote was still there.

I totally get that and I would have watched it live . . . BUT . . . I've seen Manoah pitch before and when he's on, he's Greg Maddux level. He's 5-1 with a 1.62 ERA in only his second season, 14-3 with a 2.73 ERA for his career in 38 starts. If he stays healthy, this kid is the next pitching star. He already understands that pitching is much more than just throwing hard.

Now take what I think about his pitching, this Reds lineup, David Bell, and mix in the ability to skip ahead on a game that's already over. I like Hunter Greene, and probably should enjoy his pitching while I can, but I didn't want to sit through what I knew was going to be a bunch of 1, 2, 3 innings strung together. They pulled him after 8 innings and only 83 pitches. He did what I expected him to do.

Fun facts
If you omit the 1W-20L stretch, the Reds are 11-9.

They are currently only 16.5 games behind the Yankees who have a half of a game lead over the Dodgers for best record in baseball. It somehow feels like it should be bigger.

In early June, after coming back from a brief two game road trip to Boston, the Reds host a four game series against the Washington Nationals, who are only 1 game ahead of the Reds in the standings with a 14-29 record.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2022, 05:00 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: LOL

I had this called up to respond while working in my home studio a few days and got a phone call "Dude. Your station is off the air." I just took off. Went downstairs to get back to more editing and when I woke up the computer, this quote was still there.

I totally get that and I would have watched it live . . . BUT . . . I've seen Manoah pitch before and when he's on, he's Greg Maddux level. He's 5-1 with a 1.62 ERA in only his second season, 14-3 with a 2.73 ERA for his career in 38 starts. If he stays healthy, this kid is the next pitching star. He already understands that pitching is much more than just throwing hard.

Now take what I think about his pitching, this Reds lineup, David Bell, and mix in the ability to skip ahead on a game that's already over. I like Hunter Greene, and probably should enjoy his pitching while I can, but I didn't want to sit through what I knew was going to be a bunch of 1, 2, 3 innings strung together. They pulled him after 8 innings and only 83 pitches. He did what I expected him to do.

Fun facts
If you omit the 1W-20L stretch, the Reds are 11-9.

They are currently only 16.5 games behind the Yankees who have a half of a game lead over the Dodgers for best record in baseball. It somehow feels like it should be bigger.

In early June, after coming back from a brief two game road trip to Boston, the Reds host a four game series against the Washington Nationals, who are only 1 game ahead of the Reds in the standings with a 14-29 record.

Greene seems to be getting dialed in just same old story, no run support. That Overton pitched a good game few days ago but I didn't realize he's already 28. Late bloomer ?

I'm still hoping Lodolo ca develop into something ? Castillo just gets under my skin at times. I'm no pitching expert by any stretch but it seems to me he just tries to be to cute. Looks like he's trying to aim the ball and he ends up throwing to many balls off the plate.

Seems to me Mahle is like a #4 or 5 starter at best. And I can't speak any about the 25 bullpen guys they have.

Aquino had 2 HR's last night so he's probably done hitting for a week or two ?
Reply/Quote
Mahle struggling.....bad
Reply/Quote
Goodnight Reds Mahle getting rocked !
Reply/Quote
Beat 2 days in a row by the Cubbies. Here we go again with a losing streak. lol
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2022, 08:49 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Goodnight Reds Mahle getting rocked !

I just dumped him on my Fantast Team.   He put up minus 25 points.  Over the season he is putting up almost no Fantasy Points and in real life has is giving up 5 runs a game as an ERA.   He's just another brick in the wall to why the Reds are around 20 games under .500

If Reds do not win the next 2 games against Cubs, then they will have lost both series since the return of Joey Votto, after going 2 weeks without losing a series without Votto.  Some could say don't put it all on Votto, the highest paid Red ever.  I will put it on Votto and say the team wins more when he is on IL than when he plays. This is not the first season the Reds have won more when Votto is on IL. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2022, 02:28 AM)kevin Wrote: I just dumped him on my Fantast Team.   He put up minus 25 points.  Over the season he is putting up almost no Fantasy Points and in real life has is giving up 5 runs a game as an ERA.   He's just another brick in the wall to why the Reds are around 20 games under .500

If Reds do not win the next 2 games against Cubs, then they will have lost both series since the return of Joey Votto, after going 2 weeks without losing a series without Votto.  Some could say don't put it all on Votto, the highest paid Red ever.  I will put it on Votto and say the team wins more when he is on IL than when he plays. This is not the first season the Reds have won more when Votto is on IL. 

Well these two loses vs Cubs have been more on the pitching staff than Votto. However I agree that Votto isn't helping the team win much.
Reply/Quote
Votto certainly isn't playing well, but even if he were the outcomes would be the same, another L. The alternative, Moran with 4 HRs, .202 AVG, and a .635 OPS isn't exactly stellar talent.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2022, 09:15 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Votto certainly isn't playing well, but even if he were the outcomes would be the same, another L. The alternative, Moran with 4 HRs, .202 AVG, and a .635 OPS isn't exactly stellar talent.

Yes that's the thing. Other than a game here and there, there's not many instances of anybody helping the team win much.

In the 1st Cubs game I watched a good bit of it. I can't remember for sure who the two were (to many new names) but both were RH batters and both were swinging at pitches that just blew my mind  Shocked Balls bouncing two feet in front of home plate, balls a foot and a half outside ! They were handing the opposing pitcher his game on a silver platter. The pitches were never in the strike zone from the second they left the pitchers hand.

Wasn't a hit and run scenario or anything. You just can't win ball games when you're giving away outs like that. Had nothing to do with Votto's struggling.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2022, 12:25 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yes that's the thing. Other than a game here and there, there's not many instances of anybody helping the team win much.

In the 1st Cubs game I watched a good bit of it. I can't remember for sure who the two were (to many new names) but both were RH batters and both were swinging at pitches that just blew my mind  Shocked Balls bouncing two feet in front of home plate, balls a foot and a half outside ! They were handing the opposing pitcher his game on a silver platter. The pitches were never in the strike zone from the second they left the pitchers hand.

Wasn't a hit and run scenario or anything. You just can't win ball games when you're giving away outs like that. Had nothing to do with Votto's struggling.

It's an all around frustrating team to watch. Missing India hurts and makes the offense less fun to watch. At least Greene has had some good moments lately on the mound.
Reply/Quote
It's not like they're missing Winker and Suarez. In an attempt to jump start Winker, he led off last night and got two singles in five at bats to bring his average up to a measly .219 while Suarez went 0-4 to drop to .222. Winker also picked up his first error of the season.

Barnhart went 0-3 but sits at a respectable .253 as he's back to being a switch hitter again.

Castellanos went 1-5 to drop to .255. May have dodged a bullet when he opted out.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
Might have a cycle watch on our hands. Votto so far is 2-2 with a homer and a triple.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2022, 09:03 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Might have a cycle watch on our hands. Votto so far is 2-2 with a homer and a triple.

Votto had a triple ? WOW
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2022, 09:05 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Votto had a triple ? WOW

It both awesome and funny watching him leg it out.
Reply/Quote