Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
REDS MAY GAME THREAD
Ten pitch 7th, Greene's no-no continues.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
They're going to have a combined no hitter and lose the damn game.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2022, 05:06 PM)cinci4life Wrote: They're going to have a combined no hitter and lose the damn game.

That’s the most “Reds” thing I’ve ever seen lmao….”where you gonna go?”
Reply/Quote
There it is. 8 no-hit innings and we lose 1-0.
Reply/Quote
Really don't get bringing Greene back out in the 8th. I get the situation but being over 100 pitches already it was a stupid move.
Reply/Quote
Guess I shoulda kept my mouth shut ? Just gave them props for finally starting to hit and they fall flat on their face and blow a great outing by Greene.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2022, 05:52 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Really don't get bringing Greene back out in the 8th. I get the situation but being over 100 pitches already it was a stupid move
Or maybe they should have let Greene try to finish the game and give him 5 days rest before his next game, pitching him on Saturday or Sunday next weekend.  How many chances do you get to pitch a No Hitter ?   Greene had a No Hitter going when they pulled him during the 8th. The Reds reliever came in and walked the bases loaded and a Pirate scored on a fielders choice as Reds unable to throw home for an out, or turn the double play from 2nd to 1st.  So the runner on 3rd scored and charged to Greene who had walked him.  So Greene pitches over 8 innings of No Hit ball and still gets saddled with The Loss.

The Reds gave up no more runs in the 8th, but Reds scored no runs in the 9th or all game.  So Greene and the reliever who came in did combine for a No Hitter, but Reds Lost in a 1 to 0 ball game.  Something you almost never see, a team losing a No Hitter. 

I didn't think much of the reliever Reds brought in.  Greene was not missing the strike zone by much in the 8th.  Maybe Green should have been able to finish the inning.  Hate to see Greene lose a No Hitter that way. 

Then again, had they left Green in longer, he probably loses the No Hitter anyway, since Reds didn't score any runs in 9 innings.  Even if Greene had pitched 9 innings for a No Hitter, it still would have been 0 to 0 going into extra innings. 

There is one upside.  Greene did pitch into the 8th with No Hits and 9 K's.   Maybe Greene is starting to get use to being in the Major League. 

So Reds split the series.  A shame they didn't get a Win when Reds pitchers tossed a No Hitter. 

Oh Yes, Quintana pitched a great game for Pirates also.  He has been hot last few weeks. 

Greene did leave the game at about 115 pitches. Reds manager was trying to let his No Hitter be a WIN for Greene. Just never happened. Greene should be OK for his next outing, he didn't go that much over 100, and Reds have an Off Day Monday for an extra day for Starting Rotation Rest.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2022, 05:16 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: That’s the most “Reds” thing I’ve ever seen lmao….”where you gonna go?”

If you're going to do something you might as well be notorious for it.

Give up no hits and lose the game.  Only the 6th time in league history.  Well done Reds.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2022, 07:42 PM)kevin Wrote:  
The Reds gave up no more runs in the 8th, but Reds scored no runs in the 9th or all game.  So Greene and the reliever who came in did combine for a No Hitter, but Reds Lost in a 1 to 0 ball game.  Something you almost never see, a team losing a No Hitter. 

That's the biggest part of my point. Reds had no runs either which makes the no hitter bid meaningless at that point. Let's say he does stay in and get out of it. He's likely well over 120 pitches and likely not back for the 9th either way. He realistically had no chance for a 9 inning no hitter with no Reds runs on the board so no need to bring him back out.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2022, 07:42 PM)kevin Wrote: Or maybe they should have let Greene try to finish the game and give him 5 days rest before his next game, pitching him on Saturday or Sunday next weekend.  

I'm not opposed to letting a pitcher try and finish a game, even if it ups their pitch count. Bell did allow Greene to go out for the 8th. It was clear he was gassed when the walks started. I think Bell properly managed this one. He gave Greene his chance and then acted when it appeared Greene didn't have anything left.

It might have been advantageous to let a different pitcher start the the 8th but I'm not criticizing Bell for what he did.
Reply/Quote
THE GOOD NEWS is The Reds have not Lost a series in a week and a half. 2 wins and a split. BEAT CLEVELAND starting Tuesday.

The Goal should be to climb to 10 under .500, then 5 under .500, then .500, but the the goal at this time should be to climb to 10 under .500

Yes, the Reds had a lousy start to season, but if they can keep putting up wins, there is 4 and a half months left of regular season to climb the ladder Of course you do that by getting series wins.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
The Reds have a decent team on paper. The problem is the performance on the field. The pitching is picking up and there was some hitting recently. We are headed in the right direction. Let's beat Cleveland this week.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Double digits in the win column yipeee
Reply/Quote
When is Bell going to realize that Art Warren is like Lorenzen. 6th inning or earlier. He's not built for high pressure situations late in the game. That's twice he's blown a game for Overton and made Greene a loser with a no-hitter.

This is what I mean about Dumb Bell having ZERO feel for the game of baseball.

Is anyone buying into this "covid rehab" bullshit story with Votto? I will give Bell credit for yanking him to get him more time to get caught up to speed because he was killing this club but he didn't test positive and he's out for weeks? Smells fishy.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Votto has something else going on. Remember when he disappeared for a month or so a few years ago? Whatever it is the press has been silent. I suspect maybe he is manic depressive or some other mental illness.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
I'm thinking it's time to hand the closer role to Diaz.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2022, 11:09 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: When is Bell going to realize that Art Warren is like Lorenzen. 6th inning or earlier. He's not built for high pressure situations late in the game. That's twice he's blown a game for Overton and made Greene a loser with a no-hitter.

This is what I mean about Dumb Bell having ZERO feel for the game of baseball.

Is anyone buying into this "covid rehab" bullshit story with Votto? I will give Bell credit for yanking him to get him more time to get caught up to speed because he was killing this club but he didn't test positive and he's out for weeks? Smells fishy.

(05-18-2022, 12:51 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Votto has something else going on. Remember when he disappeared for a month or so a few years ago? Whatever it is the press has been silent. I suspect maybe he is manic depressive or some other mental illness.

Yes something is up with Votto, what it is ??? Here's part of the injury report:

In two games as Louisville’s designated hitter, Votto was 1-for-4 with three walks, one RBI and two strikeouts. At Dayton, he is slated to play first base.

The timing of Votto’s potential reinstatement could coincide with the Reds’ final three games of this road trip, in his hometown of Toronto on May 20-22. -- Mark Sheldon

Perhaps he's thinking getting a fresh start on this season in his hometown will revive him ?
Reply/Quote
Reds WON opener with Cleveland. That gives Reds a chance to WIN Cleveland series. That would mean Reds haven't lost a series in 14 days.

I'll also make a comment on Votto. Reds started winning when Votto was out of the line-up. This is not the first season where Reds got hot when Votto was out of the line-up. When Votto comes back, that means they have to sit somebody who is helping Reds win. I am in no big hurry for Votto to return. Votto was struggling badly during Reds awful April and stat to May. Moose and Moran got hot playing with Votto taking a seat.

So while others wonder about Votto as always, I am more into the Reds winning the last 2 weeks. Votto is the highest paid Red ever, and I have been saying trade him for years. His contract finally runs out in 2024 or 2025, so we are getting to the end of it. Close enough that Reds can start planning spreading that money around to other player contracts in a few years. Just as when Griffey Jr left, the Reds got better, so it will be with Votto. I would hope Reds stay away from Griffey and Votto type contracts in the future. Why fans love to be in Last Place as they hero worship one high paid player past his prime is beyond me. Cincinnati is a small city franchise compared to New York or LA, even if some fans never grasp that. For Cincinnati to Win, they have to have Pitching and Defense and Clutch Hitting, most young players from the Minors, but also some old Vets on The Cheap. Reds Manager Jack McKeon went to Marlins and turned a losing team around to win the World Series in same year, and when asked about his old team Reds, McKeon said he would have never spent the money to get Griffey Jr.

BEAT CLEVELAND.....Reds are starting to WIN with Pitching, Defense, Clutch Hitting, mostly from the Minors, but some old Vets kind of on The Cheap. Notice they are winning without Votto, and this is not the first season they started winning without Votto. Luckily Reds are getting closer to the end of the Votto Contract. A couple more years, but it is no longer 10 years or 5 years left.

Certainly when Votto returns, I hope he earns some of his paycheck. His return will force somebody to get cut from the Reds. I kind of like the players who are helping the Reds win the last 2 weeks while Votto has been out.

I can explain this in term Bengal Fans can grasp. Dalton to AJ Green was good in it's day, but that day had passed. Look at what happened when Bengals could spend their contracts on new players, Super Bowl. Dusty Baker got credit for Reds starting to win, but really it was Griffey Jr and his contract running out and using that cash on new players. The Reds getting closer to the end of The Votto Contract is also a good thing. The Reds have some good Minor League Players moving up FAST, and Reds need a NEW DAY and Bengals needed a NEW DAY. WHO DEY to The NEW DAY. There comes a time when you have to go with Youth and a bunch of New, Good Players if you want to climb out of Last Place and Start Winning......However NFL TV Revenue Sharing puts Cincinnati Bengals in better shape to compete with New York and LA, than MLB and cities like Cincinnati. The Reds need to live on a Low Budget, but The Tampa Rays have shown it is very possible to beat The New York Yankees with a Low Budget Team. MLB forces small franchise cities such as Cincinnati to copy Tampa, not New York or LA.

Again, Reds winning yesterday gives Reds a chance to Win Cleveland Series. That would mean Reds haven't lost a series in 14 days. KEEP IT GOING. GO REDS.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2022, 02:30 PM)kevin Wrote: Reds WON opener with Cleveland.  That gives Reds a chance to WIN Cleveland series.  That would mean Reds haven't lost a series in 14 days.  

I'll also make a comment on Votto.  Reds started winning when Votto was out of the line-up.  This is not the first season where Reds got hot when Votto was out of the line-up.  When Votto comes back, that means they have to sit somebody who is helping Reds win.  I am in no big hurry for Votto to return.  Votto was struggling badly during Reds awful April and stat to May.  Moose and Moran got hot playing with Votto taking a seat.  

I'd say Votto's last hurrah was 2021. He had a great stretch with Reds but I'm afraid his time is quickly coming to an end. I'm hoping he retires.
Reply/Quote
Reds swept Cleveland for first time ever. So Reds have not lost a series in 14 days.

and yet Votto returns, as Reds announcers mention Moran will have to go the bench. Senzel is about ready to return and the guy who has been playing great center field also goes to bench or gets cut. So the players that have had Reds winning the last 2 weeks are about to get bumped by the returning players who had Reds losing all of April. Also they are going to Toronto who is one tough team.

Right now, Moran is a better hitter than Votto, and the teams has been winning. This is what I will never understand about baseball. They will break up a winning team, and go right back to the team that was losing all of April, with Votto all out of whack at the plate, but people just LOVE his new podcasts.

Reds swept Cleveland and haven't lost a series in 14 days, so by all means, bench the players that are winning, and bring back the players who lost all April, and most Reds Fans think it sounds just wonderful. Myself, I liked the players who have been winning the last 14 days. So they will bench Moran and bat Votto high in the order even though he is batting around .100 with no power numbers. That changes the line-up completely if we go back to Votto in April slamming his helmet in the dugout after every out over his batting slump funk. Moran was flat out hitting better during Reds winning last 2 weeks. I guess Votto walks on water.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote