Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RETURN OF THE OFFENSIVE COORDINATORS
Hue Jackson and Jay Gruden in back to back weeks.....Some familiar faces on the other sidelines coming up.....I'm thinking back in history of Bengals on playing ex coaches. Certainly playing Bill Walsh in the Super Bowl and in other regular season games sits at the top. I don't think we ever played a Sam Wyche team. Well, certainly playing LeBeau in all those Steelers games and why was he so much better with Steelers than here. He was a great player and a great coach, just not here. ......but in Bengals History I do not remember us ever playing anything like this back to back games of very good offensive coordinators who just recently got us to the play-offs. Both helped coach up young Dalton and Green and so many new players since 2011, Both built what we come to know as the Bengals offense in our 5 straight play-off seasons. Both worked under Coach Lewis. Zampese worked under them..The NFL development of some of these Bengals players Coached UP is due in great part to them. .......So we can look at the need for wins, and wins we need....We can look at The Battle For Ohio....We can look at the Trip To London......But I've never seen the Bengals play back to back good ex coaches that just left before. I'm sure Paul Brown must have in Cleveland, maybe. This is what comes from winning, good coaches get promotions on other teams. After the 1981 Super Bowl our coaches got promotions on other teams. ......Playing Hue Jackson and Jay Gruden teams back to back is historic. I've never seen Bengals play 2 good ex coaches back to back before.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Seems to me Bengal head coaches have very little control over hiring assistant coaches, as M Brown insists on retaining the old familiar staff. That would explain Lebeaus' crummy tenure here.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2016, 04:44 PM)kevin Wrote: Hue Jackson and Jay Gruden in back to back weeks.....Some familiar faces on the other sidelines coming up.....I'm thinking back in history of Bengals on playing ex coaches.  Certainly playing Bill Walsh in the Super Bowl and in other regular season games sits at the top.  I don't think we ever played a Sam Wyche team.  Well, certainly playing LeBeau in all those Steelers games and why was he so much better with Steelers than here. He was a great player and a great coach, just not here. ......but in Bengals History I do not remember us ever playing anything like this back to back games of very good offensive coordinators who just recently got us to the play-offs. Both helped coach up young Dalton and Green and so many new players since 2011, Both built what we come to know as the Bengals offense in our 5 straight play-off seasons.  Both worked under Coach Lewis.  Zampese worked under them..The NFL development of some of these Bengals players Coached UP is due in great part to them. .......So we can look at the need for wins, and wins we need....We can look at The Battle For Ohio....We can look at the Trip To London......But I've never seen the Bengals play back to back good ex coaches that just left before.  I'm sure Paul Brown must have in Cleveland, maybe. This is what comes from winning, good coaches get promotions on other teams. After the 1981 Super Bowl our coaches got promotions on other teams. ......Playing Hue Jackson and Jay Gruden teams back to back is historic.  I've never seen Bengals play 2 good ex coaches back to back before.

Lost to Sam @Tampa in '95. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2016, 07:58 PM)Sabretooth Wrote: Seems to me Bengal head coaches have very little control over hiring assistant coaches, as M  Brown insists on retaining the old familiar staff. That would explain Lebeaus' crummy tenure here.

I had the same thoughts while reading the Coughlin thread. Mikey would say who the assistant coaches are. YIKES!!! Cry
Reply/Quote
I predict Zampese will never face Cincinnati as an opposing head coach.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
It may not be back to back to back but don't forget we'll be playing our former DC in the Super Bowl this year. ThumbsUp
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2016, 04:44 PM)kevin Wrote: Hue Jackson and Jay Gruden in back to back weeks.....Some familiar faces on the other sidelines coming up.....I'm thinking back in history of Bengals on playing ex coaches.  Certainly playing Bill Walsh in the Super Bowl and in other regular season games sits at the top.  I don't think we ever played a Sam Wyche team.  Well, certainly playing LeBeau in all those Steelers games and why was he so much better with Steelers than here. He was a great player and a great coach, just not here. ......but in Bengals History I do not remember us ever playing anything like this back to back games of very good offensive coordinators who just recently got us to the play-offs. Both helped coach up young Dalton and Green and so many new players since 2011, Both built what we come to know as the Bengals offense in our 5 straight play-off seasons.  Both worked under Coach Lewis.  Zampese worked under them..The NFL development of some of these Bengals players Coached UP is due in great part to them. .......So we can look at the need for wins, and wins we need....We can look at The Battle For Ohio....We can look at the Trip To London......But I've never seen the Bengals play back to back good ex coaches that just left before.  I'm sure Paul Brown must have in Cleveland, maybe. This is what comes from winning, good coaches get promotions on other teams. After the 1981 Super Bowl our coaches got promotions on other teams. ......Playing Hue Jackson and Jay Gruden teams back to back is historic.  I've never seen Bengals play 2 good ex coaches back to back before.

Good observation, and I expect both of them to out coach Marvin. Let's hope our talent advantage is enough to offset the coaching disadvantage in both games. 
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
We blew out Leslie Frazier's Vikings in '13.
Reply/Quote
Went 1-2 against Coslet's Jets.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2016, 08:54 PM)xxlt Wrote: Good observation, and I expect both of them to out coach Marvin. Let's hope our talent advantage is enough to offset the coaching disadvantage in both games. 

Zimmer I can understand.  But can you explain why you think Gruden is a better head coach than Marvin?

He went 9-7 last year without a single win over a team with a winning record.  In '14 he was 4-12.  This year he is 4-2, but only has one win against a team with a winning record.
Reply/Quote
Beat Forrest Gregg's packers in '86.
Reply/Quote

Never seen it either. Looking for us to demolish both of these guys, but both games will probably be tighter than i would like.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2016, 12:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Zimmer I can understand.  But can you explain why you think Gruden is a better head coach than Marvin?

He went 9-7 last year without a single win over a team with a winning record.  In '14 he was 4-12.  This year he is 4-2, but only has one win against a team with a winning record.

Because he is performing those miracles in D.C.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2016, 01:06 PM)xxlt Wrote: Because he is performing those miracles in D.C.

Redskins won 10 games (more than Gruden ever has) in 2012.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2016, 01:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Redskins won 10 games (more than Gruden ever has) in 2012.

Yeah, and the Redskins also had RGIII looking like an amazing rookie (even winning the ROY award when Luck was a rookie too). Plus they had the #2 running back in the league... If AP didn't have a 2100 yard year that year Morris could have been first. Plus they were in a super weak division that year. The Redskins from 2009 until Gruden took over (2014) were 28-52 and that's including the 10-6 record they had in 2012. You always have to try and reach and spin things Fred.... You spin me right round, baby, right round like a record....
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2016, 01:48 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Yeah, and the Redskins also had RGIII looking like an amazing rookie (even winning the ROY award when Luck was a rookie too). Plus they had the #2 running back in the league... If AP didn't have a 2100 yard year that year Morris could have been first. Plus they were in a super weak division that year. The Redskins from 2009 until Gruden took over (2014) were 28-52 and that's including the 10-6 record they had in 2012. You always have to try and reach and spin things Fred.... You spin me right round, baby, right round like a record....

Nice post Brownshoe, well said. These facts have to be taken into consideration.

Jay has done a good job in Washington...
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2016, 02:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice post Brownshoe, well said. These facts have to be taken into consideration.

Jay has done a good job in Washington...

I forgot to add that in 2014 when Gruden took over he had to start 3 different QBs. RGIII got hurt and they had to take Cousins off of the bench... Cousins wasn't playing so hot so they put Colt McCoy in for a few games... Ouch. No matter what coach you are if you have the lack of talent the Redskins had that year and you can't keep a QB on the field that spells trouble. The fact that he rebounded a year later and won the division is huge. It's something Marvin Lewis could probably never do.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2016, 01:48 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Yeah, and the Redskins also had RGIII looking like an amazing rookie (even winning the ROY award when Luck was a rookie too). Plus they had the #2 running back in the league... If AP didn't have a 2100 yard year that year Morris could have been first. Plus they were in a super weak division that year. The Redskins from 2009 until Gruden took over (2014) were 28-52 and that's including the 10-6 record they had in 2012. You always have to try and reach and spin things Fred.... You spin me right round, baby, right round like a record....

Marvin took over a worse team than Gruden and went 21-17 over his first 38 games.

Gruden is 17-21.  He did make the playoffs last year, but he had a ridiculous easy schedule that had only THREE games against teams with winning records.  He lost all 3.  

Marvin was only 8-8 in his second season but he had a brutal schedule with 9 games against teams with winning records.  He won 2 of those 9 games.
Reply/Quote

Pretty much sums it up. Especially the 28-52 part. And, Brownshoe didn't mention it, so I will go ahead and add two words: Dan Snyder.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2016, 02:07 PM)Brownshoe Wrote:  The fact that he rebounded a year later and won the division is huge. It's something Marvin Lewis could probably never do.

Right because Marvin has never rebounded from a losing season to win the division or make the playoffs. Rolleyes
Reply/Quote