Poll: RG - James Daniels or Austin Corbett?
Daniels
Corbett
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RG - Daniels or Corbett?
Two guys that probably make a ton of sense to bring in to upgrade the RG position are James Daniels (CHI) and Austin Corbett (LAR).
Both have been successful in zone schemes.
Daniels is more athletic than Corbett but Corbett comes from a definitely similar offense to Taylor's.
Daniels also probably has more versatility than Corbett, able to play both OG spots and also came out of college as a C.
Both are expected to go in the $8-10 mill range, so pretty comparable.

So if both end up being available at FA, similar priced, and Bengals are interested, which would you prefer to have at RG?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Daniels because of his flexibility and performance at a few positions.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 12:39 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Daniels because of his flexibility and performance at a few positions.

daniels and fix the wrong from yrs ago for picking Price over him
Reply/Quote
Chicago is short on picks and their line is bad, gotta think the extend Daniels right
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 04:11 PM)Sanforbd Wrote: Chicago is short on picks and their line is bad, gotta think the extend Daniels right

Chicago only has $27.5 mill in cap space for 2022 and they have a lot of OL set to hit FA.
Jason Peters (starting LT)
James Daniels (starting RG)
Sam Mustipher (starting C)
Germain Ifedi (started half a season at RT)

They're gonna have to rely heavily on the draft and some bargain FAs.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The more I read into these players, the more I hope that the Bengals can strike a deal with James Daniels. The guy is stout, 327#, yet still athletic and his background in college makes him a perfect fit for the Wide Zone plays. He had a pass blocking grade of 68 on the year, giving up just 3 sacks. I know that PFF says he's due for a 5/$50M type of deal, but locking him up might just be the best thing that the team can do for Burrow, and also the rushing attack.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 05:51 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Chicago only has $27.5 mill in cap space for 2022 and they have a lot of OL set to hit FA.
Jason Peters (starting LT)
James Daniels (starting RG)
Sam Mustipher (starting C)
Germain Ifedi (started half a season at RT)

They're gonna have to rely heavily on the draft and some bargain FAs.

The ghost of Jason Peters won't be retained, hard to call him the starter, he was brought in when the 1st round pick had an injury. 
James Daniels, likely retained
Sam Mustipher - exclusive rights free agent 

Germain Ifedi - was outplayed by a 5th round pick, the new gm dropped hints that Ifedi won't be retained 

New coach, new GM, hard to see them walking away from their only good lineman in Daniels. I'm not considering him for the Bengals, the more realistic our list of available free agents is the better the chances are that we don't feel disappointed 
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 06:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The more I read into these players, the more I hope that the Bengals can strike a deal with James Daniels.  The guy is stout, 327#, yet still athletic and his background in college makes him a perfect fit for the Wide Zone plays.  He had a pass blocking grade of 68 on the year, giving up just 3 sacks.  I know that PFF says he's due for a 5/$50M type of deal, but locking him up might just be the best thing that the team can do for Burrow, and also the rushing attack.

Wow spotrac has Daniels at 7.3 million a year. But if we can lock him up for 5 years I would be all for it.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 07:37 PM)pulses Wrote: Wow spotrac has Daniels at 7.3 million a year. But if we can lock him up for 5 years I would be all for it.

When I first saw the list of projected contract values put out by PFF for many of the soon to be available OL I thought they looked a bit high.  Then I thought about it and remembered how every free agent season, many of us are predicting modest deals for players, and then are shocked when the each year's class of top tier players just blow everything out of proportion compared to previous years.

With that said, if the Bengals could land Mike Daniels anywhere between those two numbers, it would still be an amazing improvement to our interior line.  Daniels is only 24, appears to have fully recovered from the pectoral tear he suffered in 2020, and it's safe to assume that he's yet to reach his full potential as a pro athlete.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 08:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: When I first saw the list of projected contract values put out by PFF for many of the soon to be available OL I thought they looked a bit high.  Then I thought about it and remembered how every free agent season, many of us are predicting modest deals for players, and then are shocked when the each year's class of top tier players just blow everything out of proportion compared to previous years.

With that said, if the Bengals could land Mike Daniels anywhere between those two numbers, it would still be an amazing improvement to our interior line.  Daniels is only 24, appears to have fully recovered from the pectoral tear he suffered in 2020, and it's safe to assume that he's yet to reach his full potential as a pro athlete.

I totally agree and lock him up for 5 years. And I love he can play other positions too.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 07:21 PM)Sanforbd Wrote: The ghost of Jason Peters won't be retained, hard to call him the starter, he was brought in when the 1st round pick had an injury. 
James Daniels, likely retained
Sam Mustipher - exclusive rights free agent 

Germain Ifedi - was outplayed by a 5th round pick, the new gm dropped hints that Ifedi won't be retained 

New coach, new GM, hard to see them walking away from their only good lineman in Daniels. I'm not considering him for the Bengals, the more realistic our list of available free agents is the better the chances are that we don't feel disappointed 

I wasn't talking about retaining all their OL they had in 2021, I was just pointing out that they have a lot of their OL hitting FA.
And with only having $27 mill and coming off a 6-11 record, you need more than just a RG in FA.
It's also worth noting that Daniels might, ya know, not want to stay with the Bears but rather play for a team better equipped for contending.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 08:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I wasn't talking about retaining all their OL they had in 2021, I was just pointing out that they have a lot of their OL hitting FA.
And with only having $27 mill and coming off a 6-11 record, you need more than just a RG in FA.
It's also worth noting that Daniels might, ya know, not want to stay with the Bears but rather play for a team better equipped for contending.

He's 24? He's taking the bag wherever it is 
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 08:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I wasn't talking about retaining all their OL they had in 2021, I was just pointing out that they have a lot of their OL hitting FA.

I agree, the Bears have a lot of holes to cover, and it would seem unlikely that Daniels would have warm and fuzzy feeling about remaining with the Bears.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 06:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The more I read into these players, the more I hope that the Bengals can strike a deal with James Daniels.  The guy is stout, 327#, yet still athletic and his background in college makes him a perfect fit for the Wide Zone plays.  He had a pass blocking grade of 68 on the year, giving up just 3 sacks.  I know that PFF says he's due for a 5/$50M type of deal, but locking him up might just be the best thing that the team can do for Burrow, and also the rushing attack.

Spotrac salary projections are always wrong and I think PFF could be underselling this value.

Joe Thuney reset the guard market in 2021 so a guy like Brandon Scherff will get close to that especially with the Cap taking large hikes over the next few years. Now James Daniels might not be on Schreffs level yet but the gap isnt that big and he is experienced but still young.

I'm guessing James Daniels will get between a 10 to 12 mil per year and could be as high as 14.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Daniels because it opens up the draft more imo. If you take Daniels and a Zion is there, you have a new OC and OG. If not, you at least have a new OG.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 09:20 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Daniels because it opens up the draft more imo. If you take Daniels and a Zion is there, you have a new OC and OG. If not, you at least have a new OG.

Honestly, I'd be amazed if Zion Johnson were still on the board at 31, and completely overjoyed if he were the Bengals selection.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I think it would probably be easier to lure Daniels aways from the Bears than it would be Corbett from the Rams. Either one would be a big upgrade over what we have at RG now. Mark Glowinski is also a free agent this year and would be another good option for the Bengals. I would be happy with any of those 3 although Daniels is the probably the one I would pick because he could still get even better.
Reply/Quote
I like both players but the edge goes to Daniels for me too cause of his versatility.

Think we can also lure Daniels from the Bears easier than Corbett from the Rams.

The Bears don't have much Cap room and are a long way from being a contender in my opinion.

Should of drafted James Daniels in the first place I was wrong at the time when I liked Ragnow over Price and Price
over Daniels doh....
Reply/Quote
Daniel's position versatility gives him the edge for me!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 09:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Honestly, I'd be amazed if Zion Williamson were still on the board at 31, and completely overjoyed if he were the Bengals selection.

Didn't know he was changing careers from basketball to football  Shocked
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote