Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RG Jonathan Cooper
Former 1st round pick and Dallas Cowboys starter Cooper was just released.... https://mobile.twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1035937962079543301

I say (with his connection with Pollack/knowing his schemes) he'd be an excellent pickup.

Bengals Nation?
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 03:25 PM)PacMan Fever Wrote: Former 1st round pick and Dallas Cowboys starter Cooper was just released.... https://mobile.twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1035937962079543301

I say (with his connection with Pollack/knowing his schemes) he'd be an excellent pickup.

Bengals Nation?

I say if anyone knows if he is better than what we have, it is our new OL coach Pollack.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Yes.
Reply/Quote
Was he a starter or a backup?
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 03:28 PM)jorev5 Wrote: Was he a starter or a backup?

He started 13 games for the cowboys last year and was a former Top 10 overall pick. https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/01/49ers-release-guard-jonathan-cooper/amp/
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 03:35 PM)PacMan Fever Wrote: He started 13 games for the cowboys last year and was a former Top 10 overall pick. https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/01/49ers-release-guard-jonathan-cooper/amp/

...who never really lived up to his draft status.  WTS, that doesn't mean he isn't better than what we have.  With so many bad lines around the league, he should probably get a lot of calls.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 03:27 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I say if anyone knows if he is better than what we have, it is our new OL coach Pollack.

Yes, he will know.

I think he would be an upgrade myself if we are refusing to start Westerman no matter what.

Redmond has been a penalty machine and Hopkins is just a backup.
Reply/Quote
Drafted #7 overall in 2013, but has been injured every single year since.

San Francisco was his 4th differnt team in the last 4 years.

Has 27 career starts. Apparently looked his best when he started 13 games for Pollack in Dallas last year, but unfortunately he was injured in the last game of the year.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 03:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, he will know.

I think he would be an upgrade myself if we are refusing to start Westerman no matter what.

I think they are not starting him because to the coaches eyes he does not warrant to start at guard to start the season at this time.. it is not a conspiracy theory why he is not starting
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 03:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Drafted #7 overall in 2013, but has been injured every single year since.

San Francisco was his 4th differnt team in the last 4 years.

Has 27 career starts.  Apparently looked his best when he started 13 games for Pollack in Dallas last year, but unfortunately he was injured in the last game of the year.

Sounds a bit like the Andre Smith of Offensive Guards.  Good when he's on the field, but tough to keep him healthy.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Brought this up in the OGs thread earlier.

Not only does he have history with Pollack he has history with Gio. If you wanted to find out what kind of person/team mate he is.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 03:44 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I think they are not starting him because to the coaches eyes he does not warrant to start at guard to start the season at this time.. it is not a conspiracy theory why he is not starting

Redmond gets a start and thirty seconds later he's back on the bench with a false start and a hold under his belt.  PFF rates Westerman as our highest rated lineman.  Might not be rocket science.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 03:27 PM)GreenDragon Wrote: Yes.

It sounds like he got beat out this preseason by a 49ers 1st Rd. Pick and the '9ers didn't see much sense in paying $4.5M to a backup guard.
My only concern is the knee that required surgery this past off-season... 
(I'd say that, if he's healthy, it's a no brainer) 
Reply/Quote
He never quite lived up to billing and the fact he got cut coming off injury makes me think he may not quite be healed up yet. With that said he should know Pollacks scheme so if they think he could be good depth go for it.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 03:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, he will know.

This
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 04:19 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: This

lets cut both backup guards in Redmond and Westerman both very one dimensional anyway and pick up two new ones from other teams.. 
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 03:52 PM)McC Wrote: Redmond gets a start and thirty seconds later he's back on the bench with a false start and a hold under his belt.  PFF rates Westerman as our highest rated lineman.  Might not be rocket science.

So true, easy to see.

If a player plays better than the guy ahead of him give the player that is playing better a shot to start.

Don't know why i seem to argue this with people every dang year.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 04:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: So true, easy to see.

If a player plays better than the guy ahead of him give the player that is playing better a shot to start.

Don't know why i seem to argue this with people every dang year.

well you are not arguing with people on here as much as you are arguing with coaches.. the only ratings and opinions that matter are the coaches.. i will disagree with them also but at same time some on the board put way to much faith in PFF.  Finally of course you are going to argue with people.. it is your opinion that someone is better.. and their opinion that that person is not.. it is rare that there a answer is so clear cut...

Our guard situation is in flux for sure and we still don;t know who is going to start game 1 but whoever starts at RG and RT to me is a one to two game starter if they don;t perform to what the coaches expect.. sadly Westerman has not done or cant do what others can at RG and that limits him at this time.. only time will tell if that changes or as i stated before.. we might look at the NFL cuts and really reshape this line even more
Reply/Quote
This is exactly the type of player I was hoping would be cut. We usually don't shake things up this close to the season though.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 04:32 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: well you are not arguing with people on here as much as you are arguing with coaches.. the only ratings and opinions that matter are the coaches.. i will disagree with them also but at same time some on the board put way to much faith in PFF.  Finally of course you are going to argue with people.. it is your opinion that someone is better.. and their opinion that that person is not.. it is rare that there a answer is so clear cut...

Our guard situation is in flux for sure and we still don;t know who is going to start game 1 but whoever starts at RG and RT to me is a one to two game starter if they don;t perform to what the coaches expect.. sadly Westerman has not done or cant do what others can at RG and that limits him at this time.. only time will tell if that changes or as i stated before.. we might look at the NFL cuts and really reshape this line even more

It is not just PFF that sees that Westerman has been better than the other Guards not named Boling.

I see it, sure it is my opinion but to say he has not played well is untrue.

I don't put much stock in PFF, i trust my eyes but i think they are kind of right about Westerman playing well.

He played good against the Colts (backups granted) at RG. Just don't know why he isn't given a shot to start.

Would like Cooper here though of course.

I was one of the many people that loved the Pollack pickup but if he has a doghouse like PA did for players i am
not as big of a fan. My only gripe with Pollack if this is his doghouse and not Marv's with Westerman. Have to give
the players that play the best the chance to start regardless of practice or whatever.

Westerman plays good on game day when given a chance.
Reply/Quote