Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals have a chance to help push wobbling Big Ben to a retirement decision.
(10-10-2017, 12:01 PM)depthchart Wrote: There is finally some trouble in Steeler land and not only do we see smoke but we can also see the Fire.

Big Ben hinted at retirement last offseason making some question just how much his heart is into playing football. He said he discussed retiring with his wife before the 2017 season and has 3 young children at home. Retiring to focus on the family is an option.

The 2017 season itself has been a rollercoaster of events that have drawn plenty of media scrutiny. Mike Tomlin had the idea that having his team stay off the field in unison would bind his team together during the National Anthem. Show team unity. That backfired in a Big way when offensive tackle Villanueva stood alone on the field during the Anthem. A heavy dose of negative fan reactions to Steelers not being out on the field during the Anthem followed. Roethlisberger later said that he regretted staying in the tunnel for the Anthem and this may not have sat well with many of his teammates who support the protests. Tomlin's attempt at unity actually created a Wedge with many fans and likely amongst some of the players on his team.

Then we have the Antonio Brown throwing a Gatorade cooler incident during an easy win over the Ravens. Upset that Big Ben wasn't getting him the ball, Brown showed his Diva side with a tantrum. Big Ben later responds by calling out Brown on the radio. Responding publicly, instead of in house, is a big "no, no" to many former & current NFL players which led to another storm of criticism directed at Big Ben from the NFL players fraternity.

Then comes the 5 interceptions game and Ben stating afterwards that "maybe I don't have it anymore". Even more criticism comes towards Ben from former players that expect a team leader like Ben to be "all in" at all times with a complete focus on football. Many saying that he should retire if he is even questioning himself at all and that a highly paid leader should not cause his teammates to question whether he is committed or not to putting his heart totally into winning.

With all of the negative things occurring right now for the Steelers, they still are in 1st place in the Division.
The Ravens and Bengals are within Striking range, however, and Big Ben may have one foot on the retirement side in his mind and the other on the football side.

Wobbling and teetering.

This is normally when Big Ben and the Steelers get it together and take Control of things in the Division. Ending any hopes we may have for their demise.

This time has a chance to be different, though.
A tough game at Kansas City is next for the Steelers with a schedule that includes 2 Bengals games, 1 Ravens game, at Lions, at Colts possibly with Andrew Luck, Titans, Packers, Patriots and at Houston.

The Bengals come out of the Bye week with a Golden opportunity to play a smash mouth game with a Wobbling Steelers team that has some internal divisions right now.

The Storybook says that Big Ben returns to form, squashes the Bengals and we have to watch the Steelers pursue another Superbowl.

Maybe, just maybe, this time will be different.

A less than Hungry Big Ben facing heavy criticisms from many angles could be nudged into a retirement decision by a Young & Starving group of talented Bengals players that have a chance to wrest the vice grip Divisional control away from the Steelers organization.

A disappointing end to the 2017 Steeler's season could have them in full blown quarterback search mode this offseason as Ben retires to escape a year of relentless criticism.

A wobbling Top that will either get knocked over or start spinning stronger again.

Geno Atkins, Carl Lawson, Carlos Dunlap and of course Vontaze Burfict all up in Big Ben's grill may just cause Big Ben's football heart to shrink 3 sizes that day coming out of the Bye.

Big Ben has been the Heart and that Steeler heart beat seems weaker right now. Wobbly. Vulnerable.

This young Bengals team has to add to Steeler land troubles with a physically punishing Win.

Time to earn it.

I don't have much faith in this Bengals team winning this game. I can name several reasons as to why I think this but in general the Bengals just don't show up in these huge games under Marvin.
Reply/Quote
paging Mr Burfict and Mr Lawson
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2017, 04:53 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I don't have much faith in this Bengals team winning this game. I can name several reasons as to why I think this but in general the Bengals just don't show up in these huge games under Marvin.

Big Ben has been the difference maker in most past games.

Any slippage in Ben's elite abilities to more average levels could open the Door for the Bengals.

I want a Changing of the Guard in our Division, even if it goes to the Ravens for say this season but I think the Bengals should be next in line longer term should the Steelers decline.

Got to knock the King off of the Mountain or he remains King.
Reply/Quote
I smell blood in the water.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2017, 04:53 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I don't have much faith in this Bengals team winning this game. I can name several reasons as to why I think this but in general the Bengals just don't show up in these huge games under Marvin.

Marv and the refs are the only reasons i see us not atleast making it tough on them.

Marv is a Steeler fan and the refs let the O-line of the Steelers hold all damn game.

Still, our Defense will be tough and if we get the Pig in 3rd and longs here comes Lawson, Geno and Dunlap.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2017, 12:11 PM)depthchart Wrote: Big Ben has been the difference maker in most past games.

Any slippage in Ben's elite abilities to more average levels could open the Door for the Bengals.

I want a Changing of the Guard in our Division, even if it goes to the Ravens for say this season but I think the Bengals should be next in line longer term should the Steelers decline.

Since Dalton has been in the league the Bengals have won the division twice, the Ravens have won the division twice, and the Steelers have won the division twice. It's not like the Steelers are dominating the division every year.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2017, 01:09 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Since Dalton has been in the league the Bengals have won the division twice, the Ravens have won the division twice, and the Steelers have won the division twice. It's not like the Steelers are dominating the division every year.

Excellent point.

It must be their ability to win Playoff games that makes it seem like they are more dominant.

Ben putting up some of his poorest numbers since 2006 & 2008 could open the door for us or the Ravens.

The Chiefs have to keep them on the downside this week.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2017, 12:11 PM)depthchart Wrote: Big Ben has been the difference maker in most past games.

Given the age and what looks to be decline for both Roethlisberger and Flacco, the Bengals could very well be the favorites for the division annually within a couple years.
Think about it...once Flacco and Roethlisberger retire, Dalton would be the most experienced and productive QB in the division.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-13-2017, 01:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Given the age and what looks to be decline for both Roethlisberger and Flacco, the Bengals could very well be the favorites for the division annually within a couple years.
Think about it...once Flacco and Roethlisberger retire, Dalton would be the most experienced and productive QB in the division.

The Top 2 Playoff seeds with Bye weeks could be opening up as well longer term at least to some different teams.

Tom Brady has owned a #1 or #2 seed year after year and his remaining time is limited.

Peyton Manning no longer in AFC since retired.

A return to 2015 form by the Bengals in a changing AFC could put them in the Mix someday soon.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2017, 01:09 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Since Dalton has been in the league the Bengals have won the division twice, the Ravens have won the division twice, and the Steelers have won the division twice. It's not like the Steelers are dominating the division every year.

Plus our Defense seems to always give the Pig problems.

Antonio Brown is the one guy that hurts us more than anything, and the O-line holding all day for Bell.

I like our chances now with a fast Corner like WJ3 on Brown and and improved more disruptive DL.

Of course the Steelers OL will get away with some holds though, that is a given.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2017, 01:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Given the age and what looks to be decline for both Roethlisberger and Flacco, the Bengals could very well be the favorites for the division annually within a couple years.

Yeah, nice post Ocho.

I just keep waiting for the Steelers to fall off but it never happens.

Have to, someday.

Pisses me off, the waiting... Mellow
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2017, 02:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Plus our Defense seems to always give the Pig problems.

Antonio Brown is the one guy that hurts us more than anything, and the O-line holding all day for Bell.

I like our chances now with a fast Corner like WJ3 on Brown and and improved more disruptive DL.

Of course the Steelers OL will get away with some holds though, that is a given.

IIRC, the Bengals have kept Brown in check practically every game the past few years. Adam Jones has been able to cover him pretty well.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-13-2017, 02:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: IIRC, the Bengals have kept Brown in check practically every game the past few years. Adam Jones has been able to cover him pretty well.

Yeah as a Receiver, he has torn our asses a new one as a Returner though.

Last i checked he has 2 TD's against us on Punt Returns. Slippery little diva AB is.
Reply/Quote