Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Rank our Backup QB
If you want a guy who is an established backup, accepts that role, and lacks the ability/traits to pose any sort of threat to your current starter, then guys like Campbell, Gradkowski, etc. are right up your alley.
I would rather have a Mccarron or a Garoppollo who have shown a little promise, have plenty of upside, and could develop into a good starter should the need arise.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2016, 02:25 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Bruce wasn't bad. Jason Campbell certainly wasn't bad either.

And why aren't they as good as McCarron at this point? Glennon has shown promise. Garoppollo was highly touted out of college. Josh McCown actually has done decent on bad teams. As has Mettenberger. Matt McGloin isn't a bad backup either.

Then you have new backups such as Paxton Lynch. Connor Cook. Possibly even Carson Wentz.

Heck. Even Nick Foles has had more success than McCarron.

Grad and Campbell were bums.

The guys I took exception to are different from the guys you just said (garopolo, foles).....I was lol-ing at guys like henne and Schaub being brought up.

Now you're bringing up different names that aren't as ********. Although foles has been a starter sooooo ....

And as for the rookies you mentioned, they sound sexy now, but within the next couple years half of them will be verified flops, that's how it always goes.
Being a Bengals fan is like being in love with a narcissist.  It's a brutal, emotionally abusive relationship but I never leave and just keep making excuses for them.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2016, 12:47 PM)Savagehenry54 Wrote: Grad and Campbell were bums.

The guys I took exception to are different from the guys you just said (garopolo, foles).....I was lol-ing  at guys like henne and Schaub being brought up.

Now you're bringing up different names that aren't as ********.  Although foles has been a starter sooooo ....

And as for the rookies you mentioned,  they sound sexy now,  but within the next couple years half of them will be verified flops, that's how it always goes.

Grad sucked, but Campbell was not a bum. He had a good track record as a starter with the Skins. Had the Raiders off to a great start one year before getting hurt. Henne has started entire seasons and has a pair of 3200+ yard seasons on his resume. He's got a live arm, too. He's better than any backup we've had since Kitna. Honestly, Fitzy sucked for us. He was straight awful in 2008.

Sure it's easy to laugh at some of these names because they weren't great starters, but we should be judging them as backups. I like McCarron's potential over most of these guys, but lets be honest. 5 games (1 that was pretty awful and the rest being "meh") doesn't really tell us much. Hue really neutered the offense for McCarron, so it's possible he could've lit it up had they taken the reigns off him. Then again, he could've tossed 15 INTs too.

Heck, Foles lit it up for almost a whole season - playing well above McCarron's level - and now he looks like warm garbage. So it's really hard to say whether or not McCarron is going to amount to anything. If he does, it's probably not going to be here. That kid is probably going to bolt as soon as his contract is up to find a place where he'll get a shot. That's why I hope we trade him next season, if we can find anyone whose interested.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2016, 11:07 PM)Savagehenry54 Wrote: Love him. He threw what should have been a clutch game winner in the playoffs vs the Steelers. I adore that *****.

The only Bengal quarterback that had a lead in th 4th quarter of a playoff Inthe last 25 years. Then he handed the ball to Dumb Shit.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2016, 08:46 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Grad sucked, but Campbell was not a bum. He had a good track record as a starter with the Skins. Had the Raiders off to a great start one year before getting hurt. Henne has started entire seasons and has a pair of 3200+ yard seasons on his resume. He's got a live arm, too. He's better than any backup we've had since Kitna. Honestly, Fitzy sucked for us. He was straight awful in 2008.

Sure it's easy to laugh at some of these names because they weren't great starters, but we should be judging them as backups. I like McCarron's potential over most of these guys, but lets be honest. 5 games (1 that was pretty awful and the rest being "meh") doesn't really tell us much. Hue really neutered the offense for McCarron, so it's possible he could've lit it up had they taken the reigns off him. Then again, he could've tossed 15 INTs too.

Heck, Foles lit it up for almost a whole season - playing well above McCarron's level - and now he looks like warm garbage. So it's really hard to say whether or not McCarron is going to amount to anything. If he does, it's probably not going to be here. That kid is probably going to bolt as soon as his contract is up to find a place where he'll get a shot. That's why I hope we trade him next season, if we can find anyone whose interested.

Campbell played like a bum for us. The 08 team was turrible, Fitz did what he could and though the results weren't great, you could tell he was solid and that's why he's since gotten the opportunities that he has. McCarron showed enough that not nearly every qb who ever started a game and is still in the league is better which is what some of the lists of guys being posted almost amounted to. He had a playoff game won for us, it was done and only the worst choke job in history changed it. For getting his first starts in a playoff race and then a wildcard game to perform as well as he did was huge and I can't really relate to people not being happy about him as our backup, or the submitting that about 15 guys including proven hacks regardless of their larger body of work would be a better option.
Being a Bengals fan is like being in love with a narcissist.  It's a brutal, emotionally abusive relationship but I never leave and just keep making excuses for them.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2016, 01:28 PM)Savagehenry54 Wrote: Campbell played like a bum for us.  The 08 team was turrible, Fitz did what he could and though the results weren't great, you could tell he was solid and that's why he's since gotten the opportunities that he has.  McCarron showed enough that not nearly every qb who ever started a game and is still in the league is better which is what some of the lists of guys being posted almost amounted to.  He had a playoff game won for us, it was done and only the worst choke job in history changed it.  For getting his first starts in a playoff race and then a wildcard game to perform as well as he did was huge and I can't really relate to people not being happy about him as our backup, or the submitting that about 15 guys including proven hacks regardless of their larger body of work would be a better option.

Why do people think McCarron had that game won for us? The defense did. McCarron did very very little to "win" that game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2016, 04:14 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Why do people think McCarron had that game won for us? The defense did. McCarron did very very little to "win" that game.

What should have been a game winning TD pass late in the fourth quarter. Clutch. I dig it.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2016, 04:42 PM)Savagehenry54 Wrote: What should have been a game winning TD pass late in the fourth quarter.  Clutch.  I dig it.

And the only reason why he was able to get the potential "game winning TD" was only because of the defense put him on the opponents side of the field, and they kept the game close enough to make that a potential "game winning TD". If the defense didn't play like a Superbowl caliber defense we would have been humiliated.
Reply/Quote
Mccarron did not play a "great" game. The weather was giving him all sorts of problems early on. He couldn't throw it in the ocean to save his life. He put gloves on and off and he looked absolutely terrible at times. But he didn't stain his Crimson Tide underoos, he hung in there, and he got better as the game progressed. He put the Bengals in position to win the game. If you want to credit the defense for that, that's fine the defense played well. But AJ was clutch when it absolutely mattered the most, and it was refreshing to see.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2016, 04:42 PM)Savagehenry54 Wrote: What should have been a game winning TD pass late in the fourth quarter.  Clutch.  I dig it.

I dig it too. His winning two national titles under Saban has helped him a ton getting ready for the NFL stage, unlike a vast majority of qbs going pro. I honestly dont know where the hate comes from unless I am watching different games than others. Something isnt right when national pundits really liked what they saw out of AJM in his limited playing time as a second year backup, especially his couple of clutch throws against Pitt in the 4th quarter. But then there are quite a few Bengal fans that think he is crap? Either they are afraid he made throws in the 4th quarter of a playoff game that Dalton has yet to make, or they have an anti-Bama hatred. Personally I think he is far from hitting his ceiling like Dalton was a few years ago, and is by far one of the best backups in the league right now going into 2016 season.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote

But it wasn't.

Can't forget his interception and 3 fumbles in the game.

McCarron did not have a good game at all. Averaged 5.2 YPA.

98 of his 212 yards came in the 4th quarter. He was abysmal.

Did he make a clutch throw? Absolutely. Deserves credit for that. But overall McCarron had a bad game. The passing game struggled immensely that game. We're looking at his overall game, not just that throw.

Defense is what kept us in that game. And what they did against that team was VERY good.

They held the 3rd best offense and 4th best scoring team to a mere 18 points.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2016, 01:28 PM)Savagehenry54 Wrote: Campbell played like a bum for us.  The 08 team was turrible, Fitz did what he could and though the results weren't great, you could tell he was solid and that's why he's since gotten the opportunities that he has.  McCarron showed enough that not nearly every qb who ever started a game and is still in the league is better which is what some of the lists of guys being posted almost amounted to.  He had a playoff game won for us, it was done and only the worst choke job in history changed it.  For getting his first starts in a playoff race and then a wildcard game to perform as well as he did was huge and I can't really relate to people not being happy about him as our backup, or the submitting that about 15 guys including proven hacks regardless of their larger body of work would be a better option.

Campbell didn't play for us, so I'm not sure what you're talking about there. What Fitz did was post a 70.0 passer rating and an Akili Smith-like 5.1 YPA here. Dude had Housh, Kelly, and a hobbled Chad. Not the best but I wouldn't say the weapons were turrible. At least not enough to justify how awful he was. 

Fitz got an opportunity in Buffalo because Trent Edwards got injured. He then ran with that opportunity and posted great numbers. So to say he got opportunities elsewhere because of what he did in Cincy is kinda silly considering he was still a backup when he left. Buffalo is where he made a name for himself.

I like McCarron and I think he's the best backup we've had since Kitna, but it boggles my mind why people think he's clutch. Kid fumbled away the game in Denver (costing us a BYE) and crapped his pants for 3.5 quarters vs Pittsburgh. You slap a Dalton name plate on his jersey and people would be ripping him for a choke job fumble in Denver and ripping him for 3 fumbles and an INT against Pittsburgh. He only hung 16 on an absolute joke of a defense. With all these weapons? That's clutch? Pfff...

I'm not sure where I'd rank Mac as a backup. Top 10 for now probably, but there are some good ones out there other than McCarron and it doesn't seem like some on here are willing to acknowledge that. I'd say there's around a dozen backups that you could at least make an argument that they're as solid or more so at the moment.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2016, 07:45 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: But it wasn't.

Can't forget his interception and 3 fumbles in the game.

McCarron did not have a good game at all. Averaged 5.2 YPA.

98 of his 212 yards came in the 4th quarter. He was abysmal.

Did he make a clutch throw? Absolutely. Deserves credit for that. But overall McCarron had a bad game. The passing game struggled immensely that game. We're looking at his overall game, not just that throw.

Defense is what kept us in that game. And what they did against that team was VERY good.

They held the 3rd best offense and 4th best scoring team to a mere 18 points.

McCarron made one "clutch" throw if you can even call it that. One of the TDs drives came from a underthrown ball that was called PI. The "clutch" throw was to a wide open AJ Green that he had to stop and jump up to get. The 4th quarter is when Hill went off because Gio got hurt, and the defense put the offense in AMAZING field position to score points. McCarron was just there.
Reply/Quote
I find it funny that McCarron's playoff game proves he's a stud, but simply switch the name to Andy Dalton with the EXACT performance and stat line and people would have been going ape shit. McCarron's wobbly ass lame duck throw for the go ahead TD was just that. It wasn't a great throw. Green had to wait on it and come back for it, but because his name isn't Andy Dalton it was the most amazing play ever! Had Dalton made the exact same throw, the noodle arm jokes and inaccuracies about Dalton's deep ball would still be thrown around.

That is my entire issue. It kills me that anyone not named Andy Dalton can take snaps at QB and is given some wiggle room and an opportunity. Dalton is held to ridiculously high standards. This past season, he proved he can reach those standards. However, fans were still picking apart single throws for not being perfect, slightly overthrown, slightly overthrown, or whatever. Marvin Jones and AJ Green tried their best to bail McCarron out with the shitty throws he made against Denver, but everyone went on and on about how great McCarron was playing while complaining about games where Dalton had incredible performances because of a missed pass.

I completely understand having different standards for a proven, franchise QB and an unproven backup QB. That argument could almost hold water if the same people that are beating the McCarron drum would have ever gave Dalton the same chance. Because Dalton wasn't Mallett or Kaepernick or whoever the hell else they wanted, Dalton never got a fair shake with many fans from Day 1. McCarron comes in and was compared to Dalton. Dalton was considered to be the level of play to expect from McCarron. Since he isn't Dalton, a lot of fans don't care and greatly overexaggerate McCarron's play and abilities.

AJ McCarron is a good backup QB. He may be a starting QB in the NFL, but it will be after he leaves Cincinnati. Instead, fans can stay unhappy with their current QB who has helped turn the franchise around, helped lead the franchise to 50 regular season wins, helped get the team into the playoffs for 5 consecutive seasons, and who was having an MVP caliber season before injury. You can bring up the playoff futility all you want, but looking at the heights Andy has helped THIS organization reach, I'm astounded at how people legitimately entertain the idea of replacing him with McCarron.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2016, 08:27 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: I find it funny that McCarron's playoff game proves he's a stud, but simply switch the name to Andy Dalton with the EXACT performance and stat line and people would have been going ape shit. McCarron's wobbly ass lame duck throw for the go ahead TD was just that. It wasn't a great throw. Green had to wait on it and come back for it, but because his name isn't Andy Dalton it was the most amazing play ever! Had Dalton made the exact same throw, the noodle arm jokes and inaccuracies about Dalton's deep ball would still be thrown around.

That is my entire issue. It kills me that anyone not named Andy Dalton can take snaps at QB and is given some wiggle room and an opportunity. Dalton is held to ridiculously high standards. This past season, he proved he can reach those standards. However, fans were still picking apart single throws for not being perfect, slightly overthrown, slightly overthrown, or whatever. Marvin Jones and AJ Green tried their best to bail McCarron out with the shitty throws he made against Denver, but everyone went on and on about how great McCarron was playing while complaining about games where Dalton had incredible performances because of a missed pass.

Great post. That's the only thing that ticks me off. The double standards. For years, every throw by Dalton was micro-analyzed for errors. Meanwhile McCarron gets all kinds of benefit of the doubt, and even gets praised for bad throws or games. He's getting the opposite treatment.

People used to even blame Dalton for the crap performance of the defense in the playoffs. It was said repeatedly that Dalton's turnovers wore out our defense. I always thought it was a lame argument. Lo and behold, McCarron has multiple turnovers and our defense looks outstanding. Go figure.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2016, 08:13 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: McCarron made one "clutch" throw if you can even call it that. One of the TDs drives came from a underthrown ball that was called PI. The "clutch" throw was to a wide open AJ Green that he had to stop and jump up to get. The 4th quarter is when Hill went off because Gio got hurt, and the defense put the offense in AMAZING field position to score points. McCarron was just there.

The Bengals scored 16 points in the second half against Pittsburgh. With Dalton, they have scored a total of 6 points in the second halves of four playoff games combined. At least McCarron was there because Dalton never has been.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2016, 08:41 PM)tlotharw Wrote: The Bengals scored 16 points in the second half against Pittsburgh. With Dalton, they have scored a total of 6 points in the second halves of four playoff games combined.  At least McCarron was there because Dalton never has been.

And you keep ignoring the fact the only reason the Bengals did that under McCarron was because the people around McCarron, and not by McCarrons ability.
Reply/Quote
The simple truth of the matter is that Dalton and Mccarron are being compared so much because they are very comparable. I give Dalton the edge in experience and mobility and Mccarron seems to be more clutch and a more natural leader. Everything else is very close. I would classify both as game manager types who need a strong supporting cast to be successful. Niether one of these guys are going to carry a team. Put either one on a weak roster and I'll bet you that words like "Elite" and "Franchise QB" cease to be tossed around.
Reply/Quote
[quote pid='223086' dateline='1464397060']
The simple truth of the matter is that Dalton and Mccarron are being compared so much because they are very comparable. I give Dalton the edge in experience and mobility and Mccarron seems to be more clutch and a more natural leader. Everything else is very close. I would classify both as game manager types who need a strong supporting cast to be successful. Niether one of these guys are going to carry a team. Put either one on a weak roster and I'll bet you that words like "Elite" and "Franchise QB" cease to be tossed around.
[/quote]

That's silly. If McCarron and Dalton were "very comparable" then why did the offense take a nose dive after Dalton got hurt?
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2016, 11:32 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: [quote pid='223086' dateline='1464397060']
That's silly. If McCarron and Dalton were "very comparable" then why did the offense take a nose dive after Dalton got hurt?
That is what usually happens when a QB makes his first few NFL starts. Dalton has been getting starters reps for 5 years. The offense should absolutely run better with him under center than a backup who is barely more than a rookie and has no NFL game action. Other than the gap in experience these two are indeed very comparable.
Reply/Quote