Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Rank our Backup QB
(05-24-2016, 12:06 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I think we just have a bunch of excuses.

2005:  Palmer hurt
2009:  Graham misses two short FGs
2011:  Dalton and Green were rookies
2012:  Dalton was so sick he lost 10 pounds and some other crap
2013:  I think Dalton had the flu or something at some point
2014:  Green was injured, our #1 WR was apparently our fullback
2015:  Dalton was injured

Someday the Bengals will get a fair shake in the playoffs.  Someday.

2011 - 2012: The Bengals didn't have any offensive weapons, the OL was nonexistent, and the defense played like shit, but everyone blames Dalton (he did play bad, but he wasn't the sole reason for the loss)
2013: The Bengals OL was nonexistent, the offensive weapons didn't play well, and the defense played like shit (same as above)
2014: Everyone was hurt
2015: McCarron was a hero apparently, even though he played just as bad as Dalton with everyone else playing relatively well.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2016, 05:01 AM)Itsmebobd Wrote: I have a tendency to be a bit of a homer at times, but if this were madden we could call AJ the starter and trade dalton to the raiders Ninja Seriously though, where do u rank us at the backup QB position. I think we have a top 5 backup QB in the league, and honestly theres no guy I would rather have as a backup. Although I hate the man, AJ reminds me of TOM BRADY with his fire to compete and his overall demeanor. I dont want a QB controversy to start out of this, thats not the question. What is the question is how do u feel about AJ, should dalton go down again? I think we're in good hands. Discuss

Love him. He threw what should have been a clutch game winner in the playoffs vs the Steelers. I adore that *****.
Being a Bengals fan is like being in love with a narcissist.  It's a brutal, emotionally abusive relationship but I never leave and just keep making excuses for them.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2016, 02:54 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Fitzpatrick isn't a backup QB, so I don't see why you insist on putting him on the list other than your burning desire to rank people over McCarron. 

I can't tell what your metric for "better" is because you listed a bunch of fallen starting QBs, a #2 overall pick who hasn't taken a snap yet, a retired guy, Mike Glennon, and a slew of QBs who have spent the past few years on the bench or posting worse stats than McCarron.  

You'd honestly rather have Schaub, Henne, Hoyer, and McCown on the team than McCarron?  That strikes me as absurd, but hey to each his own.

Dude, yes! His reply to your post was so bad, idk why you dignified it with a reply. You're spot on. Aj played great last year for a total greenhorn and I love him our backup qb for the first time in a long time.
Being a Bengals fan is like being in love with a narcissist.  It's a brutal, emotionally abusive relationship but I never leave and just keep making excuses for them.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2016, 11:16 PM)Savagehenry54 Wrote: Dude, yes!  His reply to your post was so bad, idk why you dignified it with a reply.  You're spot on.  Aj played great last year for a total greenhorn and I love him our backup qb for the first time in a long time.

I don't think McCarron is going to take Dalton's spot any time soon but to act like we'd rather have Matt freakin' Schaub here than him is just lunacy.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2016, 12:03 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't think McCarron is going to take Dalton's spot any time soon but to act like we'd rather have Matt freakin' Schaub here than him is just lunacy.

McCarron wishes he was even close to as good as Schaub.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2016, 12:31 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: McCarron wishes he was even close to as good as Schaub.

Step 1:  Look at the stats on this page:  http://www.nfl.com/player/mattschaub/2505982/profile

Step 2:  Realize it isn't 2012

Step 3:  Feel shame
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2016, 01:36 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Step 1:  Look at the stats on this page:  http://www.nfl.com/player/mattschaub/2505982/profile

Step 2:  Realize it isn't 2012

Step 3:  Feel shame

Still better than McCarron. He can move the ball with no offensive weapons around him. McCarron has trouble moving the ball with Green / Jones / Eifert and Hill / Gio.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2016, 01:59 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Still better than McCarron. He can move the ball with no offensive weapons around him. McCarron has trouble moving the ball with Green / Jones / Eifert and Hill / Gio.

Over the last three years Schaub has never "moved the ball" more than 6.8 yards per pass attempt.

McCarron "moved the ball" 7.2 yards per pass attempt last year.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2016, 05:01 AM)Itsmebobd Wrote: I have a tendency to be a bit of a homer at times, but if this were madden we could call AJ the starter and trade dalton to the raiders  Ninja  Seriously though, where do u rank us at the backup QB position. I think we have a top 5 backup QB in the league, and honestly theres no guy I would rather have as a backup. Although I hate the man, AJ reminds me of TOM BRADY with his fire to compete and his overall demeanor. I dont want a QB controversy to start out of this, thats not the question. What is the question is how do u feel about AJ, should dalton go down again? I think we're in good hands. Discuss

He is solid, he aint no Tom Brady or even Andy Dalton though. I would agree on top 5 backup.

He has had some big game experience and played solid enough for us to win games, didn't turn the ball over terribly bad.

McCarron's fire actually reminds me of Phillip Rivers.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2016, 12:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Over the last three years Schaub has never "moved the ball" more than 6.8 yards per pass attempt.

Not saying I'd take Schaub over McCarron at this point (Schaub is near the end while Mac will only get better), but I think Schaub actually looked pretty decent last year. Especially considering the garbage he was throwing at. 

If Mac weren't here, I'd gladly take him as a backup over the types we had around before Mac.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2016, 12:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Over the last three years Schaub has never "moved the ball" more than 6.8 yards per pass attempt.

Schaub threw the ball in 2 games.

McCarron did in 6 games.

Schaub had 540 yards in 2 games.

McCarron had 854 yards in 6 games.

But let's talk about yards per pass attempt, because in games he actually threw more than 3 passes, his averages were 8.8, 9.1, 5.7, and 5.9.
But you're forgetting the playoff game, where he also threw 5.2 yards per attempt.

So when you throw his playoff game into the mix, his yards per pass attempt drops to 6.9. Which is pretty close to Schaub's numbers.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote

You ready for this one? Because this is my favorite.

Blaine Gabbert also threw a 7.2 yards per attempt.

He played in 8 games. McCarron played in 4.

But wait, there's more. Aaron Rodgers had a 6.68 yards per pass attempt. Ranking him even below Peyton Manning (30th among QBs that qualify).

Yards per pass attempt does not show who's a better QB. Just stop.

Reply/Quote
Schaub? Man, no. Has he accomplished more? More proven? Yea, sure.

But with Aj already here, in this system and considering age and apparent career trajectory of each player....it's nuts to suggest the Bengals would be better served to install Schaub over mccaron as back up.

Fitzpatrick, okay, but Fitz is a starter in this league. Chad henne and a lot of the other names I've seen thrown around in this thread are insane. Aj did well for himself last year. We finally got a decent backup and folks are still hatin lol
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2016, 02:52 PM)Savagehenry54 Wrote: Schaub?  Man, no.  Has he accomplished more?  More proven?  Yea, sure.

But with Aj already here, in this system and considering age and apparent career trajectory of each player....it's nuts to suggest the Bengals would be better served to install Schaub over mccaron as back up.

Fitzpatrick, okay, but Fitz is a starter in this league.  Chad henne and a lot of the other names I've seen thrown around in this thread are insane.  Aj did well for himself last year.  We finally got a decent backup and folks are still hatin lol

I can agree on that. Schaub has some decent parts to his game, which is similar to McCarron. But McCarron is younger and cheaper.

However, with that said, neither one is really "above and beyond" the other.

I don't see why bringing up other names in "Rank our backup QB" is such a bad thing. That's what this thread is about. Discussing where the backup ranks. There's backup QBs that are better than McCarron.

And what do you mean "finally have a decent backup QB"? Jason Campbell was a decent backup QB. Bruce Gradkowski was a decent backup QB. Ryan Fitzpatrick was obviously a decent backup QB.

People had an odd love for Dan LeFevour.

We've had decent backup QBs.

Reply/Quote
(05-25-2016, 04:01 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I can agree on that. Schaub has some decent parts to his game, which is similar to McCarron. But McCarron is younger and cheaper.

However, with that said, neither one is really "above and beyond" the other.

I don't see why bringing up other names in "Rank our backup QB" is such a bad thing. That's what this thread is about. Discussing where the backup ranks. There's backup QBs that are better than McCarron.

And what do you mean "finally have a decent backup QB"? Jason Campbell was a decent backup QB. Bruce Gradkowski was a decent backup QB. Ryan Fitzpatrick was obviously a decent backup QB.

People had an odd love for Dan LeFevour.

We've had decent backup QBs.

I didnt mean it was bad to bring em up. I just don't think most of them dudes are as good as mccaron at this point

Fitz was the last good one in my book.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2016, 07:03 PM)Savagehenry54 Wrote: I didnt mean it was bad to bring em up.  I just don't think most of them dudes are as good as mccaron at this point

Fitz was the last good one in my book.

Bruce wasn't bad. Jason Campbell certainly wasn't bad either.

And why aren't they as good as McCarron at this point? Glennon has shown promise. Garoppollo was highly touted out of college. Josh McCown actually has done decent on bad teams. As has Mettenberger. Matt McGloin isn't a bad backup either.

Then you have new backups such as Paxton Lynch. Connor Cook. Possibly even Carson Wentz.

Heck. Even Nick Foles has had more success than McCarron.

Reply/Quote
(05-25-2016, 01:59 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Still better than McCarron. He can move the ball with no offensive weapons around him. McCarron has trouble moving the ball with Green / Jones / Eifert and Hill / Gio.

Matt Schaub has been inordinately good at "moving the ball" into the hands of the other team and set a record for consecutive games "moving the ball" into his own endzone for them.  Since Schaub has fallen out of starter territory (though the Raiders paid him starter money to sit the bench) and into the backup role (thus making him comparable to our backup QB) he's posted a 13-20 TD to INT ratio and has a 3-7 record.  Meh, color me unimpressed.

He's also been dropped from the Raiders and Ravens in favor of Matt McGloin and whomever the Ravens have on the bench this year.  McCarron is a decent backup who might have some sort of a future in this league and you're saying we'd be better off with a 34 year old who's career is in a total free-fall AND he doesn't even have tolerable stats, either.  I don't get it.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2016, 03:36 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Exactly what I've been driving at. The players change but the results stay the same. That's why I can't pin too much blame on Dalton, Palmer, Macaroni or whoever else we have at QB. 

I feel ya on "crazy legs" Fitz-magic. It definitely would've been a more favorable matchup than Pig Ben. That said, I was encouraged by our defensive performance in this latest loss. For the first time in a playoff game, Geno looked like Geno. Dunlap didn't morph into Bernard Whittington. Tez didn't look like Armegis Spearman. 

They actually showed some fire. Which makes me wonder if Dalton could've made a difference for the offense. It sucks to be stuck with another "what if", but at least it provides me hope that maybe next season could be different as long as #14 is healthy. 

For all we know though, Dalton could go out and lay another egg. Or maybe the defense won't show up this time. The wait for the next playoff game is going to be a long one.

After the shot to Gio, that is.  It's sad that it took something like that happening to wake up the team.  Why in the hell can't they come out with that intensity?  It wreaks of a coaching issue....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2016, 02:25 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Bruce wasn't bad. Jason Campbell certainly wasn't bad either.

And why aren't they as good as McCarron at this point? Glennon has shown promise. Garoppollo was highly touted out of college. Josh McCown actually has done decent on bad teams. As has Mettenberger. Matt McGloin isn't a bad backup either.

Then you have new backups such as Paxton Lynch. Connor Cook. Possibly even Carson Wentz.

Heck. Even Nick Foles has had more success than McCarron.

Campbell was every bit as good, if not better than, AJ.  Don't get me wrong though, I like our current backup just fine.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2016, 10:29 AM)Wyche Wrote:  Campbell was every bit as good, if not better than, AJ.  Don't get me wrong though, I like our current backup just fine.

I understand why young QBs who show promise get that extra amount of bonus points as backups in the eyes of people.  McCarron held the fort about as well as a 5th round pick with no experience on his first real year could have, plus it's possible we can flip him for a pick eventually OR super unlikely he can take over as a starter here.  That's something that can't be said of the Jason Campbells of the world.

Again, not saying McCarron is better, but in the NFL young QBs get bonus points for their youth and potential when compared to older ones.  It's the same way Raiders fans are hyped about Derek Carr going 10-22 while Lions/Bears/Eagles/Rams etc. technically have better QBs winning more games but are in various stages of disappointment at the position and/or scrambling to get a young guy in there.
Reply/Quote