Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Rank our Backup QB
(05-22-2016, 02:54 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Fitzpatrick isn't a backup QB, so I don't see why you insist on putting him on the list other than your burning desire to rank people over McCarron. 

I can't tell what your metric for "better" is because you listed a bunch of fallen starting QBs, a #2 overall pick who hasn't taken a snap yet, a retired guy, Mike Glennon, and a slew of QBs who have spent the past few years on the bench or posting worse stats than McCarron.  

You'd honestly rather have Schaub, Henne, Hoyer, and McCown on the team than McCarron?  That strikes me as absurd, but hey to each his own.

What team is Fitzpatrick a starter on?

Yes, all of those QBs listed are better than McCarron. My bad on listing one retired guy. So McCarron is the 10th best backup QB. Seems like a big achievement.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2016, 05:48 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Mike Glennon
Jimmy Garoppolo
Chad Henne
Josh McCown
Zach Mettenberger
Matt McGloin
Paxton Lynch
Brett Hundley
Christian Hacknenberg
Connor Cook

There's 10 guys right there that I would take over McCarron right now.

McCarron is not like Tom Brady outside of "confidence" that you try to bring up. But even looking at numbers of how they started and such, McCarron is pretty pedestrian and doesn't even come close to the numbers that Brady posted.

How do I feel if McCarron takes over? Not all that great. I could see a few wins here and there, but he hasn't shown any clutch moments andin big games he only seems to do well for a certain time, not the whole game. Look at the Broncos game and the Steelers playoff game. Flashes at moments, but overall was lackluster. Haven't really seen him win a "must win".

SO I guess leading us to 3 straight scoring drives to take the lead in the playoff game against the steelers was forgotten by burfict and jones penalties? I'll take mccarron over anyone on that list. Not to mention Dalton only had a few clutch moments against the same steelers D earlier in the season in pittsburgh
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2016, 11:17 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: There was no trade offer for McCarron. I don't even think any team reached out to see if they could get McCarron either.

There were rumors on PFT I believe, I remember reading an article saying mike brown wouldnt trade him away
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2016, 02:48 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Fitzpatrick - Doesn't mean he's not better
Wentz - Doesn't mean he's not better, and Sam Bradford is better than McCarron too
Foles - Is still better than McCarron, just because he had a bad year with no type of offense around him doesn't make him worse
Keenum - Doesn't mean he's not better
Shaub - I would still take him over McCarron
Glennon - Doesn't mean he's not better
Henne - Doesn't mean he's not better
McCown - Doesn't mean he's not better
Hasselbeck -  Whoops
Brian Hoyer - Doesn't mean that he's not better. It's not like McCarron didn't shit himself in the playoffs either, not being able to move the ball at all against a bad defense, had a horrible first down %, Had 1 INT and 3 fumbles. At least Hoyer had more games over 200 yards than under 200 yards unlike McCarron.
Hoyer played like the crap QB he is, McCarron still has potential. We've seen what hoyer can do, nothing. AJ played well when it mattered most, in the 4th quarter with his team behind needing a win. That doesnt mean forgive him for the 3 quarters is crap, just saying having a guy like that in the 4th quarter is something packers fans loved for almost 20 years.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2016, 04:41 PM)Itsmebobd Wrote: SO I guess leading us to 3 straight scoring drives to take the lead in the playoff game against the steelers was forgotten by burfict and jones penalties? I'll take mccarron over anyone on that list. Not to mention Dalton only had a few clutch moments against the same steelers D earlier in the season in pittsburgh

One QB won and the other lost. I'll let you guess which one. Yet we're calling the one who lost "clutch". Hmm...

Lets be honest. If Dalton played the exact same game, he would've been roasted for the INT, 3 fumbles and 68.3 rating.

Burfict, Adam and Hill would get more of a pass while more blame would be heaped on the QB. And I don't care what year of Dalton's career we're talking about. Dalton was roasted after each playoff game, including his rookie year and 2nd year, while playing much tougher defenses - on the road instead of at home.

It just seems like the TEAM played better this time and McCarron is getting credit for it despite playing a shit game.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
With McCarron, the Bengals almost beat last year's Superbowl winning team, in their own dojo....
McCarron also come back to almost win the Bengals' first playoff game in 20+ years, so, I can't hate on him. He's only going to get better for us.

[Image: cinsigfin.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2016, 06:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: One QB won and the other lost. I'll let you guess which one. Yet we're calling the one who lost "clutch". Hmm...

Lets be honest. If Dalton played the exact same game, he would've been roasted for the INT, 3 fumbles and 68.3 rating.

Burfict, Adam and Hill would get more of a pass while more blame would be heaped on the QB. And I don't care what year of Dalton's career we're talking about. Dalton was roasted after each playoff game, including his rookie year and 2nd year, while playing much tougher defenses - on the road instead of at home.

It just seems like the TEAM played better this time and McCarron is getting credit for it despite playing a shit game.

You forgot that Dalton didn't have nearly the weapons, or even close to the defensive performance that we had the last playoff game.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2016, 01:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No there are not.

McCarron had a 97 passer rating as a back up.  That is very impressive no matter how you try to nit pick it.

Who are the ten back ups better than McCarron?

In his 4 starts....

0-2 against winning teams
2-0 against losing teams

191 passing yards/game
62.1% completion
6.16 yards/attempt
5 TD/1 INT
12 sacks
14 rushes/34 yards (2.49 ypc)
4 fumbles/1 lost

- - - - - -
The guy was asked to do very very little in a seriously dumbed down offense on an otherwise great team. He made a lot of short passes and wasn't expected to do much of anything other than not turn the ball over and score when the defense started him inside the other team's 30.  His favorite pass seemed to be a 10ft jumpball to AJ Green.

He was terrible in the pocket with no awareness and got happy feet and tried to run (poorly) far too often, both of which led to a lot of sacks and really short rushing gains.

With the talent surrounding him and the lack of contribution needed from him to secure a Bengals win, I really think if you switched McCarron and Gabbert last year in Week 15, Gabbert obliterates the 49ers with the Bengals' talent, and McCarron looks like dog doo.

That said, with the talent that was surrounding him, he's good enough to not lose against 5 win teams.

McCarron was a product of a system and great surrounding talent. Like a lesser 2008 Matt Cassel with the Patriots or 2015 Ryan Fitzpatrick. We saw what Fitzpatrick did in 2008 with the Bengals, and it sure wasn't 31 passing TDs.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
He is the best backup we have had since Kitna.. and that's really all I care to say on the matter.

Reply/Quote
(05-22-2016, 03:42 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: What team is Fitzpatrick a starter on?

Which team is Fitzpatrick a backup on?

(05-22-2016, 06:57 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: You forgot that Dalton didn't have nearly the weapons, or even close to the defensive performance that we had the last playoff game.

I believe it was in 2012 when the defense outscored the offense in the post-season but hey, don't let that get in the way of a good excuse.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2016, 02:16 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I believe it was in 2012 when the defense outscored the offense in the post-season but hey, don't let that get in the way of a good excuse.

Oh wow. The defense got one turnover! I guess that makes up for 0 sacks, and over 400 yards of offense allowed. Let's just sweep that they couldn't stop the run game to save their lives, and kept putting the offense in bad positions. Let's just ignore what actually happened, and say the played good.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2016, 02:27 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Oh wow. The defense got one turnover! I guess that makes up for 0 sacks, and over 400 yards of offense allowed. Let's just sweep that they couldn't stop the run game to save their lives, and kept putting the offense in bad positions. Let's just ignore what actually happened, and say the played good.

The defense got a pick 6 and the offense scored a big ol' 3 points that game.  Anyways, this is a thread about McCarron and his relation to being a backup and you and I are just debating about Andy Dalton.  My bad.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2016, 11:33 AM)fredtoast Wrote: None of these guys have played any where near McCarron's level in either college or the NFL.  I don 't know why you would take any of them over McCarron.

I don't think McCarron is a great QB, but there are not even enough good QBs for every team to have a starter, so when talking about back ups the competition is pretty weak.

McCarron has not proved he's that good at all.

He played in 4 games. Going 2-2. 2-3 if you include the Steelers game.

Had thrown 3 INTs and had 4 fumbles in his 5 games that he played.

Only averaged 208.8 yards per game.

In games he started? Averaged 191 yards per game.

Again, every QB I mentioned I take over him. He really isn't all that great. He's a game manager backup. Hasn't won us anything and literally beat Blaine Gabbert and a Ravens team on their 4th string QB with multiple injuries.

Can he be better? Absolutely. But there's 10 guys I take over him in a heartbeat. Seems the Bengals were willing to try out one of the guys I mentioned to beat out McCarron too.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2016, 07:06 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: In his 4 starts....

0-2 against winning teams
2-0 against losing teams

191 passing yards/game
62.1% completion
6.16 yards/attempt
5 TD/1 INT
12 sacks
14 rushes/34 yards (2.49 ypc)
4 fumbles/1 lost

- - - - - -
The guy was asked to do very very little in a seriously dumbed down offense on an otherwise great team. He made a lot of short passes and wasn't expected to do much of anything other than not turn the ball over and score when the defense started him inside the other team's 30.  His favorite pass seemed to be a 10ft jumpball to AJ Green.

He was terrible in the pocket with no awareness and got happy feet and tried to run (poorly) far too often, both of which led to a lot of sacks and really short rushing gains.

With the talent surrounding him and the lack of contribution needed from him to secure a Bengals win, I really think if you switched McCarron and Gabbert last year in Week 15, Gabbert obliterates the 49ers with the Bengals' talent, and McCarron looks like dog doo.

That said, with the talent that was surrounding him, he's good enough to not lose against 5 win teams.

McCarron was a product of a system and great surrounding talent. Like a lesser 2008 Matt Cassel with the Patriots or 2015 Ryan Fitzpatrick. We saw what Fitzpatrick did in 2008 with the Bengals, and it sure wasn't 31 passing TDs.

You can't talk like that. McCarron si the best backup in the league. You should know this
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm happy with Macaroni. He can step in and gives us a chance to win.

Reply/Quote
(05-23-2016, 02:53 AM)Nately120 Wrote: The defense got a pick 6 and the offense scored a big ol' 3 points that game.  Anyways, this is a thread about McCarron and his relation to being a backup and you and I are just debating about Andy Dalton.  My bad.

That doesn't mean the defense played well. Good try though.

Btw I'm not the one who started to talk about Dalton, but nice defection there.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2016, 05:54 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Again, every QB I mentioned I take over him. He really isn't all that great.

Again, none of those QBs have accomplished anything close to what McCarron has either in college or the NFL.

Just because you would take Paxton Lynch over McCarron means nothing.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2016, 11:20 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: That doesn't mean the defense played well. Good try though.

Btw I'm not the one who started to talk about Dalton, but nice defection there.

I never said you started it.  I blame myself for falling into the usual back 'n' forth with you.  
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2016, 11:25 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: He is the best backup we have had since Kitna.. and that's really all I care to say on the matter.

Fitzpatrick was not too bad either.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2016, 12:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Again, none of those QBs have accomplished anything close to what McCarron has either in college or the NFL.

Just because you would take Paxton Lynch over McCarron means nothing.

What has McCarron accomplished in the NFL? start 4 games?
Reply/Quote