Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Rank our Backup QB
(05-22-2016, 06:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: One QB won and the other lost. I'll let you guess which one. Yet we're calling the one who lost "clutch". Hmm...

Lets be honest. If Dalton played the exact same game, he would've been roasted for the INT, 3 fumbles and 68.3 rating.

Burfict, Adam and Hill would get more of a pass while more blame would be heaped on the QB. And I don't care what year of Dalton's career we're talking about. Dalton was roasted after each playoff game, including his rookie year and 2nd year, while playing much tougher defenses - on the road instead of at home.

It just seems like the TEAM played better this time and McCarron is getting credit for it despite playing a shit game.

No doubt, Dalton would have been roasted, as he was after his 3 INT playoff game. The only difference is that this would have been Dalton's 5th playoff appearance rather than his 5th game to take snaps in.

AJM didn't play any worse than Dalton has in the playoffs, so Dalton homers shouldn't throw stones. That said, AJM will improve as Dalton has improved. We'll end up being happy we have both of them over the next two years.

When it comes to the playoffs, I'm more for targeting the coaching, which has consistently not prepared this team for what was to come.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-23-2016, 04:31 PM)BengalChris Wrote: No doubt, Dalton would have been roasted, as he was after his 3 INT playoff game. The only difference is that this would have been Dalton's 5th playoff appearance rather than his 5th game to take snaps in.

That's why I said this in the same post you quoted:

"And I don't care what year of Dalton's career we're talking about. Dalton was roasted after each playoff game, including his rookie year and 2nd year, while playing much tougher defenses - on the road instead of at home."

I'm not defending Dalton nor attacking McCarron, so much as pointing out the hypocrisy. McCarron had a very Dalton-like playoff game, yet some are acting like it was somehow better.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2016, 06:43 PM)CINwillWIN Wrote: With McCarron, the Bengals almost beat last year's Superbowl winning team, in their own dojo....
McCarron also come back to almost win the Bengals' first playoff game in 20+ years, so, I can't hate on him. He's only going to get better for us.

or you can look at it like the Bengals Superior Defense keep them in the game while the offense floundered for 3 whole quarters of the playoff contest.  and those drives for scores were all short field due to the defense.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2016, 04:47 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That's why I said this in the same post you quoted:

"And I don't care what year of Dalton's career we're talking about. Dalton was roasted after each playoff game, including his rookie year and 2nd year, while playing much tougher defenses - on the road instead of at home."

I'm not defending Dalton nor attacking McCarron, so much as pointing out the hypocrisy. McCarron had a very Dalton-like playoff game, yet some are acting like it was somehow better.

Yeah I'm with ya. We're going to be happy we have both of them. Neither are as bad as their playoff game play has been.

Reply/Quote
(05-23-2016, 02:16 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Which team is Fitzpatrick a backup on?

I believe it was in 2012 when the defense outscored the offense in the post-season but hey, don't let that get in the way of a good excuse.

you talking the year Dalton was sick the week before and lost 10 lbs in 1 week right before the playoff game and we were a 1ft off of a TD pass to take the lead late.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2016, 04:53 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Yeah I'm with ya. We're going to be happy we have both of them. Neither are as bad as their playoff game play has been.

Agree 100%. With the way the whole team showed up to play vs the Steelers, I have a feeling Dalton would've finally gotten his playoff W had he been healthy. Not worried about McCarron at all, either. It's still very early in his career and he can only get better. I think we can all agree that we're in great shape at QB.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I'd just like to interject that it's pretty good people are talking about the quality of our backup, as opposed to the usual of debating whether we need to keep our starter — be it AD or back when it was Carson — or if we need to trade for some team's backup that played all of two games. Think about it: right now there's a message board out there with a thread 'we should trade all of our 2017 picks for _______.'

I'm just happy it's not us.

Anyway, carry on. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2016, 04:51 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: or you can look at it like the Bengals Superior Defense keep them in the game while the offense floundered for 3 whole quarters of the playoff contest.  and those drives for scores were all short field due to the defense.

(05-23-2016, 04:54 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: you talking the year Dalton was sick the week before and lost 10 lbs in 1 week right before the playoff game and we were a 1ft off of a TD pass to take the lead late.

[Image: talking-heads-stop-making-sense-zps3f983...234007.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(05-23-2016, 04:54 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: you talking the year Dalton was sick the week before and lost 10 lbs in 1 week right before the playoff game and we were a 1ft off of a TD pass to take the lead late.

Are you saying Dalton shouldn't have started that game?
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2016, 05:04 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Are you saying Dalton shouldn't have started that game?

probly not... But the other option wasn't better lol
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2016, 06:15 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: probly not... But the other option wasn't better lol

Didn't we have Gradkowski that year? That dude was awful.

I guess he couldn't have been much worse than Andy was, but I doubt he would've been any better either.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2016, 07:04 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Didn't we have Gradkowski that year? That dude was awful.

I guess he couldn't have been much worse than Andy was, but I doubt he would've been any better either.

Well if Gradkowski started and played like crap at least we'd be allowed to be mad at him.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2016, 08:44 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Well if Gradkowski started and played like crap at least we'd be allowed to be mad at him.

Grad would've joined the lengthening list of QBs who played like crap in the playoffs for us.

We've had a lot of QBs to be mad at.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2016, 11:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Grad would've joined the lengthening list of QBs who played like crap in the playoffs for us.

I think we just have a bunch of excuses.

2005:  Palmer hurt
2009:  Graham misses two short FGs
2011:  Dalton and Green were rookies
2012:  Dalton was so sick he lost 10 pounds and some other crap
2013:  I think Dalton had the flu or something at some point
2014:  Green was injured, our #1 WR was apparently our fullback
2015:  Dalton was injured

Someday the Bengals will get a fair shake in the playoffs. Someday.
Reply/Quote
I think Mccarron is easily a top 10 backup with only a lack of game experience keeping me from ranking him higher. He could win with the talent we have on offense if given the chance to play and develop.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2016, 02:53 AM)Nately120 Wrote: The defense got a pick 6 and the offense scored a big ol' 3 points that game.  Anyways, this is a thread about McCarron and his relation to being a backup and you and I are just debating about Andy Dalton.  My bad.

Isn't that also the game where Rey Maualuga made Owen Daniels look like the second coming of Kelen Winslow, Sr.?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-23-2016, 11:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Grad would've joined the lengthening list of QBs who played like crap in the playoffs for us.

I'm too young to remember Anderson, so other than Boomer in 1990 I can't recall a quarterback actually playing well...

As for McCarron, it was his fifth NFL start in horrendous weather.  Anyone can say what they want, but he did put the team in position to win its first playoff game in a quarter century.  He also kept things steady so that they won the division and hosted that playoff game.  He could have done MUCH worse.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2016, 12:06 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I think we just have a bunch of excuses.

2005:  Palmer hurt
2009:  Graham misses two short FGs
2011:  Dalton and Green were rookies
2012:  Dalton was so sick he lost 10 pounds and some other crap
2013:  I think Dalton had the flu or something at some point
2014:  Green was injured, our #1 WR was apparently our fullback
2015:  Dalton was injured

Someday the Bengals will get a fair shake in the playoffs.  Someday.

Guess it depends on which side you're on. One side makes excuses, one turns blind rage at the QB. 

As long as that QB has red hair anyway. Otherwise they join the excuse-makers:

2005: Kitna was cold (even though he started hot and got worse in 2nd half)
2009: Graham missing 2 FGs somehow means Palmer wasn't dreadful
2015: Bad weather/It was McC's 4th start/He was actually good cuz we had 16-15 lead for a sec.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2016, 11:54 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Guess it depends on which side you're on. One side makes excuses, one turns blind rage at the QB. 

As long as that QB has red hair anyway. Otherwise they join the excuse-makers:

2005: Kitna was cold (even though he started hot and got worse in 2nd half)
2009: Graham missing 2 FGs somehow means Palmer wasn't dreadful
2015: Bad weather/It was McC's 4th start/He was actually good cuz we had 16-15 lead for a sec.

In all fairness 2009 was the year of Benson, the defense, and the occasional Palmer 2-minute miracle.  Graham killing 2 drives made running Benson less of an option and put more emphasis on Palmer, which he and the rest of the offense sort of blew.  

I obviously put the lion's share of the blame on Marvin Lewis because no matter what our regular season record and rankings are we seem to play like a 7-9 team with the 32nd ranked offense and 28th ranked defense every time the playoffs roll around.  The drop off is staggering.

Call me a defeatist, but I was fully expecting the Jets to come to Cincy and Fitzpatrick to meltdown and we would win a playoff game by default to snap the drought.  Sadly, he melted down 1 week too early and let the Steelers in.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2016, 01:18 PM)Nately120 Wrote: In all fairness 2009 was the year of Benson, the defense, and the occasional Palmer 2-minute miracle.  Graham killing 2 drives made running Benson less of an option and put more emphasis on Palmer, which he and the rest of the offense sort of blew.  

I obviously put the lion's share of the blame on Marvin Lewis because no matter what our regular season record and rankings are we seem to play like a 7-9 team with the 32nd ranked offense and 28th ranked defense every time the playoffs roll around.  The drop off is staggering.

Call me a defeatist, but I was fully expecting the Jets to come to Cincy and Fitzpatrick to meltdown and we would win a playoff game by default to snap the drought.  Sadly, he melted down 1 week too early and let the Steelers in.

Exactly what I've been driving at. The players change but the results stay the same. That's why I can't pin too much blame on Dalton, Palmer, Macaroni or whoever else we have at QB. 

I feel ya on "crazy legs" Fitz-magic. It definitely would've been a more favorable matchup than Pig Ben. That said, I was encouraged by our defensive performance in this latest loss. For the first time in a playoff game, Geno looked like Geno. Dunlap didn't morph into Bernard Whittington. Tez didn't look like Armegis Spearman. 

They actually showed some fire. Which makes me wonder if Dalton could've made a difference for the offense. It sucks to be stuck with another "what if", but at least it provides me hope that maybe next season could be different as long as #14 is healthy. 

For all we know though, Dalton could go out and lay another egg. Or maybe the defense won't show up this time. The wait for the next playoff game is going to be a long one.
Reply/Quote