Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ravens fired their OC
(10-10-2016, 04:08 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: I was hoping they'd have handed Alexander a parachute on the team flight home, open an emergency exit, and inform him that his services will no longer be needed.

Oh you'd give him a parachute?  OK we'll do it your way.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 04:07 PM)Au165 Wrote: As I said, if you are going to fire him....you have to go with someone on staff for the season. If you think the whole staff is worthless it makes no difference.

Well, we could start with Who Dey.....I think he could do just as good of a job coaching the o line....and probably much cheaper.  He can still rep us at the COOL clinic....nobody would notice.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 12:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But the guys you want fired were here last year.

I believe that a coaching change would only help if we can bring in better coaches.  There are not a lot of coaches out there that have better track records than what we have now.

Really? That's always been your argument about no coaches being out there. Where do other teams get their coaches when they need them? Just because you don't know any doesn't mean they aren't out there. It's moot because Cincinnati won't fire any coach during the season but there are lots of coaches and coordinators who are very successful at the collegiate level who could be interested in coaching at the NFL level.

Plus what track record are you talking about? Please explain how Guenther's track record is anything other than inheriting a great defense that Zimmer built. Guenther's linebackers with the exception of Burfict, even when Zimmer was here was clearly the weakest spot on our defense.

Zampese is a big reason we are 2-3. Blame the o-line but Gruden and Jackson knew how to make the line look good. This offense has zero identity. That's all on Zampese.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 04:07 PM)Au165 Wrote: As I said, if you are going to fire him....you have to go with someone on staff for the season. If you think the whole staff is worthless it makes no difference.

Not sure if you're talking about PA or not but if you are, there is nobody on this staff that could be any worse than him. I wonder why the players listen to him at all. You got to wonder at what point do they just say, "F*** it" and rely on what they learned from pop warner, high school, and college coaches.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 04:19 PM)Stonyhands Wrote: Really?  That's always been your argument about no coaches being out there.  Where do other teams get their coaches when they need them?  Just because you don't know any doesn't mean they aren't out there.  It's moot because Cincinnati won't fire any coach during the season but there are lots of coaches and coordinators who are very successful at the collegiate level who could be interested in coaching at the NFL level.  

Plus what track record are you talking about?  Please explain how Guenther's track record is anything other than inheriting a great defense that Zimmer built.  Guenther's linebackers with the exception of Burfict, even when Zimmer was here was clearly the weakest spot on our defense.  

Zampese is a big reason we are 2-3.  Blame the o-line but Gruden and Jackson knew how to make the line look good.  This offense has zero identity.  That's all on Zampese.

All good points.  The only difference on the line from last year Ogbuehi (which teams ARE exploiting him).  So, you could say that Gruden and Hue could mask it.  That said, and we discussed this last night, we also have a rook and a new FA at WR that are still learning the system, and can't get open as much as the cats they replaced, contributing to our woes as well.  Maybe it's KZ, maybe it's not, maybe it's a combination of him and other things.

You never know what you have in the college ranks....well....there's a Harbaugh, and there are probably a few good coordinators out there that would make a good HC.  The LBs have always been a liability in coverage, that is true as well.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 03:36 PM)Millhouse Wrote: If I remember right,  but Ravens fired their OC back in 2012 during the season and went on to win the SB that same year. Anyways food for thought for those against any change with coaches during the season.

Clearly you're remembering wrong. Don't worry, I'm sure Fred will be here soon to remind you how teams who change coaches always lose out.  Mellow
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 04:40 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Clearly you're remembering wrong. Don't worry, I'm sure Fred will be here soon to remind you how teams who change coaches always lose out.  Mellow

Had to look it up to confirm, but yeah they fired Cameron in December and promoted Jim Caldwell who was the QB coach (former Colts HC and current Lions HC). Then went on to win the SB couple months later.

I guess to be fair, we dont have a Caldwell waiting in the wings. On defense we do have Jim Haslett who was a head coach before though.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 04:50 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Had to look it up to confirm, but yeah they fired Cameron in December and promoted Jim Caldwell who was the QB coach (former Colts HC and current Lions HC). Then went on to win the SB couple months later.

I guess to be fair, we dont have a Caldwell waiting in the wings. On defense we do have Jim Haslett who was a head coach before though.

If we're really reaching, we have Bill Lazor. He was the (awful) OC in Miami back in 2014 and most of 2015.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Zampese doesn't know how to run the football. Blocking schemes suck...He should be demoted back to qb coach.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 04:24 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Not sure if you're talking about PA or not but if you are, there is nobody on this staff that could be any worse than him. I wonder why the players listen to him at all. You got to wonder at what point do they just say, "F*** it" and rely on what they learned from pop warner, high school, and college coaches.

No talking about the OC.....which is the topic of this thread. If you want to fire the OC the replacement has to come from in house during the season as there is no time to learn a whole new playbook.
Reply/Quote
The saddest thing of all is Paul Brown's signature in Cleveland and in Cincinnati was the smartest set of offensive linemen he could find.  Paul valued intellect as much as he valued strength and athleticism because his blocking schemes were decades ahead of his time* and if anyone thinks Jim Brown broke into the open field on his own, they are mishuganah.  Jim Brown might have been the greatest open field runner in NFL history but it was Paul's technique on the offensive line that opened up massive holes.  The fact that Paul Alexander was hired the season after Paul Brown passed away is not lost on me.  Yes, I know he was recommended by the great Jim McNally who coached the offensive lines in the Bengals' Super Bowl years, but maybe McNally easily impressed.

*If you don't believe me, ask Bill Belichick.  He still uses Paul Brown's 1950s-1960s blocking technique.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 04:24 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Not sure if you're talking about PA or not but if you are, there is nobody on this staff that could be any worse than him. I wonder why the players listen to him at all. You got to wonder at what point do they just say, "F*** it" and rely on what they learned from pop warner, high school, and college coaches.

The Bengals O-line has consistently been ranked among the best in the league over the last few years by multilt sources including FootballOutsiders and ProFootballFocus.

Last year Sports Illustrated did a feature story about Paul Alexander and how well he was respected around the league.

He is a regular speaker at the annual Offensive Line Clinic held in Cincinnati.  I wonder why none of the experts at that clinic think he is total garbage?  How many of you would pay to attend a clinic that chose a speaker who was a joke but just happened to be local?
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 04:19 PM)Stonyhands Wrote: Really?  That's always been your argument about no coaches being out there.  Where do other teams get their coaches when they need them?  Just because you don't know any doesn't mean they aren't out there. 

I never said there are no other good coaches out there.

And most teams that fire their coach do NOT find a much better replacement.  Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.  that is why most teams don't fire a coach whoo is having as much success as Marvin is right now.  If it was so easy to find a coach better than Marvin then the Bengals would not be beating most of the teams they play.  Over the last three years Marvin has even been beating most of the winning teams we play.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 05:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The Bengals O-line has consistently been ranked among the best in the league over the last few years by multilt sources including FootballOutsiders and ProFootballFocus.

Last year Sports Illustrated did a feature story about Paul Alexander and how well he was respected around the league.

He is a regular speaker at the annual Offensive Line Clinic held in Cincinnati.  I wonder why none of the experts at that clinic think he is total garbage?  How many of you would pay to attend a clinic that chose a speaker who was a joke but just happened to be local?

I would pay to be in attendance to lob personal insults and heckle him about being barf at coaching.

Kidding, but slightly. I'm just pissed
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 12:34 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: If we miss the playoffs, I want Marvin gone and I want Vance Joseph brought in and for him to be allowed to choose his staff. I want Paul Alexander gone immediately if not, sooner. I don't care if a can of soup replaces him

Who gave you the idea that what you want matters?
Reply/Quote
So considering Alexander would be the interim head coach if something were to happen to Marv he would probably be next in line for OC. What does that solve?
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 05:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The Bengals O-line has consistently been ranked among the best in the league over the last few years by multilt sources including FootballOutsiders and ProFootballFocus.

I don't understand that at all. Pauls line may look good on paper for some reason but on the field? Nope.

Are you actually content with our oline play, Fred? Are you happy with Paul Alexander?
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 06:45 PM)Beaker Wrote: Who gave you the idea that what you want matters?

Did I ever say it did? Just giving my two cents. 
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 07:02 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Did I ever say it did? Just giving my two cents. 

You weren't giving anything, you were stating what you wanted. 

You want Vance Joseph...the architect of that dominating dolphin's D?
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 07:49 PM)Beaker Wrote: You weren't giving anything, you were stating what you wanted. 

You want Vance Joseph...the architect of that dominating dolphin's D?

I wouldn't hate it. Who do you want to see replace Marv?
Reply/Quote