Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Redmond - Weakest link on the line
https://twitter.com/PFF_Bengals/status/1054454689234702336

"#Bengals' Alex Redmond allowed a team-high 6 total pressures against the #Chiefs on SNF.

Redmond has now allowed 3 more pressures than any other guard in football and ranks 34th in run-block grade (58.2) through W7.

He, not Bobby Hart, has been the weakest link along the OL."

Redmond is currently on pace to allow 73 pressures this season. Just for reference, the New Orleans Saints gave up 110 last season as a team.
Reply/Quote
That is why I believe that you plug Price in at RG when he returns...He played 3 seasons at OSU at RG then 1 season at Center...TJ and Andy seemed to be doing just fine right now.
Reply/Quote
Yeah, but Marv said he looks tough. Didn’t the other teams get the memo to be afraid of him?
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2018, 11:09 AM)spazz70 Wrote: That is why I believe that you plug Price in at RG when he returns...He played 3 seasons at OSU at RG then 1 season at Center...TJ and Andy seemed to be doing just fine right now.

I too would be a big fan of this. And it is something they can entertain coming off the bye week.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2018, 11:09 AM)spazz70 Wrote: That is why I believe that you plug Price in at RG when he returns...He played 3 seasons at OSU at RG then 1 season at Center...TJ and Andy seemed to be doing just fine right now.

Do you think TJ Johnson is still on the team or is this some nickname for Trey Hopkins I am unaware of.

No bagging, just asking. Hell I called Jordan Evans, Jordan Hicks the other day.

As to your point: I absolutely believe Price should take over a RG. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Hell give it a shot.

I don't know why they're so damn determined to keep Redmond in there ? Just like they were determined to keep Og in there. And remember when they switched up the line at the end of last season and we improved drastically ?

I think it's ego, they're determined to coach a guy up and get the gold star on their desk.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2018, 10:46 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: https://twitter.com/PFF_Bengals/status/1054454689234702336

"#Bengals' Alex Redmond allowed a team-high 6 total pressures against the #Chiefs on SNF.

Redmond has now allowed 3 more pressures than any other guard in football and ranks 34th in run-block grade (58.2) through W7.

He, not Bobby Hart, has been the weakest link along the OL."

Redmond is currently on pace to allow 73 pressures this season. Just for reference, the New Orleans Saints gave up 110 last season as a team.

After the last few games last season I definitely was a Westerman advocate.  

If in training camp he got beat fair and square by Redmond that's one thing....but right now Redmond appears to be struggling and unlike with Og say at RT i think we have more viable options with Westerman or Price  at RG.

I started another thread re: Trey - sure PFF will say different but he has looked pretty solid to me so far.
Reply/Quote
Yeah, he be bad and not even good in the running game which was supposed to be Redmond's strength.

As others stated, put Price at RG when he gets healthy since Hopkins has played decent at Center.

Hopkins is not a better Center than Price but he is a better Center than he is a RG it sure looks like.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2018, 01:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Do you think TJ Johnson is still on the team or is this some nickname for Trey Hopkins I am unaware of.

No bagging, just asking. Hell I called Jordan Evans, Jordan Hicks the other day.

As to your point: I absolutely believe Price should take over a RG. 

I can only assume Trey is short for TreyJey.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2018, 01:47 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Hell give it a shot.

I don't know why they're so damn determined to keep Redmond in there ? Just like they were determined to keep Og in there. And remember when they switched up the line at the end of last season and we improved drastically ?

I think it's ego, they're determined to coach a guy up and get the gold star on their desk.

The only way a coach gets any boost to his ego is for his team to play well.  It is ridiculous to claim that a coach will play an inferior player because of his ego.  The fact is the coaches play the players that they think will give them the best chance to win.  That is the ONLY thing that will make them look good.
Reply/Quote
Sure the guy sucks at pass blocking and isn't good at run blocking... but if PFF is so smart, where is the Guy-You'd-Want-To-Have-Your-Back-In-A-Dark-Alley grade? Huh? HUH? .....Exactly.

Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
But how does he hit a Ketchup bottle?
Reply/Quote
Bobby Hart and Trey Hopkins have only been a little better than Redmond. Cordy Glenn has had his struggles against speed rush on the left side and Clint Boling is having his worst season in stripes...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Dont wait for Price to come back to make a change. Westerman should be starting at RG. Hopkins is backup quality. We need Price at C. Im not convinced Hart is that much better than Fisher. Why cant we give him some snaps at RT
Reply/Quote
I believe PFF said the highest amount of pressures given up by a guard was in the high 40s-low 50s. The fact that Redmond may shatter that record is mind boggling.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2018, 11:31 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Dont wait for Price to come back to make a change. Westerman should be starting at RG. Hopkins is backup quality.  We need Price at C. Im not convinced Hart is that much better than Fisher. Why cant we give him some snaps at RT

I was wondering that myself.  The two black marks on this roster, IE the two colossally terrible tackles taken in the disastrous 2015 draft are bad at football.  Bobby Hart is also bad at football.  Dee Ford abused him last week.  It's like we replaced a known turd with another turd.  The new turd was known to be a turd, too.  He just got a chance to be a change-of-scenery turd.  

At some point, maybe it's time to try something different.  I get that this line is a work in progress.  I also get that it wasn't going to get fixed in one offseason.  Realistically, they needed to fill 4 starting spots in that position group to become competent.  They got some replacements.  I'd call Glenn competent and Redmond/Hart replacement level.  Get rid of them as soon as you can draft/sign someone better.  Until that comes to be, it's just going to be an assortment of turds and bums on the right side, I'm afraid.  

The current turds suck, so maybe they give the bums another shot before they get put on the street at the end of the year.  
Reply/Quote
I'll try and find the graphic, but the Bengals give up the 10th fewest QB pressures in the NFL which was completely mind blowing. I think people continue to under estimate how bad lines are across the entire league currently.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2018, 09:03 AM)Au165 Wrote: I'll try and find the graphic, but the Bengals give up the 10th fewest QB pressures in the NFL which was completely mind blowing. I think people continue to under estimate how bad lines are across the entire league currently.

Andy is also getting the ball out faster than almost every QB in the NFL. Only Drees Brees and Sam Bradford have a faster Time to Throw. The offensive line is also struggling to run block too.

It's obvious they are play calling around the offensive line. 

It's not just the line though the Bengals are on their 3rd Y Tight End (5th tight end on the depth Chart) and using a rookie Mark Walton in pass pro which he's struggling. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2018, 11:24 AM)Synric Wrote: Andy is also getting the ball out faster than almost every QB in the NFL. Only Drees Brees and Sam Bradford have a faster Time to Throw. The offensive line is also struggling to run block too.

It's obvious they are play calling around the offensive line. 

It's not just the line though the Bengals are on their 3rd Y Tight End (5th tight end on the depth Chart) and using a rookie Mark Walton in pass pro which he's struggling. 

Sure, but again.....10th. O lines are bad everywhere it's just the nature of the beast right now. 
Reply/Quote
Our worst rated OL is still rated higher than 4 of 5 starting OL from last year. So, while Redmond's performance has been nothing to write home about, the overall performance of the OL is better than last year.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote