Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds August 2023 thread
(08-31-2023, 12:31 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Well for one thing what is Bell's deal with 3 catchers ?

I liked Bell carrying three catchers . . . It helped protect him from himself with only two other bench players.

Honestly though, I think he expected Stephenson to be better at the plate and would be DH a lot of the time. Veteran catchers were needed behind Stephenson for a VERY young pitching staff, plus I don't think that they knew how well that Maile would be in that role. Early on, Williamson was one that benefitted from having Casali behind the plate. He had the best ERA of all three catchers until Maile became Abbott's catcher.

I hope that they've already approached Casali for a minor league coaching job after he finally decides to hang them up. I was a fan after the first interview that I saw with him after the Reds traded for him.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2023, 04:16 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: David Bell doesn't believe in pitchers finishing innings. Dude absolutely loves him some mid-inning pitching changes. It actually drives me a bit crazy because he'll constantly not let a starter get the 3rd out of an inning even if the 2nd out was a strikeout, a relief pitcher comes in and gets the 3rd out, then sits down and cools off before coming back out and walking guys because they're not coming into the game warmed up fresh out of the bullpen leading to another mid-inning pitching change.

That's because a chart makes the decisions for this franchise, Bell just implements them.

Quote:Doesn't let our starters grow accustomed to getting themselves out of jams or finishing strong which is something pitchers need to learn to do to be good pitchers, and makes our bullpen guys pitch primarily out of the bench rather than out of the bullpen.
That was part of my ***** about bringing in Lively third instead of second . . . he wound up pitching into the ninth, territory he's not used to seeing and was pulled because . . . he's not used to pitching into the ninth?
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
Renfroe played his way out of Anaheim. Great arm, poor movement and poor effort. He'd have a couple more infield singles if he hustled. It'll be great if he helps the team but I feel that this is treading water at best.

I guess Bader brings experience and good fielding. Hitting wise, he's not much better than what's already here.

I expect to see Benson getting some at bats as DH coming soon.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2023, 07:52 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: That was part of my ***** about bringing in Lively third instead of second . . . he wound up pitching into the ninth, territory he's not used to seeing and was pulled because . . . he's not used to pitching into the ninth?

As i said before it very likely was a pitch count thing being is first game back from the IL. He only threw 66 pitches when he's thrown 80-100 pitches most of his games he pitched this season.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2023, 03:04 PM)samhain Wrote: Well, no pitchers on the waiver wire.  We did get Hunter Renfroe and Harrison Bader, so there's that.

Damn CLE for taking literally every single pitcher the Angels let go.

Seems silly they'd even care about adding all those guys when they're 5 games out of their own division AND no shot to get a WC spot.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote