Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds August 2023 thread
I'm trying hard not to throw in the towel yet, but it's in my hand. I'm like Kevin I just can't stay up that late for these W. coast games, haha. I fell asleep like 2nd inning and didn't even realize we almost got no-no ed until this morning. WOW

Lets hope Hunter Greene doesn't add to his August ERA of 17.55 or somein like that.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2023, 12:41 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It wasn't necessarily because of his talent. It's because the Angels decided to throw in the towel after how August went.

As for getting released, he still has to go through waivers, so Reds still might not get him even if they tried.

At this stage of the season, the only teams that would claim him off waivers would be playoff hopeful teams. Looking at the playoff hopefuls, the teams I would think are most likely to put in a claim are us and Miami. Since we have a better record than Miami, I think they'll probably claim him before we get the chance.

The good news is Matt Moore was also waived by the Angels. I hope we claim him. He's got some nice numbers as a LHP. 0.98 WHIP, 2.30 ERA, only 12 BB over 43 IP, 47 K in 43 IP, OBA of .196.

He also only has 40 GP, which would make him one of the freshest arms in our bullpen (Gibaut, Farmer, Diaz, Young, Sims, Cruz and Law are all 44 or above, all the way up to 60 for Gibaut). Moll has 12 with us, but 57 over the season. 

Oddly enough, Moore has lopsided reverse splits for a lefty. He pitches right handed hitters to the tune of .184/.248/.289/.537 but he pitches lefties (the ones he should be good against) to the tune of .231/.302/.538/.841.

That's in only 39 ABs, so small sample size is in full effect here, but that SLG is jarring haha. 3 of the 5 HRs he's allowed have been against lefties in those 39 ABs.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2023, 12:45 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm trying hard not to throw in the towel yet, but it's in my hand. I'm like Kevin I just can't stay up that late for these W. coast games, haha. I fell asleep like 2nd inning and didn't even realize we almost got no-no ed until this morning. WOW

Lets hope Hunter Greene doesn't add to his August ERA of 17.55 or somein like that.

This west coast trip is really crushing any hopes and dreams of the postseason for me.

Reds continuing to drop further and further out of the WC race every game, sitting at 2.0 games out.
Reds could easily be 5+ games out after the Mariners, if not after the Cubs.
Next 5 games against other NL WC teams before even getting to the Mariners.

Reds will have just 20 games remaining after the Mariners series, so it would be tough to make up ground at that point.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Knock on wood, but we might actually be seeing a good Hunter Greene today.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2023, 05:08 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Knock on wood, but we might actually be seeing a good Hunter Greene today.

In his last start, he looked pretty good for 3 innings and then the wheels fell off in the 4th inning.

Let's see if he can beat that water mark.
Reply/Quote
Have a day CES!!!
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2023, 05:17 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: In his last start, he looked pretty good for 3 innings and then the wheels fell off in the 4th inning.

Let's see if he can beat that water mark.

Turns out he did which is nice to see a little bounce-back start.

He still absolutely needs a 3rd pitch he can throw effectively and with some regularity, though. It could really help his pitch efficiency as he just throws way too many pitches per inning.

Maybe I am getting older but I refuse to adjust my expectations to 5 inning starts being the acceptable norm. Lol

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2023, 07:12 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Turns out he did which is nice to see a little bounce-back start.

He still absolutely needs a 3rd pitch he can throw effectively and with some regularity, though. It could really help his pitch efficiency as he just throws way too many pitches per inning.

Maybe I am getting older but I refuse to adjust my expectations to 5 inning starts being the acceptable norm. Lol

Yup. it was great to see Greene finally get a good game under his belt. And I hope he can build off this and keep improving. Because I still just don't get the sense, he's a top-notch level starter. Like you say he needs a bigger resume pitch type wise. Relievers can get by for a couple innings with two pitches, starters can't. 

Great games CES, hope he can build off this as well.

And finally, Senzel sucks and I hate it for the guy. He came in with all that fanfare and it's been a train wreck ever since. In June he batted .143 July .130 August .163

Maybe he can go to another team and revive his career, a bit?
Reply/Quote
Hunter Greene goes over 5 innings and no runs, 6 K's to help Reds to a Win.

As much as Bengals need top pick Joe Burrow to get healthy, the Reds need top pick Hunter Greene to get healthy. Injuries happen and both have had major injuries in their early pro careers, but when healthy nobody questions their ability.

Now Reds end August with a much needed day off.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2023, 07:12 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Turns out he did which is nice to see a little bounce-back start.

Gotta wonder if they ever consider expanding active roster limit to account for more pitchers.
Greene hasn't pitched over 100 innings since before his June injury.
He's been at 90 every outing since he's returned.

I realize it's risky because it could give up run(s), but I'd like to think Greene could have been given opportunity to get the last 2 outs with 10 or so pitches to get to 100 on the day.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Yea it was a bounce back start for Hunter, for sure. I agree that 6 IP is still my standard for a "great start," but 5.1 is decent especially since he only gave up 4 base runners. I'll take a 0.75 WHIP start any day. 

I hope he develops an elite 3rd pitch soon. I think his fast ball has gotten better though since he stopped trying to average 100 mph. It looks to have good movement yesterday too. If he can keep that up, he'll be a good enough starter with just 2 pitches. A 3rd would just make him elite. 
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2023, 11:32 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Gotta wonder if they ever consider expanding active roster limit to account for more pitchers.
Greene hasn't pitched over 100 innings since before his June injury.
He's been at 90 every outing since he's returned.

I realize it's risky because it could give up run(s), but I'd like to think Greene could have been given opportunity to get the last 2 outs with 10 or so pitches to get to 100 on the day.

Well for one thing what is Bell's deal with 3 catchers ?
Reply/Quote
Well, no pitchers on the waiver wire. We did get Hunter Renfroe and Harrison Bader, so there's that.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2023, 03:04 PM)samhain Wrote: Well, no pitchers on the water wire.  We did get Hunter Renfroe and Harrison Bader, so there's that.

2 outfielders. Interesting with a crowded outfield. Have to think Hopkins and Senzel get sent back to AAA.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2023, 11:32 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I realize it's risky because it could give up run(s), but I'd like to think Greene could have been given opportunity to get the last 2 outs with 10 or so pitches to get to 100 on the day.

David Bell doesn't believe in pitchers finishing innings. Dude absolutely loves him some mid-inning pitching changes. It actually drives me a bit crazy because he'll constantly not let a starter get the 3rd out of an inning even if the 2nd out was a strikeout, a relief pitcher comes in and gets the 3rd out, then sits down and cools off before coming back out and walking guys because they're not coming into the game warmed up fresh out of the bullpen leading to another mid-inning pitching change.

Doesn't let our starters grow accustomed to getting themselves out of jams or finishing strong which is something pitchers need to learn to do to be good pitchers, and makes our bullpen guys pitch primarily out of the bench rather than out of the bullpen.

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2023, 03:04 PM)samhain Wrote: Well, no pitchers on the water wire.  We did get Hunter Renfroe and Harrison Bader, so there's that.

Yep. The Guardians came in and scooped up all of the good pitchers.

I'm not sure why. I guess they think they can make up those 5 games against the Twins?
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2023, 03:44 PM)cinci4life Wrote: 2 outfielders. Interesting with a crowded outfield. Have to think Hopkins and Senzel get sent back to AAA.

Sounds like Lopez and Siani were DFA'd.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2023, 03:44 PM)cinci4life Wrote: 2 outfielders. Interesting with a crowded outfield. Have to think Hopkins and Senzel get sent back to AAA.

Definitely Hopkins. The other will be either Senzel or Lopez, imo.

They do get an extra roster spot tomorrow, but I think Fraley is coming back soon.

Bader is an outstanding defender (Gold glove CF 2 years ago) and he kills left handed pitching (.343/.392/.687/1.078 in 67 ABs).

Renfroe, I think they added him because of his power. We were lacking a bigtime HR threat off the bench (our bench before this was Fairchild, Lopez, Senzel). Renfroe is having a down year, but he has been a 25 HR guy 5 of his last 7 seasons, with one of those seasons being an injured season and the other being this current season where he has 19 (Still could get to 25).

I think he could be a good platoon with Benson against lefties, rather than Fairchild. 

He's a bit of a paradox as a defender though. Elite arm strength (92nd percentile), but his OAA are really bad (18th percentile). Means he probably takes bad paths to the ball. Either way, he could be useful as a late inning defensive replacement as well if you're worried about sacrifice flies (like in overtime).
Reply/Quote

Bader is a terrific defender and hits lefties well.  Refroe adds some pop.  I get it.  Not much to lose.  

Senzel, I'd assume will play a bit in the infield with the injuries to India, Votto and McLain.
Reply/Quote
Lodolo officially done for the season.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/08/nick-lodolo-reportedly-wont-return-this-season.html
Reply/Quote