Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds June 2024 thread
Always nice to have a blowout win now and then. Huzzah Coors Field!

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2024, 11:25 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Always nice to have a blowout win now and then. Huzzah Coors Field!

I wouldn't celebrate until out 27 happens. It is Coors Field after all.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Well that happened.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
WOW

Reds score more runs in one game in June than they did in the entire month of May. Keep it going
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2024, 08:05 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: WOW

Reds score more runs in one game in June than they did in the entire month of May. Keep it going
If we were playing anywhere other than Colorado, I'd sarcastically say something like "whoa boys! Save some runs for the rest of the series!". But it's Colorado, I'd like to think we'll score some runs no matter what, this series.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2024, 09:54 AM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: If we were playing anywhere other than Colorado, I'd sarcastically say  something like "whoa boys! Save some runs for the rest of the series!". But it's Colorado, I'd like to think we'll score some runs no matter what, this series.

Right, games with football scores aren't uncommon there, LOL 14-10 or whatever? Be nice to see em pull up out of the basement this series.
Reply/Quote
Blake Dunn has been called up, sending Nick Martini down. My assumption is that he'll start tonight since the Rockies starter is a left hander.

Dunn played really well last season in A+ and AA, hitting a combined .312/.425/.522/.947 over 559 plate appearances with 62 BB (11.1%, above average) and 130 strikeouts (23.2%, below average) along with 23 HRs and 54 stolen bases.

He started the year in AAA and has not played very well so far, with a line of .223/.348/.378/.727. His numbers against RHP have been decent though, .250/.298/.558/.856 in 57 ABs.

I think Dunn has more potential than Martini. He was being kept in the minors just to accumulate experience in AAA. I think the Reds were hoping for better offensive production early on, but decided to make the move now for some reason.

It'll be interesting to see if he can make it back to his 2023 statistics in the majors.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2024, 04:08 PM)CJD Wrote: Blake Dunn has been called up, sending Nick Martini down. My assumption is that he'll start tonight since the Rockies starter is a left hander.

Dunn played really well last season in A+ and AA, hitting a combined .312/.425/.522/.947 over 559 plate appearances with 62 BB (11.1%, above average)  and 130 strikeouts (23.2%, below average) along with 23 HRs and 54 stolen bases.

He started the year in AAA and has not played very well so far, with a line of .223/.348/.378/.727. His numbers against RHP have been decent though, .250/.298/.558/.856 in 57 ABs.

I think Dunn has more potential than Martini. He was being kept in the minors just to accumulate experience in AAA. I think the Reds were hoping for better offensive production early on, but decided to make the move now for some reason.

It'll be interesting to see if he can make it back to his 2023 statistics in the majors.

Yep he's starting in LF tonight. 
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2024, 04:08 PM)CJD Wrote: Blake Dunn has been called up, sending Nick Martini down. My assumption is that he'll start tonight since the Rockies starter is a left hander.

Dunn played really well last season in A+ and AA, hitting a combined .312/.425/.522/.947 over 559 plate appearances with 62 BB (11.1%, above average)  and 130 strikeouts (23.2%, below average) along with 23 HRs and 54 stolen bases.

Martini is 33 years old and has never been anything but a bench player. I'm glad they're giving Dunn a shot.
Reply/Quote
Elly HR! That one has been a long time coming.

Reply/Quote
EDLC might be heating up now!
Reply/Quote
Reds are doing well in Colorado. I'm looking ahead to Chicago Cubs at Cincinnati this weekend. Always a great series. Many Cubs fans will be in stands, like a Steelers at Bengals game. Cubs fans always make the trip from Chicago to Cincinnati. It's always an action packed series, often extra innings games. Chicago, St Louis, Cincinnati are some of the Midwest rivals of NL for over a 100 years. Pittsburgh also. ....Cubs at Cincinnati always has Cub fans trying to out cheer hometown Reds fans. Should be fun.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Well this is getting interesting now.
Reply/Quote
Steer coming to life, Candle man hitting, Elly with a blast, Friedl back, perhaps they're clawing out of the team funk?

Montas no-no thru 7

Lets just hope it's not a temporary Colorado thing.
Reply/Quote
Can we just play every game in Colorado? haha.
Reply/Quote
Elly's defense giveth and taketh away.

But the plays he's capable of making are worth the plays he occasionally messes up, in my opinion.

He is showcasing gold glove level arm strength and range at shortstop.

He's just gotta rein in the errors.
Reply/Quote
Bats come alive in the 9th with a 6 run inning so far all with 2 outs!!!!!
Reply/Quote
That was an impressive 9th for sure.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Wow.

What a 9th inning. 6 runs with 2 outs and now it's a sweep.

Upcoming starting pitching matchups in the Cubs series.

Greene 3.44 ERA vs Assad 2.27 ERA
Lodolo 3.11 ERA vs Steele 4.10 ERA
Abbott 3.39 ERA vs Brown 3.33 ERA
Montas 4.00 ERA vs Imanaga 1.88 ERA

The day off before the two game series with the Guardians gives an extra day for Ashcraft to rest or gives them an extra day to make a decision on Williamson, who is killing it in his rehab starts. It's hard to send a guy down or move him to the bullpen after a game at Coors Field, but Ashcraft is now looking at a 5.05 ERA and Williamson looks to be ready. From Reds.com
Quote:60-DAY IL

LHP Brandon Williamson (left shoulder strain)
Expected return: June
Williamson made his fourth rehab start on June 2 and threw four scoreless innings with one hit and two strikeouts for Triple-A Louisville. The left-hander has looked great so far on his rehab assignment and could potentially make his season debut sometime in June. The 26-year-old has a 0.66 ERA with one earned run over 13 2/3 innings in his four rehab outings. (Last updated: June 2)

2B Matt McLain (left shoulder surgery)
Expected returnPossibly second half
Six weeks removed from shoulder surgery, McLain was cleared to resume throwing and running. He might be able to start swinging a bat in an additional six weeks, which he said would help determine a clearer timeline for his rehab. Both McLain and manager David Bell reaffirmed that the goal is for McLain to return this season. (Last updated: May 10)

RHP Ian Gibaut (right forearm strain)
Expected return: Later in 2024
Gibaut, who was transferred to the 60-day IL on May 7, underwent surgery on May 9 to relieve a compression in a forearm nerve -- called the Anterior Interosseous Nerve or AIN -- and although there were no immediate specifics, he was expected to require an extended recovery time. However, manager David Bell noted that Gibaut was expected to be able to pitch at some point this season. The club officially halted Gibaut’s rehab assignment for a second time after he reported feeling discomfort in his right forearm during his April 26 appearance with Triple-A Louisville. (Last updated: May 9)

RHP Tejay Antone (right elbow surgery)
Expected return:
Antone was moved to the 60-day IL on April 19 after he had right elbow and arm surgery on April 12 that repaired tears in his ulnar collateral ligament and flexor mass tendon. It was performed in Cincinnati by team orthopedic surgeon Dr. Timothy Kremchek. Antone, 30, has a 2.47 ERA over 45 big league games since 2020. (Last updated: April 19)
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2024, 07:37 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Wow.

What a 9th inning. 6 runs with 2 outs and now it's a sweep.

Upcoming starting pitching matchups in the Cubs series.

Greene 3.44 ERA vs Assad 2.27 ERA
Lodolo 3.11 ERA vs Steele 4.10 ERA
Abbott 3.39 ERA vs Brown 3.33 ERA
Montas 4.00 ERA vs Imanaga 1.88 ERA

The day off before the two game series with the Guardians gives an extra day for Ashcraft to rest or gives them an extra day to make a decision on Williamson, who is killing it in his rehab starts. It's hard to send a guy down or move him to the bullpen after a game at Coors Field, but Ashcraft is now looking at a 5.05 ERA and Williamson looks to be ready. From Reds.com

There's been a couple stretches in Ashcraft's career where it's looked like he was gonna develop into a solid starter. And then there's been a couple times he's not looked very good including the current one.

It may well be time to put Ashcraft in bullpen and bring up Williamson. We need all the help we can get.
Reply/Quote