Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds June 2024 thread
(06-09-2024, 02:56 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Well the win streak might be over already. Can't give up 3 runs in the first when the other pitcher has a sub 2.00  ERA.

Spiers came in and stabilized the game incredibly well, but the offense has been pretty quiet.

It's a shame Spiers didn't get the start, cuz it may be a 1 to 1 game right now.
Reply/Quote
This home plate ump has had an awful strike zone today mostly screwing the Reds.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Well it was bound to happen eventually
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Reds won the series and full crowds at GABP spending money.

I like Greene pushed back. He threw a lot of pitches going 7 innings. He has had injury issues in past. A little extra rest and he pitches early next weekend. I like that move.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Reds get a well earned day off today, then play 2 games against Cleveland, and get another day off.

It's a shame that we ended on an absolute dud by Frankie Montas. Spiers was incredible in relief though. Hopefully, this gives Spiers the inside track to be our new 5th starter with Ashcraft down in Louisville.

We won't need a 5th starter until June 17th (next Monday) because of the scheduled days off, so that should give them ample time to come up with a solution. I kind of hope they move Montas from Sunday to Monday and have Spiers start the 3rd Brewers game. Gives Montas a little bit more time to fix whatever is going on with him and allows Spiers to start a regular starter schedule.

We're only 2 games under .500 at this point. It would be incredible if we could just take both games against the Guardians, but they're really good. If we can split that series and win the Brewers series, we'd start next week only 1 game under .500. And then we'd have a relatively soft schedule of Pittsburgh, Boston, Pittsburgh, St. Louis to close out June.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2024, 10:23 AM)CJD Wrote: Reds get a well earned day off today, then play 2 games against Cleveland, and get another day off.

It's a shame that we ended on an absolute dud by Frankie Montas. Spiers was incredible in relief though. Hopefully, this gives Spiers the inside track to be our new 5th starter with Ashcraft down in Louisville.

We won't need a 5th starter until June 17th (next Monday) because of the scheduled days off, so that should give them ample time to come up with a solution. I kind of hope they move Montas from Sunday to Monday and have Spiers start the 3rd Brewers game. Gives Montas a little bit more time to fix whatever is going on with him and allows Spiers to start a regular starter schedule.

We're only 2 games under .500 at this point. It would be incredible if we could just take both games against the Guardians, but they're really good. If we can split that series and win the Brewers series, we'd start next week only 1 game under .500. And then we'd have a relatively soft schedule of Pittsburgh, Boston, Pittsburgh, St. Louis to close out June.

With Williamson's set back Spiers will probably get a chance sooner rather than later. It sure seemed Williamson was pitching well in minors and was ready to come up. Hopefully this is something minor and perhaps he can make it up by ASB ? 

I've got one eyebrow way up on Ashcraft. Whatever magic dust was working for him to start last season has worn off. It sure seems to be trending towards him going to bullpen. 

Montas it seems is going to be like a #5 starter at best. So yes, we need help if we hope to challenge for a WC spot.
Reply/Quote
Last year's number 1 pick... pitcher Rhett Lowder... has already moved up one level from High A Dayton to AA Chattanooga.
Reply/Quote
Glad the Reds are doing well lately. We still have half a season left to catch the Brewers. The Reds are making adjustments that seem to be working. That is on the manager.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Brent Suter starting, lets hope he can keep it close.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2024, 12:50 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Brent Suter starting, lets hope he can keep it close.

I think the last time Suter started he only pitched the first inning and then Martinez pitched the next 5 or 6 innings.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2024, 02:01 PM)cinci4life Wrote: I think the last time Suter started he only pitched the first inning and then Martinez pitched the next 5 or 6 innings.

Yes I was thinking he might pitch two?
Reply/Quote
Wheels of motion have started on Marte

https://www.redlegnation.com/2024/06/11/cincinnati-reds-send-noelvi-marte-on-rehab-assignment-to-louisville/
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2024, 06:20 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Wheels of motion have started on Marte

https://www.redlegnation.com/2024/06/11/cincinnati-reds-send-noelvi-marte-on-rehab-assignment-to-louisville/

It's exciting. He can't help us if we make the playoffs, but he could really give us a massive boost at the end of June, especially with the news that CES is considering season ending surgery.

The injuries this year have been brutal, but if we can stay around .500 until Marte comes back, our offense may be able to reach a new level in July. He was truly elite last year in the limited time he played. His stat line was .316/.366/.456/.822 with a 121 OPS+. He's still only 22 years old and ended the season on a 16 game hitting streak. 

I am hoping the time off has not made him rusty and/or his performance last season was not the result of the drugs he was taking, but if he comes back and builds on his rookie year, he will be an X factor in the second half of the season (Even though he can't play in the playoffs.)
Reply/Quote
Unfortunately both CES and Williamson might need season ending surgeries.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/06/season-ending-surgeries-possible-for-christian-encarnacion-strand-brandon-williamson.html
Reply/Quote
We haven't won 90+ games since 2013.

Sell The Team Bob.

- - - - -
(Also classic Reds Training Staff with CES... clear a player who isn't healthy, they want a second opinion, find out they have ligament damage, might need season ending surgery.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Perhaps with Lodolo going tonight we can steal one from Indians?
Reply/Quote
I don't like the all relief pitcher games. The days off this week will make it OK for the bullpen though. I'm looking ahead to the Milwaukee series. That is a Division Series. In football the Battle For Ohio is a Division Game, but not in baseball. I don't want to see these all reliever games in a Division Game. GM and Manager have to make out work schedules better than that. They should not be a starting pitcher short in Division Games, that would be poor management and use of Farm System.

GO REDS against Brewers this weekend, after a few days off this week.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Wonder if they're going to start Spiers Sunday?
Reply/Quote
2 homers for the Candy Man!!!
Reply/Quote
Diaz looked great tonight! Great win!
Reply/Quote