Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds June 2024 thread
I view this with Lodolo as a blessing in disguise. I'll take a couple of starts off of a young pitcher who they are worried about too many innings early in their careers. Let's hope he's not like Senzel and his entire career is nothing but stretches between DL visits.

Bryan Reynolds is on fire. I hate watching people crush the Reds, but as a fan of good baseball, it's almost always nice to see a player in "the zone"
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Benson now 0-24 and 1-30. There has to be guys in AAA just shaking their heads that this dude keeps getting trotted out there.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-25-2024, 08:40 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I view this with Lodolo as a blessing in disguise. I'll take a couple of starts off of a young pitcher who they are worried about too many innings early in their careers.  Let's hope he's not like Senzel and his entire career is nothing but stretches between DL visits.

Bryan Reynolds is on fire. I hate watching people crush the Reds, but as a fan of good baseball, it's almost always nice to see a player in "the zone"

This is his third time on the IL this season so he's already had a couple starts off. He's not that early in his career, he's in his age 26 season, he needs to stay healthy and accumulate innings.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2024, 12:24 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: This is his third time on the IL this season so he's already had a couple starts off. He's not that early in his career, he's in his age 26 season, he needs to stay healthy and accumulate innings.

I'm aware of that . . . . I also know that he barely pitched at all last season and going from barely pitching to 150 or so innings early in a career can be a bit of a stretch. This is just a blister. I'm an Angels fan and I watched Ohtani miss starts due to blisters multiple times. He should bounce back strong.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
Man, it just wasn't Hunter's night last night.

It seemed to be a mix of recovering from some kind of issue with hydration, even vomiting last night after throwing a pitch (right before giving up the home run in the first inning), and pure bad luck.

The 5 singles he gave up in the 3rd inning had exit velocities of 80.9, 81.4, 95.8, 69.2 and 75.4 mph. So only one hard hit ball among 5, yet all 5 landed for hits

It's a shame too, because our offense did their job. Scoring 5 runs should win ~80% of games.
Reply/Quote
As soon as I saw Greene upchucking on the mound on like the 2nd batter I figured it was gonna be a bad night for us. Was surprised they didn't pull him right then, Shocked

India is really turning it on!! Elly is still cooking, Steer is bringing it up some. But I'm not sure I've ever wanted a player out of the Reds lineup worse than Benson now. He turned in his normal night again 0-4 with 3 K's geeeezzzzz Bell play anybody else. Benson is now at .188 Sick
Reply/Quote
Ashcraft back today. I hope he's worked out his issues.
Reply/Quote

About as ugly as it gets.

Reply/Quote
(06-26-2024, 01:55 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I'm aware of that . . . . I also know that he barely pitched at all last season and going from barely pitching to 150 or so innings early in a career can be a bit of a stretch. This is just a blister. I'm an Angels fan and I watched Ohtani miss starts due to blisters multiple times. He should bounce back strong.

Ohtani pitched 155 innings as a 19-year-old, then 162 as a 20-year-old.

I'm not worried about the blisters, I am worried that it's already Lodolo's 3rd time on the IL this season and we haven't reached the half-way point of the season.

You're an Angels and a Reds fan? What God did you piss off that much? Lol

- - - - - - -

The baseball must be looking like a volleyball to India right now.

7-8, 5 doubles, 3 walks, 1 HBP in this series so far.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2024, 03:03 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Ohtani pitched 155 innings as a 19-year-old, then 162 as a 20-year-old.

I'm not worried about the blisters, I am worried that it's already Lodolo's 3rd time on the IL this season and we haven't reached the half-way point of the season.

You're an Angels and a Reds fan? What God did you piss off that much? Lol

- - - - - - -

The baseball must be looking like a volleyball to India right now.

7-8, 5 doubles, 3 walks, 1 HBP in this series so far.

The guys on Locked On Reds think that this is an IL stint that is really just about load management. Like, they don't want to rest Lodolo on the active roster, so just come up with a minor ailment to justify giving him a start or 2 off before bringing him back on in a couple weeks, just so they don't fatigue his arm early in the season.

If he gives us 125 to 150 IP this season, maybe they'll feel like they don't need to do this next season.
Reply/Quote
So I see Ashcraft got blasted again. 5.1 innings pitched, 9 hits, 6 runs, 2 HR, 5.45 ERA now. I think they're just going to have to admit Ashcraft just isn't a starter and move on to somebody else.
Reply/Quote
4 series losses in a row and a split with Cleveland. When do we are agree this team is not competitive enough to win and make the playoffs.

If we are going to play like a AAA team, them the should address the ticket prices to reflect that.
Reply/Quote
The Reds will probably need 86 wins to make the playoffs. That means they need to go 49-32, a .597 clip the rest of the way.

Good luck with that math problem.

Time for a fire sale, including players, coaches and management.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2024, 05:05 PM)Timanky12 Wrote: The Reds will probably need 86 wins to make the playoffs. That means they need to go 49-32, a .597 clip the rest of the way.

Good luck with that math problem.

Time for a fire sale, including players, coaches and management.

Yeah, it's fun to think about a wild card and whatnot, but that's not the reality.  This team might have some nice young talent, but they're not showing an ability to endure the demands of a 162 game season.  

The smart move here is to keep building for the future.  it's unexciting to say that major moves are unlikely to happen, but patience is probably the best prescription for now. Unfortunately, it's hard to ask a fanbase as fed-up as the one in Cincinnati to wait yet another year.  Big in-season moves just don't make a ton of sense right now.

I am firmly in the fire Bell camp at this point.  He can't do a lot to keep players healthy.  What he can do is try to mitigate the careless play both on the base paths and in the field.  This just looks like an undisciplined team right now.  That's on the manager and culture.  It's also likely good for a few wins if he could have prevented it.   

My hope is that ownership realizes that half measures in the offseason aren't going to get it done.  The lack of a RH power bat is inexcusable.  It was also well within the budget.  After a year of watching the young guys, they know what the roster lacks.  Fix it before next spring and learn from mistakes.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2024, 05:23 PM)samhain Wrote: Yeah, it's fun to think about a wild card and whatnot, but that's not the reality.  This team might have some nice young talent, but they're not showing an ability to endure the demands of a 162 game season.  

The smart move here is to keep building for the future.  it's unexciting to say that major moves are unlikely to happen, but patience is probably the best prescription for now. Unfortunately, it's hard to ask a fanbase as fed-up as the one in Cincinnati to wait yet another year.  Big in-season moves just don't make a ton of sense right now.

I am firmly in the fire Bell camp at this point.  He can't do a lot to keep players healthy.  What he can do is try to mitigate the careless play both on the base paths and in the field.  This just looks like an undisciplined team right now.  That's on the manager and culture.  It's also likely good for a few wins if he could have prevented it.   

My hope is that ownership realizes that half measures in the offseason aren't going to get it done.  The lack of a RH power bat is inexcusable.  It was also well within the budget.  After a year of watching the young guys, they know what the roster lacks.  Fix it before next spring and learn from mistakes.

Yep

This is pretty much a lost season already. No real need in trading away a bunch of guys at this point. Let em play and evaluate what we have for next season. 

Only things I want to see them do is send Benson down and put Ashcraft in bullpen. 
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2024, 05:33 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep

This is pretty much a lost season already. No real need in trading away a bunch of guys at this point. Let em play and evaluate what we have for next season. 

Only things I want to see them do is send Benson down and put Ashcraft in bullpen. 

Agree on both.  Letting Benson continue to toil isn't helping whatever development he may have left.  I'd love to see Ashcraft in the pen, too.

The most positive thing that happened this year is the emergence of Greene and Lodolo as top end starters.  I'd take it easy on both and do whatever can be done to have them ready for a healthy 2025.  
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2024, 09:13 PM)samhain Wrote: Agree on both.  Letting Benson continue to toil isn't helping whatever development he may have left.  I'd love to see Ashcraft in the pen, too.

The most positive thing that happened this year is the emergence of Greene and Lodolo as top end starters. I'd take it easy on both and do whatever can be done to have them ready for a healthy 2025.  

Right

And it seems Abbott is shaping up as a #3 or 4 kinda guy. After that it gets on shaky ground. I'm still holding out hope that Williamson can develop into a solid lower end starter. And this Spiers has shown some promise. 

Montas is 31 years old and I just doubt he's going to return to 2021 form. He's at best like a #5 kinda starter. Perhaps Lowder in minors can come up next season?
Reply/Quote
2-1 March - 2-1
14-13 April - 16-14
9-18 May - 25-32
12-11 so far in June - 37-43

3-10 in rubber games - - - 3-11 if you include the rainout of the 4th game scheduled vs Milwaukee early in the year turning that into a 3 game series.

Runs scored for each game of every series
New series
Opponents have little scouting on a very young team
Reds surprise, but also reveal their weaknesses
Opponents pitching staff communicates with each other and makes adjustments
Reds hitters also learn, but much too slowly and way too late
8 - 6 - 6 - vs Was
6 - 4 - 4 - @ Phi
2 - 9 - 1 - vs NYM
10 - 5 - 2 - vs Mil
11 - 5 - 11 - @ ChiWS
3 - 1 - 1 - @ Sea
7 - 7 - 3 - vs LAA
0 - 8 - 7 - 0 vs Phi
1 - 8 - 3 - @ Tex
5 - 4 - 2 - @ SD
0 - 1 - 1 - vs Bal
2 - 3 - 4 - vs Ari
4 - 1 - 5 - @ SF
5 - 6 - 1 - @ Ari
7 - 3 - 0 - 2 @ LAD
2 - 3 - 4 - vs SD
9 - 3 - 4 - vs LAD
3 - 1 - 3 - vs StL
5 - 5 - 5 - @ ChiC
13 - 4 - 12 @ Col
8 - 3 - 4 - 2 vs ChiC
3 - 4 - vs Cle
6 - 1 - 4 - @ Mil
1 - 2 - 0 - @ Pit
5 - 3 - 4 - vs Bos
11 - 5 - 1 - vs Pit
137 in 26 game ones - 5.27 runs
105 in 26 game twos - 4.04 runs
92 in 25 game threes - 3.68 runs - 69 in 23 games, which is exactly 3 runs per game, if you omit @ the crappy White Sox and @ Colorado
4 in three game fours - 1.33 runs
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
Good news, I hope, Marte has been activated and is in starting lineup. Bad news, so is Benson.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2024, 06:11 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: . Bad news, so is Benson.

And he gets a hit!
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote