Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds June 2024 thread
Candy man and Lodolo - great win.

Herd a bees looked totally lost vs Bee Bee. India wasn't much better. Elly, geeezzzz 3 strikeouts again.

Now a day of then Brewers. Hoping these dead bats come back to life.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Let's root for the Reds to sweep the Brew Crew this weekend. Would move us much closer to first in the division.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Three things stood out to me today
1) Lodolo throws much like Michael Lorenzen.  He flings it more than he throws it . . . all arm, no bending of the back. This will lead to many inaccurate pitches. He seems to have more consistency than Lorenzen but he's still all over the place. Effectively wild.

2) Absolute TEXTBOOK throw by Herd Of Bees . . . I b!tch and complain about these outfielders not knowing basic fundamentals . . . that kid nailed it.
a) Caught it high, near his shoulder for a quick transfer
b) Quick transfer along with a perfectly timed crow hop/switching of the feet to get into throwing position.
c) Line drive throw. Pay attention, Mr Friedl. I love watching him play baseball but please, no more rainbow throws.
d) PERFECTLY placed bounce that hit Stephenson in MID HOP!!! No short hop gives the catcher time to read the bounce instead of guess.

3) Elly may be too stupid to be a good baseball player right now.

Every person on this board knows that he's going to get pitched inside this weekend vs Milwaukee. What does this genius do? He puts his back foot closer to the plate then moves into the plate and gets "surprised" somehow as he avoids the pitch for a called strike.

Dude.

You're six foot f###ing five.

Trust me on this . . . You can reach the outside of the plate.

Quit diving into the plate, because you're getting yourself out more than they are, you f###ing moron.

And Dumb Bell needs to get him out of the #2 hole right now. He's so hot and cold that he's either the reason they score or, more likely, he's decapitating this offense. Get him out of there so it will light a fire under his ass.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2024, 06:33 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Three things stood out to me today
1) Lodolo throws much like Michael Lorenzen.  He flings it more than he throws it . . . all arm, no bending of the back. This will lead to many inaccurate pitches. He seems to have more consistency than Lorenzen but he's still all over the place. Effectively wild.

2) Absolute TEXTBOOK throw by Herd Of Bees . . . I b!tch and complain about these outfielders not knowing basic fundamentals . . . that kid nailed it.
a) Caught it high, near his shoulder for a quick transfer
b) Quick transfer along with a perfectly timed crow hop/switching of the feet to get into throwing position.
c) Line drive throw. Pay attention, Mr Friedl. I love watching him play baseball but please, no more rainbow throws.
d) PERFECTLY placed bounce that hit Stephenson in MID HOP!!! No short hop gives the catcher time to read the bounce instead of guess.

3) Elly may be too stupid to be a good baseball player right now.

Every person on this board knows that he's going to get pitched inside this weekend vs Milwaukee. What does this genius do? He puts his back foot closer to the plate then moves into the plate and gets "surprised" somehow as he avoids the pitch for a called strike.

Dude.

You're six foot f###ing five.

Trust me on this . . . You can reach the outside of the plate.

Quit diving into the plate, because you're getting yourself out more than they are, you f###ing moron.

And Dumb Bell needs to get him out of the #2 hole right now. He's so hot and cold that he's either the reason they score or, more likely, he's decapitating this offense. Get him out of there so it will light a fire under his ass.

Exactly

Why is it he crowds the plate so much? Are the batting coaches telling him to do this? Why is it he never or very rarely swings at the first pitch fastball right down the middle? 

I still believe he would benefit from some coaching up.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2024, 07:06 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Exactly

Why is it he crowds the plate so much? Are the batting coaches telling him to do this? Why is it he never or very rarely swings at the first pitch fastball right down the middle? 

I still believe he would benefit from some coaching up.
They need an Elly De La Cruz coach. A guy that only coaches him.

They can still have a fielding coach and a hitting coach but he needs a coach sitting with him every time he comes into the dugout.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
Maybe Elly will come alive against the Brewers. Who knows?  Maybe he and Marte will both catch fire at the same time when Marte is back. Hell, maybe the entire team catches lighting in a bottle.  Maybe I should lower my expectations. The Reds do better when I feel like they suck.   Mellow
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Back to needing to consider sending EDLC down for a week or two just to get his mind and mechanics right.

Over his last 99 PA (closest I could get to 100 without dividing games) he is hitting .161/.247/.264 (.512 OPS). That's currently an offensive black hole, made even worse by batting 2nd.

- - - - - -

Meanwhile some positives from other starters also over their last ~100 PA...

Jeimer Candelario is actually doing quite well hitting .264/.323/.571 (.894 OPS) over his last 99 PA. (Do not like him defensively at 3B though.)
Jonathan India hitting .263/.384/.375 (.759 OPS) over his last 99 PA.
Tyler Stephenson hitting .283/.337/.413 (.750 OPS) over his last 101 PA.
Will Benson hitting .229/.350/.434 (.784 OPS) over his last 101 PA. (Still a low BA and a ton of Ks, but getting on base and hitting power at least.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2024, 05:50 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Back to needing to consider sending EDLC down for a week or two just to get his mind and mechanics right.

Over his last 99 PA (closest I could get to 100 without dividing games) he is hitting .161/.247/.264 (.512 OPS). That's currently an offensive black hole, made even worse by batting 2nd.

- - - - - -

Meanwhile some positives from other starters also over their last ~100 PA...

Jeimer Candelario is actually doing quite well hitting .264/.323/.571 (.894 OPS) over his last 99 PA. (Do not like him defensively at 3B though.)
Jonathan India hitting .263/.384/.375 (.759 OPS) over his last 99 PA.
Tyler Stephenson hitting .283/.337/.413 (.750 OPS) over his last 101 PA.
Will Benson hitting .229/.350/.434 (.784 OPS) over his last 101 PA. (Still a low BA and a ton of Ks, but getting on base and hitting power at least.)

They need to do something, geezzzz

He's leading MLB with 92 strikeouts!! And I've heard the announcers say he gets one of the highest pitch rates in MLB of pitches out of the strike zone. I get it he's still very young. But for crying out loud, in the HR heaven GABP is he should be blasting em over the wall. He should be leading MLB in doubles with all that speed. On and on.

Something just isn't right with him.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2024, 06:45 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: They need to do something, geezzzz

He's leading MLB with 92 strikeouts!! And I've heard the announcers say he gets one of the highest pitch rates in MLB of pitches out of the strike zone. I get it he's still very young. But for crying out loud, in the HR heaven GABP is he should be blasting em over the wall. He should be leading MLB in doubles with all that speed. On and on.

Something just isn't right with him.

7 of his 11 HRs came in a 15 game stretch mid-April. He started the season terribly, had a 15 game streak where he was red hot and then he's been terrible again since April 24th.

Reply/Quote
Thought I was going to have to happily eat some crow because of EDLC getting two hits and a walk. Was going to make a joke about how I need to say he needs to be sent down to AAA more often because right after I say that he seems to do well.

....but 3 errors and a stupid out on the basepaths? Is he even trying to keep his head in the game? The only thing worse than an overmatched player is a player who has the talent and just doesn't execute.

Reply/Quote
Can't ever be easy can it.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
LOL!!

Better luck next time, *****!

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2024, 11:57 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Thought I was going to have to happily eat some crow because of EDLC getting two hits and a walk. Was going to make a joke about how I need to say he needs to be sent down to AAA more often because right after I say that he seems to do well.

....but 3 errors and a stupid out on the basepaths? Is he even trying to keep his head in the game? The only thing worse than an overmatched player is a player who has the talent and just doesn't execute.

5 errors total, damn!! Very lucky to pull it out with that kinda performance.

I've said it before and still believe Elly would do much better as a RF. That arm screams RF. 
Reply/Quote
I talked shit about Candellario and since then he's been on a tear. I'm gonna do this anytime he's in a horrible slump. Same with Greene. I talk shit, he goes out and dominates. I praise his progress after a dominant outting, and then he goes out and either sucks or can't hit the broadside of a barn if his life depends on it. FIVE walks through 4 innings?! We're lucky the Brew Crew couldn't take advantage of FIVE walks (and FOUR errors, wtf).
If there is anyone reading this that's good with Photoshop or AI, please post a pic of Hunter Greene's roster photo wearing Rick Vaughn skull & crossbones custom eye glasses. Send another to the Reds front office while you're at it!?

Can't REALLY complain though, a win is a win.. especially against a divisional team that's been handing us our ass for a few years. There's NO WAY they send EDLC down to get his head right. WHO will play SS? The kid who backflipped and got tased?
Reply/Quote
Friedl: has been a big part of the Reds turn around here in June, so glad he's back.

Elly: so hoping this series is the beginning of him getting out of his funk.

Candyman: WOW! has he did a 180 at the plate. And I was ready to can him

Steer: seems to be back in a slump, hoping he can get out of it soon.

Fraley: seems to be steady but still lacking power.

Stephenson: has stayed fairly steady and I'm good with his production being a catcher.

Herd a bees: Man I so hope he can learn to hit ML pitching because he's a top notch fielder.

India: kinda is what he is

Benson: I've kinda lost hope for him
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2024, 07:17 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Unfortunately both CES and Williamson might need season ending surgeries.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/06/season-ending-surgeries-possible-for-christian-encarnacion-strand-brandon-williamson.html

Williamson will hold off on surgery for now. He will receive injections and be reevaluated in 3 weeks.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2024, 11:57 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Thought I was going to have to happily eat some crow because of EDLC getting two hits and a walk. Was going to make a joke about how I need to say he needs to be sent down to AAA more often because right after I say that he seems to do well.

Something is off with Peralta. He was cruising and his last three outings were pretty poor. He pitched him away for the most part.

Although he got the win, Greene pitched like the Brewers are in his head. That was probably his best outing against them, but he pitched like he was scared and Hunter Greene does not pitch scared.

Abbott with 46 pitches after 2 innings. Not looking like he'll be going past the 5th at this rate.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2024, 05:59 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Something is off with Peralta. He was cruising and his last three outings were pretty poor. He pitched him away for the most part.

Although he got the win, Greene pitched like the Brewers are in his head. That was probably his best outing against them, but he pitched like he was scared and Hunter Greene does not pitch scared.

Abbott with 46 pitches after 2 innings. Not looking like he'll be going past the 5th at this rate.

Honestly the fact we won last night while giving up 8 walks and 5 errors is a minor miracle. I'll take it, but we certainly can't expect any more Ws this year with that kind of performance because that's normally a recipe for a ton of Ls.

Still not great at 57 after 3, but an 11 pitch 3rd inning certainly helps get a pitcher back on track towards a solid length start.

Reply/Quote
(06-15-2024, 05:59 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Abbott with 46 pitches after 2 innings. Not looking like he'll be going past the 5th at this rate.

Seems lately the starters have been throwing 20-30 pitches in the first even if they don't give up a run. Just can't be making a habit of that.
Reply/Quote
And Abbott likely just lost the game.
Reply/Quote