Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds March/April 2024 Thread
What a win last night. To be honest, I turned the game off in the 5th inning after their starting pitcher, who we were hitting well in the 1st and 2nd inning, but failed to get any runs across the plate (very odd sac fly attempt in the first inning with India not even trying to slide under the catcher who had to reach above his head to catch the relay), struck out 4 straight players and 8 total in 5 innings.

I turned it back on after I saw we were tied entering the 9th inning, so I was able to enjoy the grand slam in real time.

Still, frustrating to watch Elly strike out 4 times in one game. It's still early in the season, but this needs to stop. 9 strikeouts and just 1 walk in 16 ABs is insane.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2024, 11:57 AM)CJD Wrote: What a win last night. To be honest, I turned the game off in the 5th inning after their starting pitcher, who we were hitting well in the 1st and 2nd inning, but failed to get any runs across the plate (very odd sac fly attempt in the first inning with India not even trying to slide under the catcher who had to reach above his head to catch the relay), struck out 4 straight players and 8 total in 5 innings.

I turned it back on after I saw we were tied entering the 9th inning, so I was able to enjoy the grand slam in real time.

Still, frustrating to watch Elly strike out 4 times in one game. It's still early in the season, but this needs to stop. 9 strikeouts and just 1 walk in 16 ABs is insane.

He better be careful to not turn into another Billy Hamilton.
There was so much hype around Hamilton coming into the league because of his speed and hitting in the minor leagues, but man did he really suffer at the plate.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2024, 11:57 AM)CJD Wrote: What a win last night. To be honest, I turned the game off in the 5th inning after their starting pitcher, who we were hitting well in the 1st and 2nd inning, but failed to get any runs across the plate (very odd sac fly attempt in the first inning with India not even trying to slide under the catcher who had to reach above his head to catch the relay), struck out 4 straight players and 8 total in 5 innings.

(04-02-2024, 12:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: He better be careful to not turn into another Billy Hamilton.
There was so much hype around Hamilton coming into the league because of his speed and hitting in the minor leagues, but man did he really suffer at the plate.

Yep

But unlike H. Greene we can still use the young excuse on Elly, he just turned 22 a couple months ago. But 153 strikeouts in 404 at bats is just way, way to high!! He's pushing towards striking out every other at bat. Somebody please coach him up.

Great job with the slam Spencer Steer with the Grand Slam. I believe all things considered he's been our most consistent producer over the last season and change. But he doesn't really get the press others do.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2024, 01:24 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep

But unlike H. Greene we can still use the young excuse on Elly, he just turned 22 a couple months ago. But 153 strikeouts in 404 at bats is just way, way to high!! He's pushing towards striking out every other at bat. Somebody please coach him up.

Great job with the slam Spencer Steer with the Grand Slam. I believe all things considered he's been our most consistent producer over the last season and change. But he doesn't really get the press others do.

The fascinating thing about Elly is he definitely looks like he's got a better batter's eye than last year. He is holding up on a lot of breaking pitches and inside pitches that he would have bit on last year.

At the same time, he seems to be taking a LOT of fastballs in the middle of the plate.

It's baffling.
Reply/Quote
Entertaining season so far.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2024, 02:25 PM)CJD Wrote: The fascinating thing about Elly is he definitely looks like he's got a better batter's eye than last year. He is holding up on a lot of breaking pitches and inside pitches that he would have bit on last year.

At the same time, he seems to be taking a LOT of fastballs in the middle of the plate.

It's baffling.

Mind game.  Trying to fool opposing pitchers into thinking they can throw him fastballs.
Reply/Quote
Might be a good idea not to throw anything up to Harper.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
I swear the Reds have struck out 20 times in the last two games on that mid-eighties breaking ball.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Elly...come on man.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
That's 2 outs EDLC should have made and now cost 2 runs. What the F is he doing?
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2024, 09:48 PM)cinci4life Wrote: That's 2 outs EDLC should have made and now cost 2 runs. What the F is he doing?

One man wrecking crew the wrong way.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Yeah I’m done

Reply/Quote
Well that does it. Throw one low and he still finds a way to golf it out.
Reply/Quote
Sounds like I'm glad I didn't watch it.
Reply/Quote
Due to the nature of Elly's hype and status as a top prospect, he is going to be scrutinized more than any player on this team. Often unfairly.

But man, is he making it easy to criticize him.
Reply/Quote
I'm surprised they played the game. The precipitation that went over Cincy was the precipitation that hit Philly last night. Except in Philly it was much colder.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2024, 10:00 AM)CJD Wrote: Due to the nature of Elly's hype and status as a top prospect, he is going to be scrutinized more than any player on this team. Often unfairly.

But man, is he making it easy to criticize him.

What did he do ?
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2024, 02:08 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: What did he do ?

2 big errors in last night's game. 1 cost a run when there were 2 outs.

The other was a big error on a potential double play ball that resulted in no outs in an inning that later had a grand slam hit to put the game out of reach.

If they turn that double play, they may never get to the Grand Slam. Hell, even if they get the runner at 2nd, that prevents a run and maybe allows the pitcher to approach the following players differently to stay away from Harper. Like an unintentional intentional walk to Harper. Couldn't do that because the bases were full.

In essence, Elly's errors most likely resulted in the loss.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2024, 02:16 PM)CJD Wrote: 2 big errors in last night's game. 1 cost a run when there were 2 outs.

The other was a big error on a potential double play ball that resulted in no outs in an inning that later had a grand slam hit to put the game out of reach.

If they turn that double play, they may never get to the Grand Slam. Hell, even if they get the runner at 2nd, that prevents a run and maybe allows the pitcher to approach the following players differently to stay away from Harper. Like an unintentional intentional walk to Harper. Couldn't do that because the bases were full.

In essence, Elly's errors most likely resulted in the loss.

Damn

Wasted
Reply/Quote
Reds win on a cold, raw night in Philly. Pirates and Brewers lost tonight too. Back home this weekend to get more wins.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote