Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds May 2024 thread
(05-12-2024, 07:56 PM)michaelsean Wrote: How many Reds does it take to catch a baseball?

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Reds team struggle with the fundamentals as much as this one. Just terrible.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-12-2024, 07:55 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Absolute clown show.

Any other park but this one i would agree but here with those swirling winds not so much. Both teams have struggled with pop ups the whole series.

Meanwhile the umps are picking a hell of a time to start making bs calls.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2024, 08:03 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Any other park but this one i would agree but here with those swirling winds not so much. Both teams have struggled with pop ups the whole series.

Meanwhile the umps are picking a hell of a time to start making bs calls.

It was miscommunication, not the wind. And they almost did it again.

Reply/Quote
**** this team

Reply/Quote
L
Reply/Quote
Slider, slider, slider, slider, meat fastball.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(05-12-2024, 08:11 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It was miscommunication, not the wind. And they almost did it again.

Wind had a lot to do with it. And why bring Sims in? I knew it was over the minute he was called into the game.
Reply/Quote
The bullpen is not very good in 2024, including Diaz. You can argue me on this, but all the blown games by bullpen in close games show the bullpen isn't very good so far. The starting pitching leaves a lot to be desired also. If Reds don't have Pitching and Defense, they are in for a very bad season, because it's not like Reds can afford the best hitters in the game.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Let’s not make excuses for basic baseball, like catch the ball. This is basic high school baseball stuff. This team can not even do the basic stuff, like make contact with less than 2 outs to try to score a run.

This team is on life support, and I say pull the plug.

Time to being in some baseball minds from top to bottom and start over. We can’t even beat a good high school team.
Reply/Quote
2 for 12 with RISP, stranded 13 runners. You just can't win like that.
Reply/Quote
At least bengals training camp is right around the corner and we can flush the Reds down the toilet until next year.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2024, 09:15 PM)Timanky12 Wrote: At least bengals training camp is right around the corner and we can flush the Reds down the toilet until next year.

I never even entertain the idea the Reds will compete. Zero excitement every April. Until this organization is turned over from top to bottom, mediocre will be their ceiling.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(05-12-2024, 09:09 PM)kevin Wrote: The bullpen is not very good in 2024, including Diaz.  You can argue me on this, but all the blown games by bullpen in close games show the bullpen isn't very good so far.  The starting pitching leaves a lot to be desired also.  If Reds don't have Pitching and Defense, they are in for a very bad season, because it's not like Reds can afford the best hitters in the game.

So during this losing streak there was only the one blowout (11-1) to the Orioles. The rest of the games have been winnable to very winnable because of the pitching. The bigger problem is the offense not showing up. Before today, April 29 was the last time they put up at least 5 runs. That tells you all you need to know as to why this team isn't winning.
Reply/Quote
I keep waiting for a winning streak and it never develops. We will be lucky to be a .500 team again this year.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2024, 09:49 PM)cinci4life Wrote: So during this losing streak there was only the one blowout (11-1) to the Orioles. The rest of the games have been winnable to very winnable because of the pitching. The bigger problem is the offense not showing up. Before today, April 29 was the last time they put up at least 5 runs. That tells you all you need to know as to why this team isn't winning.

The games may have been winnable, but the bullpen keeps blowing games. 

Maybe we are both right.  Both the hitting and the pitching are awful.  In Fantasy Leagues, the only Reds pitcher worth having is Hunter Greene so far.   As for hitters, De La Cruz and Steer are worth having, none of the rest.  So Reds have 3 good players this year, which is far from a solid team. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
This has been a miserable month of baseball thus far in May.

It's partially bad luck, partially bad calls by umpires, partially bad decisions on the players' parts and all around an inability to take advantage of situations to get a clear lead and hold onto it.

Why do you throw a 93 mph fastball down Broadway on an 0-2 pitch against a player who has a tendency to chase with 2 outs and 2 on?

It's just been frustrating to watch.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2024, 09:09 PM)kevin Wrote: The bullpen is not very good in 2024, including Diaz.  You can argue me on this, but all the blown games by bullpen in close games show the bullpen isn't very good so far.  The starting pitching leaves a lot to be desired also.  If Reds don't have Pitching and Defense, they are in for a very bad season, because it's not like Reds can afford the best hitters in the game.

Candelario: $15m/yr  (90 OPS+, -0.1 bWAR)
Martinez: $13m/yr (88 ERA+, 0.2 bWAR)
Pagan: $8m/yr (87 ERA+, 0.0 bWAR)

$36m/yr and 10% below league average is the best of the three and you've gotten a combined 0.1 WAR in 40 games.

Mookie Betts signed a couple years ago for $30.4m/yr. Juan Soto signed for $31m/yr.

The Reds can afford the best hitters in the game, they just choose to spend it on 3 bad players instead. They don't lack money, they lack competence....... Last year they spent $29.5m on Mike Moustakas and Wil Meyers (total of -0.6 bWAR for the Reds). The year before that they spent $40.5m on Mike Moustakas, Mike Minor, Shogo Akiyama, and Tommy Pham (total of -0.9 bWAR). That's $106m over the last 3 years contributing a current total of -1.4 bWAR instead of just 1 of the best hitters in baseball.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2024, 09:22 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I never even entertain the idea the Reds will compete. Zero excitement every April. Until this organization is turned over from top to bottom, mediocre will be their ceiling.

Somewhere deep in my heart I know this is true. 

But I was just hoping
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2024, 11:44 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I keep waiting for a winning streak and it never develops. We will be lucky to be a .500 team again this year.

The only steak coming is another losing streak.  What was it last year or the year below they had two 10 game losing streaks? 
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2024, 10:50 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Candelario: $15m/yr  (90 OPS+, -0.1 bWAR)
Martinez: $13m/yr (88 ERA+, 0.2 bWAR)
Pagan: $8m/yr (87 ERA+, 0.0 bWAR)

$36m/yr and 10% below league average is the best of the three and you've gotten a combined 0.1 WAR in 40 games.

Mookie Betts signed a couple years ago for $30.4m/yr. Juan Soto signed for $31m/yr.

The Reds can afford the best hitters in the game, they just choose to spend it on 3 bad players instead. They don't lack money, they lack competence....... Last year they spent $29.5m on Mike Moustakas and Wil Meyers (total of -0.6 bWAR for the Reds). The year before that they spent $40.5m on Mike Moustakas, Mike Minor, Shogo Akiyama, and Tommy Pham (total of -0.9 bWAR). That's $106m over the last 3 years contributing a current total of -1.4 bWAR instead of just 1 of the best hitters in baseball.

Bingo

Nickel and diming on older washed up might have a very slim chance of being just above mediocore, maybe?? Instead of going out and getting a true upper tier starter. A true upper tier RH hitting outfielder.

Sell the team - Bob
Reply/Quote